• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Got this deal in my e-mail today.

Available here: http://www.playon.tv/buy/?prmcd=winter13-2

I ran the 30 day trial of PlayOn and found it to be pretty good. Even streaming to two devices (wireless, by the way) I didn't experience any issues, although I must admit it was a limited test. Note also that the interface with the PlayStation is pretty horrible; the various "stations" look like folders on the device, which isn't exactly user friendly.

Either way, $60 for a lifetime subscription including their "DVR" type service seems pretty good for those looking to eliminate their cable bill.

Member Summary

PlayOn
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

SCAM COMPANY
DONT GET RIPPED OFF DONT GIVE MONEY TO "PLAYON"

I fell for one of their lifetime + free Roku for 49.99 deals about 4 months ago, thinking playon was some miracle to my lack of cable.

You need to run this through a computer at all times, even if streaming to another device. Also, the UI is spotty and its 98% the same as a Roku.

They did send the free Roku quickly so in the end I basically paid for the Roku and have playon for free, but if I had paid actual $ for it I would have been upset.

ETA: I see 0 purpose to the PlayLater thing. All it does is download content from Netflix or hulu that youd be able to watch whenever. I guess its useful for watching stuff on a plane?

I like it. I use it on the Roku. I did the 1 week free trial than opted for 15 bucks for 6 months. (not sure if they do that anymore)

I mostly use it for Youtube & watch full episodes of 20/20

When my 6month deal is up I will probably go for the 39 buck deal.... to me it's worth it for lifetime but the whole playlater stuff.....is anybody ever going to record internet stuff to play later?

This company has 9+ lives.

Want new features? This lifetime will be replaced with another lifetime. And so on. Shady as hell.

coolbreeze said:   This company has 9+ lives.

Want new features? This lifetime will be replaced with another lifetime. And so on. Shady as hell.

fully agree...useless if the PC needs to be kept running continuously to play this (like the old magicjack). Playon..a suggestion, you should start the Roku App instead and make all live USA TV channels available in HD (1080i at least) at a fraction of the cost of cable / satellite companies. Then you will see business in huge numbers !

OliverQuackenbush said:   SCAM COMPANY
DONT GET RIPPED OFF DONT GIVE MONEY TO "PLAYON"

Thanks for your insightful post. However, what's the scam?

I've been using it for two years without any problems.

They sold me a lifetime license for their software, then stopped supporting it unless I gave them more money.

A few years back, ~2009 they sold lifetime versions with free upgrades, then they renamed it Playon Basic and charged for the new version that was introduced as Playon. More or less the same thing with a few more bells and whistles.

It was a good product at the time because it allowed you to view Hulu, Youtube, all the Broadcast network content etc on your PS-3 or X-Box before it was supported in the game box firmware. Now there is not much use for those features since the platforms have all integrated the support into their firmware.

Also, when they sold those lifetime versions back then they offered a year of the new premium for $5, vs $30 or so for the new lifetime. I decided to go with the $5 and see how much I used it. Then when the year expired I tried to go back to the new "basic" from my previous lifetime and it was no longer working. After contacting support, they said I had "traded in" my lifetime for the discount on the new premium subscription. It took a week of harsh emails from me to get my basic subscription back.

Agree with all of the above. I bought the lifetime too. Totally meaningless to them. They just change the name slightly and drop support of the old one. They're never getting another penny from me.

Get Plex for free instead....Daily Show and Colbert Report channels play seamlessly/better than they do on PlayOn

The current license is very stable - works great on Roku boxes. The "scripts" that allow you to add-on user generated channels are very helpful. I jumped on the $80 license with the Roku LT - I couldn't be happier.

Realistically - my expectations are that they will ask for me to upgrade within 1-2 yrs - but by using PlayOn I am saving $10 a month by not having to pay for HuluPlus - plus the cable savings.R

Same here, they sold me a lifetime license for their software, but all the cool scripts I was interested on just disappeared and got embedded into the next version. I felt robbed. Fool me once, shame on you.

I installed the trial on my brand new Win 8 x64 PC which is pretty well equipped 32 GB RAM & Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core. It constantly runs a 50% CPU. Even if I am not streaming to it. Is anyone else had this experience and found a way to mitigate it?

I've been running Playon for years. It's great with the understanding that your computer needs to be on all the time. Mine is always on so it is there when I need it. I also haven't seen any random CPU processes. I am running it on a Windows 8 Pro box that I had upgraded from 7 and Vista. Same lifetime license no extra charges. Playlater offers a solution for a different problem. I use it here and there.

This is a great deal for both. If you have a smartphone, tablet or dlna device as well as a computer that stays on it is worth the money.

No issue with the on all the time PC. What O/S are you running (x86 or x64)? Task Manager on my system indicates Playon is a 32-bit process. After a search for help on the Playon CPU issue but haven't found anyone with the same experience except anecdotally that some people feel it takes a really powerful rig to run this software. Plex on the other hand consumes under 10 percent on a regular basis.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014