• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Netgear NeoTV NTV300SL Streaming Player: $59 on Rakuten Free Shipping No tax

Linky

IMPORTANT - if you need YuppTV (international live/streaming channel) -- this (or NTV200) is one of the BEST devices out there - Make sure its "wired"

If you felt "dissed/burned" by Roku - yanking all international subscription/paid channels (except DishWorld)., you can find great comfort in this Netgear device!

Roku charm has now diminished, due to lack of YouTube, and blocking of "international" channels. Thats an observation and you get the hint!

NTV300SL is also referred as NeoTV MAX: If you want to watch Netflix, Hulu Plus (not base Hulu), or Vudu on your TV, this works. It's tiny, and shiny.

If you have cut the cable and looking for a some news and entertainment, this could work. If you have Antenna . Many metro/suburb areas work great with in-the-attic or roof-top regular or Digital antennas! Do Check/test you be surprised how many local broadcast channels you receive!

Music: Pandora, Rhapsody

This appears to come with a nice compliment of games including Sudoku, Poker, Blackjack, and Kaboom

There is a substantial suite of Vudu apps (check the netgear page for the ntv300 for full list)

It's 1080p, there's an andriod app, iPhone app to control it, it's wired and wireless -- (wired preferred for live Streaming channels, wireless for live-streams sometimes sucks even with Roku!)

Does NOT do: "Amazon Instant Video"

WiDi Support: works OK with Windows 7, reportedly not working with Windows 8

Upgrades/Updates: Periodic updates, but does not support as many channels as Roku (no private channels, not much public development)

Remote - mostly good on its own (but Roku spoiled all of us with its great remote!)

two-sided remote control with a full QWERTY keyboard, ability to play personal media files from external devices: USB hard disk drives, USB thumb drives, and DLNA Certified media servers

This is perfect unit for anyone with a Slingbox. You can't beat it's Slingplayer app!

If you are considering NTV300 base model, which is going around for about $45 on deal, might as well jump on this for $59 Free shipping, no Tax

//Price went-up to $69

Rakuten.com Shopping
See Rakuten.com Shopping discounts that earn Up to 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Netgear NeoTV NTV300SL (6.07kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Link above took me to main Rakuten page ("can't find item"). This http://www.rakuten.com/sr/searchresults.aspx?qu=ntv300sl see to work for me.

I have to admit Amazon Prime videos is a priority for me, because I can't get them to work on my PC (originally thought I'd hook up the notebook to the TV for APIV). I wasn't aware of other complaints about Roku but I haven't followed it much. Though the argument for wired connection makes me think I'd want that which only comes on the top Roku? I can see this Netgear device has some advantages for specific requirements (and at the price of these things, who says you can't have two? ).

Green for the thread, even if I don't want this particular box.

Thanks!
=aw

Just curious.. is there a list of international channels it supports?

Is the "hundreds of international channels" they advertise simply a function of having a built-in browser?

=aw

I own NTV300 (not the SL), but did not check/find for all international channels, but researching on Web found supported International channels:

International Web TV Channels - Deutsche Welle, kanalB, Le Monde.fr, tagesschau

Film Fresh - Contemporary films from around the world. An extensive library of great works of world cinema, including many smaller American films

Databazaar - Provides users with unlimited streaming of favorite Bollywood movies, TV shows, and music videos.

WKNTV, which offers Korean programs that include both live streaming and video-on-demand (VOD) content.

YuppTV - good streaming (and VOD) selection of Indian and particularly Telugu channels -- good packages

Web TV Channels - London Landscapes TV

Let me add - of these international channels, my "main" interest is YuppTV -- and this serves well for that purpose (since Roku kicked this channel, and many others out!)

ottawa said:   Is the "hundreds of international channels" they advertise simply a function of having a built-in browser?

Databazaar.com goes to office supplies

Netgear came out with a neotv with google tv for $129, is that version just this version can do plus google TV? is it worth the extra to have google tv. I am still not sure what exactly is google tv.

I bought the $40 version just for the fact it has the slingplayer app. It is not without quirks and bugs but cheapest solution to getting Slingplayer on your TV there is.

Try: http://www.databazaarmedia.net
Not a great selection, but something better than nothing

bharatiya said:   Databazaar.com goes to office supplies

ottawa said:   Link above took me to main Rakuten page ("can't find item"). This http://www.rakuten.com/sr/searchresults.aspx?qu=ntv300sl see to work for me.

I have to admit Amazon Prime videos is a priority for me, because I can't get them to work on my PC (originally thought I'd hook up the notebook to the TV for APIV). I wasn't aware of other complaints about Roku but I haven't followed it much. Though the argument for wired connection makes me think I'd want that which only comes on the top Roku? I can see this Netgear device has some advantages for specific requirements (and at the price of these things, who says you can't have two? ).

Green for the thread, even if I don't want this particular box.

Thanks!
=aw

Not to jack the thread, but you might want to check out the smp-n200. I too wanted Amazon Prime vid and a hardwire. Got mine off eBay refurbed for 39.99 and it looked brand new.

Any idea will yupptv be supported on ntv550??

Mixed reviews at BB, with ~3x as many 1-star reviews as 5-star.

I own the NTV-550, the previous generation of this model, and rarely use it. Netgear's web site says they have EOLed the 550 already. That's not a good precedent if you were hoping for firmware updates that extend the device's capabilities to new streaming sites.

excoriatorb said:   Mixed reviews at BB, with ~3x as many 1-star reviews as 5-star.

I own the NTV-550, the previous generation of this model, and rarely use it. Netgear's web site says they have EOLed the 550 already. That's not a good precedent if you were hoping for firmware updates that extend the device's capabilities to new streaming sites.

I own the Netgear Push2TV HD (PTV2000) and when the updated units came out last year, I was looking at the NTV300SL. On paper, it did everything mine did and then added features. Problem is, it did NOT work right at launch. All the early reviews were AWFUL!

I believe Netgear has released updated firmware but I've not found details on whether that firmware has fixed it, and I'm not willing to take a chance on it based on the poor performance at launch.

I want one, but only if I know it'll work as good, if not better, than my PTV2000.

any free Bollywood/ Indian VOD channel out there? have both Roku and Neo.

actually I have an extra neoTV to sell. PM with your offers

csr said:   Any idea will yupptv be supported on ntv550??According to the main page at Netgear's site for this model, the NTV550 has been EOLed. No more updates.

Learned two things in this thread:

1 - There is a lot of interest in Indian movies.

2 - I never knew the Cherokee, Navajo, Hopi, et al nations made movies!

I can not get it to work with my Slingbox classic. Will someone tell me if they have got it to work with older slingbox. Their is almost no documentation about this app on NeoTV. Thanks.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014