Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

coffee maker
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Got mine today and its broken (

Sent an e-mail back to the company, will see what happens.

OldElmer (Jan. 29, 2013 @ 2:19p) |

One of my cups was also , sending an email.

**Update - emailed Bodum and received a reply requesting photos of the broken... (more)

Abby7711 (Jan. 30, 2013 @ 7:15p) |

Still FREE Shipping code now BEMINE

archena (Feb. 04, 2013 @ 9:38a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP, been waiting a long time to replace my 8 cupper.

Bodum coffee presses also make great tea - but it's best to put the leaves on top of the press, so you can pull them out to keep the tea from getting bitter from overbrewing. I use an 8-cup Bodum press to brew tea for iced tea. (and this is cheaper than a spare cyclinder, so I might get it just to have a spare.) Nice deal, archena

So do you put in hot or cold water to make the coffee?

yesidonoitall said:   So do you put in hot or cold water to make the coffee?

I have only used this for Hot Coffee, would add ice to make Iced Coffee once done.

archena said:   yesidonoitall said:   So do you put in hot or cold water to make the coffee?

I have only used this for Hot Coffee, would add ice to make Iced Coffee once done.

What I meant was, if it is then used with hot water for hot coffee,
by the time it gets to the cup it would no longer be hot enough and would need reheating.
Is it worth all that for pressed coffee?

yesidonoitall said:   archena said:   yesidonoitall said:   So do you put in hot or cold water to make the coffee?

by the time it gets to the cup it would no longer be hot enough and would need reheating.

Reheated coffee or tea is never good.

In for 2 sets. It says 8 cups, but it only makes 4 cups. Not the best price though.

yesidonoitall said:   archena said:   yesidonoitall said:   So do you put in hot or cold water to make the coffee?

You first pour some boiling water, let it stay for a good 20 seconds and pre-heat the coffee maker. Then make coffee. This keeps the coffee still hot when its ready.

I never can seem to complete a transaction on the Bodum website. Payment fails, for some reason. I know my payment card works; I just used it at Amazon! This has happened twice at their site for no legitimate reason (about a month ago, too). Probably for the best, though. I just set a price watch on camelcamelcamel for a notice when the Frieling Ultimo gets to a reasonable price.

EDIT: Bodum quickly replied to my inquiry and stated this sometimes happens because many banks think they are outside of the USA (in Germany) rather than "BodumUSA." +1 for the fast and courteous customer service!

yesidonoitall said:   What I meant was, if it is then used with hot water for hot coffee,
To answer your question a different way, this press-method is the most effective and most popular method in the world for brewing coffee. Not so much in the US. Needs to be used correctly for best results, including pre-heating and the type of grind. Once learnt (real easy), it is also the least labor-intensive method of brewing. Can't go wrong with all these "bests".

I tried a couple of times, but I ended up with coffee with grinds included. I didn't enjoy it much with all the grinds in my cup. Someone gave me a Nespresso machine, and now we're drinking that. The bad part is, it's like liquid crack.

aarzi said:   yesidonoitall said:   What I meant was, if it is then used with hot water for hot coffee,
To answer your question a different way, this press-method is the most effective and most popular method in the world for brewing coffee. Not so much in the US. Needs to be used correctly for best results, including pre-heating and the type of grind. Once learnt (real easy), it is also the least labor-intensive method of brewing. Can't go wrong with all these "bests".

lexscholar said:   I never can seem to complete a transaction on the Bodum website. Payment fails, for some reason. I know my payment card works; I just used it at Amazon! This has happened twice at their site for no legitimate reason (about a month ago, too). Probably for the best, though. I just set a price watch on camelcamelcamel for a notice when the Frieling Ultimo gets to a reasonable price.

EDIT: Bodum quickly replied to my inquiry and stated this sometimes happens because many banks think they are outside of the USA (in Germany) rather than "BodumUSA." +1 for the fast and courteous customer service!

Wayfair.com has Frieling's and with code THANKS2013 you save 15%. They also have free shipping and if you go through FW CashBack, you get another 3% back. It makes the 22 oz press about $57.
Text

aidrees said:   In for 2 sets. It says 8 cups, but it only makes 4 cups. Not the best price though.

one cup is 4 oz.
a "cup" of coffee in the USA is generally 8 oz.....

aarzi said:   yesidonoitall said:   What I meant was, if it is then used with hot water for hot coffee,

We don't usually preheat ours. Morning routine is:
  1. Start the electric kettle with water to boil
  2. grind coffee (my g/f over grinds in my opinion, as in running the grinder for over a minute, but the coffee turns out well regardless and as a bonus I didn't have to make it)
  3. put coffee in bodum
  4. put water in bodum
  5. stir
  6. figure out the rest of breakfast
  7. drink hot coffee (it never cools too much whilst brewing)

In for one, thanks OP.

pokumon said:   I tried a couple of times, but I ended up with coffee with grinds included. I didn't enjoy it much with all the grinds in my cup. Someone gave me a Nespresso machine, and now we're drinking that. The bad part is, it's like liquid crack.Fine grind will do that. Try a coarse grind. Press a little slower. Enjoy the best possible flavor out of whatever beans you are using.

In 4 1. Thanks Op

I just bought one of these (green not red) a couple of weeks ago from Target. Paid about $22 for it but it was just the press and no cups included. I've been using it at work since I got it. Course ground coffee and hot water from the water cooler. Way better than the office coffee and I haven't had any issues with grinds in my cup or the coffee getting cold.

thx op! got one for the gf.

archena said:   yesidonoitall said:   archena said:   yesidonoitall said:   So do you put in hot or cold water to make the coffee?

Can you justify your statement, archena ? There are many like us, who like c/t to be piping hot and we nuke it at least once after it is made. Why is this bad ? Did a search, seems to be folk lore. And what about coffee pots that are at constant heat..apart from tasting nasty ?

Nostradamus said:   archena said:   yesidonoitall said:   archena said:   yesidonoitall said:   So do you put in hot or cold water to make the coffee?

Can you justify your statement, archena ? There are many like us, who like c/t to be piping hot and we nuke it at least once after it is made. Why is this bad ? Did a search, seems to be folk lore. And what about coffee pots that are at constant heat..apart from tasting nasty ?

I never like coffee or tea that is reheated, I will use boiling water in my press.

archena said:   I never like coffee or tea that is reheated, I will use boiling water in my press.

I totally agree. I can taste the difference between reheated or even old coffee that has been sitting on the burner for more than 20min. Ideally you want the water to cool just a bit before adding it to the french press. Coffee is best when brewed at 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit, so I bring it to a boil (212 degrees F) and then let it cool just a bit before adding.

While fresh coffee always tastes best -- gentle rewarming probably will work for relatively fresh coffee. The problem with nuking coffee is that most of the time, the coffee is left in too long and starts to boil. Boiling breaks down the oils and other compounds in the coffee, thatís why the old-school percolators made such spectacularly bad coffee.

Even if the coffee isnít boiled in the microwave, the way microwave ovens work -- they do not uniformly heat a liquid. Unless the coffee is constantly being stirred in the microwave; parts of the coffee will be at boil temp, while other parts will be cool.

Very nice archena - got one in red.

If you want just the press without the mugs, you can get it at World Market for $10.19 w/ free shipping. Use code WM49. Text

Got mine today and its broken (

OldElmer said:   Got mine today and its broken (

One of my cups was also , sending an email.

**Update - emailed Bodum and received a reply requesting photos of the broken mug, which I had - will update again after they get back to me.

Still FREE Shipping code now BEMINE

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.