• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is an awesome deal on an ultra portable notebook!
Can't call it an Ultrabook, because it uses an AMD processor not Intel, but it is the same as the i5 version, only with an AMD processor. The processor is slower than the i5 but the GPU is way better.
Anyhow:

$499.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details...

-$15.00
3% Cash Back from fatwallet

-$50 Rebate (good till 2/28/13):
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/rebates/TD-8401%20(US).pdf

+$8 shipping
-----------------------------------------

$443 Total

If you want to really juice it up, get the Intel 160GB SSD for $90 too!
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1254732/

Tiger Direct
See Tiger Direct coupons that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Samsung S5 (16.93kB)
Thanks a1an
Disclaimer
Affiliate link in OP
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Not the greatest resolution 1366 x 768

True. But if you want to go up to 1600 x 900 in a Samsung 13.3" it'll cost you $800 for the Series 9:
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMNP900X3DA01US
Also a good deal for an ultralight

I bought one of the Series 5 and it arrived 2 days later by economy ($8)shipping.
It is a sweet little PC for less than $450!
The Intel SSD also cranked it up!
My PCMark7 score went from 1392 to 2458!

I like the matte screen.
Also like the discreet track pad buttons.
Sound is excellent for a laptop!
Only concern is the barrel on the AC adapter is tiny! Hope I don't break it off with my gorilla hands!

If you can find a better 13" 3.5# laptop for less than $450, I'd like to see it.

Also has USB 3.0 port.
Additional ram slot. That is not common on ultra portables these days.
Can be upgraded to 8GB RAM with a 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

The A6-4455M is incredibly slow...even noticable when just using MS Word etc. It might do for your parents, but even after a fresh reformat I the performance is absolutely terrible. I am comparing this to an A6-3400M that I have.

I also have a 17" Toshiba with the A6-3400M. And you're right, it is faster. But it uses a lot more power and I don't think it would be suitable for a laptop that will primarily be used unplugged on an airplane etc.
The A6-4455M uses a lot less power and I have found that I can get 5-6 hours from a single charge with continuous use and this is for a 3.5# laptop. I was on a 6 hour flight earlier this week and it lasted the entire time we were in the air with continual use, work and videos.
The addition of the SSD made a huge difference in the performance, but I did not notice any lag with MS Office before the SSD.

The A6-3400M is rated at TDP of 35 Watts
The A6-4455M is rated at TDP of 17 Watts

It uses half the power and will result in much longer run times. You do give up performance for the low power consumption, but I have not noticed any problems.
I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a desktop replacement, but it is awesome for travel and use outside of the office!

SSD is a must these days when price is below $90 for 120gb SSD
Performance will improve alot when adding SSD drive with window 8
A lot faster than any tablet and more than enough for daily/business work load

My old HP dm1-3020us with Amd e350 1.6 ghz and 180gb SSD loads win8 in 19 seconds
My Intel i5 3570 desktop with similar SSD loads win8 in 11 seconds
After loading win8, I don't see much different in performance when using ms office, vlc for movies,
Spotify for music and chrome for Internet

Of course intel i5 runs 3 times faster while compiling and execute my 5000+ line of c++ or python script
But that's 3 vs 10 minutes. Took me more than 1 week to code 5000+ line

Similar observation on Lightroom 4. Intel is 2x faster (7 vs 18 minute) on 300 pictures batch mode adjustment.
Again I spend 1hr plus to set up the batch processes and I can parallel or multitasks these batch processes
and ssd make you feel less notice on performance. Both machines responds to my inputs quickly
So CPU is not the real issue for daily usage

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014