• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
dealdoug said:   dnrlittle said:   I have a couple of these. This is a cool flash light, very bright, nice spot and good throw. About the brightest light for $10 you are going to find.

The eBay batts above are a good deal if you want to buy some. I usually get them from old laptop batteries that won't charge anymore.

I have a couple of chargers like this that work pretty good for $8.40.
http://dx.com/p/trustfire-tr-001-multi-purpose-lithium-battery-c...

Just wondering, if you get your 18650's from old laptop batteries that wont charge, how do you get them to work?

This^^ Is'nt it this risky? I've heard these batteries are pretty dangerous when charged incorrectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TrustFire-wire-charger-2-protected-18650...

good deal (As it comes w/ the trustfire albeit cheaper batteries); the pre requisites for this deal make it not as hot, lol

Check BLF / CPF for battery, charger, and light reviews.

The Nitecore i4 charger mentioned above is a good one. The Panasonic NCR18650B are very good cells. There are other quality ones available, but there are also duds. Do research first. Lithium rechargeable batteries are generally safe if you use a proper charger. ALso helps if whatever you are using them in has a smart driver that will shut off once they get to a low voltage. Going too low will damage the cells.

Laptop batteries can be "mined" for 18650 cells. Often you will have one or two dead cells and some good ones. If the pack is old, the good ones will not be able to hold as much juice as new cells, but they will still be useful. Best bet for checking the cells is to get a hobby charger that has charge/discharge functions and a display so you can see how much it was able to put into the cell.

I have this flashlight. Got one for my bro too. Its super bright for 10 bucks. Ordered some 18650 off eBay. Ultrafire 4000mah rechargeable with TN270 Tenergy charger.
Not bad for the price you pay. 10 + 8 *batteries + 12 charger... = awesome brightness

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-18650-3000mAh-Rechargeable-Flashlig...

Those batteries as well as all ultrafire / trustfire 18650's are crap.
Look for Panasonic or Sanyo cells.

I have at least 15 XM-L T6 LED flashlights, several similar to this one.
VERY good light, unlike any other LED flashlight you have ever seen, you
really have to see it to believe it.

For everything you ever wanted to know about flashlights see candlepowerforums.com

Bpace07 said:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-18650-3000mAh-Rechargeable-Flashlig...

Those batteries as well as all ultrafire / trustfire 18650's are crap.
Look for Panasonic or Sanyo cells.

I have at least 15 XM-L T6 LED flashlights, several similar to this one.
VERY good light, unlike any other LED flashlight you have ever seen, you
really have to see it to believe it.

For everything you ever wanted to know about flashlights see candlepowerforums.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TrustFire-wire-charger-2-protected-18650...

are these ones really that bad for a layman? I'm more of a person that finds candlepowerforum humorous, if that helps answer my question. just wonder how much faster they drain, etc. thought trustfire would be so-so considering everyone likes the charger (same manufacturer?). ty

hakujin said:   are these ones really that bad for a layman?

for the capacity you're really getting, they're the same price as the more expensive ones

I'll quote myself since people keep asking the same question

crash369 said:   this battery review may be helpful to some here

Dont really care for the beam on this one. I have 2 of these. It has a "donut hole" shaped beam and horrible for flood use. It does have good throw.

Thanks for the info, OP. In for one, added a $10 battery from eBay, $9 charger from DealExtreme.

A $30 for a rechargeable flashlight with a great beam is not a bad deal at all.

lordoffire said:   hakujin said:   are these ones really that bad for a layman?

for the capacity you're really getting, they're the same price as the more expensive ones

the ones in the quoted link claim 3600mAh, but in battery review the 18650 only seem to go up to 3000mAh. do you think that's what bundles w/ my trustfire charger or more likely relabeled non trustfire part?

hakujin said:   also, how bout these 'guaranteed' sanyos?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SANYO-UR18650S-18650-3-6V-1950mA...

why pay $5 a piece for those when you can get the 3000/3100 protected panasonics for only $6-7 from a reputable seller

hakujin said:   the ones in the quoted link claim 3600mAh, but in battery review the 18650 only seem to go up to 3000mAh. do you think that's what bundles w/ my trustfire charger or more likely relabeled non trustfire part?
in short, as what flashlight people would probably tell you, all trustfire and ultrafire are junk...and a ripoff

(gonna be more like 300mah)

btw....just got it in the mail today

probably the fastest I've ever gotten anything from Meritline

lordoffire said:   hakujin said:   .....

why pay $5 a piece when you can get the 3000/3100 protected panasonics for only $6-7 from a reputable seller??

in short, as what flashlight people would probably tell you, all trustfire and ultrafire are junk...and a ripoff

Help me out if you can as I have not been able to find those batteries delivered at that price.

Any suggestions/links?

Thanks.
Thanks!

zettler said:   
Help me out if you can as I have not been able to find those batteries delivered at that price.

Any suggestions/links?

Thanks.
Thanks!

they ship from china, but the people at the various light forums have had good success with them...legit brand and capacities: (only look at sanyo, samsung, or panasonic)

http://www.fasttech.com/category/1420/batteries/?18650%20protect...

Thank you very much. I was just concerned about this company as I have no experience with them.

These are nice. I highly recommend

lordoffire said:   in short, as what flashlight people would probably tell you, all trustfire and ultrafire are junk...and a ripoff

300mah? Let's be serious.

Did you read Crash 369's link? So you're saying people are crazy to pay for "junky" batteries that will get you 2 hours @ 1A, when "real" batteries that cost twice as much will only give you 2.5 hours @ 1A?

I'm pretty sure I'd rather have 4 batteries that yield 8 hours of time than 2 batteries that yield 5 hours of time. I'm not saying the nicer batteries don't have their place, but I am saying we can be more open-minded.

thanks for the link. In for 6 sanyo

I already have several lasers and flashlights (t5 based) that use 18650 cells. I have gotten both Samsung and Ultrafire cells and although the Samsung lasts a little longer its not a big deal in a RECHARGABLE system. All my lasers came with rechargers so I have 3-4 single cell chargers scattered around.

If I was using these in something other than a flashlight or laser it might matter a bit more. My Arctic S3 has a pretty big drain, but its a (big boy)toy anyway. For an airplane I would care, but not a torch.

How is the beam - is it wide enough that it would make a good bike light?

henrysunset said:   How is the beam - is it wide enough that it would make a good bike light?

I think it'd be too large for that...

get the cheap $6-7 one that gets posted repeatedly; you can change the focus, it's plenty bright, lasts a decent while, and only takes a single AA

if you go for some high quality/higher capacity AAs, that'd be pretty sweet

w000t....got some batteries today; doubt they have a very strong charge but will test it outside tonight

still waiting for charger

so far the only thing wrong is that is changes modes every time you turn it on and off

it has a fairly small focus point, but it much better for inside use if you take out the reflector thingy....nice wide beam

lordoffire said:   hakujin said:   also, how bout these 'guaranteed' sanyos?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SANYO-UR18650S-18650-3-6V-1950mA...

why pay $5 a piece for those when you can get the 3000/3100 protected panasonics for only $6-7 from a reputable seller

hakujin said:   the ones in the quoted link claim 3600mAh, but in battery review the 18650 only seem to go up to 3000mAh. do you think that's what bundles w/ my trustfire charger or more likely relabeled non trustfire part?

well... didn't cost that much more on top of the charger; I'm not a battery geek; if they last a half decent amount of time and are brighter than my $6 cree AA, I'll be happy. this sort of thing seems to entertain you far more than it would me. to each his own. i wish this thing just took standard AAs; so many of them so dislike mucking w/ a rechargeable.

edit: by the way, link for $6 Panasonic 3000 from reputable seller? I see 2900s for nearly twice as much http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-PANASONIC-NCR18650-3-6V-2900mAh-...

Got mine and it is bright!!! Light output is comparable to a 65 watt recessed flood light. The $10 light turned into $30 with charger and 4 batteries. Cool toy!

can't wait.

received mine and tried both fully charged batteries (to which show full charge w/ batt tester); nothing, nadda, zip. how anti-climatic; think I got a dud.

nm, got it working (After banging it around a little bit, lol); guys, hate to be the contrarian here, but not really much brighter (if at all from fresh AA) than the $5 one we've all come to love. was i the only one expecting a spot light (after being bedazzled from the previous) and getting an incremental change at 3x the size?

if it's not several times brighter than the cheap one, the batteries are obviously not charged all the way (which would have been illegal I believe)

dealdoug said:   dnrlittle said:   I have a couple of these. This is a cool flash light, very bright, nice spot and good throw. About the brightest light for $10 you are going to find.

The eBay batts above are a good deal if you want to buy some. I usually get them from old laptop batteries that won't charge anymore.

I have a couple of chargers like this that work pretty good for $8.40.
http://dx.com/p/trustfire-tr-001-multi-purpose-lithium-battery-c...

Just wondering, if you get your 18650's from old laptop batteries that wont charge, how do you get them to work?

When you remove the cells from the battery usually 6 to 9 cells a few of the cells will be bad ( not able to charge) the rest will charge in an appropriate charger like the one that I linked to. I have been using cells like that for two or three years (since I discovered LED lights like these.

hakujin said:   nm, got it working (After banging it around a little bit, lol); guys, hate to be the contrarian here, but not really much brighter (if at all from fresh AA) than the $5 one we've all come to love. was i the only one expecting a spot light (after being bedazzled from the previous) and getting an incremental change at 3x the size?

Same here. Seems only slightly brighter than the $5 Q5, and that is with a 18650 in this T6, compared to a "AA" in the Q5. And the T6 seems twice the size as the $5 Q5. But the T6 IS brighter.

neogeo53 said:   hakujin said:   nm, got it working (After banging it around a little bit, lol); guys, hate to be the contrarian here, but not really much brighter (if at all from fresh AA) than the $5 one we've all come to love. was i the only one expecting a spot light (after being bedazzled from the previous) and getting an incremental change at 3x the size?

Same here. Seems only slightly brighter than the $5 Q5, and that is with a 18650 in this T6, compared to a "AA" in the Q5. And the T6 seems twice the size as the $5 Q5. But the T6 IS brighter.

Agree. The Costco $25 2-pack is MUCH brighter than this and only slightly more expensive. I was expecting a little more from this light (especially with the 18650 in it).

I don't know what you people are smoking....but this is much, much brighter

smoking some pretty good stuff actually that said, the brightness is very similar; the primary difference with this torch is the beam is much wider; covers a larger area.

definitely not 'much, much brighter'; perhaps it's what 'you' are smoking.

how about some beamshots then?

Rcv'd light. It bright. Downside is the push button modes and memory. Wish it was only on and off.

(Using high end Panasonic batteries)

Shadowman420 said:   Rcv'd light. It bright. Downside is the push button modes and memory. Wish it was only on and off.

(Using high end Panasonic batteries)

I agree....but 3 mode would be good since you don't need it super bright for inside use

on the topic of batteries...I'm surprised how much it drops off with such a low decrease in voltage

tested one I got from eBay and the charge was only 3.96 or so; the other I had been using was down to about 3.65 and you could already see it was on it's way out

still waiting on a charger....will be interesting to see just how bright it gets when it's at full charge

lordoffire said:   how about some beamshots then? sorry, bong hits rate higher than this thread. i like it tho, just wish it took 2 AA. cheers all.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014