Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Topsy Turvy Upside Down Tomato Planter
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts

bestdealseaker (Feb. 21, 2013 @ 1:04a) |

I've used these topsy turvy planters for the last 4 years and they work great. Every year I plant two tomato plants -- ... (more)

kimi (Feb. 21, 2013 @ 10:33a) |

These can also be found at the Dollar Tree for $1.

MikeGroovy (Feb. 22, 2013 @ 8:31p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

thx! got 6

dup post

Tried giving this as a gift to some of my friends. They refused to take it. Nice price though. I bought it for a much higher price (as seen on TV stuff).

StinkPot said:   Tried giving this as a gift to some of my friends. They refused to take it. Nice price though. I bought it for a much higher price (as seen on TV stuff).

Indian Takers !!

in for 5

Big Lots $1.50 both Strawberry and Tomato.

^^^this, has been since at least this time last year. This thing also suck. I have tried them, the problem is the tomato plant wants to grow up to to the sun, so it does not hang, it bands up the side and grows up, then grows tomatoes, gets heavy, and snaps. I would almost just put it flat on the ground once full of dirt and plant the seeds on the top, and use it as a cheap pot.

Thanks...bought some topsy turveys and some other stuff i needed..lol

All you get is a bag, sponge, and wire. You add plant and soil, should be 1.99. Consumer Reports did not rate them well.

jimbocobb said:   StinkPot said:   Tried giving this as a gift to some of my friends. They refused to take it. Nice price though. I bought it for a much higher price (as seen on TV stuff).

Indian Takers !!

Indians said no. Americans took it!

Practically useless item. Uses lots of water that will literally pour through, so watch where you put them. Also the sides deteriorate in the sun, so after a few months they literally disintegrate.

Oh your neighbors will love these.

At $1.99 it's still a waste of money..

DO NOT BUY THIS!

I tried the Strawberry one with no good results; I got 1 strawberry all season. However, a gardener friend of mine uses them with success. She grows tomatoes, strawberries and peppers with them and gets a good harvest. She tends them everyday unlike my once a week.

Not sure if it matters cause the seeds should be good for years, but the ones at Big Lots say they expired last year.RemusGH said:   Big Lots $1.50 both Strawberry and Tomato.

they have these at 99 Cents Only and no one buys them

The inventor made his quick million(s) on suckers years ago

I have seen several people with these and I never saw a good turnout on any of them.

However, if I lived in an area where there is nowhere to grow things, I would try this.

I wonder if it would work OK with Cherry tomato plants since they are not as heavy.

bestdealseaker said:   I wonder if it would work OK with Cherry tomato plants since they are not as heavy.

Thats what I had in it, it still grows up then wants to fall down and bends/snaps/mutates the stems. Also it will stain your sidewalk because the water runs down all the time. Sure you cant flood the plant, but it will stain the sidewalk.

How about putting them on stakes over your lawn instead of your sidewalk? The runoff would help to feed your lawn instead of staining your sidewalk.

I've used these topsy turvy planters for the last 4 years and they work great. Every year I plant two tomato plants -- one cherry and another variety. (I've tried roma, celebrity, and beefsteak.) Although all the plants grew and produced tomatoes, the cherry tomato plant always produces the best results. The roma plant is a little too compact for air/sun to get through.

I've never had a problem with branches breaking. As the branches get long (and start to touch the ground) I tie the branches up to the TT hanging wire. And I water frequently -- every day or at least every other day.

I think I can reuse last years planter, but I'll probably order a couple just in case.

These can also be found at the Dollar Tree for $1.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014