• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
roamerr said:   I purchased a nest from Lowes after Christmas. I love the internet connectivity. Auto-away was a pain for me since it would cut the heat down when my kids would sleep late after I left for work. I decided auto away was not for me and cut it off. I wish it also had a hold button since my wife's a teacher and her and the kids are home some days due to snow or whatever. I handle this currently by changing the schedule online.

Not sure on cost savings the Nest is providing. My utility just changed to "smart meters" and my electric bill is higher. I know the nest is doing what it should so I assume it is saving me some $$$ I just cant see it in my bill. Irritating... I don't like Smart Meters. My bill is higher as well as others I know that just had the meter changed.

Lack of hold button is only one of the UI travesties of this thing. The shape, while pretty makes everything you want to do with it harder except change the temperature. And if you run in full auto mode (heat-cool) then even that is made harder.

Really the best way this thing is used is via the app. And then at that point the Ecobee wins out because it has better controls in its app. But then again it costs more and despite the claims of either company, you won't really save much money versus a regular setback thermostat, so the Ecobee won't pay off its incremental costs (neither will the Nest).

robby69 said:   Anybody experience this users problem?

But - it has a fatal flaw that makes it unsuitable where temperatures can drop below freezing.Nest Technical Support agrees this flaw exists. And they are working on it. But they don't know when there will be a solution.

THE PROBLEM: After a power failure, even a brief power failure, the Nest often requires human intervention to restart and turn the heat back on. Not every time, but quite often. This means that if there is a power failure during a winter vacation, even brief, you will lose your heat until you return home. This results in frozen and bursting pipes, and the resulting water damage to your home.

In theory, there is battery backup that lasts a week. In practice, it often does not. It sometimes only lasts for an hour. When the power goes out, the Nest repeatedly tried to connect to WIFI, burning through the battery's power in a short period of time. Apparently the software does not recognize that when the power is cut to the Nest, it is almost certainly off for the WIFI router. So, the battery drains quickly. This happened to me this week during a one hour power failure.

When the power returns, the Nest should restart, but often it does not. It did not restart for me. The device was not responsive for me. I needed to remove it from the wall, recharge it on a mini-USB cable for an hour, and restart the device. Then, it started working again.

In my experience, if you have that problem, move the red wire from Rc to Rh. Then it will boot itself up. I know Nest says you can use either, but in my experience there is a difference and the difference is in how it recovers from a flat battery.

It still will run itself down quickly during the power outage though as mentioned.

To ME, this thermostat flies in the face of FW convention. My $50 programmable thermostat takes less than five minutes to program. Is being able to change my temp with my smart phone worth an extra $200? Pass. JMHO.

In regards to the unit recharging itself, can the nest run off the 24VAC from the C wire? My wifi thermostat requires 24VAC to power the wireless card but also has battery backup.

Drew510 said:   To ME, this thermostat flies in the face of FW convention. My $50 programmable thermostat takes less than five minutes to program. Is being able to change my temp with my smart phone worth an extra $200? Pass. JMHO.

Look at it a different way. A thermostat is one of the few things in my home which I a) interact with on an almost daily basis, b) I have limited control of where it is physically situated and c) the available options to buy are about what I'd expect to find in a communist bread bakery circa 1978.

If I want a faucet, a refrigerator (or any appliance), a window, a light fixture - there are literally endless choices in varying forms, colors, functions, costs, and so forth.

Thermostats seem to come in three flavors - very basic, with a few options, and with a "green and black high tech touch interface" which is at least 15 year old technology. It's almost a joke to look at the list of options on Lowes or Home Depot in this segment.

The nest is attractive, offers features otherwise not available from the very limited competition, and they are iterating very quickly and the price for performance is coming down rapidly.

JMO.

Those interested in buying the Nest at retail may want to watch this video first, it was aired on CNN: Nest's $249 thermostat costs $69 in parts

personally, I think I'll wait for a good deal to come. Considering the margins are so high on this product, I am staying optimistic some FWer will post a good deal.

reddhead said:   In regards to the unit recharging itself, can the nest run off the 24VAC from the C wire? My wifi thermostat requires 24VAC to power the wireless card but also has battery backup.

C is ground. H is 24VAC. Many systems have 24VAC available, but some systems (heating-only) don't, they just have two wires that when connected run the system and when not connected don't run it.

As an alternative consider the Honeywell wifi thermostat. About $149 at Lowes , Depot and Anazon. The Honeywell website has instructions on how to change the G wire into a C wire. The HW device requires a C the.

apkesh said:   disapointed with FW's logic on identifying the hot deals for the home page. This is a great thermostat but it's not a hot deal by any means. Why is this on the hot deals page?

It had the potential to generate dollars

apkesh said:   Those interested in buying the Nest at retail may want to watch this video first, it was aired on CNN: Nest's $249 thermostat costs $69 in parts

Cost of parts is only one small component to the cost of a product. Besides production and distribution, you've got R&D, marketing, support, on-going operations... not to mention things such as the cost of securing, protecting, and litigating IP issues. (Nest and Honeywell are going at it with lawyers.) And then there are the expectations of investors--you know, that they actually get a return on their investment.

Have you priced out the cost of the raw materials in your cars? In your home? Cost of parts is a poor way to make a purchase decision. So is a consumer's perception of profit margin. That leads to buying crappy, unsuccessful products that have been steeply discounted due to their failure in the marketplace.

I want whatever works best for me. That's a combination of my perceptions of quality, value, and utility. I could care less how much it costs to make--unless I can make it myself. For the vast majority of consumer goods, I can't.

Nest is a great product in that it's changing perceptions of consumers on things like thermostats, home automation, and connectivity. It's the beginning of a new paradigm and set of expectations. It's about increasing your fixed, one-time costs in order to control your ongoing variable costs. That's a lot of power for a homeowner to have. Nest didn't create that, but it's building awareness of the idea and disrupting the marketplace.

That concept of being able to better control our variable costs is pretty attractive to a lot of us. Most people wouldn't express it in economic terms like that, but that's exactly what it is.

slickdeal45 said:   apkesh said:   Those interested in buying the Nest at retail may want to watch this video first, it was aired on CNN: Nest's $249 thermostat costs $69 in parts

Cost of parts is only one small component to the cost of a product. Besides production and distribution, you've got R&D, marketing, support, on-going operations... not to mention things such as the cost of securing, protecting, and litigating IP issues. (Nest and Honeywell are going at it with lawyers.) And then there are the expectations of investors--you know, that they actually get a return on their investment.

Have you priced out the cost of the raw materials in your cars? In your home? Cost of parts is a poor way to make a purchase decision. So is a consumer's perception of profit margin. That leads to buying crappy, unsuccessful products that have been steeply discounted due to their failure in the marketplace.

I want whatever works best for me. That's a combination of my perceptions of quality, value, and utility. I could care less how much it costs to make--unless I can make it myself. For the vast majority of consumer goods, I can't.

Nest is a great product in that it's changing perceptions of consumers on things like thermostats, home automation, and connectivity. It's the beginning of a new paradigm and set of expectations. It's about increasing your fixed, one-time costs in order to control your ongoing variable costs. That's a lot of power for a homeowner to have. Nest didn't create that, but it's building awareness of the idea and disrupting the marketplace.

That concept of being able to better control our variable costs is pretty attractive to a lot of us. Most people wouldn't express it in economic terms like that, but that's exactly what it is.

Yawn. You have already been explained that while this is a neat concept/product it is overpriced for a "Hot Deal". Time to move on.

Drew510 said:   To ME, this thermostat flies in the face of FW convention. My $50 programmable thermostat takes less than five minutes to program. Is being able to change my temp with my smart phone worth an extra $200? Pass. JMHO.

To each their own. Some people would consider a $600 remote car starter/alarm to be a rip-off or waste of money, others are happy to pay it for the convenience. Every one has a different view of what something is (or isn't) worth.

slickdeal45 said:   Message initiated from topic: Nest Learning Wifi Thermostat w/ Smartphone App @ Lowe's - $198 or $249 - FS

Did you say something? Your lips move a lot. I suppose that's got to be good for something.

Im'ing me..isn't going to change your whining. You have also been reported for that sorry attempt to spam my inbox. Have fun with that ban.

apkesh said:   Those interested in buying the Nest at retail may want to watch this video first, it was aired on CNN: Nest's $249 thermostat costs $69 in parts

It cost less than a quarter to print $100 bill. so what?
the cost to actually make an item, is usually only a small portion of what it costs to develop, distribute, patent, defend patent, etc, etc.....

with that said, I agree with others that the $249 price is not even a warm deal.

respdoc said:   ganda said:   I'm intrigued by these but I have 3 thermostats and can't justify $750 just because I'm intrigued. When they're $100 each I'll bite.

Agreed. They are "neat" but expensive. I'll also wait, like I do on most products, I want....until they are both "neat" and a "hot deal".
The price is not just for the thermostat, it's for the underlying web services that power access to it.

Someday, there will be an ad-supported version of these thermostats that requires the user to watch a 30-second commercial before you can change the temperature on the thermostat. And FWers will love it, because it'll probably be almost free.

excoriatorb said:   Someday, there will be an ad-supported version of these thermostats that requires the user to watch a 30-second commercial before you can change the temperature on the thermostat. And FWers will love it, because it'll probably be almost free.

Yup. Some utility companies have been giving away Wifi-enabled thermostats, with the provision that the utility can turn off the homeowner's AC at peak times. I can't imagine signing up for something like that, but there are plenty here who would.

slickdeal45 said:   

Yup. Some utility companies have been giving away Wifi-enabled thermostats, with the provision that the utility can turn off the homeowner's AC at peak times. I can't imagine signing up for something like that, but there are plenty here who would.

i have that now on my AC unit. they send out an RF signal during high demands and it shuts us down. I get a nice discount for being on the program, and we aren't home most of the time during peak hours anyway. We have been on the program for 2 summers so far, only one time that i was home or realized they did it. it was uncomfortable for a couple hours, but we lived

Who cares what it costs to make? Do you think those trinkets oyu buy at the dollar store cost anywhere close to a dollar to make? I have a nest and it's a great thermostat. I have it programmed exactly like I want it and have never had the issue of it going off and not rebooting (it does have a built in rechargeable battery).

I have never used Nest before. There is something I don't understand but I don't see it meaning mentioned by reviews. Where does it get its power from? My thermostat gets its power from 2AA batteries and it must have been YEARS since I changed its batteries. I don't recall my thermostat has a secondary power. So how could Nest work then?

kickerstarter said:   . Where does it get its power from? My thermostat gets its power from 2AA batteries and it must have been YEARS since I changed its batteries. I don't recall my thermostat has a secondary power. So how could Nest work then?

I'm not sure about Nest, but when you are talking about digitals, there are basically 2 types of thermos. 1 type gets it's power from the hvac system through the C terminal, the other gets it's power through batteries. Most newer ones will go either way. I'm sure if you are interested in the Nest you could do a search and find out in a matter of minutes

respdoc said:   slickdeal45 said:   Message initiated from topic: Nest Learning Wifi Thermostat w/ Smartphone App @ Lowe's - $198 or $249 - FS

Did you say something? Your lips move a lot. I suppose that's got to be good for something.

Im'ing me..isn't going to change your whining. You have also been reported for that sorry attempt to spam my inbox. Have fun with that ban.

wow...
hope this slickdeal45 gets banned

I have read its Amazon's product page more than once. I don't recall ever seeing the power requirement. All I see is "Built in rechargable lithium-ion battery". I don't know how common it is to have a "C terminal" but given that many thermostats was formerly analog, I can't say it is likely that they will have a power.

Ok so I've wondered if something was wrong with my Nest. Heat Pump is putting out 115F heat at vents. I checked amps at panel and it is pulling 45amps. The aux heat is running all the time. Called Nest and spent an hour on the phone with them troubleshooting. When I dropped the Aux white wire the heat pump cut off aux heat and put out 93F air. Anyway they are sending me a replacement thermostat. If that does not work then Nest is "incompatible with my system". That will be crazy since I have a normal American Std Heritage 13 single stage heat pump with heat strips for backup heat. Nothing unique there...

kickerstarter said:   I have read its Amazon's product page more than once. I don't recall ever seeing the power requirement. All I see is "Built in rechargable lithium-ion battery". I don't know how common it is to have a "C terminal" but given that many thermostats was formerly analog, I can't say it is likely that they will have a power.

took about 8 seconds to find http://support.nest.com/article/Power-Specifications-for-the-Nes...

Might make more sense to read MFG info for this kind of info rather than reviews. I assume reviews are done by people who did the research to see if it would work for them, then purchased, installed and used.

are nests the only wifi thermostats that don't require an AC power source to power the WIFI module? the others seem to require a transformer

crazypalooza said:   are nests the only wifi thermostats that don't require an AC power source to power the WIFI module? the others seem to require a transformer

No. Ecobee doesn't need one either. Not if you have 24VAC available to your thermostat as most systems with AC do.

It's the only one I know of that doesn't need a power supply for WiFi if you don't have 24VAC to your thermostat already. But I believe they are also being sued over how they do that so that implies someone else does it too and in fact did it first.

3M / Filtrete has most of the same features ( no activity sensor ) . It needs C wire to power the WiFi, & batteries for the rest. I have had it for over 1 year & happy with it. I think it's $109 @ HomDepot now. Compared to the others, a real bargain.

KKCC said:   3M / Filtrete has most of the same features ( no activity sensor ) . It needs C wire to power the WiFi, & batteries for the rest. I have had it for over 1 year & happy with it. I think it's $109 @ HomDepot now. Compared to the others, a real bargain.

Grabbed a couple of them today, they are $99 in store. The was a deal two weeks back on SD for $69, a steal at that price. Amazon has the Homewerks branded one for $89 but, the filtrete is the way to go as it has a 5-year warranty.

I think the argument has gone off-topic.

This item is REGULAR MARKET PRICE and the posting of the deal deserves to be carved up by Fatwalleters who are looking for BELOW MARKET PRICING on everything.

Otherwise, why even come here? We can go to our local Best Buy and just buy indiscriminately if we want to pay regular price. (One could argue that BB's pricing is above market pricing, though.)

If this type of behavior by Fatwallet staffers becomes the norm (did they take a kickback to post this "deal"?), it will ruin this forum. They'll be posting Apple iPhone $199 w/2 year contract deals all day.

darius11 said:    They'll be posting Apple iPhone $199 w/2 year contract deals all day.

Shipping kills that deal

can't agree with you more there...We all come here looking for a DEAL.. I don't know why the deal is still showing up on the hot deals page with this much red .

darius11 said:   I think the argument has gone off-topic.

This item is REGULAR MARKET PRICE and the posting of the deal deserves to be carved up by Fatwalleters who are looking for BELOW MARKET PRICING on everything.

Otherwise, why even come here? We can go to our local Best Buy and just buy indiscriminately if we want to pay regular price. (One could argue that BB's pricing is above market pricing, though.)

If this type of behavior by Fatwallet staffers becomes the norm (did they take a kickback to post this "deal"?), it will ruin this forum. They'll be posting Apple iPhone $199 w/2 year contract deals all day.

I found the 1st Gen on Amazon for $179.51 + $5.49 shipping.

Linky

looks like Honeywell has one for around $100 now. I have their prestige thermostat, and you think Nest is expensive, do a google search on their prestige thermostats. I had to buy the internet gateway add on for $90 just to add the wi-fi function.

freakinout said:   i have that now on my AC unit. they send out an RF signal during high demands and it shuts us down. I get a nice discount for being on the program, and we aren't home most of the time during peak hours anyway. We have been on the program for 2 summers so far, only one time that i was home or realized they did it. it was uncomfortable for a couple hours, but we lived
Hello miniature Faraday cage to block that RF signal and stay in control!

DerProfi said:   freakinout said:   i have that now on my AC unit. they send out an RF signal during high demands and it shuts us down. I get a nice discount for being on the program, and we aren't home most of the time during peak hours anyway. We have been on the program for 2 summers so far, only one time that i was home or realized they did it. it was uncomfortable for a couple hours, but we lived
Hello miniature Faraday cage to block that RF signal and stay in control!

Or you could just add a switch between the red wire and the yellow wire.

Or you could just not enter into such an arrangement, or you could do something absolutely crazy, like honor the agreements you make.

I integrated my Nest with an iPhone detection script I wrote. Basically, as soon as we leave the house, as detected by absence of iphones, my script will automatically set nest to away. Upon our return, as soon as either of our phones are seen, the nest turns off away and starts heating.

It guarantees that we're not heating the house when we're not there. For people with chaotic/unpredictable schedules, works wonderfully to save $$, and doesn't rely on walking by the thermostat.

I was on the fence about the benefit of Nest, until I got this working.. Now I'm sold.

do not buy if your have no C (ground) wire. Nest will not charge and you will have issues. Older homes with no C wire from furnace to 'STAT, and no easy way to add, due to walls and plaster, do not buy !

Gotta tell ya.

I was the first person to call people nuts for paying $200+ for a thermostat.
Then last week one of my thermostats went out and instead of doing the smart thing (going to HD to buy a $30 replacement) I went ahead and bought a pair of Gen2 Nest Thermostats (upstairs and downstairs).

I cannot excuse paying $500 for thermostats but this thing is NICE.
Controlling the temperature from my phone, tablet or computer (anywhere) is an excellent feature.

Its still in learning mode so I can't claim it saved me 110% off my energy bills or anything like that.
In fact, I doubt I will see much savings at all as I already had my old thermostats set to the EPA energy saver program.
But it is a beautiful and somewhat useful appliance. I even bought a squaretrade warranty (with coupon code) for it.

looper said:   I integrated my Nest with an iPhone detection script I wrote. Basically, as soon as we leave the house, as detected by absence of iphones, my script will automatically set nest to away. Upon our return, as soon as either of our phones are seen, the nest turns off away and starts heating.

It guarantees that we're not heating the house when we're not there. For people with chaotic/unpredictable schedules, works wonderfully to save $$, and doesn't rely on walking by the thermostat.

I was on the fence about the benefit of Nest, until I got this working.. Now I'm sold.

Would you mind sharing the script? I've been keeping an eye on the Nest for a while and I was hoping this capability was already built in.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014