• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

IntelliPower 64MB Cache
SATA 6.0Gb/s
For NAS systems

+ $25 off w/ promo code EMCYTZT2830, ends 1/23

Link

Member Summary

WD20EFRX
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've been very interested in getting some of these, but the Newegg reviews are concerning with all the reported doas.

It is disappointing. I'd like there to be at least one "good" drive out there to rely on.

That reminds me. I still have a DOA green drive to send back. That is what you get for buying one and not testing it within the return period for the retailer.

I've never had a DOA HDD. Caviar Blacks are the best but I've used many Blues and never had one fail, even after 5+ years. I've also had good luck with Samsung and Toshiba.

For what it's worth, I got one of the 3tb reds from Newegg last week and it arrived, packaged quite well and seems to be working reliably. I do recommend leaving it in the box indoors a couple hours until it's warmed up to room temperature (if you're in one of the areas experiencing bitter cold at the moment).

I plan to leave my 3tb green in as well. I'll just have the red set up as my media server's share, and just sync it back to the green every 48 hours or so.

The green I've had has been been very reliable but I'm scared reading all the information about how aggressively WE green drives park it's heads/spins down - which can cause them to accelerate their MTBF greatly.

Terrific price. I bought four (at $109 each) a couple months ago, and they've been working perfectly in my 3ware array.

Amazon has it for the same price, in for one; now I can complete my RAID setup.

I also have a few DOA drives from Newegg, and I never sent them back because it seemed like it was too much trouble/hassle. From what I hear, it's mostly due to Newegg not packaging these drives properly, and/or the shippers tossing these around like they're made of rubber. I've received drives wrapped in bubble wrap that were flat on one side so...

VicVinegar said:   It is disappointing. I'd like there to be at least one "good" drive out there to rely on.

That reminds me. I still have a DOA green drive to send back. That is what you get for buying one and not testing it within the return period for the retailer.

"I've received drives wrapped in bubble wrap that were flat on one side so..."

This is the norm for Newegg for years and eggxactly why I will not buy any hard drive from them anymore. IF you RMA a drive to a manufacturer like that it's reason for them to deny you a warranty repair.

I emailed Newegg management a few years ago with pics asking why they don't better package drop sensitive items like hard drives and they just sent me a rubber stamp email apologizing for any inconvenience.

Too bad, such a simple thing to fix too. Packing in general seems to be something hit or miss with Newegg.

Since I switched to Amazon, my drives have all arrived in proper drive boxes.

Amazon seems more consistent in taking the time to properly package their products (IMO).

$99 at Amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLZ7G/ref=sr...

ditto Amazon's packaging is better, though a friend said Newegg has recently fixed their packaging so it's no longer multiple layers of bubble wrap tossed in a box.
Amazon didn't price match this when I bought it today or I would have bought it from them :-P

Amazon has had issues with incorrectly packing hard-drives, just look at the pictures people posted on Amazon...

IMHO, it's a coin toss as to how poorly they will be packed from Newegg or Amazon.

kenyee said:   though a friend said Newegg has recently fixed their packaging

They might be packaging HDs better... but I just received a battery backup shipped in just the product box made for shelves. No corrugated cardboard, bubble wrap, peanuts, filler or anything.

I wonder why the whole case of the backup was practically shattered!?!?

I'm done with them!

this deal is still on, thanks op

+ 10% off w/ promo code EMCXVWS78, ends 2/15
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236343

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014