Get 80% Off Windows 8 Pro

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
link
Download from Windows.com and save $160!
To install Windows 8 Pro upgrade, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. If you would like to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro, click here

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

save a whole lot of money by not spending it at all on windows 8. enjoy the savings.

Repost. Was moved into Deal Discussions where 90% of people are missing it.

not bad at all....for those of us who aren't suckers into believing the tablets will replace PCs.

not bad at all....for those of us who aren't suckers into believing the tablets will replace PCs.

Advantages of LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition):

1. It's free.

2. You can install it on as many computers as you want to, more easily than installing Windows.

3. It provides most of the features of Windows, and many more.

4. It's higher quality and more resistant to malware.

5. You don't have to waste time on product keys, activation, etc.

6. You don't have to upgrade a previous version to qualify for the price. If your computer gets wiped out, or you make major changes to your PC hardware, such as new motherboard, new disk, etc., you can start over free without searching for the old versions of Windows that qualify you for the upgrades.

7. Even the most popular/needed apps are free on Linux, such as Open Office.

8. A lot of the best programmers hate Microsoft. When they release new apps, they often charge money for the Windows version and release the Linux version free, just to make people pay for using Windows. The main reason they hate Microsoft so much is that a lot of Microsoft features had bugs in them in the past that Microsoft took too many years to fix, making them seem disgustingly incompetent, from the point of view of programmers who were used to fixing such bugs in one day.

9 LMDE is easy to install. You can put it on a memory stick (flash drive) and install it whenever you want to, without nearly as much hassle and waste of time as installing Microsoft stuff.

There are of course also advantages of Windows over Linux, but not very many, and most of those advantages are gradually disappearing, as Linux keeps improving, getting more and more advanced, gradually leaving Windows behind.

I recently upgraded my 10-year-old's computer from Windows XP to LMDE, and he was thrilled with it. Of course that's not saying much, as he might have been equally thrilled upgrading to Windows 7 or Windows 8. It doesn't actually make all that much difference at that age, because they spend most of their time in an internet browser anyway, and can hardly tell the difference between one browser and another.

I've used a lot of versions of Linux. LMDE seems to be the best overall, especially if you're used to using Windows.

Linux has a bad reputation, as being harder to install and use than Windows. However, that was in the past. Reputations last a lot longer than what causes them. Linux keeps getting better, faster than Windows keeps getting better. I don't think it will be very many more years before Linux gets so far ahead of Windows that almost everyone will agree that it's clearly won the race.

On second thought deleted. Me joining is only making it worse.

Enough linux threadcrapping, guys.

If you don't want the item for sale, just close the thread and move on.

9000 said:   Advantages of LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition):

1. It's free.

2. You can install it on as many computers as you want to, more easily than installing Windows.

6. You don't have to upgrade a previous version to qualify for the price. If your computer gets wiped out, or you make major changes to your PC hardware, such as new motherboard, new disk, etc., you can start over free without searching for the old versions of Windows that qualify you for the upgrades.

8. A lot of the best programmers hate Microsoft. When they release new apps, they often charge money for the Windows version and release the Linux version free, just to make people pay for using Windows. The main reason they hate Microsoft so much is that a lot of Microsoft features had bugs in them in the past that Microsoft took too many years to fix, making them seem disgustingly incompetent, from the point of view of programmers who were used to fixing such bugs in one day.

9 LMDE is easy to install. You can put it on a memory stick (flash drive) and install it whenever you want to, without nearly as much hassle and waste of time as installing Microsoft stuff.

There are of course also advantages of Windows over Linux, but not very many, and most of those advantages are gradually disappearing, as Linux keeps improving, getting more and more advanced, gradually leaving Windows behind.

I recently upgraded my 10-year-old's computer from Windows XP to LMDE, and he was thrilled with it. Of course that's not saying much, as he might have been equally thrilled upgrading to Windows 7 or Windows 8. It doesn't actually make all that much difference at that age, because they spend most of their time in an internet browser anyway, and can hardly tell the difference between one browser and another.

I've used a lot of versions of Linux. LMDE seems to be the best overall, especially if you're used to using Windows.

Linux has a bad reputation, as being harder to install and use than Windows. However, that was in the past. Reputations last a lot longer than what causes them. Linux keeps getting better, faster than Windows keeps getting better. I don't think it will be very many more years before Linux gets so far ahead of Windows that almost everyone will agree that it's clearly won the race.

Hmm, I tried what you said but my screen went black and says Kernel Panic. Is there a number I can call for support?

Chiwawa626 said:   9000 said:   Advantages of LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition):

1. It's free.

Hmm, I tried what you said but my screen went black and says Kernel Panic. Is there a number I can call for support?

link or link and likely still come out ahead price wise.

No thanks, learned to not buy V 1.00. Will wait for SP1.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014