• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Ran across this while trying to put parts together for a tits-up desktop.

I'm seeing $319 at both Am@zon and Newegg, so its a sizable difference in price. Good luck!

The Intel Core i7-3770K packs four cores with Hyper-Threading technology and Turbo Boost 2.0 technology to deliver top-of-the-line performance that makes a difference you can see and feel in HD or 3D, multitasking or multimedia. Its unlocked multiplier allows you to freely adjust the frequency when used with compatible motherboard, pushing the performance to a new level and pumping the max out of your investment.

Link

Member Summary

Core i7 3770K (6.96kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary

Available for In-Store Pickup Only.
No luck for me.

Nice, if you are close to a MicroCenter with one in stock.

WTF??? Need to pick it up??? To good to be true...Yup/ THey just want traffic by discounting just a few CPUs. Shitty Business Practices IMO

@Orange County MC...there are over 30+ in stock!!!!!!!! Get em!!! Plus a 5% DISCOUNT! Just tell the cashier that you forgot your coupon!!!!!!!

SRCASTK said:   WTF??? Need to pick it up??? To good to be true...Yup/ THey just want traffic by discounting just a few CPUs. Shitty Business Practices IMO

MC has been doing the Loss Leader prices for CPUs for a while now. Their Mobo prices aren't that bad either.
I bought this same CPU back in Dec. for my build. It's the only thing i bought there, plus an ipad (In-Store Pickup, skipped about 20 people in line that day). Got it for the same price $230 +tax.

SRCASTK said:   WTF??? Need to pick it up??? To good to be true...Yup/ THey just want traffic by discounting just a few CPUs. Shitty Business Practices IMO

You're kidding right?? This has been the price of the product for some time now at MicroCenter and just today I was looking for an OEM i5 Sandy Bridge and they had one left at the store near me!

The i7-3770k has been $229 for months. The i7-3770 has been $259 for the same period of time. Micro Center's prices on CPUs are ridiculously cheap compared to anyone - anyone - else.

And it's no loss leader trying to get foot traffic in the store. Place the order online and it will be at the front desk ready for pick up when you get there. You'll be in the store less than 5 minutes.

For some advice - the i7-3770k is the faster processor even though it's cheaper. If you're just playing games and doing office work, that's probably the way to go. It's also the right choice if you're into overclocking. However, its biggest difference with the i7-3770 is the fact that it doesn't support all hardware virtualization features. That is, if you plan on running 64-bit virtual machines on it with Windows 8 (which has virtualization built in) or VMware Desktop, definitely get the i7-3770 instead of the i7-3770k even though it's very slightly slower and a little more expensive.

With either CPU, the Asrock Extreme 4 is an excellent choice motherboard to pair it with.

FinancialAnalyst said:   The i7-3770k has been $229 for months. The i7-3770 has been $259 for the same period of time. Micro Center's prices on CPUs are ridiculously cheap compared to anyone - anyone - else.

And it's no loss leader trying to get foot traffic in the store. Place the order online and it will be at the front desk ready for pick up when you get there. You'll be in the store less than 5 minutes.

For some advice - the i7-3770k is the faster processor even though it's cheaper. If you're just playing games and doing office work, that's probably the way to go. It's also the right choice if you're into overclocking. However, its biggest difference with the i7-3770 is the fact that it doesn't support all hardware virtualization features. That is, if you plan on running 64-bit virtual machines on it with Windows 8 (which has virtualization built in) or VMware Desktop, definitely get the i7-3770 instead of the i7-3770k even though it's very slightly slower and a little more expensive.

With either CPU, the Asrock Extreme 4 is an excellent choice motherboard to pair it with.

Thanks for this comment FinancialAnalyst. I was not aware of the differences between the two. It seems that i7-3770K lacks "Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)" although I am not sure if I would significantly benefit from this feature (if at all) when running guest virtual machines. They both support "Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)" and this is what supports virtualization.

Here is a feature comparison between the two:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65523,65719

If you're gaming, the i5 3570k is the sweet spot for power versus price. It's $189.99 at Microcenter. Only a bit slower than the 3770k, a good overclocker, and somewhat cheaper. Not to mention that the actual productivity advantages of the i7 (ie hyper-threading) are almost totally useless for gaming.

I was able to PM the Microcenter at Frys for a similar deal before Xmas ...

clunk said:   I was able to PM the Microcenter at Frys for a similar deal before Xmas ...

What is the "Microcenter at Fry's"?

Go to Fry's Electronics and ask them to price match with Microcenter.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-377...

29th on the top CPU benchmark.

However #4 on the single threaded performance chart:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

However in terms of performance/$ it's not too good: 41.95
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html

All depends on what you're looking for. If it's single threaded performance this is an awesome deal. If it's Performance/Price ratio AMD still beats it.

tigi: No problem. The biggest thing you can't do with a i7-3770k is run a 64-bit guest. That requires VT-d. That's a deal breaker for me considering every Windows server operating system has only come in 64 bit since 2008 R2 IIRC.

DarkScout: You're way, way off there. Passmark is a great benchmark but you are not reading it correctly. First, the $ per passmark scale is thrown off by the high street prices on the Passmark site. Their price for an i7-3770k is $304.99. As you can see from this post, Micro Center is selling it for $229 which drastically changes the results. Second, you are looking at ridiculously small and outdated numbers and comparing them to new numbers. The AMD chips at the top of the chart you linked have an average cost of $41 per CPU with many of them costing around $10. These are garbage chips from many years ago that you wouldn't want in any system.

This is honestly the only chart you need to look at:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

That's a comparison of all the high end CPUs by their relative Passmark scale. The i7-3770k is way up there at a very cheap price. Again, Passmark lists $304 for the CPU but you can get it from Micro Center for $229 which is a steal. These Ivy Bridge processors are unbelievably superior to anything AMD has. Haswell coming out in June is going to push Intel that much further ahead. Seriously, look at the high end CPU chart I linked again. There are one or two AMD CPUs in the i7-3770k class and they are well over twice the price! The high end chart is literally dominated by Intel.

I've been buying AMD processors since their 40 MHz 386, but nobody who knows anything is buying them now. They're basically fooling people by gimmicks like 8-core sockets that perform substantially slower than Intel's 4 core.

JTausTX said:   If you're gaming, the i5 3570k is the sweet spot for power versus price. It's $189.99 at Microcenter. Only a bit slower than the 3770k, a good overclocker, and somewhat cheaper. Not to mention that the actual productivity advantages of the i7 (ie hyper-threading) are almost totally useless for gaming.

If price is really tight, you are correct. Save the $40 on the CPU ($229 - 189) and spend that on a better GPU. The GPU is much more important for a dedicated gaming system. By the way, the i5-3570k was on sale with a free motherboard offer at Micro Center a few weeks ago for $169.99.

If price isn't so tight, buy the i7 3770k and still buy the better GPU.

If price is no object, get the i7-3960X instead with a couple GeForce GTX 680s.

But honestly my system is an i7-3770 with an AMD Radeon 7950 and I haven't heard of a game yet that can strain it. A year from now might be a different story though.

FinancialAnalyst said:   DarkScout: You're way, way off there.

I'm questioning if you actually read my post.

Passmark is a great benchmark but you are not reading it correctly. First, the $ per passmark scale is thrown off by the high street prices on the Passmark site. Their price for an i7-3770k is $304.99. As you can see from this post, Micro Center is selling it for $229 which drastically changes the results.

9608/229=41.96. The number I posted was calculated from the sale price. On the link it is actually 31.50 using the retail price.

Ignore the cheap chips, I'm not sure where they came from since they didn't used to be there:

AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core 48.42
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 48.19

Seriously, look at the high end CPU chart I linked again

You mean the first link I posted? I already saw it. Like I stated it came in 29th of all chips and 4th in all single threaded operations.

There are one or two AMD CPUs in the i7-3770k class and they are well over twice the price!

What page are you looking at? The FX-8350 Eight-Core is $40 cheaper. 9155 vs 9608. I'd call that the same class, they're both on the High End page. Actually, that's the first AMD on the page so I'm not seeing where you're seeing the AMD at double the price.

It's not a scam, when we used to have a MC in silicon valley, this was the place to hit for the lowest price retail intel CPU... They will not ship, local pickup only, not sure why and no clue why they can have such a low price on these cpu's...

Dil

DarkScout said:   http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-377...

29th on the top CPU benchmark.

And all of the CPUs rated above it are AT LEAST 55% more expensive.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014