• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link
just purchased this telescope at WalMart after looking at the Celestron powerseeker 60AZ at discovery store. I checked Amazon and a few
others and this was my best price . There is also free store pick-up, which i used. Do not know how to post link, just put Celestron Powerseeker
70AZ , in the search and it should pull it up.I am still trying to learn how to post links. Any post link , for dummies, suggestions?

Walmart
See Walmart coupons that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Celestron 70AZ (10.68kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

you have been linkified oh jazzyline! This looks like a nice affordable Telescope. Doesn't seem to have any motors for tracking heavenly bodies, but maybe you can add this on. I don't know. Will wait to see what others say.

It looks like the WalMart version of this telescope comes with an extra eye-piece and a "red-dot view finder"

Amazonhas it for $39.99.

In this case you definitely get what you pay for. This is a basic 2.4" refractor with 0.965" eyepieces (vice 1.25" and 2.0" of higher-end scopes). This scope is a two-edged sword: It might be a good, inexpensive toy for a child who ultimately has no real interest in astronomy ... or this scope might, because of its low quality and inferior optics (hey, its cheap) inhibit a child who is fascinated by astronomy and is interested in making it his/her lifes work.

On a side not I just found one of these on my local CL for $25 ... "used once".

i got it for my grandbaby , she loves looking at the moon.Do you think this will be good for that? I looked up the celestron 60AZ at Amazon, and it was higher ,so i figured the
70AZ would be higher too. Would've saved me some bucks at Amazon....Aghhhhhh...

DUDSTER said:   In this case you definitely get what you pay for. This is a basic 2.4" refractor with 0.965" eyepieces (vice 1.25" and 2.0" of higher-end scopes). This scope is a two-edged sword: It might be a good, inexpensive toy for a child who ultimately has no real interest in astronomy ... or this scope might, because of its low quality and inferior optics (hey, its cheap) inhibit a child who is fascinated by astronomy and is interested in making it his/her lifes work.

On a side not I just found one of these on my local CL for $25 ... "used once".

While it is a basic scope it actually is a 2.75" refractor and DOES come with and uses 1.25" eyepieces and for the price just might be a little better than you are suggesting. I use mine mostly as a spotting scope next to my Meade ETX-105.

73.81 on Amazon + 10.00 shipping....

The optics in many of the 'toy' level telescopes are such that it may dissuade the budding astronomer rather than encourage them. You can peruse one of many reputable forums to get more insight. ( http://www.cloudynights.com for example).
You may be better off with a pair of decent binoculars, as their magnification, light gathering capability and optic quality may surpass that found in the beginner telescopes. A tripod adapter (and tripod, of course) will help, but may not be necessary. Cloud nights' forums also address binoculars.

Best of luck!

I had already read the reviews on the Celestron Powerseeker 70AZ, and they were 4 star rating +. There were a couple
of bad reviews, but they were about trying to put the telescope together. Majority of reviews were about extra pieces being
included, and how easy the set up was and installing on the ,included , tripod. I always like to read what other people who
have purchased a product ,have to say, and go from there. I was impressed with the reviews and yet i also know that if i find
this item to be unsatisfactory, after using it, i can take it back for a refund. I didn't see any reviews from a professional ,astronomer,
but i am sure that a professional, having been use to more advanced telescopes, would consider this , inferior....

jassyline369 said:   i got it for my grandbaby , she loves looking at the moon.Do you think this will be good for that? I looked up the celestron 60AZ at Amazon, and it was higher ,so i figured the

Whatever you do, never let her use it to look at the Sun. If she does, it could result in permanent eye damage.

tuckeg said:   jassyline369 said:   i got it for my grandbaby , she loves looking at the moon.Do you think this will be good for that? I looked up the celestron 60AZ at Amazon, and it was higher ,so i figured the

Whatever you do, never let her use it to look at the Sun. If she does, it could result in permanent eye damage.

This scope is very good for looking at the moon however it is best not to look during a full moon as the brightness effects the view (and your eyes). That is one reason why we use filters and a moon filter is definitely worth the few dollars it costs. Among other things you will also be able to see Jupiter and its moons.

Thanks for the advice, i really never would have thought about this. I will be sure to keep it in mind....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014