• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Microsoft Office 365 University for $79.99 - 2 computers + extras for 4 years with .edu email address

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.2591801...

Microsoft Store is offering Office 365 University for a 4 year period, good to install Office 365 on 2 PCs or Macs plus select mobile devices, with 20Gb's + of Skydrive and 60 free minutes of Skype calls per month all for only $79.99.

You must have a valid .edu address for this to work [4 year subscription exclusively for eligible higher education students, faculty and staff].

What many people do not realize is, if Microsoft chooses to upgrade Office in the next 4 years, you will automatically qualify for a free upgrade of Office.

This version of Microsoft Office comes with the following programs:

SUITE INCLUDES:

WORD
EXCEL
POWERPOINT
ONENOTE
OUTLOOK
PUBLISHER
ACCESS
SKYDRIVE | 20+ GB

You must have Windows 7 or Windows 8 for this deal to work.

I just ordered this deal from a Microsoft sales rep after calling 1877-MY-MS-STORE.

Considering all the extra perks, the allotted time given, and the promise of free future upgrades within the next 4 years, this appears to be a great deal compared to other deals at Microsoft.

soarwitheagles op

Member Summary

Office 365
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Slowly and evermore slowly towards equity, M$ is being able to charge less as their grip loosens. That's the bottom line... (more)

EasySteve (Feb. 15, 2013 @ 2:17a) |

if you'd rather use Amazon for some crazy reason (maybe you have gift card credit or something) you can get it there for... (more)

lemonhead (Mar. 04, 2013 @ 12:59p) |

I was able to use an Office Depot 30% off everything coupon without difficulty. Their second promotion of $20 off Office... (more)

PaulCollins (Mar. 04, 2013 @ 1:24p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Possible to uninstall from one pc/mac and re-install on other PC/mac like the retail version?

Yes, you deactivate and uninstall it on your one computer and then install it on another through your Microsoft account online.

After 4 years you can no longer run the apps?

Nice deal! That breaks down to $1.67 a month or 60 min of Skype + 20gb skydrive account + office.

its $79 a year subscription for 4 years = $316 for 4 years. Not really a deal!

xprzemusx said:   its $79 a year subscription for 4 years = $316 for 4 years. Not really a deal! As far as I can tell, it's not a recurring $79/yr. It's a flat $79/4yrs or about $20/yr.

Agreed with Yuyak, this is $79 for 4 years.

Yes, $79.99 for 4 years, but I have the same question. After 4 years are you no longer able to run the software on your PC?

donrull said:   Yes, $79.99 for 4 years, but I have the same question. After 4 years are you no longer able to run the software on your PC?

From what I understand , you will have limited functionality until you renew your subscription or Purchase another version of office.

This deal is not that great. Lukewarm. Students and faculty can already buy Microsoft Office Student for about $75 or so depending
on their university's relationship with Microsoft. There are already discounts for people with a .edu address. That version does not expire,
you don't have a time limit like this deal. As for the free upgrade part of the deal, it will probably be about 3 years before the next Office
version comes out, so at best you get one year with that version before your 4 years are up. I'd rather spend $80 on Office Student.
I don't really care for SkyDrive or Skype calls. I'm also not a big fan of the cloud. Yes it has its usefulness but I also like having things
completely saved on the computer for when you don't have access to the internet. As I understand it, this Office 365 version
required an internet connection and is based on the cloud. Not sure if you have full access to all the features when you can't get a wifi signal

Many folks have an EDU address but are not students or faculty. Technically the deal isn't for you .. and like Amazon Prime for Students, Microsoft reserves the right to charge you full price if they decide to audit and find you are not a student. The chances that any of them will care/audit more than verifying you have a valid email is very small, but its out there:

Individual must be a full or part time enrolled university or college student or faculty or staff at an eligible accredited educational institution and must be able to provide proof of enrollment to Microsoft or its appointed vendor upon request. Alumni of these institutions are ineligible;

If you participate in the Program, Microsoft reserves the right to contact you directly or through an appointed Microsoft vendor to verify that you are an Eligible Student. If you choose not to provide sufficient documentation to Microsoft or its appointed vendor that verifies that you are an Eligible Student, you agree to reimburse Microsoft for the difference between what you paid in connection with a discounted Program offer and the estimated full retail price of the same product(s). Microsoft will have sole discretion to determine the sufficiency of any documentation that you provide to verify you are an Eligible Student. By providing eligibility-related information to Microsoft’s appointed vendor, you agree that the vendor may share such information with Microsoft for Program-related purposes.

Microsoft, in its sole discretion, may accept other forms of validation to determine eligibility in lieu of the online academic verification process. Microsoft, in its sole discretion, may determine the criteria for eligibility under the Program and may change the eligibility criteria or deny eligibility at any time and for any reason.

TheThinker said:   As I understand it, this Office 365 version required an internet connection and is based on the cloud. Not sure if you have full access to all the features when you can't get a wifi signal

You need internet access to install (but so does the Office 2013 if you don't get the dvd). Once it's installed you don't need it other than to update documents to and from your SkyDrive.

nice THANKS op

This is a new version of Office and it is the price that it is being offered to all students and faculty. There is no $75 deal for this product...this is Microsft's offering for this new product. If you want an older version office, you can likely get it for closer to $50 with an edu address.

So how would one be limited after the 4 years? I can't find anything that is clear on this. I'm hesitant as I don't want a subscription to the core application like Word, Excel, Power Point, etc. If these expire, I'm not interested. However, if it just the cloud storage and services, then that's fine.

Guys, this is the same deal offered through my university. It IS a $79.99 one-time payment for the whole 4 years. This is a great deal if you can get verified as a student and should last until the next Office suite (2003, 2007, 2010, now 2013) is released. I have 2007, 2010, and the trial version of Office 365; though 2010 may be the most compatible with everything out right now, I love using 2013 best. SkyDrive and Skype are just icing on top but it is so liberating to use SkyDrive and not be tied to one machine, unless of course you are in the espionage business.

Caveat: Minimum Operating Systems are...
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 2008 R2 with .NET 3.5 or greater, Mac OS X version 10.5.8

TheThinker said:   This deal is not that great. Lukewarm. Students and faculty can already buy Microsoft Office Student for about $75 or so depending
on their university's relationship with Microsoft. There are already discounts for people with a .edu address. That version does not expire,
you don't have a time limit like this deal. As for the free upgrade part of the deal, it will probably be about 3 years before the next Office
version comes out, so at best you get one year with that version before your 4 years are up. I'd rather spend $80 on Office Student.
I don't really care for SkyDrive or Skype calls. I'm also not a big fan of the cloud. Yes it has its usefulness but I also like having things
completely saved on the computer for when you don't have access to the internet. As I understand it, this Office 365 version
required an internet connection and is based on the cloud. Not sure if you have full access to all the features when you can't get a wifi signal

There are a lot of universities that don't have special arrangements with MS, and there may well be fewer and fewer over time now that Google Apps is gaining traction with universities. My alma mater just switched over and gave alumni Apps access with generous additional cloud storage, no ads, etc. But there is no longer a licensing agreement with MS, not even for current students. Even when I was a student, the discount was paltry.

Also, I don't think you typically get Access, Publisher and OneNote with a lot of the student packages. I haven't looked in a while, so I could be wrong.

TheThinker said:   This deal is not that great. Lukewarm. Students and faculty can already buy Microsoft Office Student for about $75 or so depending

UPDATE: I know I said this was only a lukewarm deal, but after reading the details more closely, I might do this. $80 for 4 years is actually not
bad, considering a lot of people pay $130 or more. I don't care about Skype and have little interest in SkyDrive, but since you are allowed to
save Word, Excel, and Powerpoint on your PC for offline use, this might be a fairly decent deal. The price is about the same as what previous
version of Office Student cost at universities selling to students, and while you can't use it forever, 4 years is a fairly long time (think
of Apple which comes out with new devices every 10 months, making your shiny new iPad obsolete after you barely opened the box :p)

What I'm going to do now is download the free one month trial, and if I enjoy my free month, I'll add another 4 years for $80.
I wonder how strict their verification will be, or whether they just require a .edu address and nothing else. I also wonder if you are expected
to be a student for the entire 4 years. I would think not. I would imagine this is easy to get with a simple .edu address

This is a great deal IMHO. The only down side is that you have no control over what gets installed with Office 365. I have no desire to have Access, Publisher, or OneNote taking up space. But as far as I can tell, customized installs are not an option.

donrull said:   So how would one be limited after the 4 years? I can't find anything that is clear on this.

I found descriptions of the limitations using 'cripple' as the keyword.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236352/Pay_as_you_go_Office_365_cripples_apps_if_subscription_expires

In brief:
The limitation affects only Office 365, which essentially becomes read only. You still have the option to access the files to read with 365, or for full read/edit/save access with older office versions or online versions of word / excel. No skydrive saved files are lost (though you may be limited when saving new files), etc. So, my take is that the limitations wouldn't cripple home or occasional users entirely, and assuming freeware options maintain compatibilty, most users could make the switch to OpenOffice or Google if MS were to significantly increase costs in 2017 (That is, if you can even imagine what Office delivery models will exist by then. Let alone, what pricing might look like(I'm assuming that, by then, all SaaS and simple smart mobiles will be free in exchange for your acquiescece to an always-on GPS implant and complete comercial rights to your aggregate data: location, vital stats, consumption of media, food, fuel, etc.).

cmrivera said:   Yes, you deactivate and uninstall it on your one computer and then install it on another through your Microsoft account online.

this article says, it cant be done.
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on...

any other source?

Slowly and evermore slowly towards equity, M$ is being able to charge less as their grip loosens. That's the bottom line. The future looks bright, I gotta wear shades, prices are coming down. Remember paying $500 for Office at one time?

if you'd rather use Amazon for some crazy reason (maybe you have gift card credit or something) you can get it there for the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-University-Subscription-Validati...

I was able to use an Office Depot 30% off everything coupon without difficulty. Their second promotion of $20 off Office 365 with the purchase of a laptop/computer there did not allow the University version, however.

I suspect you could use similar coupons at Staples, etc.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014