• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Credit for this post goes to Grover8 in the dslreports forums:

If you have one of the old Motorola 6xxx series, whether it be a DVR or non-DVR, you can upgrade for free via a trick.

Verizon is offering Free NHL preview til January 31st. Now when you have the old box and try to tune to channel 1470 you will get a message saying you need to upgrade your box to view this channel. This is due to the channel being MPEG-4 which the Motorola 6xxx series do not support. Go through the process and Verizon will ship a new box to you in 3-7 business days via UPS.

Also you can order a new remote if you want also from your TV. Go go to In-Home-Agent and select "get new remote".

The box is a free upgrade. No extra charge other than what your paying monthly for the box.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Adding review of the DVR for those wanting to know the differences in the old 6 series and new 7 series (thanks dc6129!)

Basically, this box is newer, faster, and has more hard drive space for recording. Normally its $35 to upgrade the DVR.

Member Summary

fios
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Whats the difference between the 7216 and the 7232??

jJellybean (Feb. 01, 2013 @ 9:04p) |

Got my replacement about 2 weeks ago and the 7216 is in good condition but I don't like it. Almost every time going fro... (more)

Volney (Feb. 22, 2013 @ 3:53a) |

Got the upgrade stb but giving me issues all the time. The audio cuts out entirely when going from On Demand, DVR or ev... (more)

Volney (Feb. 27, 2013 @ 1:48p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

any cliff notes of what benefits this new model box will bring?

What are the advantages of the new 7 series boxes?

Sexy black housing, 500GB built in drive with external E-SATA expandability, lower power consumption.

Iseman said:   What are the advantages of the new 7 series boxes?When I upgraded a year or so ago, the non-DVR boxes I got had no time (clock) anymore. The DVR versions still have the time.

Here's a detailed review on the Verizon 7 series HD-DVR
Verizon 7232 review

I have Cisco FIOS boxes - guess there's no benefit there?

Decent chance you'd get a 7216, which isn't a major improvement over the 6-series. The 7232 is the one you want.

Get the cisco boxes. They are much better than the Motorola boxes.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Iseman said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are the advantages of the new 7 series boxes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I upgraded a year or so ago, the non-DVR boxes I got had no time (clock) anymore. The DVR versions still have the time.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have this box and viewing the time or channel on the display by default is a setting made within the main menu under Menu>Settings>Set-Top Box>Front Display>Then choose Clock or Channel

Hope that helps

Dekoops said:   I have this box and viewing the time or channel on the display by default is a setting made within the main menu under Menu>Settings>Set-Top Box>Front Display>Then choose Clock or Channel

Hope that helps

The 7 series DVR has a clock, the non DVR HD box does not.

troyh72 said:   Dekoops said:   I have this box and viewing the time or channel on the display by default is a setting made within the main menu under Menu>Settings>Set-Top Box>Front Display>Then choose Clock or Channel

Hope that helps

Not true. The 7100 (non-DVR HD box) has a clock.

Just last month, due to an account change on my FIOS service in NYC, I got 2 new black non-dvr HD boxes, that did not have a clock. For some reason, they couldn't activate. A tech came by and had me try the old wider, silver boxes(Motorola QIP 7100-1) I still had which were slated for return, which worked. I asked him what the difference was. He said nothing, except that the new ones didn't have a clock and were smaller. I asked why the switch to the newer ones, and he said simply it saves the company money. I guess the smaller size and no clock costs less. He said if it was up to him, he would keep the older boxes. He has worked for Verizon for 20 years, so hopefully he knows something of which he was talking about.

BIG advantage is the 500gb and expandable for another 1TB.
Because of their old DVR having a crap amount of space, I went with the $250 gift card and bought my own quad tuner when I signed up. The Ceton quad-tuner is nice with nettops and HTPC setups.

Hmm, might have to try this to have while I build something to host a Ceton quad. These 6xxx boxes are junk. Even the "new" ones.

Skidpalace said:   troyh72 said:   Dekoops said:   I have this box and viewing the time or channel on the display by default is a setting made within the main menu under Menu>Settings>Set-Top Box>Front Display>Then choose Clock or Channel

Hope that helps

Not true. The 7100 (non-DVR HD box) has a clock.

The Motorola QIP 7100-P2 is the latest non-DVR model (no clock)
The Motorola QIP 7232-P2 is the latest DVR (has clock)

link

Crap, I have the old 7 series 7216, and get the channel, so I can't upgrade to the newer 7232

Anyone else getting a network error on their box when they try to do the upgrade?

Just FYI, I upgraded about a year ago, then when I switched account owners, they gave me the old box for my whole house DVR and I couldn't stand it. Had to go in right away to upgrade to the new black box. They tried charging me an upgrade fee, but in the end the employees hooked me up so I didn't have to pay.

ZombieHunter said:   Crap, I have the old 7 series 7216, and get the channel, so I can't upgrade to the newer 7232

If you have any 6 series boxes, you can do the upgrade for all the boxes from it.

Nice post. Thank you so much!

In for One, thanks

Due to our house hold requirement we had to rent 3 DVRs in the past that were all Moto 6 series. Thanks to the Silicondust 4 Tuner and Windows Media Center, instead of $45/month, we now pay $3 for a cable card and have Xboxen at each TV with full DVR functionality that can be accessed at every TV with additional capabilities to boot. It's been over a year now and all the bugs are pretty much worked out and the savings have more than paid for the new STBs. About the only thing we miss is the digital clock though. But I think we can manage. You should consider it, too, if you consider yourself somewhat technical and don't mind a little elbow grease to save money.

Thanks OP. I just placed the order, and the instructions were easy. I would not have known about this offer if not for this post.

Ugh, I have the 7216's... #(*$#(*$@

at first glance i thought BMW was doing a free upgrade! haha very nice post nonetheless OP!

NM, I have a 7216

Dang .. have 7216 here ... and the video quality on the channel is horrid ... but, alas, no offer for a free ugprade when tuning in.

Did this last night. Letter that it was shipped this morning. Notice it will be here tomorrow. Awesome Fatwallet find here!

I just tried this and no offer for free upgrade either

can't you just take the old one to a store and claim it doesn't work, wont they give you a newer one?

I did this and got a replacement for free but not the nice new black one. Oh well. Someone I know just called Verizon and was able to get an order number to swap at a local store that he knew had the new black ones. I'm going to try doing that. No charge as well.

~Paik

Thanks OP, just ordered one.

The movies that you have saved in your old DVR are not transferrable to the new DVR...
so you lose all those movies to gain not much.

Going from 160GB to 500GB is a considerable gain. Going from the crappy SD guide to the HD one is also a nice benefit.

I had a 6xxx series box that was 5 years old. I placed the order on Thursday, 1/24 and I received a replacement on Friday, 1/25. When I opened the box, it was the 7216 model. I didn't want it, as I knew it was an older series (even though it was newer than mine) and it was refurbished. I wanted the 7232. I called Verizon, and was on the line with them for 1 hour. They could not help with my request over the phone, which I thought was ridiculous. They told me I had to go to a FIOS store. I got the location of a store, which was 8 miles away, and I exchanged the 7216 for the 7232. I was told by the rep that only the stores (FIOS stores, not wireless stores) had all new equipment, and if you placed an order online or over the phone, it was likely you would get a refurbished machine. I also got a new remote. I had the rep go over my account. My contract ran out a while back, and I was on a month to month plan. They told me there was a new plan out that would save me $30 a month on the Triple Play I currently had, and would increase my internet speed substantially. I basically signed up for a new two year contract, but for $30 a month savings, that was fine. They also suggested I bring in my 5 year old wireless router, and exchange it for a brand new updated model, for free. I will do that. I was fortunate to have a store nearby, and I know others don't have that option. However, I wanted to share my experience in case it helped anyone. This was time consuming for me, but I got the 7232 that I wanted.

Thank you. It worked!! I received the 7216 500gb Multi Room DVR box yesterday via UPS.

scoot said:   Going from 160GB to 500GB is a considerable gain. Going from the crappy SD guide to the HD one is also a nice benefit.

Plus you can connect esata external drive like 1 TB to these 7s series boxes.

They sent me a 7216, im going to try and goto a fios store and see if they will upgrade me 7232.

Skipping 19 Messages...
Got the upgrade stb but giving me issues all the time. The audio cuts out entirely when going from On Demand, DVR or even some high number channels back down to regular HD versions of the lower number channels. Only fix I have found is to reset the stb using the remote or to pull the hdmi cable and plug it back it in. Either way total pain in back side. URGHHH....old 6 series box never gave me any issues. This one stinks!!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014