rated:

Member Summary

Cam (42.19kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
He is a new member BAZINGA him.

tightpapa (Mar. 03, 2013 @ 4:26p) |

you don't give a red to someone who's "due diligence" points everyone to an inferior camera that costs 2-3x more than be... (more)

SamFreedom69 (Mar. 06, 2013 @ 8:46a) |

All I can say is quality is a consideration to me.

tightpapa (Mar. 17, 2013 @ 2:01p) |

tightpapa said:   Get your own das cam for $99 at:

das cam? It's German?

Protip: Some insurance companies give a discount if you have a qualifying dash cam.

tedteddy said:   Protip: Some insurance companies give a discount if you have a qualifying dash cam.

That's Kool

these are like $25 on the chinese sites. Literally the same looking junk? What's up with that? Extra warranty? Faster ship? Easier RMA?

rigor said:   these are like $25 on the chinese sites. Literally the same looking junk? What's up with that? Extra warranty? Faster ship? Easier RMA?

I was thinking the price was a bit high too. KK has millions of listeners/fans (she is America's digital goddess!) so her reputation has some earning power.

Yup, all shapes and sizes at DX for much less and with more features, like GPS logging, rear cam and 1080p.

http://dx.com/c/car-accessories-799/car-alarm-security-709/car-d...

KuoH

exbat said:   I was thinking the price was a bit high too.

ViveLeRoi said:   tightpapa said:   Get your own das cam for $99 at:

das cam? It's German?

Nice - probably Chinese/German LOL

Sorry for das error! I cna't tpye ethier.

KuoH said:   Yup, all shapes and sizes at DX for much less and with more features, like GPS logging, rear cam and 1080p.

http://dx.com/c/car-accessories-799/car-alarm-security-709/car-d...

KuoH

exbat said:   I was thinking the price was a bit high too.

I need the rear cam I because I have been rear ended 5 times in the last 6 years - last one buy a motor scooter!!!

FWF discussion (now archived) about dashcams from last year.

Note 2. Car mount. Free Daily Roads App.

$0 (assuming you have a cellphone. Any Android will do.)

I love how the asteroid has generated American interest all of a sudden. I was hooked years ago after visiting LiveLeak.

Most police will confiscate this if you try to record them
Links to many cases below
http://www.reddit.com/r/Police_v_Video
If you want to know why you cannot record the police, ask Kelly Thomas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QXx9ZXqii4
If you do wish to record a police stop, the ACLU has a nice free app for this
http://www.aclu-nj.org/yourrights/the-app-place/

Having a dash cam with a lcd display can really be helpful. This way you can show the cops what happened if you are in an accident. Instant video proof can be really helpful at the scene of the accident to prove you were not at fault.

The $40 one I got off Amazon a few weeks ago looks identical to this. It's the same technology I am guessing. The features her website is describing look identical to mine.

Funny it's $57 at the moment.. Prices are flying around on these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067XVNTG/ref=oh_details_o00_s...

These are big in Russia. Seems like every car over there has a cam. Just look on YouTube.

coolbreeze said:   Note 2. Car mount. Free Daily Roads App.

I love how the asteroid has generated American interest all of a sudden. I was hooked years ago after visiting LiveLeak.

I've got windshield mounts for several of my phones, been using an old Sprint evo 4g for the last year, getting ready to switch to my htc one v

The seller has had this camera for this same price on Amazon plus S&H since around Thanksgiving. There are several other cameras which appear similar or identical (CarCam) as rigor noted as low as $25 on Amazon & eBay. How this is any kind of deal escapes me.

GREEN FOR YOU.

Was looking at buying a Dash Cam, but FREE and S3 (w/Car Mount), is MUCH better.

Sounds to me like a towed trailer with 55 gallon water barrels would be more useful for you than a dash cam.

KuoH

tightpapa said:   I need the rear cam I because I have been rear ended 5 times in the last 6 years - last one buy a motor scooter!!!

I use one in my car, not the one listed but one that's 1080p.
Looking at the specs for KK's model, its practically useless at 640x480 resolution. You can make out shapes and such, but good luck on license plates. These are the $25-40 models off eBay.
If you are looking to buy one one, go at least 720p and even better if you can find one that does 60 frames per minute. LCD is must for replay and aiming. Forget the "night vision" models. The infrared just bounces right off your windshield and do you really believe it will extend out beyond what your headlights can do?
When searching for mine, I had to find one with auto on and off. A must have as its set it and forget it. Don't forget to get a decent speed memory card if you are going the HD route.
my $0.02

neverl8 said:   I use one in my car, not the one listed but one that's 1080p.
Looking at the specs for KK's model, its practically useless at 640x480 resolution. You can make out shapes and such, but good luck on license plates. These are the $25-40 models off eBay.
If you are looking to buy one one, go at least 720p and even better if you can find one that does 60 frames per minute. LCD is must for replay and aiming. Forget the "night vision" models. The infrared just bounces right off your windshield and do you really believe it will extend out beyond what your headlights can do?
When searching for mine, I had to find one with auto on and off. A must have as its set it and forget it. Don't forget to get a decent speed memory card if you are going the HD route.
my $0.02

This is somewhat dependent on how your car's cigarette lighter works. On my 95 Audi, the cigarette lighter is always on.. so I have to plug it in when I get in. Once you plug it in, it automatically starts recording.. On the 06 GTO, the cigarette lighter is engaged by the ignition.. so as you said, set it and forget it. YMMV depending on how your cigarette lighter works in your car.

In my state, it's technically illegal to mount it on the windshield. I actually asked a cop about this when I bought it. Good luck keeping this suctioned to a dash when it's -20F. Anyone know of any suction cups that can withstand extreme cold?

tightpapa said:   I need the rear cam I because I have been rear ended 5 times in the last 6 years - last one buy a motor scooter!!!

tight papa getting rear ended???

How much FW cash does Kimmy part with?

Could someone recommend a good dual DVR? or point me to some places with good reviews and comparisons? I'd like to get one with a remotely-mounted rear cam, 720p or better, good night vision, and efficient codec. Thanks.

GeorgiaBulldawg said:   Having a dash cam with a lcd display can really be helpful. This way you can show the cops what happened if you are in an accident. Instant video proof can be really helpful at the scene of the accident to prove you were not at fault.

Having a dashcam can also be the nail in your coffin if you are at fault in any way.

Save $40 by buying this one...

http://dx.com/p/h-264-720p-wide-angle-6-led-night-viewing-digita...

One of the best sub-$100 car DVRs available. True HD.
This page will give you some more good info & sample videos of it is action.

http://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-027-720p/

The problem with most cheapo DVRs is that they are SD resolution interpolated to be HD. Although there is a video on the KK page, I didn't see any actual sample video clips from the camera itself. Everything was filmed through another video camera, including the DVR screen itself.

I don't think there are any sub-$100 DVR that can clearly image a license plate. If there are, please let us know.

Techmoan on youtube does a great job reviewing dash cams

https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

Actually, many if not most of the HD ones now are real HD. Check the sample videos for the ones on DX. What most people have to understand is that the front camera is usually a wide angle, which causes everything to appear much farther away, so while you might be able to read the plates at 150 feet by eye, the camera has to get much closer before it can be resolved. I got this one for my parents last year and you can read license plates on it just fine. If you look at the third video, you can see the difference between the narrow and wide angle lenses.

http://dx.com/p/720p-dual-lens-2-ch-vehicle-car-digital-dvr-camcorder-w-g-sensor-tf-mini-hdmi-2-7-lcd-107158

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, because the plate will be fully visible just before the moment of impact even if you only have an SD model.

KuoH

harlock001 said:   I don't think there are any sub-$100 DVR that can clearly image a license plate. If there are, please let us know.

The cell phone solution is not free. You need to have a smartphone and the car mount and to make it useful, you have to leave your phone attached to the windshield whenever the car is in motion, you have to put it up there and take it down all the time, and you need to activate the software every time you want to use it. I find that I like having my phone easily accessible in the car for playing music, checking texts when I'm stopped, etc. When you can get a dedicated dashcam setup for fifty bucks or so, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to deal with the complications of using a smartphone.

LLLosingit said:   GeorgiaBulldawg said:   Having a dash cam with a lcd display can really be helpful. This way you can show the cops what happened if you are in an accident. Instant video proof can be really helpful at the scene of the accident to prove you were not at fault.

Having a dashcam can also be the nail in your coffin if you are at fault in any way.

In that case you delete the footage.

miqie said:   These are big in Russia. Seems like every car over there has a cam. Just look on YouTube.

The wide cam usage in Russia was mentioned in the reports about the meteorite - and was how there were so many people filming the flameout from their cars.

jnheinz said:   neverl8 said:   I use one in my car, not the one listed but one that's 1080p.
my $0.02

This is somewhat dependent on how your car's cigarette lighter works. On my 95 Audi, the cigarette lighter is always on.. so I have to plug it in when I get in. Once you plug it in, it automatically starts recording.. On the 06 GTO, the cigarette lighter is engaged by the ignition.. so as you said, set it and forget it. YMMV depending on how your cigarette lighter works in your car.

In my state, it's technically illegal to mount it on the windshield. I actually asked a cop about this when I bought it. Good luck keeping this suctioned to a dash when it's -20F. Anyone know of any suction cups that can withstand extreme cold?

-20 degrees??? You looking for one to mount to your snowmobile or sleigh? Santa?

tooloud said:   coolbreeze said:   Note 2. Car mount. Free Daily Roads App.

The cell phone solution is not free. You need to have a smartphone and the car mount and to make it useful, you have to leave your phone attached to the windshield whenever the car is in motion, you have to put it up there and take it down all the time, and you need to activate the software every time you want to use it. I find that I like having my phone easily accessible in the car for playing music, checking texts when I'm stopped, etc. When you can get a dedicated dashcam setup for fifty bucks or so, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to deal with the complications of using a smartphone.
seriously? This is fatwallet , we buy stuff we don't need because is at a price we can't refuse. And ill bet there are more like kme that have at least 1 extra smartphone laying around that they can buy a windshield mount for for just a few dollars on eBay. I bought 5 Virgin Mobile kyocera rise phones a few weeks ago at target for $30 ea. And I'm sure there are many more like me th did the same!

yesidonoitall said:   LLLosingit said:   GeorgiaBulldawg said:   Having a dash cam with a lcd display can really be helpful. This way you can show the cops what happened if you are in an accident. Instant video proof can be really helpful at the scene of the accident to prove you were not at fault.

tampering with evidence? that'll win over the judge.

merkurfan said:   yesidonoitall said:   LLLosingit said:   GeorgiaBulldawg said:   Having a dash cam with a lcd display can really be helpful. This way you can show the cops what happened if you are in an accident. Instant video proof can be really helpful at the scene of the accident to prove you were not at fault.

tampering with evidence? that'll win over the judge.

what evidence - the camera is mounted for reasons other than video recording (unless of course you are not at fault) what they don't know won't hurt them!

And of course, a simple piece of recovery software can retrieve most deleted files. A file system doesn't generally remove a file when a user deletes it, but just marks the space available and removes the file entry from the table of files.

In other words, you won't help yourself by deleting a file. You'll only make yourself look very, very bad. Depending on your state laws, you may end up with quite a bit more pain, too.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. I had been thinking I need one of the dash cams for awhile since I have been getting hit so much of late. I had looked at a few but the more I read the more I thought I would like to get the FW community's comments on this. I did a search for dash an got nothing. (*so special thanks for posting the archived topic), I tried the cell phone since I have a holder for it - but sometimes I forget to turn on the camera and sometimes I forget to put it in the holder. So that appears to be to much trouble for me. That is just my personal view.

PS: I have not posted that much here but I was just curious why this thread got so many reds???? I thought this contained some very good perspectives and ideas?

tightpapa said:   PS: I have not posted that much here but I was just curious why this thread got so many reds????
Did you actually read through the thread? Many posts pointed to similar cams for less money and/or better cams.

yoregano said:   tightpapa said:   PS: I have not posted that much here but I was just curious why this thread got so many reds????
Did you actually read through the thread? Many posts pointed to similar cams for less money and/or better cams.

Many times I have seen posts on here that I could get the product discussed cheaper? But I don't give them red because of that.

Thanks
Tightpapa

Skipping 10 Messages...
All I can say is quality is a consideration to me.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014