• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Picked up one of the these to pair with some left over parts for an additional Win 7 workstation. Runs fast (scored a 5.9 on Windows performance index). Obviously not a great choice for storage intensive applicatons, but 160GB is plenty for many types of users and this is about as inexpensive as you can get a decent performing SATA drive.

Ends today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148896&...

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Seagate Barracuda 160GB (7.84kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

suited my needs, ty OP

Always beware of refurbished drives. There's a reason they were returned. Often due to failures by the original users.

TY for the warning, Tim. You are right and I'm only giving green b/c it came at the right time. Maybe I should remove that green...?

FWIW, I would normally avoid refurbished HDD's, but needed a cheap drive for a budget system where reliability is not important.

For any people who are building something more substantial, but still on a budget, Newegg has 500gb Samsung HDD's for $50, so that would be a better choice. For people who don't need space or reliability, and are willing to deal with a failure, this seems okay.

I bought some 80GB IDE WD drives from Newegg REFURB for $20 some months ago. No problems yet. Out of the five drives I purchased, three had no bad sectors, and two had up to 15 bad sectors. WDDLG scan came up clean.

You are going to trust a refurbished hard drive to hold potrentially valuable or precious data, just because you save $20. Refurbished = broken + maybe fixed = tragedy.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014