• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
At Home Depot. Marked down from 24.99 to 14.99, A19, 11w comparable to 60w. 830 lumens, which is pretty bright, more like a 75w. Dimmable. Soft white light. They had several. Model PLC12WSW Iten Number on receipt 046677424381. SKU # 664946

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203553310/h_d2/ProductDi...

Member Summary

LED
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Looks like the price for the Phillips is back up to $25 , even out of state .

I was lucky to get a few R19 Phillips de... (more)

stereo55 (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 9:47p) |

CRAP ... I just picked up fifteen of these from HD:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203285540?storeId=10051&langId=-1&c...

An... (more)

ilbarbaro (Mar. 10, 2013 @ 1:42p) |

You should be ok , but just incase , maybe try these (they dont get as warm from my experience , ymmv) :

http://www.homed... (more)

stereo55 (Mar. 10, 2013 @ 2:22p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good price, yes. But 830 lumens is squarely in 60-watt incandescent territory. A 75-watt incandescent puts out more like 1100 lumens.

Reference: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls_lumens

which Home Depot store is this? i think this is YMMV.

60 Watt incandescents range from 650 - 850. 75 start around 800 and go up to 1100+. So it's on the border. Certainly it's bright enough to replace any 60 watt incandescent.

Curious that the image at HD.com for this item is 8w/40w-equiv. The item is listed correctly, though.

If you change your home store setting to MA the price is $12.97, but if you set it to NH just a few miles from here it is $24.97.
This is because the local price is supported by an electric company program with HD.

There are other style Philips LED lights with similar savings like BR40's That I've seen in the store for $17 but I cannot see them online.

Getting 24.97 also. YMMV.

As Mikegadget said, I'm pretty sure this is a regional price (typically NE USA) due to power company subsidies.

Utilitech 13.5W, 3000k, 800 lumens for $9.98 @Lowes. Dimmable

nerraw00 said:   Utilitech 13.5W, 3000k, 800 lumens for $9.98 @Lowes. Dimmable

Do you mean this one ? :

link

It shows $19.98 for me

I must say that I have found all lumen ratings for LED bulbs to outperform my expectations. I replaced half the bulbs in one fixture with LED that were 200 lumens (the other bulbs were 65w!) and other than a slight difference in color I couldn't tell the difference. I replaced a few can lights (currently 65w) with LED bulbs of 400 and 700 lumen ratings and they were equally bright.

I think that LED can be much less lumen and still perform similarly. The light is just so bright it compensates for the lower test numbers I guess. And going from 65 watt to 7 and 13 watt bulbs makes a huge difference each month in the utility bill.

I have the 840 lumen (even brighter) L Prize bulb and it's not 75W territory. 75W is more like 950 lumens. Most 60W bulbs you buy are about 725 lumens.

This bulb is a steal at this price.

The light pattern on these bulbs is very non-directional, like an incandescent.

There's no way a 200 lumen bulb can match a 800 lumen bulb, unless the 200 lumen only throws one direction and you only need light in that one direction.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I have the 840 lumen (even brighter) L Prize bulb and it's not 75W territory. 75W is more like 950 lumens. Most 60W bulbs you buy are about 725 lumens.

840 lumens isn't right for the Philips "L" prize bulb. I have 4 "L" prize bulbs still in the pkg and the specs say 940 lumens and 60W incandescent equivalent.

Mikegadget said:   If you change your home store setting to MA the price is $12.97, but if you set it to NH just a few miles from here it is $24.97.
This is because the local price is supported by an electric company program with HD.
Works nicely, since there's The HD site said: Free Shipping on Most Orders over $45 to get it to Ohio.

nerraw00 said:   Utilitech 13.5W, 3000k, 800 lumens for $9.98 @Lowes. DimmableUsing a zip of 02169,Utilitech 13.5-Watt (60W) A19 Medium Base Warm White (3000K) LED Bulb ENERGY STAR came out to $7.98!

Great idea about the MA zip code! Hopefully they don't cancel my order going to VA. 7.98 vs 19.98 is a big savings!

What zip code to use? I can't get the price or free shipping?

Just ordered from MA...lets see if they ship it to florida!

fatwallet effect is sure to kill that deal too soon

tonybeman said:   What zip code to use? I can't get the price or free shipping? HD was$45, don't recall L's, but I ordered 10 for $85.98 after tax using a zip for Braintree, MA.

Just got shipping confirmation for one order of 4 bulbs using the MA zip code to Virginia!

So which is better, The Home Depot or Lowes?

How are you getting free shipping? One bulb is costing $6 shipping fee...

Using Leominster, MA 01453 at Lowes I could put 7 Utilitech 13.5-Watt (60W) A19 in my cart with free shipping (on >$49) for a total of $55.86 pre-tax.

Didn't pull the trigger yet though, so I can't confirm it will go all the way through checkout.

These seem to have decent reviews:
Good Housekeeping
Candlepower Forums

I'm all for saving on my electric bill and also for going green but why buy a $15 LED when I can buy a $1 CFL instead ?

Some CFL's are dimmable. They also come in different color temps and brands. Is mercury still used in production of CFL's ?

CFL's put out UV radiation, which, even if you don't buy the cancer scare stuff, is still an important consideration if you have paintings, photos, or (in my case) old newspapers framed.

I've got CFL's around the house and, while I've always been bothered by the mercury content and the fear of cleanup hassles, thinking about the potential damage to my prints is what prompted me to jump on this, and order 10 @ $7.98 Utilitech and 6 @ $12.99 Philips.

LED > CFL for everything but the price (but as we see in this thread, it's dropping). It's got mercury so it's not super awesome for the environment (albeit a small amount), it takes a while to come to full brightness, dimming isn't great, and they emit UV.

How do the Philips and Utilitech compare in light pattern?

CFLs also perform poorly in cold and take a little time to warm up to full brightness. LEDs come on at full brightness (though I have some with a <1 second delay after flipping the switch), and work fine outdoors.

And mercury is still used in CFL, blueribb, I don't think that's something that can be fixed. They're still better than incandescent, which lead to even more mercury at the power plant due to higher consumption.

Gonna give it a shot too.

Great deal if it works!

wantonsoup said:   LED > CFL for everything but the price (but as we see in this thread, it's dropping). It's got mercury so it's not super awesome for the environment (albeit a small amount), it takes a while to come to full brightness, dimming isn't great, and they emit UV.
Would love to switch from CFL to LED, but life of bulb expense remains the key issue. LED can even consume more energy per watt equivalent (e.g. 13w CFL 900lumen/67 cents each vs 13.5w LED 800lumen/$10 each, both possibly subsidized to my zip). Factor in the often huge price differential for the bulbs themselves, and one could go through 2-3 CFLs (to adjust for life expectancy differences) and *still* pay about 1/6 the price of the single LED unit. Save for particular needs, at this rate, it will be years before there is enough price parity for those with all CFL to bother converting to LED.

Just a heads up, my 10 from MA Lowes shipped.

In for 10 myself! order processing waiting for shipping confirmation

itsausername said:   wantonsoup said:   LED > CFL for everything but the price (but as we see in this thread, it's dropping). It's got mercury so it's not super awesome for the environment (albeit a small amount), it takes a while to come to full brightness, dimming isn't great, and they emit UV.
Would love to switch from CFL to LED, but life of bulb expense remains the key issue. LED can even consume more energy per watt equivalent (e.g. [L=13w CFL 900lumen/67 cents each]http://www.lowes.com/pd_252003-75774-L13T6/27K_0__?productId=319...[/L] vs 13.5w LED 800lumen/$10 each, both possibly subsidized to my zip). Factor in the often huge price differential for the bulbs themselves, and one could go through 2-3 CFLs (to adjust for life expectancy differences) and *still* pay about 1/6 the price of the single LED unit. Save for particular needs, at this rate, it will be years before there is enough price parity for those with all CFL to bother converting to LED.

What zip code are you getting these for 67 cents each??

As of this morning, I've gotten shipping confirmation for both HD and L's.
The nice thing about this is that even if these end up not working out, I can just take them to my local store for exchange.

My first order from Lowes using the MA zipcode just arrived in Virginia. The lights are nice - just a little bit whiter than the bulbs they replaced, and noticeably brighter for the same 60W. I also ordered 7 of the BR30's from Lowes for 7.98 a piece, I'll update when they arrive. I think I may order more of the A19's and replace more items around the house.

newblueriver said:   My first order from Lowes using the MA zipcode just arrived in Virginia. The lights are nice - just a little bit whiter than the bulbs they replaced, and noticeably brighter for the same 60W. I also ordered 7 of the BR30's from Lowes for 7.98 a piece, I'll update when they arrive. I think I may order more of the A19's and replace more items around the house.

Got a link to the BR30s?

That's weird, the linked lights look like R20s. I'm not really in the market just yet; I dropped $400+ on PAR20s for the kitchen two weeks ago. Love 'em (brighter than 50W PARs and 95 CRI) but I'm going to have to recover financially before I make the next move.

Prngr44 said:   newblueriver said:   My first order from Lowes using the MA zipcode just arrived in Virginia. The lights are nice - just a little bit whiter than the bulbs they replaced, and noticeably brighter for the same 60W. I also ordered 7 of the BR30's from Lowes for 7.98 a piece, I'll update when they arrive. I think I may order more of the A19's and replace more items around the house.

Got a link to the BR30s?

Nevermind, I'm blind.

Skipping 131 Messages...
ilbarbaro said:   CRAP ... I just picked up fifteen of these from HD:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203285540?storeId=10051&langId=-1&c...

And the packaging says they aren't suitable for enclosures. Most of the lights I want to put them in have glass dome enclosures.

So should I return them?

Which models CAN be used inside of glass dome light fixture "enclosures"?

You should be ok , but just incase , maybe try these (they dont get as warm from my experience , ymmv) :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203248902?storeId=10051&langId=-1&c...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203630147?storeId=10051&langId=-1&c...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203991774?storeId=10051&langId=-1&c...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014