• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is one of the highest rated, sub $100 burr coffee grinders available. Regular price is $90. By using code CASA30, you can pick it up for $52.07 with free 2 day shipping. That's an AWESOME price on this quality burr grinder. Tax may or may not apply in your state. Be sure to go through FW for 1% CashBack!

Amazon has a ton of reviews on this item (majority 4 and 5 stars) which you can read HERE.

Text

UPDATE, they've raised the price, but it's still a great deal at $55.99. If you want to pay a few dollars more for the brushed silver, it comes to $59.22

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Capresso Infinity
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
While the total cost for me is $62.99 after coupon CASA30AFF, the black grinder is not sold out. At least not right now.... (more)

g10ny (Feb. 21, 2013 @ 11:25p) |

Has anyone actually received one from this site? I kept getting an email that says shipping was delayed by a day, and th... (more)

imnotsanenow (Mar. 14, 2013 @ 12:34a) |

My order was also canceled.

They told me the item was listed in error.
Their systems indicated that they had stock of this... (more)

jcsoigne (Mar. 18, 2013 @ 4:18p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have a capresso burr grinder (different model) and while it does an excellent job with beans the static causes the grounds to stick to everything. Quite messy in the morning. Anyone have a suggestion to kill that cling?

awrini said:   I have a capresso burr grinder (different model) and while it does an excellent job with beans the static causes the grounds to stick to everything. Quite messy in the morning. Anyone have a suggestion to kill that cling?

I read to put a spoon or fork into the container as you pull it out. It discharges the static that builds up. I have an idea that I may try when I receive mine. I used to work with this girl who would put a safety pin near the bottom of a skirt that was prone to static. The static would make the skirt stick to her legs. She'd put the pin inside the skirt along the seam, one on each side. It really worked. I'm wondering if you could slide a large paper clip down the side of the container for a similar effect.

What makes a burr grinder better than a regular grinder?

better uniformly grind, not dependent on time... much better for french press?

Blade Coffee Grinders
A blade grinder like the Capresso Cool Grind uses high speed blades to grind coffee. Sounds easy enough, on to the next topic... Well, there is a bit more to it. It's true, a blade grinder works like a dry mix blender/food processor. It chops the coffee beans into little bits. Generally, the longer you grind, the smaller the bits get. The drawback to this is the generally part. You will always get a mix of fine and coarsely ground coffee, making the electric blade grinder primarily suited for drip coffee makers that use paper filters. If you want a coarse grind, you are generally going to grind between fifteen and twenty-five seconds. We recommend using the pulse action of the grinder rather than leaving it on the whole time. You can probably get Turkish grind out of this too, but you can forget about espresso, which is more demanding of a quality and consistent grind. You can even use blade grinders to process spices, but due to volatile oils in cinnamon and other spices, it is not recommended go from spices back to coffee. So, the whole process is pretty simple, just grind longer for finer granules. Some coffee drinkers even choose to use their blender, such as a Vitamix Professional Series, to grind, but this tends to overheat the ground coffee and damage the delicate aromas. In addition to simplicity, these blade grinders are very inexpensive, ranging anywhere from $20.00 to $30.00. These are also great for travel, such as in campers, because of their small size, but for the home, you should move on to the next category: burr grinders.

Burr Coffee Grinders
This is where we get into the real meat and potatoes of coffee grinding, where sophisticated equipment stands out above the toys. Burr grinders are based on 2 hard plates (usually metal) with cutting edges that rub together. One plate is connected to a motor that turns it, and the other remains in a fixed position. Settings on the grinder allow you to adjust the space between these plates, thus determining the size (or fineness) of the ground coffee. As a coffee bean passes between the plates, it is first broken into chunks, then ground coarsely, then finely (if applicable), and then expelled from the grinding chamber by sweeping arms that turn with the plate that spins. Burrs are sized by diameter (in millimeters); the larger they are, the more coffee that can pass through in a set amount of time. Before we get too far into this, I need to get a something out in the open: those boxy looking supermarket grinders in the coffee aisle are NOT burr grinders. These are more accurately called bulk grinders or mills. Great for drip, percolator, and sometimes French Press coffee; bad, bad, bad for espresso. The reason for this is in the grinding "burrs," which we are about to dive into. Household grinders carrying the name "disk-type" or "burr mill" are miniature versions of these with the same brewing restrictions.

Burrs produce a very nice, uniform grind. Excellent for coffee grinders as you'll extract the maximum amount of flavor. Blade grinders can leave some huge chunks along with the finer dust. Not uniform at all.

Big props for the static advice. I'll give it shot.

awrini said:   I have a capresso burr grinder (different model) and while it does an excellent job with beans the static causes the grounds to stick to everything. Quite messy in the morning. Anyone have a suggestion to kill that cling?

This won't help your problem because I had the same with the black grinder that is in the OP, model 560.01, $69 at Amazon right now but usually runs in the mid 80's.

A friend suggested exchanging it for the one in brushed silver (model 560.04) and because it was still within the return period I did. Voila - not a bit of static in sight. The ground beans drop to bottom of the cup just as if it were glass (the Bodum for example) but for less money.

I have no idea why the color would make any difference since it's still plastic but it does. They do charge more for the silver and substantially more for the stainless but it was worth it to me since I use it several times a day. It's quieter too and slightly heavier, but not twice as heavy as the Capresso specs indicate.

The silver has fluctuated in price at Amazon between $72 and $90 and is currently $83.60 FS. Not cheap but a fine conical grinder with no static cling.

Note that Amazon lumps all 3 Capresso Infinty grinder models into the same reviews.

MrWizzard said:   awrini said:   I have a capresso burr grinder (different model) and while it does an excellent job with beans the static causes the grounds to stick to everything. Quite messy in the morning. Anyone have a suggestion to kill that cling?

This won't help your problem because I had the same with the black grinder that is in the OP, model 560.01, $69 at Amazon right now but usually runs in the mid 80's.

A friend suggested exchanging it for the one in brushed silver (model 560.04) and because it was still within the return period I did. Voila - not a bit of static in sight. The ground beans drop to bottom of the cup just as if it were glass (the Bodum for example) but for less money.

I have no idea why the color would make any difference since it's still plastic but it does. They do charge more for the silver and substantially more for the stainless but it was worth it to me since I use it several times a day. It's quieter too and slightly heavier, but not twice as heavy as the Capresso specs indicate.

The silver has fluctuated in price at Amazon between $72 and $90 and is currently $83.60 FS. Not cheap but a fine conical grinder with no static cling.

Note that Amazon lumps all 3 Capresso Infinty grinder models into the same reviews.

If someone preferred the brushed silver over the black, casa carries that one as well and with the discount code it comes to $59.22. Text

I understand the technical difference between the grinder types. However, I'm skeptical as to the taste difference. Can those of you out there tell me they would definitely taste the difference in a blind taste test?

I've never heard about casa; are they safe?

MrWizzard said:   awrini said:   I have a capresso burr grinder (different model) and while it does an excellent job with beans the static causes the grounds to stick to everything. Quite messy in the morning. Anyone have a suggestion to kill that cling?

Based on my experiences with the black grinder, I'm gonna say the reason you didn't have static is because of 2 reason:

1. You got an brand new grinder. After cleaning my grinder, the static went a way for a while. I think the old grounds and oil sticking to things cause more static buildup....leading to...

2. Your beans aren't oily. I've used beans that look fairly dry and some dark roast beans that look oily as heck. The more oils you see, the more static you'll see.

So eventually, you'll start seeing static in your new machine. Just take it apart, use a brush to clean all the old beans out of the parts and viola. You're good to go for a while.

imnotsanenow said:   I understand the technical difference between the grinder types. However, I'm skeptical as to the taste difference. Can those of you out there tell me they would definitely taste the difference in a blind taste test?
The proper grind produces the required density so the water is uniformly forced through and results in the desired crema.

i'm sold. i'm in for 1.

imnotsanenow said:   I understand the technical difference between the grinder types. However, I'm skeptical as to the taste difference. Can those of you out there tell me they would definitely taste the difference in a blind taste test?

Easy to test yourself. Find a coffee you like, buy a half pound whole been and grind it with your blade grinder. Buy another half pound of the same coffee and grind it with one of the large grinding machine at the grocery store or wherever you buy your beans. Make coffee with both grinds and see if the burr ground one tastes better. If you have a starbucks in your area, they can do this for you.

To me coffee beans ground in my burr grinder versus my old blade grinder yield a much richer and stronger taste. I actually use a little less coffee making the same amount.

Three things that have made my morning coffee experience so much better. Filtered water, french press, freshly ground beans.

Yes, a good burr grinder makes a big difference. This model was already probably the best around the $90 price range, and is certainly the best for $50.

suezyque said:   Three things that have made my morning coffee experience so much better. Filtered water, french press, freshly ground beans.

Great points, I would add fresh roasted beans to this list. If you can find a small, local roaster (with a roasted on date, not put out on the shelf date) and use your beans within a week of roasting, it makes a world of difference.

blades heat the beans too, burrs keeps the process cooler...someone already roasted your beans so no need to heat them again. Capresso is a nice <$100 grinder, but if you're a seious coffee-jerk you'll be buying a better one after about a year.

i have this grinder and to minimize static you take a paper towel and wet it and then use the moist towel to remove the container full of grinds. not perfect, but helps.

OOS.

came back in for a little while at an increased pre-discount price of $79.99. I ordered the silver one at that point as it was $3-4 more.

ezwrighter said:   imnotsanenow said:   I understand the technical difference between the grinder types. However, I'm skeptical as to the taste difference. Can those of you out there tell me they would definitely taste the difference in a blind taste test?

Easy to test yourself. Find a coffee you like, buy a half pound whole been and grind it with your blade grinder. Buy another half pound of the same coffee and grind it with one of the large grinding machine at the grocery store or wherever you buy your beans. Make coffee with both grinds and see if the burr ground one tastes better. If you have a starbucks in your area, they can do this for you.

Just keep the time between grinding & brewing the same between each, if you're coming home from the store with it already ground. Not that their burr grinder won't win either way.

It doesn't get any better at this price, but keep in mind that this is in the end a disposable grinder. The bottom burrs cannot be replaced, so once they are worn out, you have to replace the whole unit. In the long run you may be better off with something slightly more expensive that could potentially last indefinitely with burr replacement.

Green all the same.

ETA: This grinder used to plummet in price all the time at Amazon. I see now this deal is over, but if you want to try to snag a cheap one, set up an alert at C^3.

I bought this grinder a few months ago at BB&B and have been very pleased with its performance. Great find OP.

For the best coffee experience, I've combined a Poppery II corn popper and roast my own mail-order green cofee beans; this grinder unit; and a simple French press. The most expensive (and important) piece for this is the grinder, and this one fits the bill for grinders <$150 (and yes you can spend a lot more for better quality as said well by TrentSteel).

Funny to see this thread, I was looking at a Capresso coffee machine a few hours a go with this grinder built in on clearance for $99...hmm

LOOPHOLE said:   Funny to see this thread, I was looking at a Capresso coffee machine a few hours a go with this grinder built in on clearance for $99...hmm

French press...........all the way!

Well, these re-appeared for a little bit, but it's sold out again.. rats!

imnotsanenow said:   Well, these re-appeared for a little bit, but it's sold out again.. rats!
While the total cost for me is $62.99 after coupon CASA30AFF, the black grinder is not sold out. At least not right now. Too bad the price crept up. Got mine for $70 at Scamazon last summer, it works well; now it rests a while until I finish a batch of ground Lavazza crema e aroma.

Moka pot for me, I'm too cheap for real espresso, and too lazy for Aeropress.

Has anyone actually received one from this site? I kept getting an email that says shipping was delayed by a day, and then they finally cancelled the order.

imnotsanenow said:   Has anyone actually received one from this site? I kept getting an email that says shipping was delayed by a day, and then they finally cancelled the order.

My order was also canceled.

They told me the item was listed in error.
Their systems indicated that they had stock of this item, however, their warehouse did not have this item available.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014