• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have no personal experience with this company, but I noticed the following article in Consumer Reports magazine, February 2013 issue, page 12, and I thought this offer might be interesting to some FW members.

===============================================================================
Article title:

When it pays, literally, to lose weight

Selected excerpts from the article:

...[W]hat if you could make money by losing weight?

That's the idea behind HealthyWage, a company that runs "health incentive programs" in which participants get cash rewards for meeting weight-loss goals.

There's the "10% Challenge" in which you put up $100 and get $200 if you lose 10 percent of your starting weight in six months.

And there's the "BMI Challenge" which is free to enter and pays $100 if you get your body mass down from obese to healthy in 12 months. If you put up $300, you can win up to $1000 for meeting that goal.

...(And if you fail, of course, the company pockets your money, too.)

It's funded by advertising dollars from insurance companies, health-care systems, and food companies, plus it gets some goverment money.

The company's website:

http://www.healthywage.com/

A box on the main page of their website says:

"Total money won: $430,000. Total weight lost: 866,500 pounds"

"As featured in Time, Washington Post, ABC News, Huffington Post, Fox News"

Member Summary

Lose Weight
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
If you're in this program, or thinking about it, you might want to check out this post I just found:
http://www.fatwallet... (more)

imnotsanenow (Mar. 22, 2013 @ 8:56p) |

Down 6%!

dougtaylor1 (Mar. 30, 2013 @ 1:12a) |

Good job Dougtaylor!

---
I haven't weighed myself since I last posted here, but I can tell that I have not lost any more... (more)

NantucketSunrise (Apr. 10, 2013 @ 12:04a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

interesting

Sent a link to my wife. Making money, but sleeping on the couch.

You have to put up your own money for the chance that you'll succeed. If that doesn't sound like a Ponzi scheme, I don't know what does!

I've posted this for discussion in Finance. Thanks OP.

Very interesting concept! Thanks OP!

suezyque said:   You have to put up your own money for the chance that you'll succeed. If that doesn't sound like a Ponzi scheme, I don't know what does!

With this, you have a say in the outcome though.

Same as below.

It's not at all a ponzi scheme and in fact, thousands have used the program with great success. For example, in one of the BMI challenges the participant pays nothing but if s/he reduces their BMI from a 30 to 25 within a year the program pays them $100. There are different programs where participants pay a little of their own money at a chance for bigger payouts but those are all within the control of the participant. Some people just need a little extra push of motivation and financial incentives are an effective way to achieve that--in addition to having fun! The program was featured on the Today Show last week as well as pieces in Forbes and the Wall Street Journal.

how do they verify your before and after weight/BMI?

Looks like they let health care providers and gyms sign up as "weigh in" stations for begining and end, with the premise of increased foot traffic = good for sales.

Great. Except completely useless for those of us that are not on the threshold of death due to our inability to eat healthily and actually not be completely sedentary ala the humans in Wall-E. - E

DeltaSigChi4 said:   Great. Except completely useless for those of us that are not on the threshold of death due to our inability to eat healthily and actually not be completely sedentary ala the humans in Wall-E. - E

Aren't 60% of all adult american's overweight? It's getting closer to 70%, holy hell! And 35% of adults are obese.

So, then, this would apply to 60% of adults:
"put up $100 and get $200 if you lose 10 percent of your starting weight in six months"

Plus the BMI challenge for free would also apply to them.

(Un?)fortunately for me I am at the tail end of losing 80 over the past 5 years. I should have procrastinated more

suezyque said:   You have to put up your own money for the chance that you'll succeed. If that doesn't sound like a Ponzi scheme, I don't know what does!

Sounds more like the business model of Insurance companies to me or perhaps a lottery. It's not really a Ponzi scheme. Even *if*, as a participant, you were welched on, you still WIN. You're still healthier, aren't you? Many folks pay MUCH more than $100 to lose 10% of their body weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

pthor1231 said:   Looks like they let health care providers and gyms sign up as "weigh in" stations for begining and end, with the premise of increased foot traffic = good for sales.

One can also submit a video weigh-in as well from home for free as the website outlines. It was very easy to do when I signed up this past month.

DeltaSigChi4 said:   Great. Except completely useless for those of us that are not on the threshold of death due to our inability to eat healthily and actually not be completely sedentary ala the humans in Wall-E. - E

Nice little pejorative there. Why not go on and decree the uselessness of Unemployment Insurance for those that are employed, or heck, the uselessness of aspirin for those that don't have a headache.

Good for you for being the picture of health. Bonus points for the elite smugness.

You must have some family/acquaintences that are heavy. Do you openly make the Wall-E comparison to their faces?

You do not have to put up your own money to get money from this deal.

It says in the original post:
"And there's the "BMI Challenge" which is free to enter and pays $100 if you get your body mass down from obese to healthy in 12 months"

Too bad this won't work out for healthy people. How about a bonus for adding muscle??

I wonder if they offer this challenge for STUPID people?

IS THIS LEGIT???? CAN ANYONE CONFIRM?????

Interesting. I wonder if they screen out pregnant women. You lose more than 10% of your weight just sitting around after you give birth...

maca said:   Interesting. I wonder if they screen out pregnant women. You lose more than 10% of your weight just sitting around after you give birth... Or 5% delivering the baby.

fynshine28 said:   IS THIS LEGIT???? CAN ANYONE CONFIRM?????

Of course it is legit. Read the thread and website. They've been in business since 2009. Some of us had already signed up. PM if you plan on signing up and I'll give you a reference number to help out a fellow FW'er that is already in.

burkotron5k said:   Too bad this won't work out for healthy people. How about a bonus for adding muscle??

Depends. I know a healthy person that signed up and is committed to losing 10%. Depends on your motivation, but yes, not for everyone, but not as limiting as some might think either.

Caryite said:   fynshine28 said:   IS THIS LEGIT???? CAN ANYONE CONFIRM?????

Of course it is legit. Read the thread and website. They've been in business since 2009. Some of us had already signed up. PM if you plan on signing up and I'll give you a reference number to help out a fellow FW'er that is already in.

burkotron5k said:   Too bad this won't work out for healthy people. How about a bonus for adding muscle??

Depends. I know a healthy person that signed up and is committed to losing 10%. Depends on your motivation, but yes, not for everyone, but not as limiting as some might think either.

18 posts in nearly 5 years (2 in this thread)... doesn't add much credibility, IMHO. The fact that the other proponent has 2 posts, both in this thread, well, it doesn't look that great.

Not trying to insinuate that this company isn't on the up and up because I have no idea, but the support it's getting in this thread does look a touch sketchy.

my bmi is 22 do I still qualify?.. my insurance company pays me $500/year to be below 25 BMI. they come to work and check weight/height

18 posts in nearly 5 years (2 in this thread)... doesn't add much credibility, IMHO. The fact that the other proponent has 2 posts, both in this thread, well, it doesn't look that great.

Not trying to insinuate that this company isn't on the up and up because I have no idea, but the support it's getting in this thread does look a touch sketchy.

Yep, I get it. As I clearly said, not for everyone.

I'll report either way once I collect or lose my $150 in 5 months. I am betting on the former. Just a fun diversion around mini AORs and VR activity. Got to make all that running around for GCs count for some sort of exercise as things are flushed through the systems.

I really wish it wasn't a BMI challenge since that doesn't tell you much about bf%.

I'm 6'2" at 195 and plan on dropping down to 185 while gaining some muscle. The BMI won't change much...

Maybe some women can start this like many of the celebrities who are on Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig who recently had a baby and "wow, I lost all this weight". Their incentives to lose weight it measure in the 6-figure range I guess us little ppl get far less incentive.

fynshine28 said:   IS THIS LEGIT???? CAN ANYONE CONFIRM?????

Confirmed. I did this in 2010 - put up $300 of my own cash and won the $1000 prize.

Too bad this wasn't around 6 years ago when I went from 310 to 190 in 14 months by exercising and eating right. I'm now 175 and been maintaining for 4 years. It's not hard to lose weight if you know what an actual portion size is (4oz steak vs 16oz steak at the restaurants, fist-size portions, not plate size!). Good luck to those that can get some $$$ from their weight loss.

How is this not gambling if poker is gambling?

cyfan said:   How is this not gambling if poker is gambling?

Because you have control of the outcome.

Spooie said:   fynshine28 said:   IS THIS LEGIT???? CAN ANYONE CONFIRM?????

Confirmed. I did this in 2010 - put up $300 of my own cash and won the $1000 prize.

Can u please check your PM.
Thanks

I made an appointment with my doctor for Tuesday since I plan on giving this a shot. I searched all over and I just haven't found anything negative about the company. I have navigated the website several times and read their Terms of Service and rules many times. I sent them an email this morning to clarify some of the rules, but this is what I gathered...

They have 3 different programs you can sign up for...
1.) Lose 10% of your weight in 6 months. Put up $150 to win $300.
2.) Go from a BMI of at least 30, and get it down below 25 in 1 year's time. You can do this for free to win $100, or pay $300 to win $1000.
3.) Join a group weightloss competition of 5 people(didn't read too much into this). I believe its 3 months.

From there you need to get weighed in. From the description it sounds like you have 3 options.
1.) Your personal doctor
2.) A gym or some place working with healthywage
3.) You make a video of yourself being weighed. (I cannot find the video weigh in rules, it seems you can read them after registering, not sure)

They also want you to take a "before" picture of yourself. And then provide an "after" picture in the event that you win. During the 6 months to 1 year that you are doing this program, you need to submit your updated weight at least every 7 days. You do not have to go anywhere special to get weighed in, you just need to log into their website and put an updated weight. If you miss entering your weight 3 times during the challenge, you lose.

From what I have read, 25% of the people are successful with these challenges. I think the things that you need to consider before signing up for this is...
1.) Will I remember to update my weight every week? I suggest putting a weekly reminder on your cellphone, that is my plan.
2.) Can I lose the weight? My weight is slightly above 30BMI, so I am also considering that challenge since technically I am in the best case scenario. My friend has a 38BMI and it would be very difficult for him to win this challenge.
3.) Can I keep the weight off? It is not as simple as winning the challenge. Say you lose the 10% required in 3 months. They want your weight at 6 months. So you will need to keep that weight off for an additional 3 months.
4.) Am I willing to risk the money? For me its not about winning money. I hate the thought of losing it. And I think it will give me a lot of motivation.

I made it my New Years Resolution(cliche I know) to get from 240 down to 175. And its coming up on February and I havent done much but make excuses. Losing 24 pounds in 6 months seems very reasonable. And I would need to get to 195 to meet my BMI, which is higher than my goal weight. So I am pretty sure that I am going to give this a shot.

Can you do the 10% challenge multiple times, like back to back? I'm in the same boat as your friend and would have to lose over 100lbs in a year to drop the BMI, not impossible but difficult. I'd have better luck losing 20% of my weight in 12 months.

bpd67 said:   Can you do the 10% challenge multiple times, like back to back? I'm in the same boat as your friend and would have to lose over 100lbs in a year to drop the BMI, not impossible but difficult. I'd have better luck losing 20% of my weight in 12 months.

My friend has the same question, and it appears that you can. But there is some specific rules around your weight between competitions that I would suggest reading ahead of time.

darrcook said:   suezyque said:   You have to put up your own money for the chance that you'll succeed. If that doesn't sound like a Ponzi scheme, I don't know what does!

Sounds more like the business model of Insurance companies to me or perhaps a lottery. It's not really a Ponzi scheme. Even *if*, as a participant, you were welched on, you still WIN. You're still healthier, aren't you? Many folks pay MUCH more than $100 to lose 10% of their body weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

More like gambling rather than Ponzi - except you can control the outcome here by hardwork, unlike in (most) gambling. I think its a pretty darn good deal. I just lost about 11% of my weight in 3 months, so I wish I knew this before

themadhookup said:   I made an appointment with my doctor for Tuesday since I plan on giving this a shot. I searched all over and I just haven't found anything negative about the company. I have navigated the website several times and read their Terms of Service and rules many times. I sent them an email this morning to clarify some of the rules, but this is what I gathered...

They have 3 different programs you can sign up for...
1.) Lose 10% of your weight in 6 months. Put up $150 to win $300.
2.) Go from a BMI of at least 30, and get it down below 25 in 1 year's time. You can do this for free to win $100, or pay $300 to win $1000.
3.) Join a group weightloss competition of 5 people(didn't read too much into this). I believe its 3 months.

From there you need to get weighed in. From the description it sounds like you have 3 options.
1.) Your personal doctor
2.) A gym or some place working with healthywage
3.) You make a video of yourself being weighed. (I cannot find the video weigh in rules, it seems you can read them after registering, not sure)

They also want you to take a "before" picture of yourself. And then provide an "after" picture in the event that you win. During the 6 months to 1 year that you are doing this program, you need to submit your updated weight at least every 7 days. You do not have to go anywhere special to get weighed in, you just need to log into their website and put an updated weight. If you miss entering your weight 3 times during the challenge, you lose.

From what I have read, 25% of the people are successful with these challenges. I think the things that you need to consider before signing up for this is...
1.) Will I remember to update my weight every week? I suggest putting a weekly reminder on your cellphone, that is my plan.
2.) Can I lose the weight? My weight is slightly above 30BMI, so I am also considering that challenge since technically I am in the best case scenario. My friend has a 38BMI and it would be very difficult for him to win this challenge.
3.) Can I keep the weight off? It is not as simple as winning the challenge. Say you lose the 10% required in 3 months. They want your weight at 6 months. So you will need to keep that weight off for an additional 3 months.
4.) Am I willing to risk the money? For me its not about winning money. I hate the thought of losing it. And I think it will give me a lot of motivation.

I made it my New Years Resolution(cliche I know) to get from 240 down to 175. And its coming up on February and I havent done much but make excuses. Losing 24 pounds in 6 months seems very reasonable. And I would need to get to 195 to meet my BMI, which is higher than my goal weight. So I am pretty sure that I am going to give this a shot.

Best of luck to you. I highly recommend a 2x a week reminder. I have 2 weekdays spread out 3 days to ensure I don't miss that. 0 strikes here.

Here is the video instructions link you were looking for: video weigh in info

Disclaimer: my only interest in HealthyWage is doubling my money from them. If you register, I'm sending my registration number to increase my winnings. It doesn't cost you a thing to use a registration number.

Great idea and well worth it to those that need the motivation. I don't like the fact that they are advertising "Win $300" when reality is you only win $150. You have to pay $150 in the beginning on the lose 10% challenge.

ummm... I don't think you know what a Ponzi Scheme is

Skipping 25 Messages...
dougtaylor1 said:   Down 6%!

Good job Dougtaylor!

---
I haven't weighed myself since I last posted here, but I can tell that I have not lost any more weight - and in all likelihood I have probably gained about 1 pound in the last four weeks (I'm petite, so it's easy to notice small amounts).

However, I didn't join the program discussed in this thread, so I'm just losing a few pounds on my own schedule, and my current living/working situation is not ideal for buying, cooking, and eating *exactly* what food I want, when I want to (which always helps).

---
One thing that seems to have noticeably slimmed down my tummy/waist area (the unnecessary fat overlying the muscles, the kind of stuff that forms muffin tops!) is drinking about 1/2 cup of homemade coconut milk per day.

(I avoid artificial additives, sweeteners, thickeners, and so on, which all the canned and boxed coconut milks in the US seem to have, even the "organic" ones, so I just make my own coconut milk with dried organic coconut flakes - such as from Bob's Red Mill, hot water, a fine-mesh strainer, and a blender.)

---
It seems that the MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) in coconut milk and other coconut products have certain properties which lower abdominal fat.

I can say that this really does seem to be the case for my body. Even the small amount of 1/2 cup a day of coconut milk has had a noticeable effect on my midsection in the last couple of months.

---
The following quote is from a Livestrong website article, which are not always the most trustworthy or complete compendiums of knowledge, so I don't automatically trust what they say, but this paragraph seems to be factual:
"The medium-chain triglycerides in coconut milk may increase thermogenesis, or the process in which your body metabolizes fats, according to doctor of biology and physiology specialist Ray Peat.
Research published in the December 2002 edition of the "Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology" observed the effects of diet-induced thermogenesis on the accumulation of body fat in rats fed a diet of MCTs or LCTs. Based on two experiments, rats receiving MCTs experienced significantly larger diet-induced thermogenesis and had significantly lower carcass and intra-abdominal fat than those consuming LCTs. Researchers concluded that diet-induced thermogenesis was a main factor in suppressing body fat accumulation in rats fed MCTs when compared to rats fed LCTs.
This is the research study referred to above (on rats): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12775120

This next study was on humans, and the statements couldn't be clearer:
"Medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) consumption has been shown to increase energy expenditure (EE) and lead to greater losses of the adipose tissue in animals and humans.
...[S]hunting of dietary fat towards oxidation results in diminished fat storage, as reflected by the loss of BW (body weight) and subcutaneous adipose tissue."

---
Here are a few more studies that showed some good effects of MCT:

Medium-chain triglycerides increase energy expenditure and decrease adiposity in overweight men
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12634436

Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18326600

High-level medium-chain triglyceride feeding and energy expenditure in normal-weight women
"...there were no changes in resting metabolic rate, transient increases in postprandial energy expenditure, and significant increases in postprandial fat oxidation."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17632585

Medium-chain triglycerides are advantageous in promoting weight loss although not beneficial to exercise performance
"MCT increase fat oxidation and energy expenditure as well as reduce food intake and beneficially alter body composition"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20367215

---
There does seem to be quite a bit of evidence in favor of MCT having a positive effect on fat-burning and body-composition, at least for some people and some animal species.

However, there are some studies which didn't show statistically-significant effects of MCT, so I'm not sure what the general consensus is.

Here are some scientific overview articles which reviewed many previous experiments to see what the current state of knowledge is about MCT and fat/weight:

Influence of the dietary intake of medium chain triglycerides on body composition, energy expenditure and satiety: a systematic review
"Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) are rapidly metabolized and less stored in the adipose tissue, being a possible tool for weight control. In order to analyze the influence of consumption of this lipid on satiety, body composition and energy expenditure (EE), a literature review was performed of controlled clinical studies.... Fourteen articles were selected presenting short and long-term intervention. Among these, six showed a decrease in body mass of individuals, with consequent loss of weight. Only one showed a positive effect on satiation and four showed an increase in EE (energy expenditure). Thus the results are inconclusive and there is a need for further controlled studies with standardized amounts of MCT, so that its use can become an alternative for obesity nutritional treatment."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22566308

Influence of medium-chain triglycerides on consumption and weight gain in rats: a systematic review
"The use of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) has been studied for years in an attempt to elucidate their effects in food intake and body weight in animals. A search of scientific work was performed.... Thirteen papers were selected.... Twelve studies measured weight gain and among these, seven detected a decrease in weight gain and five found no differences. Twelve papers also measured food intake and among these, four detected a decrease in consumption, one detected an increase and seven found no differences.
...it is concluded that there is strong evidence that MCTs can effectively reduce the consumption and subsequent weight gain of animals."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23298149

---
The problem with trying to look this topic up on a normal internet search engine is that most of the search results are from companies that are trying to sell coconut products, or those thrown-together, non-expert "articles" on sites like Livestrong, instead of views expressed by authentic doctors/experts. That is why I included so many scientific research studies in this post.

---
For anyone who wishes to reduce midsection girth a little, I would say that it's worth a try to include a little bit of coconut in your diet, and see if there is any effect.

You can do coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut cream, etc. Make Indian or Thai curries, drink the milk with cereal and so forth, make homemade chocolate bars (with cocoa powder, flaked coconut, vanilla flavoring, nuts, and coconut oil), make fruit smoothies with it, cook with the oil as you would olive oil or butter, use the oil as a spread like you would butter on toast (some people really do this!), etc.

For the coconut oil (which makes really tasty homemade popcorn!), my favorite (and a top-rated one by many reviewers) is Nature's Way EFA Gold Pure Extra Virgin, available at good prices on Amazon and other online retailers like Swanson Vitamins. It can also be found at B&M stores (at my local WalMart, they have it in the nutritional supplements section of the pharmacy area, and it's 1.5 times more expensive there than on Amazon).

For the coconut flakes, if you want to try to make your own homemade coconut milk, do NOT go for the heavily-sweetened, moist, thickly cut ones that are marketed for traditional American baking and are usually found in the supermarket with the normal chocolate chips and the baking nuts. Instead, there are several brands of just dried and flaked coconut, tiny pieces, nothing added, and you can choose organic or not organic. You can usually get at least one brand of those in a big "normal" supermarket in the "alternative baking ingredients" area (the area which has the gluten-free flours, the carob chips, the flaxseed, and that kind of thing), or somewhere like Whole Foods if you are lucky enough to have one close by. Bob's Red Mill is one of the widely available brands and you can get a 4-pack on Amazon for a good price.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.