• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
Will the programing cable from a Wouxun work on this unit? I own a couple of Wouxuns and bought one of these to try.

Programming cables are just serial adapters.. As long as they fit into the mix and speakers ports on the UV-5R, you should be good

Thanks for the reply,

I will see if the cable I have will work then.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Programming cables are just serial adapters.. As long as they fit into the mix and speakers ports on the UV-5R, you should be good

Not quite that simple in this case.
http://miklor-uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html

looking to pick up a female truck driver - should I get one?

There are some decent instructional videos on YouTube for the BaoFeng UV-5R. Didn't check for the later models.

Easygoing said:   I bought this radio a few months ago and love it. If you get the programming cable you will be able to put a text description with each freq you program and to the best of my knowledge you can not do it without one. Also I bought a better antenna for cheap on eBay and it improve the range significantly. I highly recommend you get both if you get his radio.

antenna on ebay

What range were you getting before and after the new antenna?

Thanks!

Amazon Fouls!

Ordered:
Delivery estimate: Jan. 30, 2013 - Feb. 2, 2013
1 "BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, More Stubborn Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 the Latest V"
Electronics; $49.99
In Stock
Sold by: WickedSpec (fulfilled by Amazon)

RECEIVED UV-5RA w/BFB231 firmware !!

Amazon doesn't usually mess up like this! going back.

Unfortunately, Amazon no longer stocks the UV-5r PLUS at $49!!!

never a dull moment..........

I do not know anything about radios..I wanted to ask if I get a license will me and my wife be able to use it..We'd like to use it as a two way radio on hikes or when we go out sometimes when out of town..Sorry if my question is too dumb..I just do not know enough.

I did use a motorola consumer two way radio before but I felt it didnt serve very well..

goodfornothing said:   I do not know anything about radios..I wanted to ask if I get a license will me and my wife be able to use it..We'd like to use it as a two way radio on hikes or when we go out sometimes when out of town..Sorry if my question is too dumb..I just do not know enough.

I did use a motorola consumer two way radio before but I felt it didnt serve very well..

Only if she ALSO gets a license, or if you call her on an autopatch repeater (on her phone)

Might stick to FRS

corba said:   Amazon Fouls!

Ordered:
1 "BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, More Stubborn Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 the Latest V"
Electronics; $49.99
In Stock

Amazon did nothing wrong. WickedSpec is at fault for sending you the wrong radio.
Click on OP's link. Sainstore sells the plus model for $49.99. Email them and ask for free shipping through Amazon or speak with Amazon Customer Service. Amazon will make it it right for you.

mm04 said:   corba said:   Amazon Fouls!

Ordered:
Electronics; $49.99
In Stock

Amazon did nothing wrong. WickedSpec is at fault for sending you the wrong radio.
Click on OP's link. Sainstore sells the plus model for $49.99. Email them and ask for free shipping through Amazon or speak with Amazon Customer Service. Amazon will make it it right for you.

I was under the impression if Amazon fulfills, it comes from Amazon warehouse via Amazon crew??

corba said:   mm04 said:   corba said:   Amazon Fouls!

Ordered:
Electronics; $49.99
In Stock

I was under the impression if Amazon fulfills, it comes from Amazon warehouse via Amazon crew??

My mistake, I believe you are right. If it said "fulfilled by Amazon", then Amazon made the error. Again, call Amazon Customer Service, they will make it right.

zettler said:   Easygoing said:   I bought this radio a few months ago and love it. If you get the programming cable you will be able to put a text description with each freq you program and to the best of my knowledge you can not do it without one. Also I bought a better antenna for cheap on eBay and it improve the range significantly. I highly recommend you get both if you get his radio.

antenna on ebay

Thanks!

You mileage my vary, but with the stock antenna hitting a local repeater which is on a mountain top, I was getting approx 20 miles, and with the upgraded antenna around 50 Miles.

Easygoing said:   zettler said:   Easygoing said:   I

Thanks!

You mileage my vary, but with the stock antenna hitting a local repeater which is on a mountain top, I was getting approx 20 miles, and with the upgraded antenna around 50 Miles.

Wow! Thanks. I ordered one and might get a second if it proves to be worth it.

You too, huh?

Looks like we got a better (newer) radio, but paid $5 more than we would have had we just ordered the 5a to start with.

While technically a problem, I'm not gonna gripe. $49 is chicken feed for this radio, and the $5 is hardly a spec. Can't blame anyone who wants to complain, just not gonna be one of them.

Ordered:
Electronics; $49.99
In Stock

I didn't get a 'newer' radio. I could have lived with it (the UV-5RA model) if it weren't for the BFB231 firmware, BFB291+ was a major change and allegedely improved many bugs. I think they also call the 5RA model erroneiously the UV-5R+, but the picture sure doesn't match the one I received.

I was shocked how dead 2m and 70cm is in Orlando! I programmed (by hand) the closest 20 repeaters, and I only heard traffic from about 8am-9am today, only one station 'monitoring' at lunch time, I was scanning 20 repeaters all day. Internet killed the radio star!?

jwardl said:   You too, huh?

Looks like we got a better (newer) radio, but paid $5 more than we would have had we just ordered the 5a to start with.

While technically a problem, I'm not gonna gripe. $49 is chicken feed for this radio, and the $5 is hardly a spec. Can't blame anyone who wants to complain, just not gonna be one of them.

Ordered:
Electronics; $49.99
In Stock

My battery came fully charged. Anyone else get the same?

mgatwincam said:   My battery came fully charged. Anyone else get the same?

Seems so here too, but i left it on for about 20 hrs b4 it needed recharge.

goodfornothing said:   I do not know anything about radios..I wanted to ask if I get a license will me and my wife be able to use it..We'd like to use it as a two way radio on hikes or when we go out sometimes when out of town..Sorry if my question is too dumb..I just do not know enough.

I would recommend looking for MURS walkie talkies on eBay. It's non-licensed like FRS, but in the VHF band which generally works better for outdoor "terrain following" communication. There are only 5 channels, so it never really caught on commercially, but hardly anyone uses it. In fact I have never heard any chatter on mine, even in populated areas or events.....unlike FRS. It's like having your own personal frequency band.

I just got mine from SainStore thru Amazon but it did not have the antenna...
Is it worth keeping and just getting a new antenna on eBay?

Visuvius said:   I just got mine from SainStore thru Amazon but it did not have the antenna...

Have SainStore Send you a new one or a new antenna

Visuvius said:   I just got mine from SainStore thru Amazon but it did not have the antenna...

It could be the crappiest of antenna's but I would want to have what it comes with anyway..

Bought one for me and one for the gf. I've wanted to get my ham license for some time now. Should be fun. Thanks OP.

corba said:   goodfornothing said:   I do not know anything about radios..I wanted to ask if I get a license will me and my wife be able to use it..We'd like to use it as a two way radio on hikes or when we go out sometimes when out of town..Sorry if my question is too dumb..I just do not know enough.

Only if she ALSO gets a license, or if you call her on an autopatch repeater (on her phone)

Might stick to FRS

I would strongly suggest doing this if you are interested in having another hobby
The license is quite easy to get
You can use a repeater to allow you to communicate over much lager distances than you could with a business band radio

Received this radio on Tuesday and have one question,- during a conversation that lasted about 2 minutes, the area at the corner of the radio by the antenna got very hot. I know the final will do this on high power but it didn't get warm, it got HOT.

Anyone have the same thing happen?

That is a great question, and I appreciate the opportunity to answer it. I understand you are not contemplating breaking the law like the idiot that posted earlier, you simply want to understand how it's done. Technically referred to as signal triangulation or radio direction finding (RDF), Hams like to call it "Fox Hunting". We use the same concepts as an iPhone triangulating it's approximate location from 3 cell towers, or one with GPS technology triangulating location from satellites. We use multiple readings on transmission strength variences from the dirtball illegally transmitting to locate rogue signals, and some of us even hold competitions called fox hunts to tune our skills at quick and accurate RDF. You see, beyond the obvious fact that you are knowingly and willfully breaking Federal Law which legitimate Hams take conscious pains to legally and ethically work within, it is a true fact that the kind of dirt ball idiots who say "piss off" to federal agents probably don't have the brainpower to study and learn what they're doing. Thus, said pissy dirtball idiots tend to make even bigger fools of themselves on the air than on internet discussion forums. These pissy dirtball idiot fools tend to be discourteous and annoying to licensed Hams who follow both the rules of the law as well as the rules of common courtesy. Said annoyed federally licensed Hams then break out their homegrown RDF gear and go on a Fox Hunt. Federal agents then come to the point of signal origin with a search warrant and things go downhill swiftly for the annoying pissy dirtball idiot fool knowingly making illegal transmissions.

All of this is hypothetical, of course.

Given that the Technicians test is easy, only costs a measly $15, and free study materials for the Technician License abound (see http://TheBasicLife.com/doku.php?id=communications for a number of good links all in one place), why would someone not simply do things the ethical and legal way? Being a licensed Ham operator allows you to join your local Ham club, where very experienced Hams wait to help you program that new shiny Baofeng. Without such support, how will you know what CTCSS to use or what the offset is for, say, a 2M band freq and what the offset shift is - all so you can hit your local repeater? Unlike higher end HTs, the Baofengs don't automatically insert everything except the frequency for you. With a Baofeng you have to know a little more about what you're doing and it really helps to have friendly experienced mentors willing and wanting to help you. Earning your Technicians License opens up a whole new world where you are mentored, encouraged to grow, and afforded opportunities to compete as well as help others in ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services), instead of choosing the pissy path of others and being seen by the entire organized (ARRL.org) Ham community as well as the federal government as a low-life, law breaking, scum sucking, annoying pissy dirtball idiot fool.

As a end note, I negatively commented on illegal transmissions. Please note that in a life threatening emergency FCC rules specifies and common sense dictates that transmitting in any way on any wavelength at any power level is legal - as long as it is a true emergency. The FCC does not consider running out of beer an emergency. While that may encourage you to go ahead and buy a radio, throw it in a bug out bag and forget about it, let me ask you - what good is it if you don't know how to operate it? How good will you sound on a violin you bought if you never study how to play it and never practice at it? Get your license and practice. When you finally upgrade to an iCom or Kenwood or Yaesu, THAT'S WHEN you throw your trusty old Baofeng into the bug out bag.

JonnyRock said:   For those who want to use them as a scanner, be careful
In many locations it is illegal to transport "Equipment or a combination of equipment that can monitor police broadcasts in a vehicle"
In Minnesota, those with a Ham license are exempted from this las (sect 299.5.37)
I used to carry a copy of the statute in my car as when I got pulled over and they saw a radio they assumed I was listening to them
and attempted to prove it or use it as an excuse to search my car
(I have more interesting things to do with my time)
and it is hard to explain to an idiot that there are other types of radios that exist
(Note that it may still be illegal to listen to them in a car, this statute just allows you to posses that equipment)
(not to nitpick but it is 73 not 73s)

Ditto for FL. The local police have been sending many cases of radios to the state attorney's for prosecution when they aren't sure and they are in turn winding up with the FCC for enforcement action. If you want to play get a license (if you can pass the test. And yes FRS/GMRS combo radios require a license too, which is just a fee, which many people dont bother to read the package warnings about.

A non geezer who bothered to do the right thing so radio frequencies are not clogged by morons like the old CB days

Price down to $47.99

Wads said:   yakky said:   These are great, work just like FRS radios (though tuning them to the same channel is a bit of a PITA). The range is AWESOME. You DO NOT NEED A LICENSE KEY, they work as is! Every once in a while like old crabby guy will jump on and yell about something regarding unlicensed transmissions, etc, but you can just tell him to piss off and he goes away. Battery life is great too.

Against federal law

True, but just like illegal immigration it isn't enforced.

Lvscott said:   Wads said:   yakky said:   These are great, work just like FRS radios (though tuning them to the same channel is a bit of a PITA). The range is AWESOME. You DO NOT NEED A LICENSE KEY, they work as is! Every once in a while like old crabby guy will jump on and yell about something regarding unlicensed transmissions, etc, but you can just tell him to piss off and he goes away. Battery life is great too.

Against federal law

True, but just like illegal immigration it isn't enforced.

Ya right----until you get caught. People have been prosecuted.

Hello,
I have a UV-5RC and I like it. I don't have to worry about dropping it and breaking a expensive radio. The handheld mike and a little better antenna are cheap as well. I haven't had any problems with mine except for leaning how to load the driver for the usb cable. I use CHIRP to program because somthing in the Baofeng software sets off my antivirus software. The only drawbacks are you can't do WIRES or D-Star and softimes scanning can feel clunky but you aren't paying $150-$500 for a HT unit.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.