• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Classic Nintendo games for 30 cents on Wii U eShop

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/23/classic-games-available-for-30...

"To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo will make one game available on the Wii U eShop for $0.30 between now and July. Each NES or SNES game will be available at the discounted price for 30 days.

First up is Balloon Fight, which is available right now on the eShop at the discounted price. The next six are listed in the picture above. Remember, you only have 30 days to grab each game for $0.30. The Virtual Console will arrive on the Wii U in greater number following the spring update."

January: Balloon Fight
February: F-Zero
March: Punch Out! Featuring Mr. Dream
April: Kirby's Adventure
May: Super Metroid
June: Yoshi
July: Donkey Kong

Jcaelum op

Member Summary

yoshi
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Game price is eligible only in the month it's offered, if purchased for 30 cents during that time, you own the game, and can continue to play it.

Nintendo made a mistake putting the word Trial anywhere near this, their intention was to get people to try out the eShop with this promotion. This was not clearly communicated.

More details at http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

Dates:
Jan 23-Feb 21 for Balloon Fight
Feb 20-March 21 for F-Zero
March 20-April 18 for Punch Out! Featuring Mr. Dream
April 17-May 16 for Kirby's Adventure
May 15-Jun 13 for Super Metroid
June 12-July 11 for Yoshi
July 15-August 13 for Donkey Kong
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Could someone please confirm whether these are available on the Wii Virtual Console? If not, I'll have to remember to check when I get home.

I just read on Engadget some extra details on this sale:

Engadget said: as part of a celebration of the Famicom's 30th anniversary, Nintendo's offering up a trial campaign that'll make certain titles available to download for 30 cents over a 30 day period. Starting in January and running through July, users will be able to demo one select title per month from the eShop: Balloon Fight, F-Zero, Punch-Out featuring Mr. Dream, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Yoshi and Donkey Kong. But, take heed, these teases will only last for the month they're offered and, hopefully, entice you to pay full price when the service officially launches on Wii U.

I was pretty stoked until I saw the whole 30 day things. Nintendo Fail.

Yeah let's put this up in nice big bold before anyone else gets all internet upset.

"After specified promotional period, each game will be made available in the Nintendo eShop at regular price.
Wii U owners who have purchased the game(s) during the promotional period will not need to purchase the game(s) again at the regular price."

Source:
http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/
*Small text right after the donkey kong pic

anyone know if i can buy these in a virtual store without owning a wii yet?
I'm eventually gonna get one, but it's not high on my list of purchases right now - but i REALLY REALLY REALLY want donkey kong!

So go download an emulator and the DK ROM.

More fine print, for those of us who only have a Wii:
"After the launch of the Wii U Virtual Console service, Wii owners who own Virtual Console games and transfer their data to Wii U will be eligible for a special reduced price for each game, applied when they purchase the upgraded Wii U version of those games on the Nintendo eShop. The reduced price will be $1.00 per NES title and $1.50 per Super NES title."

So buy it now, and you can buy a better version if/when you upgrade to a Wii U. I just wish there was a definitive answer to whether or not these games only last for the thirty days they are on sale.

cyberfunkr said:   I just wish there was a definitive answer to whether or not these games only last for the thirty days they are on sale.

There is: "* After specified promotional period, each game will be made available in the Nintendo eShop at regular price. Wii U owners who have purchased the game(s) during the promotional period will not need to purchase the game(s) again at the regular price. Games purchased during this promotional period are eligible for 2 points in the Deluxe Digital Program. Point value subject to change."

You can't get much more clear than that.

lemonhead said:   anyone know if i can buy these in a virtual store without owning a wii yet?
I'm eventually gonna get one, but it's not high on my list of purchases right now - but i REALLY REALLY REALLY want donkey kong!

Even if you could, they are only playable for 30 days. Do you plan on getting a Wii U within the next 30-90 days? Personally, I'd hold off for a price drop. I got one for my kids for X-Mas and they don't even touch it anymore. There is not enough content (i.e. decent games), the Virtual console offers nothing. The Wii TV is useless. It's an overpriced Wii, with the only benefit that it can output Wii U games in HD.

The games are playable until your Wii U disintigrates (and likely after that if Nintendo replaces it past the apocalypse). The sale for 30 cents is only during the 30 days for each game, but the purchase is like a regular eShop purchase. Nintendo made a mistake putting the words "Trial" anywhere near this promotion, the intention on their part was to make it an incentive for people to try out the eShop.

dhsodium said:   The games are playable until your Wii U disintigrates (and likely after that if Nintendo replaces it past the apocalypse). The sale for 30 cents is only during the 30 days for each game, but the purchase is like a regular eShop purchase. Nintendo made a mistake putting the words "Trial" anywhere near this promotion, the intention on their part was to make it an incentive for people to try out the eShop.

Green for good reading skills, along with the others who posted and understand the way this works. For those who still don't understand, I'll repeat.

Each game is available at a discounted price of $0.30 for a pre-defined period of time. After that time, they revert to normal price, but remain playable for as long as your Wii U remains in working order (may transfer to a new Wii U, not sure how they run their store). They aren't charging $0.30 for 30 days of playability. For those like me who are wondering what days they're available and don't want to visit another site (or spend a few minutes coming up with a list of dates which is proven incorrect upon actually visiting the site), the following are the days they will be available.

Jan 23-Feb 21 for Balloon Fight
Feb 20-March 21 for F-Zero
March 20-April 18 for Fake Punch Out without Mike Tyson
April 17-May 16 for Kirby
May 15-Jun 13 for Super Metroid
June 12-July 11 for Yoshi
July 15-August 13 for Donkey Kong

krusty46 said:   
Even if you could, they are only playable for 30 days. Do you plan on getting a Wii U within the next 30-90 days? Personally, I'd hold off for a price drop. I got one for my kids for X-Mas and they don't even touch it anymore. There is not enough content (i.e. decent games), the Virtual console offers nothing. The Wii TV is useless. It's an overpriced Wii, with the only benefit that it can output Wii U games in HD.

First, bad reading skills. Not only playable for 30 days. As far as a price drop, they are already selling the console at a slight loss so you can't really say they are charging too much for it. There is a lot of good content, with a lot more scheduled in the next few months. Several good Indie game available in the eShop as well. It is hardly an overpriced Wii, every single thing about it is improved. However the fact is in HD is reason enough to have it instead of the regular Wii.

Edit: $350 and it includes a $60 game and a large touchscreen controller. I personally have a hard time believing they are selling it so cheap.

vipercon said:   krusty46 said:   

First, bad reading skills. Not only playable for 30 days. As far as a price drop, they are already selling the console at a slight loss so you can't really say they are charging too much for it. There is a lot of good content, with a lot more scheduled in the next few months. Several good Indie game available in the eShop as well. It is hardly an overpriced Wii, every single thing about it is improved. However the fact is in HD is reason enough to have it instead of the regular Wii.

Edit: $350 and it includes a $60 game and a large touchscreen controller. I personally have a hard time believing they are selling it so cheap.

...and that free game (Nintendo Land) is really good. We bought a few other Wii U games (and several used Wii games), but we hardly play anything else buy Nintendo Land.

is this available for the non-U version?

Userid00 said:   is this available for the non-U version?

I'm wondering that myself, not planning on buying a Wii U. The original Wii is fine and the abundance of other consoles companies flood the market with.. just my opinion.

I'm always coming here looking for deals on wii and 3ds stuff.

I'm also playing the NintendoLand a lot. My 5yo and 7yo love the games in it. New Super Mario Bros Wii U didn't last nearly as long. Neither did Rabbids Land.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014