Red Box Video Streaming Beta now Active

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Individuals who preregistered for the beta should check their email for there access code. If not go here and register https://www.redboxinstant.com/rbgatekeeper/

Member Summary

Redbox Steaming
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Decided to try it out since the 4 free codes makes the cost only $3.20 per month. The problem I see is that the stream ... (more)

critter017 (Feb. 14, 2013 @ 6:12a) |

i don't know what "droping" is

skh12 (Feb. 14, 2013 @ 8:05a) |

it's beta, so don't expect perfection, you whiners do understand what beta means don't you?

skh12 (Feb. 14, 2013 @ 8:10a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

After Free trial, it will cost $8 per month which is competitive with Hulu, Netflix and Amazon. I really wish Redbox would charge $1 per movie download, and no monthly fee.

Just signed up for the first time and immediately got one month free trial offer

GeorgeT said:   After Free trial, it will cost $8 per month which is competitive with Hulu and Amazon. I really wish Redbox would charge $1 per movie download, and no monthly fee.
Agreed. They do need to improve the selection of online streaming videos, though. At the moment, you get 4 free Redbox rentals at the kiosks a month---that's like $4. So the online streaming only costs you $4/month.
As a result, the streaming contents are worse than both Netflix and Amazon Prime. To me personally, it's difficult to find 4 streaming videos a month that I actually would want to watch there.
In terms of streaming, I think Netflix has the greatest selection of domestic and foreign movies/TV included in the plan with Amazon a close second. Hulu has the greatest selection of Anime and some interesting TV series.
Also, Hulu is mostly free on the PC at the moment. I suspect this could change in the future so you may want to grab it while you can.

Can we use Roku?

I already had a month free from BzzAgent. My opinion:

Best part of their subscription plan - the 4 credits for the Redbox kiosks (it's worth over half of the subscription fee, although there are almost always ways to get free Redbox rentals)
Netflix is better. More variety and all the streaming options are free (some of the redboxinstant options are "rentals" - much like Blockbuster online)

Last I checked there was no console or additional device availability for an app.

Where can I find a list of shows available on Redbox Streaming? Do they carry Discovery programming?

Also, will this play on Wii?

I signed up the other day and promptly cancelled... The site was poorly done, and confusing with all of their different pricing strategies. The movie selection was paltry at best.

Looks like you can be a member of like 5-10 different streaming services these days with no guarantees that what you want to watch will be on any of them. If there is a specific title you want to see, you are likely out of luck and it would be difficult to locate which service has it without manually checking each one. Netflix is clearly in a class by itself but even they are ho hum at best offering mostly moldy oldies in the B grade.

Are the kiosk rentals valid online, or are they codes they enter in the kiosk? I never rent at a kiosk without first reserving online.

Streaming selection sucks. -and that's being generous
There were a few older movies, but mostly B movies and direct-to-video junk. ("B" being generous)

What I also found with the 4 credits was Redbox reducing your available selections at kiosks.
I know this, because DVD titles readily available to reserve as a "normal" customer were not shown as available when I filtered my Redboxinstant to show kiosks.
No matter how hard I tried or searched, the selection I wanted wouldn't show up at the kiosk.
Lo and behold, not signed in to redboxinstant, those movies were ready to reserve at multiple kiosks near me.
From the pattern, it was mostly DVD vs. Blu-Ray selection. It would show the Blu-Ray available and the DVD not.
(even though both were available via regular reservation)

Redbox streaming sucks! I've had it almost a month and their video selection is bad. What movies I could stream took way too much time to load and the audio was not linked properly with the video. Several times the video sped up but the audio stayed the same. I had to pause the movie to let the audio catch up. My 2 cents.

after use the 4 free credit for kiosk rental, i will cancel my subscription.

Bizatch said:   Where can I find a list of shows available on Redbox Streaming? Do they carry Discovery programming?

Also, will this play on Wii?

All I can find are 36 listed under "subscription".
Devil Inside, Commedy Roundtable, Thor, Transformers Dark of the Moon, "What's the story?" Morning Glory,
Rango, Paranormal Activities 3, The Lincoln Lawyer, Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol,
The Expandables, Winter's Bone, Paranormal Activites 2, True Grit, Cat Woman,
Charlie's Angels Full Throttle, Windtalker, Vanilla Sky, Swordfish, Snatch, Charlie's Angels,
Muppets from Space, Three Kings, Big Daddy, Your've Got Mail, Red Corner, The American President,
Searching for Bobby Fischer, Rock a Doodle, Boyz N The Hood, Flatliners, Roxanne,
Summer Rental HD, St. Elmo's Fire, Risky Business, Flash Dance, WarGames

Seems like you can only use computer to watch.

Never mind, the 36 I listed are from their "top subscription". There are more movies but the selection isn't great.

But their movies are so limited. I wish they have more selections.

Not ready for primetime. Poor streaming selection. Streaming doesn't work half the time. Redbox Instant site didn't work with kiosk. Was told by customer service to use Redbox.com. Kiosk broken. I have had to contact customer support six times for credits to be replaced. Not good at all. Get the four free movies and get out.

Thanks OP!

Thanks OP.

I gave my codes away, and until they have it on my tv apps or Bluray player apps, the service is of no interest to me. Amazon prime for $39 a year is a far better value for me. It will now be far tougher to get new releases from the machines, with 4 codes for each person floating around, good luck on that.

Streaming choices are weak, at best. I would call them b-grade , AT BEST. After one day I changed my membership to Blu Ray thinking it was free, but they charged me $9 and wouldn't undo it. So I ended up renting 3 Blu-rays at the kiosk; plus one DVD.

Using credits at the kiosk is really easy. Simply pick your selections at the kiosk, then at the checkout page select "Use Credits", which will prompt you to swipe your linked credit card, and the credits that are available will be applied automatically.

Needless to say, I cancelled before my first month ended because the streaming was worthless to me; no TiVo support and crappy selection. I will continue to rent al la carte at $1.50 per Blu ray.

LORENW said:   I gave my codes away, and until they have it on my tv apps or Bluray player apps, the service is of no interest to me. Amazon prime for $39 a year is a far better value for me. It will now be far tougher to get new releases from the machines, with 4 codes for each person floating around, good luck on that.

How do you get Amazon Prime for $39?

How do you get Amazon Prime for $39?
If you are a student with a .edu email address, you can get it.

Thought the discounted Prime didn't include streaming?

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   Thought the discounted Prime didn't include streaming? Yes it does include streaming videos, in the $39 student discounted membership. It was on a recent deal on FW as well.

ZombieHunter said:   I signed up the other day and promptly cancelled... The site was poorly done, and confusing with all of their different pricing strategies. The movie selection was paltry at best.Signed up last January, also canceled. Poor selection.

I didn't even bother. Titles aren't that great sounding.

Thought the discounted Prime didn't include streaming?

Free student Prime didn't include streaming, discounted $39 student Prime does include streaming.

As above, lame. Cancelled. No improvements during the first month of service- no Roku access, terrible movie selection (all available, AFAIK on Netflix and/or Amazon Instant Video).

As others noted, I got it a week or so ago. I already cancelled it. They should of waited to roll it out until they had a better lineup of movies. There are NO tv shows streaming... and they do limit you as to what you can get from the Redbox via your fee monthly vouchers...too bad. I completed the survey that I got via e-mail when I cancelled noting that they needed apps on game consoles and/or at the very least FiOS cable boxes. Its powered by Verizon so you would think they would have that to begin with, but they do not. Too bad as it could have been nice...after all, it is a beta so maybe things will change.

Are there any streaming services that work outside the U.S.?

pisistratus said:   Are there any streaming services that work outside the U.S.?
Depends on where outside the US ... Netflix is available in various countries, but they are country specific variations.

You can also use various VPN systems such as hidemyass.com ...

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   Looks like you can be a member of like 5-10 different streaming services these days with no guarantees that what you want to watch will be on any of them. If there is a specific title you want to see, you are likely out of luck and it would be difficult to locate which service has it without manually checking each one. Netflix is clearly in a class by itself but even they are ho hum at best offering mostly moldy oldies in the B grade.

You don't have to manually check each one. You can try canistream.it

scott78945 said:   As others noted, I got it a week or so ago. I already cancelled it. They should of waited to roll it out until they had a better lineup of movies. There are NO tv shows streaming... and they do limit you as to what you can get from the Redbox via your fee monthly vouchers...too bad. I completed the survey that I got via e-mail when I cancelled noting that they needed apps on game consoles and/or at the very least FiOS cable boxes. Its powered by Verizon so you would think they would have that to begin with, but they do not. Too bad as it could have been nice...after all, it is a beta so maybe things will change.

The COE of Redbox came out a week or two ago and said that they have no interest to go after TV shows at either their kiosk or streaming. He said they we're founded on movies and they are going to rent movies only. Sounds kind of shortside thinking to me but it's his company.

Instant selection is terrible. Too bad, because once they can compete with Netflix + the free kiosk rentals, this will be a hot deal. But I will likely cancel after this trial.

116sloppyjoe116 said:   Instant selection is terrible. Too bad, because once they can compete with Netflix + the free kiosk rentals, this will be a hot deal. But I will likely cancel after this trial.Sounds a lot like the idea Blockbuster had, how did that one work out ?

Cancelled before the month was over. Selection is not worth the price.

cerumens said:   Cancelled before the month was over. Selection is not worth the price.

Me too, didn't even bother with the 4 free rentals as that seemed Limited Too.

breinig said:   scott78945 said:   As others noted, I got it a week or so ago. I already cancelled it. They should of waited to roll it out until they had a better lineup of movies. There are NO tv shows streaming... and they do limit you as to what you can get from the Redbox via your fee monthly vouchers...too bad. I completed the survey that I got via e-mail when I cancelled noting that they needed apps on game consoles and/or at the very least FiOS cable boxes. Its powered by Verizon so you would think they would have that to begin with, but they do not. Too bad as it could have been nice...after all, it is a beta so maybe things will change.

The COE of Redbox came out a week or two ago and said that they have no interest to go after TV shows at either their kiosk or streaming. He said they we're founded on movies and they are going to rent movies only. Sounds kind of shortside thinking to me but it's his company.

The only reason I pay for Netflix streaming is to get the TV shows. I love being able to stream the Brit TV shows like "IT Crowd", "Peep Show" etc. It's a bargain for the amount of material I get each month. I buy a lot of movies on Blu-ray for the superior video and audio quality but have found I am fine just streaming most TV shows.

If they avoid TV shows I can't even see bothering to try them.

Skipping 12 Messages...
it's beta, so don't expect perfection, you whiners do understand what beta means don't you?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.