• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
After recovering from the fainting on the $50 off $100 bombshell that Best Buy delivered this morning, I realized that OD and Staples per-policy should accept this coupon as a competitor's coupon.

Original Thread

That means $50 off $100 at least on all things technology, ink, and anything else BB competes with OD/Staples on.

Three things concern me:

1) Manager are probably going to faint like I did, and exercise discretion by vetoing the coupon.
2) It does require a MasterCard, while there's nothing in policy, many managers may use that as wiggle room to argue it's not possible to competitively coupon.
3) Staples/OD HQ will probably faint and issue a memo telling managers to shoot down on sight.

Still, probably good for a few hours today since it's MLK Jr. day, hopefully bean counting people at these stores will be absent. Enjoy.

P.S. I don't see this coupon as a good thing. When you're offering half off everything $100... it means you're in a recession again. As someone with a BS in Economics and Business Management, I can assure you that is not a political statement.

Office Depot
See Office Depot coupons that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Staples
See Staples coupons that earn Up to 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Coupon
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Yep, I was in BB on Monday, decided to hold off on a printer, went back Wednesday ready to buy and dammit, saw those sig... (more)

sternbed (Jan. 24, 2013 @ 9:44a) |

More useless babble from you.

You were told where you could find it. Now do it.

respdoc (Jan. 24, 2013 @ 9:47a) |

Except that there were 1,001+ other items that BB was taking a bath on.

From tablets to hybrid hard drives, to $56 1080p... (more)

asuka (Jan. 24, 2013 @ 10:59a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You got this in an email?

With the exception of the link that does seem to come from BB servers, nobody has confirmed actually getting such an email, or seeing such a store-printed coupon. Hence YMMV.

The coupon image is hosted by the bestbuy.com site, so high probability that it's legit.

GriffonJames said:   The coupon image is hosted by the bestbuy.com site, so high probability that it's legit.

Staples policy is to accept physical (i.e. postal mailed/in-store catalog gathered) coupons. So this coupons have two YMMV's against it.

respdoc said:   GriffonJames said:   The coupon image is hosted by the bestbuy.com site, so high probability that it's legit.

Staples policy is to accept physical (i.e. postal mailed/in-store catalog gathered) coupons. So this coupons have two YMMV's against it.

That's why the OP calls it an Epic YMMV!

SafetyDance said:   

That's why the OP calls it an Epic YMMV!

But they also put "valid per policy"...which it is not....unless someone gets postal mailed this BB coupon.

respdoc said:   GriffonJames said:   The coupon image is hosted by the bestbuy.com site, so high probability that it's legit.

Open to interpretation. Physical can just as easily mean printed and paper-in-hand.

I haven't seen any handbook or internal terms that void printed coupons, nor have I ever had a competitor coupon at Staples shot down on those grounds.

Personally, I think the term is there just so that employees can't cheat and say a customer flashed them a competitor's digital coupon. With Staples own coupons, smartphone flashing is valid since there is an internal coupon code to cross-reference for bookkeeping. Having a hard copy ensures that a competitor's coupon was actually presented.

FW10001 said:   With the exception of the link that does seem to come from BB servers, nobody has confirmed actually getting such an email, or seeing such a store-printed coupon. Hence YMMV.

People in the other thread have confirmed getting the email. It was sent to BB RZ MasterCard holders. Note that the emails did not prohibit redistribution, nor did the offer state that it was limited to BB RZ card holders.

asuka said:   respdoc said:   GriffonJames said:   The coupon image is hosted by the bestbuy.com site, so high probability that it's legit.

Open to interpretation. Physical can just as easily mean printed and paper-in-hand.

Nothing open to be interpreted. It was clarified by them (their "Office of the President" dept), and in their policy, a long time ago to mean only non-internet printed comp coupons.

respdoc said:   asuka said:   respdoc said:   GriffonJames said:   The coupon image is hosted by the bestbuy.com site, so high probability that it's legit.

Nothing open to be interpreted. It was clarified by them (their "Office of the President" dept), and in their policy, a long time ago to mean only non-internet printed comp coupons.

Again, "in their policy" - has a manager actually pulled up the policy and read that off word-for-word to you?

Often times OotP's are just customer service reps, and just pulling something out of their rear end to match what went down at some store because they don't want to honor some bankruptcy-inducing coupon (case-in-point). That doesn't (necessarily) rise to the law of the land at Staples IMO.

Let's be clear here, if Staples does have the policy somewhere, fine. I'll comply with it, I bear no ill will to Staples.

But, at the same time, we're talking 50% off $100. The letter of the law matters here.

In either case, I'm on my way to test the law at Staples... and OD. I think everyone is wishing me luck.

Thus far today 1 Office Depot has accepted the coupon, 1 Staples has accepted the coupon, and 1 Staples has refused. Staples that refused claimed that Staples does not accept competitor coupons. Idiots.

But yes, the answer is that some stores are indeed accepting the coupon as a valid competitors coupon.

I should note that both stores which accepted the coupon, completely flipped out. Office Depot really did not want to accept the coupon, but could not find a valid reason. It didn't help that I was trying to purchase a Nexus 7.

asuka said:   respdoc said:   asuka said:   respdoc said:   GriffonJames said:   The coupon image is hosted by the bestbuy.com site, so high probability that it's legit.

Again, "in their policy" - has a manager actually pulled up the policy and read that off word-for-word to you?

Often times OotP's are just customer service reps, and just pulling something out of their rear end to match what went down at some store because they don't want to honor some bankruptcy-inducing coupon (case-in-point). That doesn't (necessarily) rise to the law of the land at Staples IMO.

Let's be clear here, if Staples does have the policy somewhere, fine. I'll comply with it, I bear no ill will to Staples.

But, at the same time, we're talking 50% off $100. The letter of the law matters here.

In either case, I'm on my way to test the law at Staples... and OD. I think everyone is wishing me luck.

I'm not sure why you keep going. This is their policy and yes, myself and others have seen it. If you're that excited to view it, guess you can ask any manager to pull it up for you. Just like with any other manager override...if you find a manager not knowing and/or caring enough...fine..but don't come back whining when they more than likely will deny a vast majority of us.

End of the day has come. By tomorrow, there will probably be national memos telling both not to take the coupon.

Out of the dozen-plus ODs and Staples surveyed, most took or said they would honor the coupon when showed it.

A dead deal. But one for the history books.

asuka said:   

P.S. I don't see this coupon as a good thing. When you're offering half off everything $100... it means you're in a recession again. As someone with a BS in Economics and Business Management, I can assure you that is not a political statement.
Or it means that Booger Buy is going down for the 8 count sooner rather than later. They're shutting stores and reducing their footprint to reduce costs but they're getting hammered by showrooming. They've consolidated their product line in their Northern California stores, eliminating their home appliance department and replacing it with Pacific Sales reduced product line.

Dano

DanoMcGarret said:   asuka said:   

Or it means that Booger Buy is going down for the 8 count sooner rather than later. They're shutting stores and reducing their footprint to reduce costs but they're getting hammered by showrooming. They've consolidated their product line in their Northern California stores, eliminating their home appliance department and replacing it with Pacific Sales reduced product line.

Dano

I don't think the two POVs are necessarily mutually exclusive. BB may be lame, but $50 off $100 is dire... even for BB.

asuka said:   

Out of the dozen-plus ODs and Staples surveyed, most took or said they would honor the coupon when showed it.

We are only talking about Staples policy, not OD's. I'm sorry..but I hardly believe you went to multiple Staples stores, flashed your home printed coupon, asked them randomly if you would take it...and then left, especially since a manager would have to have been involved in the actual transaction.

It was an ok idea to bring up...just not realistic given their policies.

respdoc said:   asuka said:   

We are only talking about Staples policy, not OD's. I'm sorry..but I hardly believe you went to multiple Staples stores, flashed your home printed coupon, asked them randomly if you would take it...and then left, especially since a manager would have to have been involved in the actual transaction.

It was an ok idea to bring up...just not realistic given their policies.

My $149 Nexus 7 units beg to differ, but it's a moot point. As the title said YMMV, and to the rest we'll all just have to agree to disagree.

Your assumption was correct in that Staples had a higher reject rate. But my $29 Microsoft wedge Bluetooth keyboard will help me sleep soundly tonight all the same.

asuka said:   

My $149 Nexus 7 units beg to differ, but it's a moot point. As the title said YMMV, and to the rest we'all just have to agree to disagree.

Your assumption was correct in that Staples had a higher reject rate. But my $29 Microsoft wedge Bluetooth keyboard will help me sleep soundly tonight all the same.

Again..their's no "assumption" since it's their (Staples) policy. The issue was not your ability to trick select managers into whatever you wanted...it was putting it "valid per policy" when it clearly isn't with Staples.

respdoc said:   asuka said:   

My $149 Nexus 7 units beg to differ, but it's a moot point. As the title said YMMV, and to the rest we'all just have to agree to disagree.

Again..their's no "assumption" since it's their (Staples) policy. The issue was not your ability to trick select managers into whatever you wanted...it was putting it "valid per policy" when it clearly isn't with Staples.

Agree to disagree

Can you post your receipt please?

MeraMangoLassi said:   Can you post your receipt please?

Deal is no longer valid. See above. If you want ego-stroking, go pull up the receipts of people that bought 80 Amazon GCs. Sorry, have better things to do with my time.

MeraMangoLassi said:   Can you post your receipt please?

Sorry! Your mangoes are too late looking for Lassi

Went to my local Best Buy today. Paper signs up all over the store saying basically that the promotion was for YESTERDAY (1/21) only and that there were a lot of exclusions. It said to see a manager or go to Customer Service for questions or to see exclusions. I didn't even bother. I knew there was no way they were going to honor the coupon. They clearly went overboard papering the store with "Correction" notices. I don't think all the complaining in the world would have gotten them to honor it.

respdoc said:   Again..their's no "assumption" since it's their (Staples) policy. The issue was not your ability to trick select managers into whatever you wanted...it was putting it "valid per policy" when it clearly isn't with Staples.

What's the current Staples competitor coupon policy? One that was leaked 2 years ago doesn't count. Put up or shut up.

Yep, I was in BB on Monday, decided to hold off on a printer, went back Wednesday ready to buy and dammit, saw those signs.
I called BB HQ to see if there is anything they could do. The BB mgr was ready to offer $25, but that's all he could do.
Same printer is on sale at Staples today. Going to get as close to the price I wanted as I can.

BB could have just amended the coupon (signs in the stores, etc.) to say "NO GIFT CARDS." How disappointing.

edavid said:   

What's the current Staples competitor coupon policy? One that was leaked 2 years ago doesn't count. Put up or shut up.

More useless babble from you.

You were told where you could find it. Now do it.

sternbed said:   Yep, I was in BB on Monday, decided to hold off on a printer, went back Wednesday ready to buy and dammit, saw those signs.
I called BB HQ to see if there is anything they could do. The BB mgr was ready to offer $25, but that's all he could do.
Same printer is on sale at Staples today. Going to get as close to the price I wanted as I can.

BB could have just amended the coupon (signs in the stores, etc.) to say "NO GIFT CARDS." How disappointing.

Except that there were 1,001+ other items that BB was taking a bath on.

From tablets to hybrid hard drives, to $56 1080p monitors. BB hemorrhaged cash.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014