• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Nest Learning Wifi Thermostat w/ Smartphone App @ Lowe's - $198 or $249

Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Lowe's
Need a Lowe's coupon that earns 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Nest Learning Wifi Thermostat w/ Smartphone App
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Where did you get the $50 bb coupons?

jslimdc33 (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 8:35p) |

No, you can turn off the auto-away feature if you would like instead of moving your thermostat.

HappyScrappyHeroPup (Feb. 20, 2013 @ 1:28p) |

1st generation is $168.30 at Lowes in Wilkes Barre, Pa. YMMV.

jma9 (Mar. 19, 2013 @ 4:48p) |

Bagofchips said:   These things are at least $100 overpriced. Hit it out of the park
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is their everyday price.

Edit: and can be found new for less at Amazon.

TheGMan said:   This is their everyday price.

Edit: and can be found new for less at Amazon.

Link? I see the 1st gen for $239 and the 2nd for $249.

Price for first gen is good, but second gen price is normal

Good price on the Gen 1 - Amazon has it for $239

Recently bought a gen 2 - have had it for about a month. Honestly, doesn't really blow me away in terms of functionality. As a working schlub with a set schedule (wake up, leave, come home and go to bed) at roughly the same time everyday, the "learn your lifestyle" thing doesn't really do much for me.

Having said that, it's totally worth it being able to change the temperature from anywhere (comfort of bed, on the road, home, etc). I do find it useful if I'm leaving work early or other situation where I'm off schedule, and I can turn the AC/heat on before I get home.

These are incredible thermostats...deal not hot at all though...

If you think the Nest is cool, you should try the ecobee!

thedarsts said:   If you think the Nest is cool, you should try the ecobee!

Interesting, but makes the spendy Nest look inexpensive.

speedbird71 said:   thedarsts said:   If you think the Nest is cool, you should try the ecobee!

Interesting, but makes the spendy Nest look inexpensive.

Ecobee works better though. I have had both.

The Nest's big win is the auto-away. Although for some people (such as myself) it isn't useful because you thermostat isn't mounted in a location you walk by often.

It also has a few annoyances I guess. A friend used the app on his phone to set his Nest to home to warm up his house as he flew back from Xmas holiday. By the time he got home the thermostat had decided he wasn't really home and gone to auto-away and let his house get cold again.

All in all, a Nest has a pretty good app. So if you want a Wi-Fi thermostat it's a pretty good choice.

I bought a 2nd gen Nest a few months ago, and its awesome. Its crazy expensive compared to a typical thermostat, but I love the app with the scheduling you can customize/it learns, and the away feature.

Its a great investment if your current thermostat dies/doesnt work properly, and you like technology. Its easy to use and looks great too!

(the 2nd gen price @ Lowes is not a deal at all though. I got mine at BB (blue and yellow store) for $249, and they had a special and gave me an unexpected $20 gift card also.

There are a few things that I really enjoy:

1. Waking up and not having to get out of bed to turn on the heater.
2. Knowing the temperature of the house when I am out and changing it to my liking by the time I get home.
3. The thermostat can figure out how long it'll take to get to a temperature.
4. The Ironman inspired design.

Use a 10% movers coupon at Lowes then 225 is a great deal on a 2nd gen

HUGE YMMV.... The 1st gen was on sale for $200 roughly six months ago. When I went to got mine at Lowe's I accidentally took a 2nd gen to checkout... and it rang up at $200!

For a few extra minutes of your time, you never know.

These things are at least $100 overpriced.

Auto-away can be disabled.

Bagofchips said:   These things are at least $100 overpriced.

Because profit is evil and nobody should be rewarded for their hard work.

There are still a few countries where a communist like yourself might feel more at home. Go try one out.

If you're like me and don't need the auto learning or neato design of the unit check out 3M's Wifi thermostat. Last I saw it was $90 at Lowes and it also let's you control your thermostat over wifi, set schedules online, control it from an Android or iPhone, etc. I've saved a ton of money on nat gas and electric by being able to turn the heat down when I've forgotten.

Bagofchips said:   These things are at least $100 overpriced.The price also covers the cost of the online service to access and control the thermostat.

I was in a dilemma to buy this. Decided to buy this as the installation was easy.

The first few days, Nest was disconnecting from the 'mothership', hence I couldn't control it over WiFi. This happened a lot and research showed that Nest charges while the heating or cooling is on. This stopped after about a week and has been 'available'.

Scheduling is easy, interface is attractive and user friendly.

I can monitor the energy usage from anywhere and if I forget to reset the temp after getting out of the house, I can do it easily with the app. HTH

slickdeal45 said:   Bagofchips said:   These things are at least $100 overpriced.

Because profit is evil and nobody should be rewarded for their hard work.

There are still a few countries where a communist like yourself might feel more at home. Go try one out.

Do those "communist" countries restrict speech too? Since when is sharing an opinion on price wrong?

Gotta love the fanboi's....complain about price and they call you a communist!

Anybody experience this users problem?

But - it has a fatal flaw that makes it unsuitable where temperatures can drop below freezing.Nest Technical Support agrees this flaw exists. And they are working on it. But they don't know when there will be a solution.

THE PROBLEM: After a power failure, even a brief power failure, the Nest often requires human intervention to restart and turn the heat back on. Not every time, but quite often. This means that if there is a power failure during a winter vacation, even brief, you will lose your heat until you return home. This results in frozen and bursting pipes, and the resulting water damage to your home.

In theory, there is battery backup that lasts a week. In practice, it often does not. It sometimes only lasts for an hour. When the power goes out, the Nest repeatedly tried to connect to WIFI, burning through the battery's power in a short period of time. Apparently the software does not recognize that when the power is cut to the Nest, it is almost certainly off for the WIFI router. So, the battery drains quickly. This happened to me this week during a one hour power failure.

When the power returns, the Nest should restart, but often it does not. It did not restart for me. The device was not responsive for me. I needed to remove it from the wall, recharge it on a mini-USB cable for an hour, and restart the device. Then, it started working again.

yakky said:   

Do those "communist" countries restrict speech too?

Sounds as though you might like that...

Since when is sharing an opinion on price wrong?

Did I say that? Can you read?

Gotta love the fanboi's....complain about price and they call you a communist!

I don't have a Nest. I spent 10 minutes programming my thermostat, so I'm not quite in Nest's target market.

I just happen to think that those who bitch about price have no idea what the costs are, don't care that innovative people get paid for their hard work, and probably haven't made much of themselves. It's ignorance, sloth, and stupidity all rolled into one.

Are you bitching about the price the market has set, too, or are you just a hanger-on?

Lowes still does 5% off with there store credit card. Add the 2.5% off, and it gets slightly better. There are10%off movers coupons (available at post office when you request address change info, you don't have to complete it though), although I don't think they work online. The BF price was $188 so don't expect this to drop in price substantially, there's obviously bad retail margins on this, and even at $188 thru did not fly off the shelves.

For those of you that need an internet accessible thermostat, also consider www.bayweb.com. They are actually engineered and Made in the USA (Toledo, OH). I have one at my home and one at our lake cottage. Allows me to turn down the temps at the cottage to 45* in the winter, and crank it up a few hours before we get there. Their tech support has been incredibly good, fast and helpful. If you're into statistics, they give you all kinds of data - inside temp, outside temp, humidity, % runtime, solar index, wind index, % fan, etc.
I have had no problems after a power outage, it just kicks back on. That's the advantage of a hardwired internet thermostat. Don't worry you don't have to run CAT5 to the actual control panel where your current thermostat is, only to the module, which can be mounted out of the way, near the furnace, or somewhere else.

Bagofchips said:   These things are at least $100 overpriced.

I'm intrigued by these but I have 3 thermostats and can't justify $750 just because I'm intrigued. When they're $100 each I'll bite.

bxd20 said:   For those of you that need an internet accessible thermostat, also consider www.bayweb.com. They are actually engineered and Made in the USA (Toledo, OH). I have one at my home and one at our lake cottage. Allows me to turn down the temps at the cottage to 45* in the winter, and crank it up a few hours before we get there. Their tech support has been incredibly good, fast and helpful. If you're into statistics, they give you all kinds of data - inside temp, outside temp, humidity, % runtime, solar index, wind index, % fan, etc.
I have had no problems after a power outage, it just kicks back on. That's the advantage of a hardwired internet thermostat. Don't worry you don't have to run CAT5 to the actual control panel where your current thermostat is, only to the module, which can be mounted out of the way, near the furnace, or somewhere else.

I used a Bayweb before my Nest - rock solid unit, but limited mobile web interface. Loved the optional X10 motion sensor for auto-away (yes, they did that before Nest).

Also, the control pad it ugly as hell, and not very "wife-friendly".

ganda said:   Bagofchips said:   These things are at least $100 overpriced.

I'm intrigued by these but I have 3 thermostats and can't justify $750 just because I'm intrigued. When they're $100 each I'll bite.

Agreed. They are "neat" but expensive. I'll also wait, like I do on most products, I want....until they are both "neat" and a "hot deal".

I purchased a nest from Lowes after Christmas. I love the internet connectivity. Auto-away was a pain for me since it would cut the heat down when my kids would sleep late after I left for work. I decided auto away was not for me and cut it off. I wish it also had a hold button since my wife's a teacher and her and the kids are home some days due to snow or whatever. I handle this currently by changing the schedule online.

Not sure on cost savings the Nest is providing. My utility just changed to "smart meters" and my electric bill is higher. I know the nest is doing what it should so I assume it is saving me some $$$ I just cant see it in my bill. Irritating... I don't like Smart Meters. My bill is higher as well as others I know that just had the meter changed.

slickdeal45 said:   
I don't have a Nest. I spent 10 minutes programming my thermostat, so I'm not quite in Nest's target market.

I just happen to think that those who bitch about price have no idea what the costs are, don't care that innovative people get paid for their hard work, and probably haven't made much of themselves. It's ignorance, sloth, and stupidity all rolled into one.

Are you bitching about the price the market has set, too, or are you just a hanger-on?

So you think the nest is all that, but it's not worth YOUR money. Interesting and a bit hypocritical.

I do indeed think it is priced too high as there are other competitors that are priced at less than half, for example the 3M Filtrete/Radioworks thermostat is $90. Sure it doesn't have the gimmicky proximity sensor, but it has just about everything else including iOS/Android apps.

Hope the rest of your day goes better, sure sounds like you started out a bit rough.

disapointed with FW's logic on identifying the hot deals for the home page. This is a great thermostat but it's not a hot deal by any means. Why is this on the hot deals page?

apkesh said:   disapointed with FW's logic on identifying the hot deals for the home page.

Every deal posted by staff is automatically a "best deal". Guess it just one of the perks being a big cheese.

probably due to the posting activity on it

respdoc said:   apkesh said:   disapointed with FW's logic on identifying the hot deals for the home page.

Every deal posted by staff is automatically a "best deal". Guess it just one of the perks being a big cheese.
The relationship is more like the inverse of this: The forum topic is automatically posted by staff because it has already been made into a Best Deal

Every Best Deal must have a forum topic associated with it. If there isn't an existing forum topic to link to the Best Deal, a new forum topic is created.

For the record though, I had absolutely nothing to do with posting this topic or the Best Deal.

yakky said:   
So you think the nest is all that, but it's not worth YOUR money. Interesting and a bit hypocritical.

Again, you're either not a very good reader, or you're intentionally trying to put words in my mouth. Which is it?

I do indeed think it is priced too high as there are other competitors that are priced at less than half, for example the 3M Filtrete/Radioworks thermostat is $90. Sure it doesn't have the gimmicky proximity sensor, but it has just about everything else including iOS/Android apps.

That's the wonderful thing about the free market--nobody is going to make you buy this. You know that, right? Buy what you like. That's the whole idea.

I think a lot of us agree, this is by no means a "hot deal", as this is everyday price. However, another "deals" website had this submitted as well, were it sits on the first page (as of type). Kind of amazing how people follow the leader

excoriatorb said:   Bagofchips said:   These things are at least $100 overpriced.The price also covers the cost of the online service to access and control the thermostat.
So you have to go through a 3rd-party website to talk to the thermostat? Can you just talk to it directly via an internal IP address/port forwarding of your home connection?

I don't want it to become useless if their website ever disappears...

slickdeal45 said:   yakky said:   

Again, you're either not a very good reader, or you're intentionally trying to put words in my mouth. Which is it?

That's the wonderful thing about the free market--nobody is going to make you buy this. You know that, right? Buy what you like. That's the whole idea.

I don't need to win the internet olympics to feel good about myself. Sorry you got so upset and posted a bunch of contradictions.

yakky said:   I don't need to win the internet olympics to feel good about myself. Sorry you got so upset and posted a bunch of contradictions.

Gosh, you don't project much, do you?

Nest is a fine product if it fits a person's needs. It's shaken up a stale industry. If I thought it would save me more than a programmable thermostat, I'd get one. It'll be another year or so until there's a wide range of experiences and comparisons between the two.

BADsirIVAN said:   Auto-away can be disabled.

I know, but if you turn it off, then there is little value the thermostat brings versus a cheaper WiFi thermostat. All that is left is the good mobile application, so I mentioned that.

Skipping 76 Messages...
1st generation is $168.30 at Lowes in Wilkes Barre, Pa. YMMV.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.