• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://dreamhost.com/promo/superfeb100

Looks like the promotion is good through February.

This is better than previous DreamHost sponsored promotions. Good deal for people looking for a solid unlimited provider.

Details:
  • 1 Year Shared Hosting Plan

• UNLIMITED Bandwidth

• UNLIMITED Disk Space

• UNLIMITED MySQL databases

• UNLIMITED Email

• FREE Domain registration

Total price comes out to ~$19.

Also, it is important to note that this is not one of the referral codes that you can make with DreamHost. It is a $100 off DreamHost special.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Sorry, overexcited with my first deal post here >.< I'll relax.

JShark (Feb. 22, 2013 @ 5:50p) |

I don't mean to bump, but this is the last few hours on this deal (since I found out it expires midnight PST). Just a he... (more)

JShark (Feb. 28, 2013 @ 10:28p) |

Actually, the same url is still active, calling it "Super March $100 Savings!". Looks like the deal is alive.

SlimTim (Mar. 17, 2013 @ 9:54a) |

Don't put user codes here...

?How much after the first year

zapy said:   ?How much after the first year

If it's $100 off...

I've been happy with DH.

I've been happy so far as well. Perfect for me because I work on a lot of different projects on different domains.

Also, yes this is only for one year, but even at regular price it's not a bad deal for unlimited. Regardless, you can switch away after a year if you want to...

Well duh..... their site is a little short on info. Like how many domains i can have. Is the free one ok to be a transferred domain?

It looks like it is normally $8.95 a month and it does include unlimited domains. As for them springing for a transferred domain, not sure, but I would think it wouldn't matter.

You can have unlimited domains with this plan. And I'm pretty sure it can be a transferred domain...

Had them for 7 years now, been really happy, can't beat it .

Wow 7 years? That's crazy. Any issues? Looking to see how long I want to stay with them.

I used them for the past year, right after they got hacked and all of their customers passwords were compromised. I was really confused how to FTP into my server, it wasn't clear at all and took a lot of aggravation to figure out. BTW, i'm no FTP or computer newbie. The whole year I had them I only noticed they were down for a couple days. So aside from a lack of support they were good, fast speeds, stored a lot of video clips for clients on my website. For some reason they renewed my .com domain even though I set My Domain to expire and closed my account, I think it might've had something to do with the promotion or something. Reason I canceled is i'm too cheap to pay $10 a month for webhosting; i'm not made of money.

cruncher69 said:   I used them for the past year, right after they got hacked and all of their customers passwords were compromised. I was really confused how to FTP into my server, it wasn't clear at all and took a lot of aggravation to figure out. BTW, i'm no FTP or computer newbie. The whole year I had them I only noticed they were down for a couple days. So aside from a lack of support they were good, fast speeds, stored a lot of video clips for clients on my website. For some reason they renewed my .com domain even though I set My Domain to expire and closed my account, I think it might've had something to do with the promotion or something. Reason I canceled is i'm too cheap to pay $10 a month for webhosting; i'm not made of money.
Yeah, but even still, $19 for a year of unlimited hosting AND a free domain is a great deal.

JShark said:   Wow 7 years? That's crazy. Any issues? Looking to see how long I want to stay with them.

They have blips here and there, issues like any other provider but they are pretty quick to resolve them. I have xymon monitoring my sites and for the past 576 days they've had 99.77 availability, thats including my providers blips. Since they are so big they have a nice wiki that documents setting most everything up. If you are a self starter they are great. If you are one of those people that wants to pick up the phone every time you can't figure something out, you are going to hate them.

Depends on how much you need. If you only need 3 web pages and a blog, gandi.net provides it for $18/year with their domain registration. Dreamhost if you've got a bigger site and gobble up lots of bandwidth.

Used both for a decade, both are responsive, do a good job at answering questions and helping you out, making sure their service runs 24/7, etc. Wouldn't have an issue recommending either to those that need web/DNS services.

---hosting in general

Keep in mind that besides these, there are cheaper hosts out there along with Dynamic DNS sites where you can setup a server at home and connect that to the internet as a server (assuming you're assigned a dynamic IP - doesn't apply to fixed where you can simply setup and go).

Free hosts like wordpress.com for blogs, google sites for personal use, etc. exist as well - there are options for pointing a domain name to them.

adorable said:   Depends on how much you need. If you only need 3 web pages and a blog, gandi.net provides it for $18/year with their domain registration. Dreamhost if you've got a bigger site and gobble up lots of bandwidth.

Used both for a decade, both are responsive, do a good job at answering questions and helping you out, making sure their service runs 24/7, etc. Wouldn't have an issue recommending either to those that need web/DNS services.

---hosting in general

Keep in mind that besides these, there are cheaper hosts out there along with Dynamic DNS sites where you can setup a server at home and connect that to the internet as a server (assuming you're assigned a dynamic IP - doesn't apply to fixed where you can simply setup and go).

Free hosts like wordpress.com for blogs, google sites for personal use, etc. exist as well - there are options for pointing a domain name to them.

Yeah, it all depends on your needs I guess. DreamHost was great for me with the no limitations aspect. Thanks for sharing the info.

wondering if it's a good idea to replace Amazon ec2 with this. we are running around 10TB/month. this would ease the bill but not sure how reliable they are. :T

ernie334 said:   wondering if it's a good idea to replace Amazon ec2 with this. we are running around 10TB/month. this would ease the bill but not sure how reliable they are. :T
At $19 with a free domain, it might be worth a shot. It depends on how much you would save I guess. You can always switch off of it if it doesn't work out. As far as reliability goes, I haven't had a problem yet with them and yakky posted in this thread that he got 99.77% uptime over the past couple of years which is pretty good.

ernie334 said:   wondering if it's a good idea to replace Amazon ec2 with this. we are running around 10TB/month. this would ease the bill but not sure how reliable they are. :T

One thing to note is this is a shared environment; if you are doing 10TB/mo on EC2 I guess you are running a reserved instance which is quite different in terms of what resources are available. Additionally, upgrading the hardware on EC2 is easy as you can backup your AMI and move it to a different instant type pretty quickly. With Dreamhost there is no way to do that with shared hosting.

Now, that being said I've had dreamhost for 2 years now and use them to host my small pet projects or customer work before I bother with setting up EC2 for production deploys and they have been fantastic. The ability to host unlimited domains has been a real life saver but as I said, I use it mostly for a dev/qa setup and use EC2 for all production deploys.

munkyxtc said:   ernie334 said:   wondering if it's a good idea to replace Amazon ec2 with this. we are running around 10TB/month. this would ease the bill but not sure how reliable they are. :T

One thing to note is this is a shared environment; if you are doing 10TB/mo on EC2 I guess you are running a reserved instance which is quite different in terms of what resources are available. Additionally, upgrading the hardware on EC2 is easy as you can backup your AMI and move it to a different instant type pretty quickly. With Dreamhost there is no way to do that with shared hosting.

Now, that being said I've had dreamhost for 2 years now and use them to host my small pet projects or customer work before I bother with setting up EC2 for production deploys and they have been fantastic. The ability to host unlimited domains has been a real life saver but as I said, I use it mostly for a dev/qa setup and use EC2 for all production deploys.

Agree, I wouldn't use their basic shared hosting for anything that was making me money.

yakky said:   munkyxtc said:   ernie334 said:   wondering if it's a good idea to replace Amazon ec2 with this. we are running around 10TB/month. this would ease the bill but not sure how reliable they are. :T

Agree, I wouldn't use their basic shared hosting for anything that was making me money.

Yeah, the unlimited shared is definitely good for small projects and such, but if you are doing something significant, you aren't going to find something as cheap as this. Shared plans are ideal for small web sites, or sites that don't require a lot of computing power, but if you really want performance for such a large bandwidth, you are definitely going to have to spend more.

Thanks, needed another domain and this was worth a try.

Can we do it without the domain? I just want to transfer another domain over to them.

Yep, signup asked if you wanted a new domain or transfer an existing one.

Of course you can transfer a domain. Actually, you can probably get a free one and then transfer your other one in later.

Does this plan support Python and Django?

dotnetnoob said:   Does this plan support Python and Django?
I believe so. Here are the wiki pages:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Django
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Python

Had an issue with signup, as account was stuck in "account pending" status. One email to support and they responded very quickly and fixed the issue.

drodge said:   Had an issue with signup, as account was stuck in "account pending" status. One email to support and they responded very quickly and fixed the issue.
Awesome! Glad it worked out.

If anyone else has trouble or questions, let me know, as I am currently using DreamHost and figuring things out.

Do they allow transferring of domains?

That was already answered in the thread, but yes they allow transfers.

Note they don't have cPanel, if that matters to you. That said they were my first hosting account (still have some domains there) and they are decent.

steve1jr said:   Note they don't have cPanel, if that matters to you. That said they were my first hosting account (still have some domains there) and they are decent.
No cPanel, but the panel they have is fairly intuitive. I picked it up easily.

In for this hosting thanks

pimpsaucekrew said:   In for this hosting thanks
Enjoy! No problem.

Five days left guys; get this hosting + domain while you can >.<

Polish Dreamer, is that you?!

There's no need to keep bumping the thread.

slickdeal45 said:   Polish Dreamer, is that you?!

There's no need to keep bumping the thread.

Sorry, overexcited with my first deal post here >.< I'll relax.

I don't mean to bump, but this is the last few hours on this deal (since I found out it expires midnight PST). Just a heads up! That's all.

Actually, the same url is still active, calling it "Super March $100 Savings!". Looks like the deal is alive.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014