Voting History
rated:
If you're looking for
- a tiny (slightly bigger than my palm) high capacity 2TB backup drive
- with passworded hardware encryption
- compatible with both USB2 and USB3
- without an external power supply
- completely silent

Yesterday at Costco I picked up a 2 TB Western Digital passport for $124.99.
My receipt shows $139.99 minus a $15 automatic discount, which was consistent with the signage.
I did not show any coupons.
It is available from Newegg and a lot of other places for $149.99.
Amazon Prime has it for $138.99.

Links:NewEgg, Amazon,and WesternDigital

Previously I used a Buffalo extreme mini-terastation, because it has those features as well as integrated cable management. However like others I am plagued by this incredibly annoying problem which makes it unusable on half of the systems I plug it into. Therefore the Western Digital is the answer for now.

In addition, the Western Digital security software has an interesting optional feature: It will optionally auto unlock the drive if you are logged in using the account that installed the drive and it software. I am not going to use that feature, but I can definitely appreciate how it creates simplicity for those people who simply want to have drive security protection against loss or theft of the drive itself.

I am backing up all data to it right now, starting with Christmas photos. The attitude I take with myself and family re: data is: Only amateurs lose data. There is no excuse for a significant amount of data loss due to either hard drive crashes, viruses, fire, or theft, between the backup drives and our safe deposit box. I use GoodSyncto sync to backup drives.

Cons from Newegg reviews:
1) You can NOT remove this drive from the enclosure and transplant it into your laptop.
2) The connector shape that plugs into drive itself is proprietary. (the other side is standard usb3/2 compatible). My guess is they needed that connector they designed to eliminate the need for an external power supply. Edit: As Pythie says below: pythie said:   The plug looks like a USB 3.0 micro type B. It is not proprietary. Just not all over the market yet.
3) 2 year warranty, not 3.

Those 3 things are OK with me, but I do wish it had integrated cable mgmt. It makes the overall form factor bigger but you can't forget the cable.

I'm thinking about getting another, and having that be part of my safe deposit box quarterly back up rotation . It will take up a lot less room than the drives that are in there.

I'm going to call Frys to see if they price match Costco prices. EDIT: Fry's only matches Costco Online, not Costco B&M. I believe Frys has red and silver colors of the same model. Costco has black, but it comes with a nice case with mint green piping so it won't get lost when tossed in a black bag.

Member Summary

Western Digital 2TB My Passport tiny external hard drive
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The word is "portable" not "tiny". Portable = 2.5" (laptop size) drive.

Get it from Staples for $126.65 in store with the 15% coupon
I don't think everyone has costco membership.

Amazon link click here
Seller offering drive with 1 or 2 hours use for $114.95

Very informative post. I am in for one.

sneuman said:   Amazon link click here
Seller offering drive with 1 or 2 hours use for $114.95

He must have gotten bored with it...Or accidentally drop kicked it. Either way, Costco has a better return policy. Thanks OP!

OceanMist said:   
- a tiny (slightly bigger than my palm) high capacity 2TB backup drive

How big is your palm? Are you a giant or a midget?

Thanks OP, in for one. Its size is about 3x4, very small.

Thanks OP!

You're welcome everyone!

I picked up a second one from Costco.

FYI - Fry's only matches Costco online, not costco in-store prices.

-- She with the mutant sized palm

OP, I don't think your guess on the proprietary cable is correct. There are plenty of portable, i mean tiny, drives out there with standard connections that don't need a power supply.

Good deal nonetheless. Nice to have the hardware encryption.

MeIsCheap said:   OP, I don't think your guess on the proprietary cable is correct. There are plenty of portable, i mean tiny, drives out there with standard connections that don't need a power supply.If that's not the reason why WD decided to incur the considerable expense of a proprietary connector vs simply applying a known standard and avoiding engineering, design, and manufacture tool-up costs, what else might be the reason?

i.e., What is your theory on why they chose to do what they did?

The plug looks like a USB 3.0 micro type B. It is not proprietary. Just not all over the market yet.

OceanMist said:   

Shortsighted security feature? I have older WD passport drives that use regular mini USB connectors.

USB 3.0 connector
Disclaimer
OceanMist said:   MeIsCheap said:   OP, I don't think your guess on the proprietary cable is correct. There are plenty of portable, i mean tiny, drives out there with standard connections that don't need a power supply.If that's not the reason why WD decided to incur the considerable expense of a proprietary connector vs simply applying a known standard and avoiding engineering, design, and manufacture tool-up costs, what else might be the reason?

First, I have not seen the particular cable that comes with this drive, but I will check it out this weekend hopefully. I have an inkling you are talking about the connector that is in the pic I am attaching to this post, which is far from new and I wouldn't consider WD design.

I was only saying that there are non-proprietary cables that will connect a portable drive to a computer that don't require a power cable, it is sort standard for portable drives. I have the first Seagate USB 3.0 1tb drive they made (over 2 years ago) and that was a single cable to connect & it provided power. and you also said it was a guess in your op.

also, I was going to mention that if anything is a tiny drive, it would be a 1.8" drive that is uncommon, but does exist. I would change your title to portable (2.5" drive), as it might trigger some peoples deal alerts. that's one of the main reason to put the right key words in the title

great deal though. would have probably ended up with a 3tb internal drive if it was for your post. thanks

You can use a standard USB 2.0 Micro-A cable with these portable drives (the kind most cellphones use now). That is 1/2 the connector of the USB 3.0 cable the drive comes with. I think the only drawback is that you won't realize the USB 3.0 transfer speeds.

freddyfoster said:   You can use a standard USB 2.0 Micro-A cable with these portable drives (the kind most cellphones use now). That is 1/2 the connector of the USB 3.0 cable the drive comes with. I think the only drawback is that you won't realize the USB 3.0 transfer speeds.

The plug looked so similar to the micro USB connector that I was going to try it sometime to see what happens, but you answered my curiosity. Thanks!

pythie said:   The plug looks like a USB 3.0 micro type B. It is not proprietary. Just not all over the market yet.Aha - good eye! Thank you. That makes sense.

Squinting at Wikipediaand my cable's end, Pythie is definitely correct. The number of pins match on both the squared and rounded side

The good news for me is that if years from now I lose the cable, I'll be able to order a replacement from Amazon or go to Fry's.

freddyfoster said:   You can use a standard USB 2.0 Micro-A cable with these portable drives (the kind most cellphones use now). That is 1/2 the connector of the USB 3.0 cable the drive comes with. I think the only drawback is that you won't realize the USB 3.0 transfer speeds.Excellent! I have a couple of those now.

MeIsCheap said:   also, I was going to mention that if anything is a tiny drive, it would be a 1.8" drive that is uncommon, but does exist. I would change your title to portable (2.5" drive), as it might trigger some peoples deal alerts. that's one of the main reason to put the right key words in the titleGood point, MeIsCheap. I added the word portable. But I'm holding strong to 'tiny' - because it is tiny tiny tiny in comparison to the ones I've been rotating through my safe deposit box!

$139 at Costco here in NJ. Took it to the register and the $15.00 discount did not come up so I left it there.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014