• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
WAHL HOME PRO $11.00 @ Walmart Link to HomePro

Originally $16.97 on clearance for $11.00 because the new model is this: ColorPro

The only difference is the guides are colored. I checked the Specs, Same power, same blades, same motor.

FYI I went to the store and they had the Home Pro still on the shelf, and I was able to get the online price via the manager.

Great Ratings on both products, and I used the Home Pro simple buzz cut, Just saved $100 bucks a year in hair cuts

Member Summary

Home Pro Complete Haircutting Kit
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I know this may sound like a joke but kingdoodler's method happens to be the exact same way I cut my hair and ensures mi... (more)

triamarker (May. 11, 2013 @ 6:12a) |

Great buy! I bought the same one 4-5 years back when I was almost balding. Been using it every 2-3 weeks since then to t... (more)

whadzinaname (May. 11, 2013 @ 9:07a) |

I only use a single mirror(and a hand mirror for the back.

A sheet laid down underneath your work area can also reduce me... (more)

skansiewicz (May. 11, 2013 @ 5:38p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Bowl not included....

I try avoid products with "pro" in the name, usually it stands for "extra amateur"

You really have to see the box. The Made in the USA product is really good. The Chinese made product isn't.

BeanTech said:   Bowl not included....[/

3 Years ago when I started cutting my own hair I was apprehensive. I have actually gotten pretty good at it. The trick is not to be too creative. I pretty much do a semi short military cut, that actually looks better than the barber I used to go to monthly. I can also cut every two weeks to always make it look nice. Don't knock it until you've given it it A shot. Two cuts A month at $20.00 A pop, for 3 years has saved me $1500.00. It also helps to have easy hair to cut. Mine's straight.

As a professional stylist, save your money for something better. These are good for about 4 haircuts then they become so dull that they are worthless. If you really want to do home hair cutting get yourself an Oster.

suezyque said:   As a professional stylist, save your money for something better. These are good for about 4 haircuts then they become so dull that they are worthless. If you really want to do home hair cutting get yourself an Oster.

Thanks. Can you recommend A good set or two moderately priced?

suezyque said:   As a professional stylist, save your money for something better. These are good for about 4 haircuts then they become so dull that they are worthless. If you really want to do home hair cutting get yourself an Oster.have you actually used this brand? thanks for mentioning the name oster. i'll keep that in mind for when i see one at a low price .

kingdoodler said:   suezyque said:   As a professional stylist, save your money for something better. These are good for about 4 haircuts then they become so dull that they are worthless. If you really want to do home hair cutting get yourself an Oster.

Thanks. Can you recommend A good set or two moderately priced?

link

Try this one. This is used by barbers and I bought it for that reason. It works great, is not too loud and is sturdy as hell. It pays for itself after like 2-3 haircuts.

kingdoodler said:   BeanTech said:   Bowl not included....[/

3 Years ago when I started cutting my own hair I was apprehensive. I have actually gotten pretty good at it. The trick is not to be too creative. I pretty much do a semi short military cut, that actually looks better than the barber I used to go to monthly. I can also cut every two weeks to always make it look nice. Don't knock it until you've given it it A shot. Two cuts A month at $20.00 A pop, for 3 years has saved me $1500.00. It also helps to have easy hair to cut. Mine's straight.

If this is what you use it for I was going to recommend you get one where the handle is a vacuum, like this one. That is the model I bought at Big Lots for $20 something like 5 years ago. One of the best purchases I ever made. Clean up is supper easy, you just have to take a shower and not do anything with the sink or floor.

The problem is apparently they not only don't make that model, no one else makes anything like it. It's kind of baffling to me. So keep and eye out, and if anyone ever makes something similar I would recommend getting it.

I have used many clippers in my 29 years as a stylist. Oster by far is your best bet for a reasonably priced clipper. You may spend $100 or more, but you are getting quality that will last for many many years to come. Most people have a Sally Beauty nearby, or just order online. Text

I bought this exact kit about 8 months ago. Used it 3 times now and it works great. Just keep them maintained with oil and clean. Remember my mother using this brand when I was a kid it still works 30 years later.

While Oster is a better clipper, the Wahl will do fine for monthly home use. I get at least 3-4 years of once a month cutting out of a Wahl. Just remember to oil them after every use (or everyother). For the price, they're fine. If you're using them to cut hair every day, maybe then get an oster... I think my current Wahl is 4 years old, the #1 guide finally is starting to break. I bought a replacement on Amazon for under 2 bucks....

suezyque said:   As a professional stylist, save your money for something better. These are good for about 4 haircuts then they become so dull that they are worthless. If you really want to do home hair cutting get yourself an Oster.

while i agree that Oster is better than Wahl you are greatly exaggerating. while they may not be suitable for a pro, someone cutting their own hair every two weeks would be using them less in a year than a pro would in a week. my last Wahl clippers lasted for three and a half years. i replaced them with the Wahl Lithium Ion Cordless. i then picked up some Oster ones for a great price at a beauty supply place that was going out of business. i use the Wahl ones more as not having a cord they are easier to maneuver.

With all of budget clippers, I find that using oil regularly makes an enormous difference. The better ones seem to run well even if neglected, but these cheaper ones must be cared for properly.

At one time Wahl was the best. Thats when the products were made in America. I still have and use my u.s.a built one and its over 20 years old. What a shame.

zacksmith said:   At one time Wahl was the best. Thats when the products were made in America. I still have and use my u.s.a built one and its over 20 years old. What a shame.

Wahl is still made in America

Mine's lasted 4+ years of home use as well - probably about 15-20 cuts and I always put a couple drops of oil right before use. No other maintenance other than initial adjustment.

noapathy said:   suezyque said:   As a professional stylist, save your money for something better. These are good for about 4 haircuts then they become so dull that they are worthless. If you really want to do home hair cutting get yourself an Oster.

Mine's lasted 4+ years of home use as well - probably about 15-20 cuts and I always put a couple drops of oil right before use. No other maintenance other than initial adjustment.

After 3 years mine is not cutting like it used to. I get alot of strays after a cut. I guess I could buy A new blade for it but if thats not the problem I would be wasting money. I think I will invest in A upgraded clipper and guards. I am sure it will pay off for me.

Been using the Wahl Sr. clipper since 2001. Still running like a champ with no adjustment. Only maintenance was 7 drops of oil on the sliding surfaces after each use. That and brushing off excess hair on the clipper.

I went to WalMart today and they refused to pricematch the online price!
I bought anyway at $16.97 since there's hardly any difference to the new version.
Box was printed 2012 so it's not that old a model

Interestingly Amazon version of this is made in the USA
But the WalMart one is made in China per the box, wonder if there's that much difference?

Edit: I bought the newer made in USA model from Amazon: WAHL Corded Color Pro 20-Piece Color Coded Haircut Kit, Model 79300-400
Since when you take into tax it's only $2 more, I will report back if there's a worthwhile difference in the USA made model.

Since I carefully align the blades and oil them, it may not make that much diff!

Cheers~

ps. I cut my hair with it today, took around 10 minutes. I used the 1" gaurd and it came out fine...Which was pretty easy since I had practically a full blow mullet going on LOL

UPDATE: Got the newer model 79300-400 from Amazon yesterday. It's worse than the cheap one. Even though it's made in the USA vs China for the cheapy.
Plastic cover rattles, it's bigger and no advantage over the cheap one. So I'm returning both and getting the professional Wahl Professional 8355. I would have been happy with the original one had I been able to get it for $11. But that's not to be!

I'm still trying to understand how you cut your hair yourself without making a complete mess...of your head and the bathroom/kitchen/wherever.
I use a trimmer to clean up my neck and sideburns but the whole head? No.

1. Get Totally Naked

2. Set Up At Least 2 Mirrors Front And Back

3. Just Start Slowly, And Go In Stages ...Top Of Head..Longest Say a 7, Then Sides And Back..A little Shorter Maybe A 5, Around Your Ears..Use The Guides, And Do Your Neck last With Maybe A 2 Guide. Then Trim The Neck Neatly With No Guides. This Gives me A Longer Neat Military Style Cut. Just Remember Start Out With The Longer Guides, You Can Always Cut Shorter.

I've been using this hair-cutter for about 3 years, and I don't notice any signs of dullness.
It's good stuff.

been using a Flowbee for 10 years, love the Flowbee.
But I do use something like this also on the bottom back area and on sides.

Good product that i have and using it but i just prefer branded one. anyway nice deal.

kingdoodler said:   1. Get Totally Naked

3. Just Start Slowly, And Go In Stages ...Top Of Head..Longest Say a 7, Then Sides And Back..A little Shorter Maybe A 5, Around Your Ears..Use The Guides, And Do Your Neck last With Maybe A 2 Guide. Then Trim The Neck Neatly With No Guides. This Gives me A Longer Neat Military Style Cut. Just Remember Start Out With The Longer Guides, You Can Always Cut Shorter.
I know this may sound like a joke but kingdoodler's method happens to be the exact same way I cut my hair and ensures minimum amount of cleanup. What I would add to this is to do this inside the shower. That way your hair is easily contained in one area and easy to sweep up when done. All the super fine bits of hair can just be washed down the drain when you take your shower immediately after (remember to unplug the clipper first!). Fast, efficient, clean method!

By the way, the price on this is still the same, deal still good.

Great buy! I bought the same one 4-5 years back when I was almost balding. Been using it every 2-3 weeks since then to trim my head using 1-2 size clippers and it still works perfectly. The box is flimsy and broken, but I don't find anything wrong with the device and the blades.

I've been cutting my kids' hair with it as well for he past 3 years. The amount of money I saved is sick.

triamarker said:   kingdoodler said:   1. Get Totally Naked

I know this may sound like a joke but kingdoodler's method happens to be the exact same way I cut my hair and ensures minimum amount of cleanup. What I would add to this is to do this inside the shower. That way your hair is easily contained in one area and easy to sweep up when done. All the super fine bits of hair can just be washed down the drain when you take your shower immediately after (remember to unplug the clipper first!). Fast, efficient, clean method!

By the way, the price on this is still the same, deal still good.

I only use a single mirror(and a hand mirror for the back.

A sheet laid down underneath your work area can also reduce mess.

Additionally, with every 14-21 day cuts my Wahl has lasted over 3 years and is still going strong with regular cleaning and oiling.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014