• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This seemed like a good deal for a non-ultrabook basic laptop with DVDRW drive. It's sold out online, but available at B&M (YMMW). It's on clearance at Staples for $499.50.

Laptop

Toshiba L855-S5372 is the perfect power house laptop that you are looking for!
•3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.4GHz 6M Cache Processor; Enjoy an automatic burst of speed when you need it with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
•6GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM Memory, Expandable to 16GB
•640GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
•15.6” diagonal widescreen TruBrite® TFT LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
•Windows 8

It shows online only, but the option to check stores were available earlier in the day.

You can check the stock here: Stock checker (credit to: FeloniusMonkey)

Sku is: 990329

Edit: I noticed that Staples is clearing out some Windows 8 laptops when Windows 8 released not too long ago. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking it was because they're not touch screen, but they even had touch screen ultrabooks on clearance...

Member Summary

toshiba satellite
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
That's likely why, the dual core processors of 2007 were likely dual Pentium chips which notoriously ran hot. These newe... (more)

reset2k (Feb. 13, 2013 @ 8:44p) |

I found one of these laptops in store, it had been opened, but never left the store and was never set up. This resulted... (more)

Chinary (Feb. 20, 2013 @ 10:50p) |

What second coupon for $52?

tecman51 (Feb. 20, 2013 @ 11:50p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The 640GB 5400 RPM drive is a little slow for this chip, a 7200 would of been so much better. That said, this is a good deal (Green for OP).

Definitely good deal, but agree with the 5400 vs. 7200 rpm drive on an i7. Also just has Mobile Intel HD graphics. Regardless, good find OP!

I suggest replacing the main drive with 128GB SSD ($80) and buying adapter ($15) to convert DVD drive to use the 640GB for documents. You really don't need a DVD drive for computer use anymore. I did that with the the Dell Inspiron N5110 equipped with 2nd gen Core i7, which I bought scratch and dent from Dell. Now its is a screamer. It takes about 20 seconds to restart from close-down to open for business again. My Dell does have a 1GB dedicated graphics card but I'm not so sure that it adds that much speed to the integrated graphics on the Intel chip.

windows 8 kills the deals

SteelRing said:   windows 8 kills the deals

Trolls like YOU kill the deal.

You just keep thinking that way. That means more deals for the rest of us.

> Edit: I noticed that Staples is clearing out some Windows 8 laptops when Windows 8 released not too long ago. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking it was because they're not touch screen, but they even had touch screen ultrabooks on clearance...

I think there is a lot of competitive pressure coming from tablets, you can do a lot with them and in some cases they are cheaper. In the past 5 months I have purchased two tablets, 4 months ago a Nexus 7, and just last week an Acer Iconia W700 Windows 8 64 bit convertible tablet/pc. The Acer sports an Intel Core I3, 64 Gb SSD, 4 gb, with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, it's actually a pc built in a tablet format. For me it's small, convenient, and flexible. It's not for everyone but for me it meets my needs.

Ugh

oos

Thank you OP.

I was able to find on in North Beverly Ma.

I got one with price tag of $527.00 but used a coupon of $75.00 which made a deal sweet...

I believe this clearance is because it was a black friday model.

Can someone assure me that this laptop does not have horrible heat sink problems that plagued the last Toshiba I purchased? Based on the build it looks like a great deal, but I have strong reservations about this brand due to a machine I had a few years ago. Does it feel solid durable and reliable?

Got this laptop for $527.50 - $75 coupon = $452.50. Purchased a 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD to install for $180 and this will be a screamer. Makes a great 60th birthday present for my father. Thanks for the heads up Op!

PS: Squaretrade is also offering 35% off warranties (have to find the coupon), but it ends up being $129.99 - $35 coupon = $94.99 for a 3 year warranty with accidental damage from handling.

MisterStone said:   Can someone assure me that this laptop does not have horrible heat sink problems that plagued the last Toshiba I purchased? Based on the build it looks like a great deal, but I have strong reservations about this brand due to a machine I had a few years ago. Does it feel solid durable and reliable?

These CPUs run fairly cool, I don't know what heat sink problems you had, but sounds strange.

I'm sorry, it wasn't actually heat SINK problems. It was problems with general/case cooling I think. The machine in general ran very hot; I had to set it up on something to give it distance from the surface the laptop rested on to improve air intake and heat dissipation. The metal part of the vent would get hot enough to burn my hand. Also, it got really choked with dust very quickly, and the plastic vent cracked and had bits that broke off of it.

I think laptops now run much cooler in general, not sure if this is a big issue or not. Does Toshiba have good reliability ratings?

MisterStone said:   I'm sorry, it wasn't actually heat SINK problems. It was problems with general/case cooling I think. The machine in general ran very hot; I had to set it up on something to give it distance from the surface the laptop rested on to improve air intake and heat dissipation. The metal part of the vent would get hot enough to burn my hand. Also, it got really choked with dust very quickly, and the plastic vent cracked and had bits that broke off of it.

I think laptops now run much cooler in general, not sure if this is a big issue or not. Does Toshiba have good reliability ratings?

Was the hot computer a dual-core??

It was a low/mid-range new Toshiba purchased back in 2007 I think, so chances are it was a dual core.

MisterStone said:   It was a low/mid-range new Toshiba purchased back in 2007 I think, so chances are it was a dual core.

That's likely why, the dual core processors of 2007 were likely dual Pentium chips which notoriously ran hot. These newer generation chips use much less power (which equates to less heat dissipation).

I found one of these laptops in store, it had been opened, but never left the store and was never set up. This resulted in them having put a sticker on the resealed box giving 5% off. I used the $75 off coupon and the second coupon listed which gave me another $52 off giving me a net cost of $374.13 plus tax. This model is now probably gone but this week they have the $75 off coupon available again and a slightly different Toshiba L855-S5383 or a Samsung similar to it for around $600 less $75. Linky I am very happy with the L855-5372 deal and will put a Crucial SSD in it to make it screaming fast.

Chinary said:   I found one of these laptops in store, it had been opened, but never left the store and was never set up. This resulted in them having put a sticker on the resealed box giving 5% off. I used the $75 off coupon and the second coupon listed which gave me another $52 off giving me a net cost of $374.13 plus tax. This model is now probably gone but this week they have the $75 off coupon available again and a slightly different Toshiba L855-S5383 or a Samsung similar to it for around $600 less $75. Linky I am very happy with the L855-5372 deal and will put a Crucial SSD in it to make it screaming fast.

What second coupon for $52?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014