• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Interstate Arms Model 981R 12 Ga 18.5" barrel Shotgun
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This and a handgun are the only survival guns you really need.

Ok guys...Im not a n00b to guns...but I am a n00b when it comes to purchasing guns. Id like to get this gun but it looks like I have to go through an FFL dealer. From what I can tell I buy it...then they ship it to the dealer and then I have to go and pick it up and pay the dealer a fee yes? And from what I can tell the dealers charge around a $50 fee...seems like a lot.

Do I have this right? I am in California (yeah...I know...dont remind me...wishing I still lived in Texas when it comes to guns).

Any advice would be appreciated. Im on a fairly tight budget.

Yes it must be shipped to your local FFL dealer of choice. $50 is about right,maybe a little high but you are in the Republik

You're correct. I recently ordered a gun on Atlantic Firearms's site. I selected an FFL from their site. I call the FFL and give them my info for when it comes in. They call me when they receive it, I do the paperwork. I wait a while for the background check. I paid $20 and took the gun home.

My advice would be to scour the local gun shops before buying. You may pay a hair more, but won't have the FFL fee. It also supports local business. If that fails, go ahead and buy it. Buds also has an FFL located on their site.

Hope that helps.

Jesteraron said:   Ok guys...Im not a n00b to guns...but I am a n00b when it comes to purchasing guns. Id like to get this gun but it looks like I have to go through an FFL dealer. From what I can tell I buy it...then they ship it to the dealer and then I have to go and pick it up and pay the dealer a fee yes? And from what I can tell the dealers charge around a $50 fee...seems like a lot.

Do I have this right? I am in California (yeah...I know...dont remind me...wishing I still lived in Texas when it comes to guns).

Any advice would be appreciated. Im on a fairly tight budget.


The easiest thing to do with Buds is to select an FFL that they already have on file. During the purchasing stage, they will have a drop down list of FFL's. you can just select one of those that is near you and they will ship the gun to them.

After ordering, I will usually just call the FFL dealer and let them know I have a firearm headed their way. They will then call me when the gun comes in. All I have to do then is go in, fill out a quick background check form, and then walk out with my gun. Takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish, at least in Texas.

On a side note, $50 seems like a lot to pay the FFL. I've ordered three guns from Buds and my local FFL only charged $25 for each gun.

So how does this compare to a Rem 870 or Moss 500? Looking to pickup my first shotgun and was leaning towards those two...

Thanks guys...I appreciate it. I am really wishing i bought my guns when I lived in Texas. I guess hindsight truly is 20/20.

Shadow6934 said:   So how does this compare to a Rem 870 or Moss 500? Looking to pickup my first shotgun and was leaning towards those two...

I am not pro but from what I am reading it is a Rem 870 clone but from a couple of the reviews it's got some minor quality issues comparatively speaking. I personally am leaning towards this one due to the cost.

it has ghost rings sights too. This is made by Norinco a Chinese company known for their pre-ban AK's.

IMO I wouldnt go for a cheap copy on a firearm you are going to use to protect your home. If you're target shooting or just shooting for fun it won't make much of a difference but Id hate to try to save $200 on a firearm that maybe the difference between life and death. Just my 2cents.

The 870 and 500 and both very good options and have been around for a very long time and both have very good reputations of being extremely reliable shotguns. I would save my pennies and wait for something a bit better when getting a shot gun like these.("these" being a defense shotgun...not a target gun"

$20 to $25 MAX for a transfer fee or get a NEW HONEST dealer. $50 is a rip off!! If you have a good long term relationship with your ffl $15 Is what I pay sometimes he'll group multiples together too for that price.

It depends on where you live. Philadelphia area - all dealers charge $40-$50. Nothing to chose from. One dealer I know charges $30 but his is a pain to deal with. Some dealers just don't do internet transfers at all. Market is hot why bother ?

I have this, it ain't a cheap copy, google it, many report it to be an overbuilt 870. I have an 870 Super Magnum and this gun and the IA is just as well built IMO.

Why do firearm related posts always bring out incorrect replies?

Yes, this will need to be sold through a FFL in your state. Fees can vary greatly, there are usually some local taxes, and often the additional FFL mark-ups are unregulated. In CA the additional costs can be anywhere from $15 to $150, it's whatever the FFL wants and can get away with. Also in CA most FFLs now charge sales tax based on the price paid.

The best way to find out what is entailed in buying through the internet is to call several local FFL holders and ask, again, their charges may vary, so don't rely on just one.

This particular shotgun is not some second rate clone, many people familiar with both this shotgun and the model it's based on - Remington's venerable 870 - believe this one is actually a bit better, it certainly is very close. The only major part that is not interchangeable is the barrel. Also not that the same parent company that owns Remington also owns the primary company that imports these.

No doubt you can find instances where someone got one of these and it had some flaw, but then there are plenty of people who got an 870 and also reports issues - particularly problems with spent shells not being extracted. Both models are cranked out in huge numbers and mistakes happen. But rest assured that minor problems are easy to fix and these will go "BANG" when you need them to.

MaxMojo said:   Why do firearm related posts always bring out incorrect replies?

Yes, this will need to be sold through a FFL in your state. Fees can vary greatly, there are usually some local taxes, and often the additional FFL mark-ups are unregulated. In CA the additional costs can be anywhere from $15 to $150, it's whatever the FFL wants and can get away with. Also in CA most FFLs now charge sales tax based on the price paid.

The best way to find out what is entailed in buying through the internet is to call several local FFL holders and ask, again, their charges may vary, so don't rely on just one.

This particular shotgun is not some second rate clone, many people familiar with both this shotgun and the model it's based on - Remington's venerable 870 - believe this one is actually a bit better, it certainly is very close. The only major part that is not interchangeable is the barrel. Also not that the same parent company that owns Remington also owns the primary company that imports these.

No doubt you can find instances where someone got one of these and it had some flaw, but then there are plenty of people who got an 870 and also reports issues - particularly problems with spent shells not being extracted. Both models are cranked out in huge numbers and mistakes happen. But rest assured that minor problems are easy to fix and these will go "BANG" when you need them to.





Glad we had a PRO show up and set us straight

OOS for me now...Nice find tho!

Not a pro - just informed.

Fact: FFL fees and local laws vary greatly. Posting otherwise can lead some folks astray.

Fact: This particular shotgun has great reviews, but some people seem to slam any firearm that's not madE by their favorite brand.

My "PRO" aim is simple, I believe very much in our 2nd amendment rights, and realize that more people exercising that right means that fewer politicians and other will have the desire or power to take them away.

To that end when I see public info that is incorrect or may impinge on people buying a firearm I do my best to present clear and helpful info.

If you have a problem with that, that's your problem.

pgtmini said:   it has ghost rings sights too. This is made by Norinco a Chinese company known for their pre-ban AK's.

This model does NOT have ghost ring sights (that's the 982). However this does have a Picatinny rail, perfect for a nice red dot sight!

(Oh, forgive me, that's the "Pro" in me posting again)

I recently bought two of these shotguns when someone here posted it at CTD for $179 with FS.. S

I called around and got a TON of different answers for the transfer fee. Cabelas was the highest at $40, I found multiple that would do it for $25, but in the end I found a pawn shop that said he'd do $15 a pop since I was ordering two guns. o for $194 ea shipped and transferred, I couldn't pass it up.

I picked the guns up and have put 75 rounds through mine. Not a single hiccup. Just good old fashioned fun shooting a gun that kicks like a mule. The gun is seriously solid! There was another brand that was nearly twice the price that I was looking at, but it felt like a chincy piece of crap. This gun has heft, and feels like a solid firearm. I would recommend it to anyone. For the price it can't be beat.

Anyone claiming that it's Chinese crap honestly hasn't shot the gun yet. Likely hasn't even held it. It's very hard to call this gun crap once you get it in your hands and actually shoot it.

It is a clone, which means that the Remington parts work for it. Stocks, grips, heat guards, all of it other than barrels.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014