Red Box Video Streaming Beta now Active

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
bosbeemer said:

You don't have to manually check each one. You can try canistream.it

THANKS for the heads up. Didn't know about them.

I can't believe anything could be worse than Netflix. Our future is bleak.

Thanks, everyone for your advice.

Not only they don't have good selection. I just tried my android tablets and phones, and it doesn't let me open the app, because they are rooted. That is the same blockage that TimeWarnerCable TV app has. I'm droping TimeWarner and as soon as I get my 4 rentals, I'm droping Redbox streaming too.

sixt7gt350 said:   Streaming selection sucks. -and that's being generous
There were a few older movies, but mostly B movies and direct-to-video junk. ("B" being generous)

What I also found with the 4 credits was Redbox reducing your available selections at kiosks.
I know this, because DVD titles readily available to reserve as a "normal" customer were not shown as available when I filtered my Redboxinstant to show kiosks.
No matter how hard I tried or searched, the selection I wanted wouldn't show up at the kiosk.
Lo and behold, not signed in to redboxinstant, those movies were ready to reserve at multiple kiosks near me.
From the pattern, it was mostly DVD vs. Blu-Ray selection. It would show the Blu-Ray available and the DVD not.
(even though both were available via regular reservation)

Thanks for details. This is so helpful and save time for me and other. RB seems to have issue here.

Dropping Redbox after free trial.. Shorting Coinstar..

Just joining in. blows chucks. Kids wanted to watch hotel Transylvania. I was blown away to see it on redboxinstant already.. it was 16 bucks! You had to buy the digital download. Got it from Amazon instant video for 4 bucks (24 hour rental).

If I wanted to pay that kind of money I'd buy the movie from Amazon and use prime to get it shipped for free.

XBox streaming now available to select users.

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   Looks like you can be a member of like 5-10 different streaming services these days with no guarantees that what you want to watch will be on any of them. If there is a specific title you want to see, you are likely out of luck and it would be difficult to locate which service has it without manually checking each one. Netflix is clearly in a class by itself but even they are ho hum at best offering mostly moldy oldies in the B grade.

The only good streaming service was Zediva, but Hollywood shut them down...

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/10/streaming-movie-service...

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/03/zediva-copyright/

http://gigaom.com/2012/03/19/zediva-liquidation-assets/

soxfan2004 said:   XBox streaming now available to select users.

you can actually use the oontact us feature on at the bottom of the Redbox instant page, and they'll send you a code... I had to do that last week ...the streaming on the pc was just horrible

Decided to try it out since the 4 free codes makes the cost only $3.20 per month. The problem I see is that the stream pauses constantly even though I have a cable modem with a download speed of 10mps. If ythey don't improve it or at least increase the buffer size, then I will cancel after the free month. It seems like services using Microsoft Silverlight are almost worthless unless they allow more adjustments to the stream by the user.

i don't know what "droping" is
ElGuache said:   Not only they don't have good selection. I just tried my android tablets and phones, and it doesn't let me open the app, because they are rooted. That is the same blockage that TimeWarnerCable TV app has. I'm droping TimeWarner and as soon as I get my 4 rentals, I'm droping Redbox streaming too.

it's beta, so don't expect perfection, you whiners do understand what beta means don't you?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.