• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
PhonePower VOIP

softphone, iphone apps, and onine voicemail, callforward access changes are unique and convenient.

Member Summary

Phone (12.44kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
In my case, I understood VoIP technology well enough after the end of the 4th year of PP to graduate to voip.ms - cheape... (more)

shank (Mar. 21, 2013 @ 10:53p) |

I love Phone Power! I've had them for years, I can't believe i used to have Vonage before. It seems like all these compa... (more)

TheKuja (Mar. 22, 2013 @ 1:04a) |

Talkatone is crap for that..since talkatone/google voice has one codec : PCMA/PCMU. This codec uses 64kpbs for each inco... (more)

KayK (Mar. 22, 2013 @ 7:16a) |

Do you really want a NEW provider? You can expect bad service.

Why not go with a very well respected company, like voip.ms, and pay no monthly fee and only .01 cent a minute..

Bizatch said:   

only .01 cent a minute..

.01 dollar a minute
( 1 cent a minute)

I use ooma core ... no fees
no per month
no per minute
no taxes (grandfather clause)
new subscribers pay local and state taxes / fees = about $ 4 month

PhonePower is NOT a new provider. I have been a customer of theirs for 4 years now with excellent results. The only complaint I have is that they only offer these promo rates to new customers.

Make it simple... Get an Obi110 for $40, and set it up for Google Voice.. Free calls..

PhonePower http://www.phonepower.com is a GREAT option for those first considering VoIP. Unlike Ooma, the $6 per month includes free lease of the adapter (no upfront investment), and FULL FEATURED service - voicemail, call forwarding, cheap international rates, and I believe it includes free 60 minutes of international calls to a long list of first world countries. We had the service for 4 years, no longer require newbie support, have moved on to more advanced, lower cost voip.ms.

As Bizatch suggests, voip.ms is one of better options for those with a higher level of undertanding, have their own equipment. I have used them for both business and home service for more than 3 years, excellent overall value - lots of advanced features, excellent reliability and quality, good support, price is tough to beat.

Bizatch said:   Make it simple... Get an Obi110 for $40, and set it up for Google Voice.. Free calls..

Simple for whom - requires an understanding of VoIP, free as long as Google continues to offer it; great for casual use, not for a business, someone who wants dependable, reliable service, with some level of support.

I do not see any $6 per month plan at that link.

HardlyWorthit said:   I do not see any $6 per month plan at that link.

I don't either, just $8.33. Which isn't bad really.

I don't see it...

FatBoy007 said:   I don't see it...You have to cut/paste the link; FW redirect is breaking it.

http://www.phonepower.com/greatdeal.aspx?gclid=CJ3IpInZhLUCFYF7Q...

you have to prepaid for a year and they give you 2nd year free , still have to pay taxes on standard rate at that time

dammit - still have to cut/paste link to see it like NoMoneyInMyWallet said.

I'm on my 4th year now ending in March. I had to fight really hard for them to extend the offer to me after the 2nd year ended. I highly doubt it they'd give it to me again this time even with threatening to cancel.

Other than that, service is great.

lydiachang said:   I'm on my 4th year now ending in March. I had to fight really hard for them to extend the offer to me after the 2nd year ended. I highly doubt it they'd give it to me again this time even with threatening to cancel.

So I guess we can count on $15 a month after the first 2 years. Not too bad if the support is as good as landline.

i can use any of these voip providers to receive and send faxes?

straight
talk cheaper and you don't even need the internet

dfwrealtor said:   i can use any of these voip providers to receive and send faxes?

I use my Obi to send faxes through Google voice. Works great and free (after ~$40 Obi purchase.)

dfwrealtor said:   i can use any of these voip providers to receive and send faxes?

YMMV - some fax machines are better than others when it comes to VoIP, fast, clean internet connection also helps.

PP offers FaxCatcher - an option to auto detect incoming faxes, convert them to file, downloadable from their website. There are various free, low cost solutions for sending faxes online, so between the 2, all you really need is a scanner.

lydiachang said:   I'm on my 4th year now ending in March. I had to fight really hard for them to extend the offer to me after the 2nd year ended. I highly doubt it they'd give it to me again this time even with threatening to cancel.

I did not even try the second time; by year 4, I understood VoIP well enough to move on to voip.ms, buy my own hardware, monthly cost per line (we have 4 total, 2 different numbers) is less than $6 per number, with advanced features for my business (including automated attendant), very good online support (chat, email).

Talkatone APP (IPad/iPod/iPhone) is free. Combine it with GoogleVoice and you have a Free phone (incoming and outgoing calls),

rich123 said:   Talkatone APP (IPad/iPod/iPhone) is free. Combine it with GoogleVoice and you have a Free phone (incoming and outgoing calls),

Do you use it that way? Does it work well on 3g? I'm looking at the 100 minute T-Mobile plan and would like to have a backup voice option.

Thanks.

Dennis

shank said:   Bizatch said:   Make it simple... Get an Obi110 for $40, and set it up for Google Voice.. Free calls..

Simple for whom - requires an understanding of VoIP, free as long as Google continues to offer it; great for casual use, not for a business, someone who wants dependable, reliable service, with some level of support.

Our Obi/GV service did not require an understanding of VoIP, which it isn't. The instructions aren't as clear as I'd like, but if I could decipher them, they're certainly not complex. The service has been much more reliable than $40/month POTS, Cellular, or Skype services, for 13 months. Total cost: $39 for the box.

Is it appropriate for business?
No. Any businessman who publishes a "free" phone number is a fool, who won't be around for long.
Until Google starts taking customer service phone calls and answering inquiries, one should not depend on them.
Obviously, that will not come free.

Any "businessman" who commits his published phone number(s) to one exclusive vendor is asking for failure, paid or not.

Any suggestions on how to get this? Coming to the end of the 2 yr contract/promotional pricing. Thanks!

deal dead? Dont see it on their page...

Here you go - still going for new customers

http://www.phonepower.com/greatdeal.aspx

noworries said:   Any suggestions on how to get this? Coming to the end of the 2 yr contract/promotional pricing. Thanks!

In my case, I understood VoIP technology well enough after the end of the 4th year of PP to graduate to voip.ms - cheaper, more features and capabilities.

I love Phone Power! I've had them for years, I can't believe i used to have Vonage before. It seems like all these companies have their share of taxes though so what makes ooma so special? doesn't it have call restrictions?

sleepfaster said:   rich123 said:   Talkatone APP (IPad/iPod/iPhone) is free. Combine it with GoogleVoice and you have a Free phone (incoming and outgoing calls),

Do you use it that way? Does it work well on 3g? I'm looking at the 100 minute T-Mobile plan and would like to have a backup voice option.

Thanks.

Dennis
Talkatone is crap for that..since talkatone/google voice has one codec : PCMA/PCMU. This codec uses 64kpbs for each incoming and outgoing channel. Add in overhead header information, and you're looking at about 150kbps.
Using voip.ms on the other hand, you can choose what codec you want. If using GSM or G729 codec (both 8kbps), your bandwidth usage would be less than 50kbps, which is much more possible in a 3G or even 2G connection than using 150 kbps is.
In both cases though, the key is your ping time. With talkatone, you cant select a different server. With voip.ms, I can make it connect to the New York server (newyork.voip.ms) and so I will have a lower ping time than some random server that I have no clue where it's located.
On wifi, you might not see a difference between the two. But while using cellular data, you definitely will.

Now boys and girls, tomorrow we will learn about the birds and the bees. Class dismissed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014