Disclaimer

manual welding helmet Home Depot
Disclaimer
I was in the Clay NY Home Depot store today when I saw these

Lincoln KH605
Auto darkening welding helmet $45.00 Was $119

Lincoln
Manual welding helmet $10 Was $22

I am not a fan of the auto darkening helmets (fraction of a second wears on your eyes if you are welding all day), but I'm sure someone would appreciate it. The clearance price is close to what you would spend on a A/D Harbor Freight helmet.

YMMV with Home Depot clearance, but I did see the auto darkening one on clearance at the Dewitt NY store some time ago, but don't recall the price

Home Depot
See Home Depot promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Lincoln KH605
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks, will check it out. I close my eyes before starting the arc. At least if I don't forget about it.

b1kerjake said:   
I am not a fan of the auto darkening helmets (fraction of a second wears on your eyes if you are welding all day), but I'm sure someone would appreciate it. The clearance price is close to what you would spend on a A/D Harbor Freight helmet.

The IR blocking part of the lens is not the same as the part that darkens, at least in every helmet I've seen. I took a welding class with a HF A/D helmet and welded for 3 hours at a time, twice a week, for a few months and had no issues. Now using a nicer Lincoln A/D helmet and like it a lot.

I find the light soothing.

saltoricco said:   Thanks, will check it out. I close my eyes before starting the arc. At least if I don't forget about it.

Your eyelids are NOT protecting you from permanent eye damage.

Can you post the SKU... its hard to make out from the photo looks like 773-322 to me...

Can you post the SKU... its hard to make out from the photo looks like 773-322 to me...

I think 796-322, I did not actually buy it so I am not certain

labboypro said:   saltoricco said:   Thanks, will check it out. I close my eyes before starting the arc. At least if I don't forget about it.

Your eyelids are NOT protecting you from permanent eye damage.

It is my understanding that (like Fangle1948 tried to say) the part that blocks the damaging IR/UV rays is passive and on all the time. Even if the lens never darkens you are protected from arc eye/welder's flash. The auto-darkening is for visible rays, so that you can see while you work and reduce normal eye fatigue. Eyelids would help bridge the gap in the auto-darkening reaction time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welding_helmet
Wikipedia said: In the United States, the industry standard for welding helmets is ANSI Z87.1 which specifies performance of a wide variety of eye protection devices. The standard requires that auto-darkening helmets provide full protection against both UV and IR even when they are not in the darkened state. The standard is voluntary, so buyers should confirm that the helmet is ANSI Z87.1 compliant (indicated by appropriate labeling).

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/welding-gear/helm...
I can't find any specifications for the KH605 to confirm. Every model on their site does meet ANSI Z87.1.

This discussion caused me to check...my Miller 251 292 meets ANSI Z87.1.

Regular prices in Federal Way Washington still.

Found one at my local Home Depot in Evanston, IL! The SKU is 796-322

Don't forget to use the Home Depot Inventory Checker to see if anything comes up in your area.

Good looking out OP!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014