• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Fun little radio to play around with, I bought one a few months ago. I have been using the heavens-above website (http://www.heavens-above.com/amateursats.aspx?lat=0&lng=0&loc=Un... to find and listen to satellite repeaters and have been able to catch some with the stock anetnna.

Also been working on a DIY yagi antenna for better signal. (http://makeprojects.com/Project/Homemade+Yagi+Antenna/623/1)

starchpoodle said:   Fun little radio to play around with, I bought one a few months ago. I have been using the heavens-above website (http://www.heavens-above.com/amateursats.aspx?lat=0&lng=0&loc=Un... to find and listen to satellite repeaters and have been able to catch some with the stock anetnna.

Also been working on a DIY yagi antenna for better signal. (http://makeprojects.com/Project/Homemade+Yagi+Antenna/623/1)


Thanks

Cornelius said:   snake253 said:   Anyone what is the difference between this and the Baofeng UV 5RA for $45.50 ?

The differences appear to be mostly cosmetic. The newer models should have newer firmware (which reportedly is not field upgradeable), however my original model UV 5R that I purchased a few months ago also had the latest version firmware. So far, I have been pleased with the one I purchased. These radios are insanely cheap to buy, and I like the simplicity compared to my Yaesu VX-5R, where each tiny button has 3 different functions...

Be sure to order a programing cable as it makes things much easier. You can download the programing software from Baofeng's website: http://www.powerphone.com.cn/en/khfw.asp?1

There is also an open source program called Chirp that works with the Baofeng radios: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

Much more very helpful information on the UV 5R can be found here: http://miklor-uv5r.99k.org/

73


Apologize for asking an answered question. Given the answers above .. is the newer UV-5RA the better deal at $45.50 (or $44.80) or is the UV-5R Plus at $49.95 better because it is firmware upgradable now & future? i.e. is the firmware upgradability the difference between the two ? They look pretty much the same. Thanks.

hpmax said:   kboran, I've only heard of one amateur radio sold in the US that could transmit outside of amateur frequencies without intentional modification. The one exception was a Yaesu/Vertex radio that was intended to work as both an aviation radio and an amateur radio. Yaesu discontinued it because of legal concerns.
I don't have this radio, but I do have the UV-3R and that definitely transmits on anything. A proper amateur radio would indeed be restricted to those frequencies but these aren't really amateur radios, just generic Chinese 2-ways that probably have no US specific programming. At least some versions apparently even have Part 90 certification to allow them to legitimately be used on the business bands.

WoozyMoose said:   Cornelius said:   snake253 said:   Anyone what is the difference between this and the Baofeng UV 5RA for $45.50 ?

The differences appear to be mostly cosmetic. The newer models should have newer firmware (which reportedly is not field upgradeable), however my original model UV 5R that I purchased a few months ago also had the latest version firmware. So far, I have been pleased with the one I purchased. These radios are insanely cheap to buy, and I like the simplicity compared to my Yaesu VX-5R, where each tiny button has 3 different functions...

Be sure to order a programing cable as it makes things much easier. You can download the programing software from Baofeng's website: http://www.powerphone.com.cn/en/khfw.asp?1

There is also an open source program called Chirp that works with the Baofeng radios: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

Much more very helpful information on the UV 5R can be found here: http://miklor-uv5r.99k.org/

73


Apologize for asking an answered question. Given the answers above .. is the newer UV-5RA the better deal at $45.50 (or $44.80) or is the UV-5R Plus at $49.95 better because it is firmware upgradable now & future? i.e. is the firmware upgradability the difference between the two ? They look pretty much the same. Thanks.


Did I miss something? What is the reference indicating the firmware is upgradeable?

These radios don't have upgradeable firmware.. I think he meant it came with updated firmware..

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   These radios don't have upgradeable firmware.. I think he meant it came with updated firmware..

Yes I think you are right

Thanks for posting. I've been meaning to get a Tech license someday. Might have to purchase this to motivate me to get it done.

Butcherboy said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   These radios don't have upgradeable firmware.. I think he meant it came with updated firmware..

Yes I think you are right


OK & Thanks, guys. i.e. newer UV-5RA for $44.80 just as good as the UV-5RA Plus.

[written yesterday]
yesterday, found this radio (thanks again Butcherboy!).

(was to be a SHTF bag item)

this morning, figured i'd have more fun if i got a tech class license,
found the local university had their quarterly testing TONIGHT,
studied part of the day,

took test on the way to drop my kid @bowling,
>>> got 35 of 35 right on TECH ham test! 100% yay

some was pure physics that i suppose
i had enuf wisdom to grasp, at least on a multiple choice test

corba said:   [written yesterday]
yesterday, found this radio (thanks again Butcherboy!).

(was to be a SHTF bag item)

this morning, figured i'd have more fun if i got a tech class license,
found the local university had their quarterly testing TONIGHT,
studied part of the day,

took test on the way to drop my kid @bowling,
>>> got 35 of 35 right on TECH ham test! 100% yay

some was pure physics that i suppose
i had enuf wisdom to grasp, at least on a multiple choice test


Congrats on your test score. What study material did you use?

mm04 said:   

Congrats on your test score. What study material did you use?



exclusively https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp

if I get one am I suppose to wear this on my belt?

germanpope said:   if I get one am I suppose to wear this on my belt?

No, clip it on your Pope hat..

corba said:   mm04 said:   

Congrats on your test score. What study material did you use?



exclusively https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp


Congrats on the Test score success & thanks big time for the exam info link. BTW what next steps needed now that you've aced the exam ? Any fees involved to the FCC or governing body for getting the Technician License ?

WoozyMoose said:   
Congrats on the Test score success & thanks big time for the exam info link. BTW what next steps needed now that you've aced the exam ? Any fees involved to the FCC or governing body for getting the Technician License ?


FCC has a database i can check for acknowldegement, I imagine a week or two.

THere was a $15 fee, said to to to ARRL.org for admin fees.

BTW, the test questions were 35 of the 120 EXACT questions on that link!

corba said:   WoozyMoose said:   
Congrats on the Test score success & thanks big time for the exam info link. BTW what next steps needed now that you've aced the exam ? Any fees involved to the FCC or governing body for getting the Technician License ?


FCC has a database i can check for acknowldegement, I imagine a week or two.

THere was a $15 fee, said to to to ARRL.org for admin fees.

BTW, the test questions were 35 of the 120 EXACT questions on that link!


So they just took 120 questions from the 350 test question pool?

UV-5R vs UV-5R+ Plus UV-5RA

any link that shows build dates and specific differences ?

bkdg100 said:   UV-5R vs UV-5R+ Plus UV-5RA

any link that shows build dates and specific differences ?


I think its all just cosmetic differences at best..

I am seeing some of the models online advertising coverage of 136-174 & 400-520 Mhz instead of the 136-164 & 400-480 Mhz shown on this model.

Anyone that has experience with this model series happen to know if that is that a hardware difference, or is that just a firmware change?

Any significant reason to have an interest in the 481-520 Mhz bands?

They all go to 480, but there is custom programming software that unlocks all of them to 520..

skavoovie5 said:   Any significant reason to have an interest in the 481-520 Mhz bands?A slightly different type of hiss than on the lower freqs.

Just ordered one, thanks OP. Also ordered the new UV-5S from eBay.

These radio's can be programmed as MURS or FRS/GMRS walkie-talkies...but...they are not type certified for those bands, so you could still get fined by the FCC for using them. Though pretty unlikely.

Thanks. Prices at Amazon incl free super saver shipping.


UV-5R. $42 apparently doesn't include earplugs/microphone set

UV-5RA $44.80

UV-5R Plus. $49.90

So which deal is the best ? I guess UV-5RA for $44.80 if the earplugs/microphone set is worth more than $2.80. Which I'd guess it is. Otherwise UV-5R at $42 shipped might be the best deal.

Any comments ?

been a long time since I studied electronics --- are there still questions about vacuum tubes?

guys forgive me sicne this is definatley something I should have a little more knowledge about than I do which is to say I am still failry clueless. I started studying for my exam whic I have bee meaning to work towards for many years now 2 days ago after reading this thread.

My question is as a pilot obviously I transmit on all the aviation victor freqs, and use my handheld out of my plane to enjoy airshows and whatnot. Depending on wha tI am using or who I am with I also listen to the uniform for fun when military demo teams and the like perform.

My understanding is that some Ham radio are also capable of accessing aviation uninform frequencies? correct or no or it depends?

finally liek I said am am still such a newb that I have no idea if this is a hobby i will enjoy or not... but do these radios have any decent ability to serve as walkie talkies if you will betwween two licensees...? or is it sucha hassle its not worht it


Can anyone point me towards any of the newer .civ band radios that have the best range for two way commms. I understsand that most of them are limited by LOS but i believe that there have been some new freq blocks recently made available for pbulic use that has stretched that slightly. Any suggestions?


thanks

mm04 said:   Also ordered the new UV-5S from eBay.


Sure that's legit?

I find no reference to that model number on the manufacturer's website, or anywhere else for that matter. Additionally, the one seller I found mentioning that model number on eBay lists the UV-5R+ in the "package" section of what will be received.

I don't get it. What's the point? I'm trying to rationalize buying it but I'm having trouble.

caterpillar123 said:   I don't get it. What's the point? I'm trying to rationalize buying it but I'm having trouble.

agreed --- I am trying to find the energy to rediscover the nerd inside me.

I think I'll put it off for six months. The price won't be going up.

I bought this radio a few months ago and love it. If you get the programming cable you will be able to put a text description with each freq you program and to the best of my knowledge you can not do it without one. Also I bought a better antenna for cheap on eBay and it improve the range significantly. I highly recommend you get both if you get his radio.

antenna on ebay

Easygoing said:   I bought this radio a few months ago and love it. If you get the programming cable you will be able to put a text description with each freq you program and to the best of my knowledge you can not do it without one. Also I bought a better antenna for cheap on eBay and it improve the range significantly. I highly recommend you get both if you get his radio.

antenna on ebay
What are you listening to? Who are you talking to?

germanpope said:   been a long time since I studied electronics --- are there still questions about vacuum tubes?Yes, question 34a in particular...

If your pentode is crosswired to the thermionic diode, and the shunt is parallel to the isolation transformer, which direction does the current flow thru the superhet section?

a) Up
b) Down
3) Sorta round and round
k) Venezuela


I find it's essential not to get freaked out by the questions. Just treat it like any other multiple choice quiz... and guess.

blackjakjunk, Many modern 2M amateur radios can receive aviation transmissions. The only amateur radio that can legally transmit on aviation frequencies is the Yaesu VXA-700 which was discontinued a while ago and is hard to get used. I say legal, because it may be possible to modify other radios to transmit on aviation frequencies, HOWEVER... Aviation radios use amplitude modulation, and most handheld 2M radios only transmit FM, which means even if you could modify it to transmit on aviation frequencies it wouldn't work well. They will work as "walkietalkies" as well as any modern aviation handheld radio, although they will have a host of additional features -- some of which may actually be useful depending on the circumstances. Note that this particular radio does not receive aviation transmissions and definitely doesn't transmit.

corba, the exams are given by at least 3 volunteers (Volunteer Examiners) who belong to a particular Volunteer Exam Coordinator. The VECs are authorized by the FAA to give the exam on their behalf. VECs are allowed to charge a nominal fee to cover costs of administrating the exam. Some VECs do, some don't.

The questions are multiple choice, pulled from a pool of questions. The entire pool of questions (and answers) are published. The questions (and answers, including actual letters) will appear in the exam exactly as published. Also, the FCC is required to cite a reference showing how each answer is correct. I find the most effective way to study is to read over the questions and the letter of the answer repeatedly. Most of the regulatory questions cannot be reasoned, they must be memorized.

Easygoing said:   I bought this radio a few months ago and love it. If you get the programming cable you will be able to put a text description with each freq you program and to the best of my knowledge you can not do it without one. Also I bought a better antenna for cheap on eBay and it improve the range significantly. I highly recommend you get both if you get his radio.

antenna on ebay


What software are you using to program?

WoozyMoose said:   Thanks. Prices at Amazon incl free super saver shipping.


UV-5R. $42 apparently doesn't include earplugs/microphone set

UV-5RA $44.80

UV-5R Plus. $49.90

So which deal is the best ? I guess UV-5RA for $44.80 if the earplugs/microphone set is worth more than $2.80. Which I'd guess it is. Otherwise UV-5R at $42 shipped might be the best deal.

Any comments ?


I would go with the UV-5RA at [L=$37.98http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MAKWC0?ie=UTF8&seller=A3QII02QYZ1XLB&sn=radio-mart[/L] and add a programming cable for $3.28. Since this is from the Amazon site and it is a USA seller this is probably a low risk deal.

$11 shipping may kill this deal

henare said:   enforcement action

Fines normally range from $7,500 to $10,000.
How would the FCC or govn't know who was operating without a license?

acrochriscb said:   henare said:   enforcement action

Fines normally range from $7,500 to $10,000.
How would the FCC or govn't know who was operating without a license?


You have to provide your callsign every 10 mins.
(I just started studying for my tech license this weekend, otherwise I wouldn't have known that. )

I used the "chirp" free software. It is easy to use and work awesome. I live in a rural area and wanted to program several repeaters and have the names show on the radio display.
I bought the cheapie China cable on eBay and it worked fine.

Its mostly for emergencies. I live on the Oregon coast and there are many dead spots for cell phone reception. If you break down you are at the mercy of other drivers for assistance.
Also, at my house there is no cell phone reception, so I have a way to communicate if the power goes out. Its in the car with me where ever I go.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014