• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Wireless Thermometer
Disclaimer
I grabbed a couple of these. Not really a HOT DEAL, but this is currently the best price on these shipped I could find.
GREAT for power outage monitoring.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJVU78/ref=oh_details_o00_s...

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

ACU_RITE Wireless Digital Thermometer
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

These were neat in the "olden days"...but since I can now pull up the same info on multiple apps on my phone/tablet/computer (for free)...seems quite unnecessary for stand-alone units in most situations.

please move to cold deals

respdoc said:   These were neat in the "olden days"...but since I can now pull up the same info on multiple apps on my phone/tablet/computer...seems quite unnecessary for stand-alone units in most situations.

Wow. It's FINALLY nice to know soemone with one of those web enabled chest freezers or refridgerators in their home.

Thanks OP for the heads up. My freezer is in the garage and is plugged into a GFCI circuit. One day after a storm the GFCI tripped and I never knwew it till I opened the freezer and had a thusand bux of steak, fish, and ice cream melting away to waste.

This is getting installed at the light switch going to the garage -- the one place that everyone can see it and KNOW if there is an issue.

A huge insurance policy and worth it at thrice the cost.

I know my fridge is only about 3 or 4 years old doesn't have that capability. I can't imaging many other FWers do either?
I found the need for these when our power went out for an extended period of time last year. I wanted to know what the temperature was inside, without opening it, to know whether to turn on my portable generator. Those bad storms in the East reminded me and I found this item. I added it to my Amazon wish list and noticed the price had dropped 25%, so I jumped on it.

I get it, "Cold Deals". Good one pietromoon. I wished I would of thought of that in the OP. Thanks for the laugh!
Glad I could help zapy!

zapy said:   . One day after a storm the GFCI tripped and I never knwew it till I opened the freezer and had a thusand bux of steak, fish, and ice cream melting away to waste.

This is getting installed at the light switch going to the garage -- the one place that everyone can see it and KNOW if there is an issue.

In that case...save yourself some money and go even more "old school":

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-3507-Temp-Refrigerator-Freezer-Ther...

Good thing for you...it works without batteries/power.

respdoc said:   zapy said:   . One day after a storm the GFCI tripped and I never knwew it till I opened the freezer and had a thusand bux of steak, fish, and ice cream melting away to waste.

In that case...save yourself some money and go even more "old school":
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-3507-Temp-Refrigerator-Freezer-Ther...

Good thing for you...it works without batteries/power.

The problem with the old school solution is it requires opening the fridge to see the temperature and the old school method does not proactively give you an alarm. Seems like a good product also for someone with an older fridge that is concerned if it is properly cooling or freezing their food.

MADealirrific said:   

The problem with the old school solution is it requires opening the fridge to see the temperature and the old school method does not proactively give you an alarm. Seems like a good product also for someone with an older fridge that is concerned if it is properly cooling or freezing their food.

Sad when noobs give red just for a difference in opinion. As noted, your chance of failure due to it being 1) electronic and 2) being run on batteries...is quite a bit greater than a mechanical type one. Minus the scenario of the guy that didn't check it after a major outage...I would go mechanical and setup the use of backup power proactively if you are expecting any great length of power loss.

You can always do both, as I will, once it arrives.

Thanks OP for the post. I guess I need to buy one of these as we have an older frig/freezer in the garage - best to be warned if frig is going to fail. In 4one. Green to you for the deal.

Thanks OP. In 4 1

I'm glad the price is still holding. I just got shipment notification on the order I placed.

respdoc said:   MADealirrific said:   

Sad when noobs give red just for a difference in opinion. As noted, your chance of failure due to it being 1) electronic and 2) being run on batteries...is quite a bit greater than a mechanical type one. Minus the scenario of the guy that didn't check it after a major outage...I would go mechanical and setup the use of backup power proactively if you are expecting any great length of power loss.

You never know how long a power outage can be. Once you open that door once, the chance of food spoiling dramatically increases. The cost of the wireless thermometer would easily be covered by one occurrence. Also, built-in refrigerator thermometers are often not as accurate as a stand alone thermometer, like what respdoc suggested. I'd suggest getting one or the other if you don't have one already.

Only con of the wireless thermometer is that I know when I really need to know the temp, the batteries will have gone dead, but that is more my luck than anything.

I don't see why this wireless model should be any less accurate than a cheap mechanical one. However, one thing the mechanical one can't show is min / max information. This would be very useful if you're away for a few days or weeks and the house suffers a power outage of unknown duration. The min / max would let you know instantly if the outage was long enough for the temperatures to get to unsuitable levels.

KuoH

MeIsCheap said:   You never know how long a power outage can be. Once you open that door once, the chance of food spoiling dramatically increases. The cost of the wireless thermometer would easily be covered by one occurrence. Also, refrigerator thermometers are often not as accurate as a stand alone thermometer, like what respdoc suggested.

KuoH said:   I don't see why this wireless model should be any less accurate than a cheap mechanical one. However, one thing the mechanical one can't show is min / max information. This would be very useful if you're away for a few days or weeks and the house suffers a power outage of unknown duration. The min / max would let you know instantly if the outage was long enough for the temperatures to get to unsuitable levels.

KuoH

MeIsCheap said:   You never know how long a power outage can be. Once you open that door once, the chance of food spoiling dramatically increases. The cost of the wireless thermometer would easily be covered by one occurrence. Also, refrigerator thermometers are often not as accurate as a stand alone thermometer, like what respdoc suggested.

I am referring to the inaccuracy of the one built into the fridge, not an after-market. The mechanical one is highly suggested to have if nothing else. Sorry, if my post wasn't clear. added 'built-in' to the previous post

Received mine yesterday. I'm amazed at the temperature swings in the various cycles of the fridge and freezer.
It's pretty cool though.

Make sure the probe is not too near the air outlets or door, and put it just below the top level of the food items if it's a chest freezer. That way it won't be affected as much by transient changes when the door is opened.

KuoH

TeamAllen said:   I'm amazed at the temperature swings in the various cycles of the fridge and freezer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014