Nexus 4 back in stock! bumper too!

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Text Only
bksavings said:   Seems like the bumpers are out of stock now.
Not a bad thing to be honest. The bumper makes the phone feel a bit chunky (raised bevels) and those raised edges are the only scratch protection to the front/rear. The fact that the headphone port of the bumper prevents my headphones from inserting all the way makes me not enjoy spending $20 on it (it's cut large, but not large enough for my Shures).

This phone is so awesome, glad I got the chance to purchase one. OP, thanks for the heads up!

Has anyone returned an unopened (Nexus) box without getting charged the 15% restocking fee? I'm asking because Google Play's return policy contradicts itself.

"Don't open the package (brown shipping box). There is a restocking fee of 15% if package is opened; no restocking fee for unopened packages."

"We may waive the fee for an unopened box (Nexus box) in perfect condition."

Did they charge the restocking fee for your unopened return?

Dumb questions FWers. Those who got the phone and have very low data usage away from WiFi, what plans are you picking?
In my case, for the most part the phone will be in the vicinity of WiFi most of the time, and all the data intensive usage will happen on wifi. I am looking for $10 or so plan per month. Suggestions?

Thanks

Do you need minutes / texts?

eviljim said:   Do you need minutes / texts?

Very limited, and if needed to drop them, I would.

What do you want the phone for? Sounds like you want to use WiFi at home/work/school and have little need for calls/data elsewhere.

You might be better off with a 7" tablet and a cheap prepaid cell phone. Put $100 on it with T-Mobile and it's good for a year.

If you need mobile data, you could get a nexus 7 and pay AT&T $15/month for their 250MB plan for when you're away from the WiFi.

qube said:   If you have sensitive information, why are you using an iOS or Android device? Neither are US Government approved even in the stock state. They either use Blackberry or their own custom Android.

Most governmental agencies have or are in the works of switching to iPhone 5.

albanach said:   What do you want the phone for? Sounds like you want to use WiFi at home/work/school and have little need for calls/data elsewhere.

You might be better off with a 7" tablet and a cheap prepaid cell phone. Put $100 on it with T-Mobile and it's good for a year.

If you need mobile data, you could get a nexus 7 and pay AT&T $15/month for their 250MB plan for when you're away from the WiFi.

You guys are spot on. I have little use for data and calls outside of the Wifi, but I need it. I thought about the tablet + phone combo before, but one device is more practical.

I found these guys (ptel) and they seem like the best option for occasional use:
http://www.platinumtel.com/

The sim is mini sim (2ff), so I suspect I would need to cut it.

AlexRuiz said:   albanach said:   What do you want the phone for? Sounds like you want to use WiFi at home/work/school and have little need for calls/data elsewhere.

You guys are spot on. I have little use for data and calls outside of the Wifi, but I need it. I thought about the tablet + phone combo before, but one device is more practical.

I found these guys (ptel) and they seem like the best option for occasional use:
http://www.platinumtel.com/

The sim is mini sim (2ff), so I suspect I would need to cut it.

I'm still using my H2O minute pay-as-you-go account. 5 cents a minute/5 cents a text/30 cents a mb and you either use or you loaded $ expires at a rate of $10/month during whatever period that dollar amount is good for. They're At&t towers.

I also used the codes from "a slippery deal site" to buy a $50 top-up for platinum tel and get the SIM for $30. I'm going to port my current number to google voice and then start to try out their service with a new number. They'll be good for 5 cents a min/2 cents a text/10 cents a mb but they're Tmobile towers.

It wasn't that hard to trim the SIMs with scissors after I'd found and printed out a template online. You just want to make sure you write down the number first (if you don't have the full sized card) because for some MVNOs like H2O that sim number determines your account number and pin (should you need to port away).

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   mailvips said:   I had compared SGS3 and N4 and though SGS3 has some advantages over N4 - SD Card, LTE, replaceable battery, the cost differential(new SGS3 was going for $550 + tax and N4 for $400 for 16 GB) is significant and as I personally don't need additional SD card space or blazing fast LTE as 85% of my time is in wifi area and as its not LTE the 3.5G data for 15% time will use up less battery, I should be OK. The savings will buy 4.5 months of data/voice/text. And allowing me to move away from at&t's bloated bill is priceless...

LTE often uses less battery than HSPA+.

Not that you're going to get good battery life with an N4 either way.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/13

It is nice to move from AT&T's bloated bills. That's one thing I really like about the N4.

You can use any ST refill card to add time. There are sites that offer refill cards more cheaply (useful for your next month), search FW for more info.

Thanks for debunking the myth (atleast it was a myth to me!) Same website reviewed N4 and below is where it stands from battery life perspective.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review/2

I also moved to Straight Talk from AT&T and in past week and a half I have not seen any difference in using voice or 3G (or actually HSPA+) data as using AT&T. As a side note I actually ported my phone number to Google Voice after I got a new number from ST. Even though that cost me one time $20, I will now not loose my mobile number and can later on move to other prepaid providers if required. The GV integration with N4 is simply superb and the porting and setup went very smoothly and was over in 24 hours (both Google and AT&T portions) with only 15 minutes of my time. As for the data speed, I did a speed test and it came back as 7 MBPS / 1 MBPS which is good for my usage. One thing that struck me was that when I looked at my phone's data usage, there was an threshold line for 2GB - dont know if that from ST or from N4.... ??

I ordered a case from Amazon and am thinking about the orb (its available now in Google Play). Back to saving money @happyscrappy, I will search FW and elsewhere to save money on prepaid.

HTH

The 2 GB is just an arbitrary line Android sticks in there.

I've seen some good HSPA+ speeds in NYC -- 24 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up on T-Mobile's $30 monthly4g plan.

If you want an inexpensive wireless charger, do a search for 5WC800 (right now I only see it in stock through eBay sales). It's only $15. It's listed as an iPhone charger, but just throw the iPhone case it comes with away.

In case anyone is tracking shipping times, I ordered the 16GB on the 6th. My estimated ship date was Feb 27th - three weeks, even thought he site said 1-2 when I ordered. I received my shipment notification email earlier today.

It looks like supply is finally catching up with demand. Or demand has dropped as folk begin to wait for whatever is to be announced in May.

preed4963 said:   FYI, Orb is now available @ Google Play...

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_4_Wireless_C...

How does this work?

Owners should charge it so it can then charge the phone wirelessly?

The charger is not wireless, it needs plugged in.

The connection between it and your Nexus4 is wireless. Effectively, it forms a stand for your phone, so you place your phone on it, and it starts charging. When you leave, or if the phone rings, you simply pick up the phone and walk away/answer the call, nothing to unplug.

So it's a base/cradle that charges the phone just as any cordless phone then?

Lvscott said:   bulletban said:   have a nexus 4 and HTC Droid DNA, once u used the DNA, u would not want to go back to anything that has no 1080P resolutions, its just much more sharper.

HTC Droid DNA is great except for the non-replaceable battery. Why waste making such a great phone only to have it eventually fail due to a non-replaceable battery?

It's like all these technology companies have one stupid guy they call into the meetings after the specs are decided and ask him to come up with one thing to ruin the phone, ie no camera, a camera without a flash, no SD slot, non-replaceable battery etc.

It's all done to achieve other goals in design both internal and external.
The vast majority of people do not keep phones until the battery eventually fails anyway (several years).

No microSD slot: that decision it to drive the masses to put more of their personal stuff/ content online.
Personally, that's one of the reason why I love the S III and will prob. be getting the S IV as well.

Richard,

Go buy the phone you love and stay away from a phone you dislike. Since the N4 is not your thing, do us a favor and start a new OP with the SIII. Thank you and best wishes.

Back to N4.

ja15 said:   Considering some negative comments, such as no MicroSD slot and non-replaceable battery, I tried to cancel my order, but Google Play said my order (16GB) has been shipped, too late to cancel, they suggested me put a note at door to refuse delivery, so the package will be returned back, and a refund will be issued. I have never done delivery refusal before, does anyone know if I will get a full refund or have to pay shipping cost? emailed Google Play about this question but have not got a reply yet. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

If refused, you should get 100% of your money back. Obviously this means unopened package (UPS/ FedEx won't accept a "refused" package for delivery if opened anyway).

fattywallace said:   Richard,

Go buy the phone you love and stay away from a phone you dislike. Since the N4 is not your thing, do us a favor and start a new OP with the SIII. Thank you and best wishes.

Back to N4.

Hi - I was responding to someone. What would be your response to him?

And is it so bad to have a different opinion?
It's like how people will only read/ watch/ listen to what comforts them in their own views. Then how does one expand his horizon?

And just for info, I have all the current top smartphones, all OEM and factory unlocked, including the N4. I don't like that it's thicker than my other phones.

One positive: direct and timely Android updates + Android pure/ undiluted experience.

The nexus 4 is thinner than the Note2 and one tenth of a milimeter thicker than a Droid Razr Maxx. It's also narrower than both.

Each to their own, but the dimensions are very very close. I think most people would have trouble discerning a tenth of a mm difference in thickness.

Back in stock.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014