• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.hillspet.com/products/products-special-offers.html

seperate offers for cat and dog food at link.

Member Summary

hills
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Worked fine for other Science Diet cat food as well, the system at least at PETsMART doesn't budge. Of course, YMMV.

Thanks, MC!

Thanks OP 2 3.5 bags of dog food for 84 cents after couipons

buster2 said:   Thanks OP 2 3.5 bags of dog food for 84 cents after couipons

Care to share all of the details? What store? What style food? etc....

Printed 2 coupons and took them down to PETsMART to give buying Science Diet a whirl (I don't think anyone around here carries the Hills Prescription branding).
The coupons worked just fine (no issues with how they rung up) on 2 bags of Science Diet 'Balanced' which were on sale for $7.87. Out the door I paid $3 total for 7lbs of cat food (tax was charged on pre-coupon price). Thanks OP!

HadokenSD said:   Printed 2 coupons and took them down to PETsMART to give buying Science Diet a whirl (I don't think anyone around here carries the Hills Prescription branding).

Veterinarian offices do. It is a PRESCRIPTION food.

Using the $7 Prescription Diet for Hills Science Diet is misuse of the coupon.

Then why does the coupon scan with NO problem? What a shame that the vet's office didn't get a chance to wildly overcharge HadokenSD for their "prescription" food.

peepsiemom said:   Then why does the coupon scan with NO problem? What a shame that the vet's office didn't get a chance to wildly overcharge HadokenSD for their "prescription" food.

A lot of coupons for other products will scan with "no problem," that doesn't make it right.

Vets wildly overcharge for phony "prescription" food. It's legal but that doesn't make it right either.

peepsiemom said:   Vets wildly overcharge for phony "prescription" food. It's legal but that doesn't make it right either.

That is not equivalent to coupon fraud which is illegal. Don't buy the product if you can't pay the price for it or find a place that sells it at the price you are willing to pay. That is not a defense for coupon fraud.

peepsiemom said:   Vets wildly overcharge for phony "prescription" food. It's legal but that doesn't make it right either.

I have multiple family members who are vets, and I can tell you pet food is the product with the lowest margin they sell. Vets just can't get nearly as good of pricing as the big box stores due to volume.

So what they do to compensate is the carry brands that are ONLY available through a Veterinarian. It's a legal way of fair trade pricing which is NOT legal. What's worse is the "Vets" only food is not routinely superior to store bought pet food. Consumer Reports did an expose on pet food years ago that showed that the nutritional content of MOST supermarket pet foods is perfectly good. The foods available only at the Vet are wildly overpriced. That said if your pet has a specific medical need then that's a different issue.

peepsiemom said:   So what they do to compensate is the carry brands that are ONLY available through a Veterinarian. It's a legal way of fair trade pricing which is NOT legal. What's worse is the "Vets" only food is not routinely superior to store bought pet food. Consumer Reports did an expose on pet food years ago that showed that the nutritional content of MOST supermarket pet foods is perfectly good. The foods available only at the Vet are wildly overpriced. That said if your pet has a specific medical need then that's a different issue.

That's what Prescription Diet is. Yes, it's only carried at the vet because it is prescribed for specific medical needs. I don't know of any non-prescription brands that are only carried by vets.

Some Vets CHARGE a fee to write a prescription which would enable the pet owner to buy the prescription meds or food at a lower price from a different vendor. IE, not the Vet.
The Vet is making a large profit on these products. I've called the Veterinary Licensing organization and while they admit to being unhappy with the Vet charging for a prescription, it is legal. Imagine if your MD or DDS charged you a fee to examine and diagnose an infection and offered to sell you the antibiotic. Now imagine that they charged EXTRA to write a prescription. The writing of the scrip is included in the exam and diagnosis fee. But, not with some Vets.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014