• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

I was browsing to replace the kiddo's P4 machine with something a bit faster; This seems to be a warm deal, considering a Win7 upgrade disk is half this price at retail. Enjoy!

SPECS:

Brand HP
Model DC7700
Type Business Desktops & Workstations
Form Factor Slim/Small form factor
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
Processor Main Features: 64 bit Dual Core Processor
Memory 2GB
Hard Drive 750GB
Optical Drive: DVD
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium
CPU Type Core 2 Duo
CPU Speed 2.40GHz

Newegg
See Newegg coupons that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

DC7700
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why the red, good processor if not gaming

Reds 'cos its beat up used 2 or 3 year lease return. And yeah overpriced to boot.

BPH789 said:   Reds 'cos its beat up used 2 or 3 year lease return. And yeah overpriced to boot.

It will not appeal to everyone, much like your grammar.

But anyone looking to step up from a 6 or 7 year old system, it makes FW sense.

Win 7 upgrade included, not to mention, a Dual core processor + PCI-E slot providing a path forward from AGP/Single core systems.

At the end of the day, you have a current era OS, access to cheap and plentiful video cards as well as serviceable box for video games, email or HTPC duties (750gb drive included).

With your savings, you could add a Q6600 and BR drive, giving you quad-core goodness and Blu-Ray playback for less than $250 total invested.

i use small form factor Dell desktop like this one for Win 7 HTPC. With upgraded video card & wireless keyboard it is very capable system. It fits nicely on audio/video stand in living room.

2cheap2eat said:   Why the red, good processor if not gaming

Because the memory will cost so much to upgrade IMO. It's not a bad deal but for $300 you can get a core i3 on sale on the right day or out of the outlets. It's too close once you buy overpriced old ram for this computer.

Logan71 said:   BPH789 said:   Reds 'cos its beat up used 2 or 3 year lease return. And yeah overpriced to boot.

It will not appeal to everyone, much like your grammar.

But anyone looking to step up from a 6 or 7 year old system, it makes FW sense.

Win 7 upgrade included, not to mention, a Dual core processor + PCI-E slot providing a path forward from AGP/Single core systems.

At the end of the day, you have a current era OS, access to cheap and plentiful video cards as well as serviceable box for video games, email or HTPC duties (750gb drive included).

With your savings, you could add a Q6600 and BR drive, giving you quad-core goodness and Blu-Ray playback for less than $250 total invested.

Yeah, it's WAY faster than a P4. I doubt it will take a Q6600 though. They are power hogs. I know Dell 530s won't take one unless they came with one. A celeron 530 will take an E8500 with no bios update but it won't take a Q6600. The 6600s has special motherboard that supplied a lot more power. HP may be different. YMMV.

These are all off-lease computers that were returned by businesses when they upgraded. There are thousands on the market of various brands, all with nearly identical specs. On average, they are in great shape, and are a great option for a low priced computer. I gave red because of the price, you can get these on eBay in the $100-$130 range. It just takes a little more work to find them, because you have to weed through the ones with XP Pro, Vista, or that have had their HDDs pulled.

I wouldn't mind getting a decent speed core2duo chip to put in my older PC (MB is compatible with C2D), is eBay best source?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014