• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
drugs are bad...mkay....

not really, unless you're kind of dingy and abuse them. I don't, and in my state, we call it 'medicine'.

this flashlight (while nice), is a marginal improvement to the $5 AA CREE, mkay (my best Mr. Mackey impersonation). End of story.

This light is about 1.7x in length compared to the $5 light. The body is about the same diameter but the
head is about 2x the diameter of the $5 light. It is at least 2x brighter than the $5 light. I'm using
a 750ma 14500 battery in the $5 light and a 2300ma 18650 battery for this light. Both freshly charged
nitecore batteries. This light is not as bright as the $20 HD light. This light is bulky compared to
the $5 light although the $5 light is now $8.

save 1$ off with MLCD0215HP

oh yea (399.02kB)
Disclaimer
if you cannot see the difference, I would suggest visiting a WalMart vision center

(finally got a charger and tested it at full charge....very nice)

So I'll add my 3 cents here. These T6 lights are indeed brighter than the beloved $5 AA lights... even when using a 3.7v 14500 in it.

I bought both the OP's spotlight version, as well as the zoom-able one suggested by WorkerAnt. The awesome thing about them both is they will last much longer than the $5 light using a 14500ľľdespite also being brighter. That's awesome. I like the zoom-able one if I'm just lighting up a room/car engine/etc, and it's also wider when zoomed out. OP's spotlight one is noticeably brighter overall, and is best used for longer distances (lighting up a room down the hall, night hiking, shotgun mounted?). It probably wouldn't be good for biking since it can't adjust the zoom and would likely shine into oncoming traffic. I also like that it's a slightly warmer color.

lordoffire's picture above is a good example, though that distance really favors the "hotspot" of the spotlight one... you'd likely want to zoom in $5 light and it wouldn't look so dim on the snowman... but then it loses again on not lighting anywhere else.

HOWEVER, what's killing me on these lights is that there is no memory on the modes! Can anyone suggest alternatives (perhaps on Ŕbay/amaz÷n/mŔritline/etc) that are either 1-function (who really uses "medium" on a hi-med-low light?) or at least has a memory feature? I see some alternatives here and here, but I'd like to get other opinions.

My conclusion is that the $5 lights still have their place, especially with a AA quality disposable or with 1.2v eneloops. But I think these lithium 18650's are awesome, and I'd love to find the perfect, low-cost 1-mode or 3-mode with memory.

Dotbody said:   you'd likely want to zoom in $5 light and it wouldn't look so dim on the snowman

that was zoomed in...

and these do have memory...

lordoffire said:   that was zoomed in...I stand corrected, that's pretty funny!

lordoffire said:   and these do have memory...Really? Both the OP light and the zoom-able one will change to the next mode each time you do a full on/off. Ie, I turn it on and it's on high. I turn it off. I turn it on again and now it's on medium... etc. You're saying the one(s) you got will stay on the same setting? Which ones did you get, and where did you get them from?

Dotbody said:   Really? Both the OP light and the zoom-able one will change to the next mode each time you do a full on/off. Ie, I turn it on and it's on high. I turn it off. I turn it on again and now it's on medium... etc. You're saying the one(s) you got will stay on the same setting? Which ones did you get, and where did you get them from?

no...it goes to the next setting....I thought you meant it didn't "start over" when you turn it off

lordoffire said:   Dotbody said:   you'd likely want to zoom in $5 light and it wouldn't look so dim on the snowman

that was zoomed in...

and these do have memory...

then my $5 cree is better than yours.

ordered some Panasonic NCR18650Bs... because I'd like you to be right.

Gonna add this one to my collection.

Anybody have a solution to 9 switch clicks to get back to full power, once you turn it off from full power. Has anybody successfully swapped in a on/off switch from another light (like the Harbor Freight one).

HuggieBear said:   Anybody have a solution to 9 switch clicks to get back to full power, once you turn it off from full power. Has anybody successfully swapped in a on/off switch from another light (like the Harbor Freight one).

how do you get 9 when there's only 5 modes?

thanks OP!

lordoffire said:   HuggieBear said:   Anybody have a solution to 9 switch clicks to get back to full power, once you turn it off from full power. Has anybody successfully swapped in a on/off switch from another light (like the Harbor Freight one).how do you get 9 when there's only 5 modes?I think he means each click on and off are separate clicks.

I discovered this light (OP's light) will automatically "default" back to the first "high-beam" mode if you wait 10 seconds before turning it back on. In other words, you can have it on Medium, Low, or Strobe, and if you wait 10 seconds and then turn it back on, it will default back to High. I suddenly like it a lot better, since that was my biggest issue with it!

Now if I could find a zoomable 18650 that didn't use a white piece of plastic for the zoom part (eg, the one WorkerAnt suggested earlier). The $5 AA ones seem to have a better zoom piece: when you zoom in those lights, the focused light become much brighter. WorkerAnt's suggestion just becomes smaller without really increasing the brightness of the focused beam.

EDIT: And I agree with hakujin: Lord of Fire, your $5 zoomable light seems a lot dimmer than mine when it's fully zoomed...

Dotbody said:   I discovered this light (OP's light) will automatically "default" back to the first "high-beam" mode if you wait 10 seconds before turning it back on.
It has not done that yet.

lordoffire said:   Dotbody said:   I discovered this light (OP's light) will automatically "default" back to the first "high-beam" mode if you wait 10 seconds before turning it back on.
I ordered this XM-L T6 light from Merýtline on 2/3/2013. When did you order yours? Perhaps they switched suppliers, or it was a different batch with different circuitry... ?

The only other reason I can think of is that you're counting to 10 too fast before turning it back on

Dotbody said:   lordoffire said:   Dotbody said:   I discovered this light (OP's light) will automatically "default" back to the first "high-beam" mode if you wait 10 seconds before turning it back on.
I ordered this XM-L T6 light from Merýtline on 2/3/2013. When did you order yours? Perhaps they switched suppliers, or it was a different batch with different circuitry... ?

The only other reason I can think of is that you're counting to 10 too fast before turning it back on

when this thread started...

counting too fast?...I can leave it there for a day and it still progresses to the next mode in the sequence

Dotbody said:   I'd be curious how it compares with this (famous) $5.43 AA flashlight, which I love:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0QAFY/

Anyone own both? Thoughts?
Really like the cheap Amazon one. It uses one AA battery which seems to last a very long time. Zoom actually works. Fairly bright. If you stand one of these upright with the beam shooting at the ceiling, it will light up your whole bathroom with enough light to be functional. Great for power outages.

In for 6.

Christmas present shopping for guys done!

OceanMist said:   In for 6.

make sure the people you're giving them to, have the right batteries and chargers

Good point. I also bought 1 battery each, but no charger.

most guys will NOT have a charger nor will they know how to care for the batteries.

If you leave them discharged for a couple months - bad battery. Also leaving them stored with 100% charge will inhibit their lifetime.

OceanMist said:   In for 6.

Found this cheap charger and battery, Not high end charger but will do the job!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Rechargeable-Ultrafire-18650-Battery-...

I have this light for some time now. Great light; the best and brightest I have ever had. It was $10 from Meritline and another $3 for a 18650 charger and $3 for two Ultrafire batteries. $16 bucks--deal!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014