• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
First Act Adam Levine Acoustic Guitar Pack @ Kmart.com - $19.99
was $79.99
Free In-Store Pick-Up

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Kmart.com
See Kmart.com discounts that earn 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
update:

after playing it for the past half hour, i'm noticing that it's a little small for me. however, i'm used to playi... (more)

morecowbell (Feb. 11, 2013 @ 8:48p) |

Hey MCB - thanks for the detailed review. You should post it on Amazon if the guitar is listed on there!

I've never play... (more)

LostConsumer (Feb. 11, 2013 @ 10:28p) |

some people need a wider neck, and some benefit from a smaller one. for example, stevie ray vaughan used a wider neck. o... (more)

morecowbell (Feb. 11, 2013 @ 10:44p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Not for me. Got a junky acoustic at Target a while back, so I'm good. Thanks for posting though. Looks like a fine cheap guitar to bring outside for campfires and whatnot.

Product Description

Adam Levine acoustic guitar pack.
Classic parlor size steel string acoustic guitar
Designed with Adam Levine of Maroon 5
Natural spruce top with select hardwood back and sides
Full, rich sound
Rosewood bridge for full tone spectrum
Steel-reinforced hardwood neck
Includes Designer Series guitar strap and picks

Great deal in for 1. Shipping sucks...

At first I thought this was for an Adam Levine guitar PICK for $20 and came here just to see what was wrong with society. For the PACK though, green it is. Expensive guitars are overrated, and for $20 you should give one to every kid you know just in case one of them decides to start practicing.

OOS for shipping; might still be available for store pickup.

good price but is it durable enough to be playable? or will it fall apart within mins? i'll check this out.

in for 1

WorkerAnt said:   good price but is it durable enough to be playable? or will it fall apart within mins? i'll check this out.

I had a few First Act electrics from a deal a long time ago. I bought them as beater guitars but when I played them, they were just as good or better than my old Fender Squire electric. Probably made in the same factory. So, with that being said, I would bet that the acoustics are very usable and stable.

Thanks, picked one up for my daughter.

They also have many other products from the Adam Levine product line on sale up to 75% off, including guitar strings or picks($1.50), a drum seat($9.99), drumsticks($2.50), guitar/bass auto tuner($4.99), USB keyboard for $19.99-was 79.99, and a few other things.

Adam Levine Sale

Sears seems like it is selling out this line as well - they have the electric Adam Levine with amp for $32 and change. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05720045000P?vName=TVs%...

I ordered the acoustic guitar for pickup. when i went to the store there was about 7-8 of them there for 19.99. while i was in the store picked up the keyboard for 19.99, online stated that the keyboard wasnt available at this store, but it was there. also the electric guitar is 64.99 there didnt buy it, it is impossible to get at Sears

i bought this a year ago last christmas for a niece. it's a nice guitar for her - it's playable and sounds good

gdownie said:   At first I thought this was for an Adam Levine guitar PICK for $20 and came here just to see what was wrong with society. For the PACK though, green it is. Expensive guitars are overrated, and for $20 you should give one to every kid you know just in case one of them decides to start practicing.i disagree about expensive guitars being overrated. if you want to play in front of people, you want something that sounds good and won't go out of tune

gdownie said:   ...for $20 you should give one to every kid you know just in case one of them decides to start practicing. That's an awesome idea! Who knows, that cheap-o guitar could change some kid's life!

Just got back from Kmart with mine, frets are really small but for $20 it's fine. Came way out of tune, but so far looks like a good deal.

Are there any disadvantages to learning to play on this? Are there fewer frets or anything?

I could always buy a better guitar if I really develop a knack for it, but want to know if following instructional videos etc. wouldn't work on this for x y or z reason (ie. fewer octaves, won't stay in tune, much more difficult to play, etc).

Thanks for any feedback!

fatwellatio said:   OOS for shipping; might still be available for store pickup.I was able to order one online. I found it in a store about 40 miles away and chose "store pickup" since it was the only option, then when checking out I was able to change it to home delivery. Now let's see if it actually arrives.

I tuned it up and sounds ok. Not great, but it's $20. Stayed in tune so far, but haven't had it too long. It's very light and small, but not too small. Very happy with purchase even though I already own too many guitars as it is. Came with strap, 3 picks, extra B and high E string. Neck is very thin and comfortable to play. Excellent guitar for the beginner who wants to play around with until they get a better guitar. Great buy!

i was just there at Kmart and the guy said they only have the toy guitars. he also said this is online only.

Can anyone tell me if this would be an OK guitar for a 7 year-old to start learning to play or do they make kid-sized guitars that would be better? Thanks

They make much smaller guitars sold at places like Toys R Us. I would think this First Act would be fine for a kid though.

lousygolfer said:   Can anyone tell me if this would be an OK guitar for a 7 year-old to start learning to play or do they make kid-sized guitars that would be better? Thanksi bought one for an 8 yr old with the thought that kids grow kinda fast and she would grow into it. so basically it's big for her hands, but she is able to fret chords with a little work. i figure about a year and she'll be able to do it comfortably and it should last her until she's 15 or so.

Thanks for the input - my kid's about the size of a typical 8-year old and may not want to pick the instrument up for a year or two anyway.

In for one. Thanks OP ! Shipped it free with Shop your way 3 month trial.

This guitar is surprisingly good and payable. Can't beat for $20, no doubt! It is 3/4 though, and best suited for small hands and kids. I can play it fine, it sounds quite good, but frets are indeed a bit small for adults (I play guitar for over 30 years).

They carry this exact guitar at Kohl's (in the toy section) with a price yesterday of $119.99. I'm glad I didn't buy it from K-mart (would have required a 100 mile roundtrip to the nearest store that had it in stock and I just didn't have time to make the trip), as my daughter took one look at the big picture of Adam Levine on the front of the box of the one we saw yesterday at Kohl's and wrinkled her nose, saying "Yuck! I hate Adam Levine! He's gross!" I'd say she's in a very small minority of females sharing that view (I think because she hates tattoos). Now if she had said that most of the contestants on The Voice actually are more talented singers than Levine is, I would think that would be a much more common (if not common, at least objectively reasonable) opinion.

lousygolfer said:   They carry this exact guitar at Kohl's (in the toy section) with a price yesterday of $119.99. I'm glad I didn't buy it from K-mart (would have required a 100 mile roundtrip to the nearest store that had it in stock and I just didn't have time to make the trip), as my daughter took one look at the big picture of Adam Levine on the front of the box of the one we saw yesterday at Kohl's and wrinkled her nose, saying "Yuck! I hate Adam Levine! He's gross!" I'd say she's in a very small minority of females sharing that view (I think because she hates tattoos). Now if she had said that most of the contestants on The Voice actually are more talented singers than Levine is, I would think that would be a much more common (if not common, at least objectively reasonable) opinion.

I like much going on the patio

Thanks

Sears & K-Mart have the electric guitar pack for $64.99 too. I know it's nothing amazing, but for $64.99 not too bad. Target sell it also, and price match too.
http://www.kmart.com/first-act-adam-levine-electric-guitar-pack-...

ok, here's my review without having played it for more than 10 minutes

i tuned it in less than 5 minutes. it stayed in tune after getting all the strings settled and i was able to play a song without it going any more out of tune than a guitar with a new set of strings

this guitar is small-ish. seems to be about 3/4 size (maybe this was already said). definitely not full size, but not terrible.

*i would not use this as a main guitar* being an adult. but a person could do worse. i bought this as a "beach guitar" and i fully knew it would not be like my other guitars going into it. that said - how small is it?

my hand wraps completely around the guitar. but so what? it does that on my full-size electric guitar (hamer double cutaway, if it matters). compared to my classical guitar it's tiny, but compared to the electric it's comparable. the difference is in the spacing of the frets.

i've included a picture of my hand on my Dell mini netbook for baseline perspective. my hand is relaxed and not stretched.

*note* - these pictures are not instructional and are not the normal fingering i'd use. i used this fingering with my palm against the back of the instrument to show how much my hand wraps around the instrument just for perspective. experienced players will know how much they want their hand to wrap around the instrument. beginners, be advised that the instrument should be tried and played and determined to be comfortable. average sized hands (as i consider my own) will find this guitar to be small for normal playing, but not too small to be silly. larger hands will find it more difficult to play, as will fatter fingers.

update:

after playing it for the past half hour, i'm noticing that it's a little small for me. however, i'm used to playing the classical guitar which is wider than my electric guitar as well. my electric guitar often seems small to me, and this first act is a tad smaller (because the frets are closer together)

ETA i'm also noticing in the pictures in the last post that almost 3 frets fit within my palm on the full sized guitar, whereas in the 3/4 size guitar a little over 3 fit. gives a good idea of how small this guitar is. not a toy, but not full-sized.

Hey MCB - thanks for the detailed review. You should post it on Amazon if the guitar is listed on there!

I've never played guitar before these last couple of days (I bought this one), but I was attributing the difficulty I'm having largely to my lack of ability to play (obviously), but also a bit to the closeness of the frets. Looking at the pictures you posted, I've realized the narrowness of the neck and the resulting closeness of the strings to one another, might be more of a problem for me than the spacing of the frets.

Oh well - I still think this is a really cheap way for a complete beginner like me to figure out whether or not playing guitar is something I want to get into.

some people need a wider neck, and some benefit from a smaller one. for example, stevie ray vaughan used a wider neck. on the other hand (pun intended) jimi hendrix had HUGE hands, but played a standard neck. it must have been like a toy to him! (look at some live footage and you'll see what i mean)

i intentionally tried to be a little vague, as this is all personal preference stuff. i have a hard time with it because i play my classical guitar as my primary. you'll see what you like over time. but it may be worth it to spend an hour at Guitar Center to see what feels comfortable. just learn a few chords and head on over (there are a few websites that will give you some, it doesn't matter right now) and strum away. don't worry about not knowing how to play - we all start somewhere. you may hate the adam levine one and want to take it back and decide to get a full sized one. or you may decide to keep it as a backup/beach guitar, or even main guitar.

i'll tinker around with it and maybe i'll review it on Amazon thx

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014