• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Republic Wireless now has 2 options for new subscribers:

1. New option: Motorola Defy XT for $99, with a monthly service charge of $29 for their unlimited use plan

2. Current offer: Motorola Defy XT for $249, with a monthly service charge of $19 for their unlimited use plan

Bonus: Buy the Defy XT, and get $50 Google Play credit. Good through March 18.

Unlimited data, talk and text
No contracts, no overages
Risk-free 30-day guarantee

Member Summary

Motorola Defy XT (21.93kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Don't forget the $50 in free Google Play credit, so the phone is really $249-$50 = $199. $199, which would be "penciled ... (more)

greling (Apr. 10, 2013 @ 11:13a) |

This promotion actually expired last month.

azs1 (Apr. 10, 2013 @ 11:17a) |

I posted about that yesterday (here) as well: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1237781/?newest=1#last

It's a ver... (more)

azs1 (Apr. 10, 2013 @ 11:26a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

I have this for over 6 months. It is my first smartphone and the DEFY uses the Gingerbread OS (very old version cannot upgrade to ICS But as for my mobile phone $ 23.99 month after all the taxes (Florida), I am happy with it. My first phone with GPS and using Google navigation is excellent. The cellular is 3G but make sure if you do order it that you get the dual band Defy (I think thy only sell dual band now) so if 3G is bad, it drops and uses I believe the 900 mghz band. Connecting to my router at home works fine for calls.

Since it is the Gingerbread version, you cannot install Firefox or Google Chrome browser from the play store.

great service. great prices I love the phone. only thing is not a great primary phone option because if phone breaks till you get them to service it(motorola) will take you a month and you can only use that phone on your account. otherwise phone was great when I traveled abroad I just connected to wifi and was able to call direct to usa(my regular phone number showed up on caller id!)

I'm still rolling with the original LG.

It suck big time but they haven't charged me a monthly fee in a long LONG time and I still have several months before they cut service off and I'm forced to either upgrade to the Motorola or go elsewhere.
Free service makes this deal suck a lot less. Okay, a little less.

I am an Republic Wireless subscriber and love the phone. If you're looking for an iPhone, forget it, but if you're looking for a really good unlimited service for $20/month, this is it. Very happy I cut the Verizon cord and am saving a lot of $$$'s.

Free service for those with the Optimus will run a few more months (early June?), and that is a nice perk for early adopters. A week ago I decided to take advantage of the free upgrade to the single-band Defy. There is no charge for the upgrade, but they will resume billing you monthly for service at the $19 rate. I think this offer is good until early March. If you plan to upgrade to the single-band Defy, don't miss this opportunity.

The Defy seems to be a worthwhile upgrade. Rapid battery discharge was becoming an issue with my Optimus. The defy is performing much better than the Optimus did when new.

how does roaming work with them?

What is preventing me from keeping the wifi radio off?

Can you flash custom roms with this?

emmd2001 said:   how does roaming work with them?

RW uses Sprint 3G network if WiFi is not available, so it will depend on the local Sprint availability. Both a single-band Defy and a dual-band Defy smartphone have been supplied to their customers, with the latter having much greater coverage. It is not seamless when a hand-off is involved (i.e. going from WiFi to cellular during a call), and they continue to work on improving that aspect of their service offering.

EriCCirE said:   What is preventing me from keeping the wifi radio off?

If you mean a situation where you do not use WiFi at all, and only use the cell service, you may find your service terminated. Their business model depends on users relying on WiFi for a good part of their use. They do track use and provide some indicators of the ratio of WiFi to cell. The original T&Cs had explicit boundaries, but this was modified as they rolled out the service and found out what the actual usage patterns were like. However, in the end, RW still has to make sure lots of traffic goes through WiFi to be profitable and expand, so abusers might not stay around long.

EriCCirE said:   Can you flash custom roms with this?

I do not believe you can. However, I am not an expert in this area. Best recommendation is to use the phone as it is provisioned.

would the phone be able to connect to the starbucks wifi without going to the I AGREE page?

LvBrknHrt said:   would the phone be able to connect to the starbucks wifi without going to the I AGREE page?

There is an app for that in the Play store "Starbucks Wifi Auto Login" but I still wouldn't go with this deal, Sprint 3G is nothing like 3G from the other providers it is far more comparable to EDGE. T-Mobile's 3G for example routinely tests faster than Sprint's 4G (which this phone cannot access). Having said that, Sprint 3G is, against all odds, actually capable of Google Navigation and streaming Pandora. Browsing the web is miserable, not because of the throughput, but because of the latency, which is typically > 1000ms. Streaming a Youtube video is practically impossible.

There is an old joke that Sprint doesn't have data caps because it wouldn't be possible to reach a reasonable cap in 30 days anyway.

To be clear, flashing ROMs on this device is pretty useless.

For one, you will get kicked off if you don't use Republic's backed-in-ROM apps. Those apps route calls via VoIP when possible over Wi-Fi, automatically. They also aggressively force Wi-Fi whenever available.

The Defy XT is a device Motorola made way too many of and the second-tier carriers and MVNOs didn't want. To save the stock from rotting, Republic and Motorola teamed up and salvaged the overstock for their service.

You can't upgrade this device to Android 4. That's one of the main reasons why this is cheap for Republic to use. Republic can't afford to offer an Android 4 device today.

In the end, there are better choices for most FWers. Combine a Page Plus cellular $12 plan and T-Mobile's 5 GB / 100 plan. Your bill is then $42/month, and that drives two phones with 300+ voice minutes, 250 text messages, and 5 GB of 4G HSPA+ data... on whatever devices you want. You can then use a Nexus 4 and not live in a three-year-old phone world. Plus you have a Verizon spare phone on Page Plus that gives you amazing CDMA coverage nationwide, something a Defy XT on Sprint/Republic can't do.

asuka said:   To be clear, flashing ROMs on this device is pretty useless.

For one, you will get kicked off if you don't use Republic's backed-in-ROM apps. Those apps route calls via VoIP when possible over Wi-Fi, automatically. They also aggressively force Wi-Fi whenever available.

The Defy XT is a device Motorola made way too many of and the second-tier carriers and MVNOs didn't want. To save the stock from rotting, Republic and Motorola teamed up and salvaged the overstock for their service.

You can't upgrade this device to Android 4. That's one of the main reasons why this is cheap for Republic to use. Republic can't afford to offer an Android 4 device today.

In the end, there are better choices for most FWers. Combine a Page Plus cellular $12 plan and T-Mobile's 5 GB / 100 plan. Your bill is then $42/month, and that drives two phones with 300+ voice minutes, 250 text messages, and 5 GB of 4G HSPA+ data... on whatever devices you want. You can then use a Nexus 4 and not live in a three-year-old phone world. Plus you have a Verizon spare phone on Page Plus that gives you amazing CDMA coverage nationwide, something a Defy XT on Sprint/Republic can't do.


I'm not sure I read that right but did you just advocate carrying 2 phones for $42/month?

i think so KYBOSH

KYBOSH said:   asuka said:   To be clear, flashing ROMs on this device is pretty useless.

For one, you will get kicked off if you don't use Republic's backed-in-ROM apps. Those apps route calls via VoIP when possible over Wi-Fi, automatically. They also aggressively force Wi-Fi whenever available.

The Defy XT is a device Motorola made way too many of and the second-tier carriers and MVNOs didn't want. To save the stock from rotting, Republic and Motorola teamed up and salvaged the overstock for their service.

You can't upgrade this device to Android 4. That's one of the main reasons why this is cheap for Republic to use. Republic can't afford to offer an Android 4 device today.

In the end, there are better choices for most FWers. Combine a Page Plus cellular $12 plan and T-Mobile's 5 GB / 100 plan. Your bill is then $42/month, and that drives two phones with 300+ voice minutes, 250 text messages, and 5 GB of 4G HSPA+ data... on whatever devices you want. You can then use a Nexus 4 and not live in a three-year-old phone world. Plus you have a Verizon spare phone on Page Plus that gives you amazing CDMA coverage nationwide, something a Defy XT on Sprint/Republic can't do.


I'm not sure I read that right but did you just advocate carrying 2 phones for $42/month?


It's a far better value than paying $30/month for Sprint throttled EVDO and a Gingerbread phone that can't run Android 4, ever. You get Verizon's network (via Page Plus) for voice and T-Mobile's for 5 GB of 4G data, with unlimited 2G data afterwards. $12 Page Plus (voice) + $30 T-Mobile (data) = $42

It's only $13/month more than the $29 Republic plan, and far, far better.

I'm far from alone in that combo.

LvBrknHrt said:   i think so KYBOSH

So do I. But was that worth a post, really?

Say I ignore the sage advice and purchase the Defy XT for $99. Am I tied to the $29/mo plan from then on, or can I revert to the $19 (provided I want to stick with Republic)?

generique said:   Say I ignore the sage advice and purchase the Defy XT for $99. Am I tied to the $29/mo plan from then on, or can I revert to the $19 (provided I want to stick with Republic)?

You are tied to that plan as long as you have that phone. If you change phones, you can also change plans. There will be some kind of upgrade path when the new phones come out later this year, but nothing has been announced yet about what that will entail. Basically, if you think you might want to upgrade later (or, money is tight for the upfront costs), the $99 phone/$29 plan is the best deal (you own the phone outright upon purchase, so there is no penalty for changing to something else at any time). If you expect to keep the phone for at least 16 months, then the $249 phone/$19 plan is the better deal.

(A late response, but I just saw your post!)

Assuming you don't want to buy a $249 device, and get the $19 a month plan - As azs1 stated - you'd have to be on it 16 months to pencil out...

$99 for $29 with Republic for an older android OS or $59.99 for a android 4 device at Virgin Mobile with $35 a month plan (300 minutes - unlim txt & data). Both are on the Sprint network.

I am going to bail on my Sero plan when my contract finishes because I don't want to re-up for 2 years for a more up to date phone and go to the $50 plan - I am checking out the alternatives. So far a no contract Virgin Mobile looks like the deal...


Any alternative opinions?

toenailsmasher said:   Assuming you don't want to buy a $249 device, and get the $19 a month plan - As azs1 stated - you'd have to be on it 16 months to pencil out...

$99 for $29 with Republic for an older android OS or $59.99 for a android 4 device at Virgin Mobile with $35 a month plan (300 minutes - unlim txt & data). Both are on the Sprint network.

I am going to bail on my Sero plan when my contract finishes because I don't want to re-up for 2 years for a more up to date phone and go to the $50 plan - I am checking out the alternatives. So far a no contract Virgin Mobile looks like the deal...


Any alternative opinions?


Pricewise, it looks like that Republic plan and the VM plan are more or less a wash for the first 6 or 7 months or so (with Republic having a slight edge after that)...

I don't know if this makes a difference for you, but coverage is much better with Republic since it includes roaming (so, it's this coverage map: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?kiosk). If you are in a more urban area, the Sprint native network is probably fine, but if you are in a more rural area or travel a lot, the extra coverage could matter for you.

Even if you go with VM (or another carrier), you might want to check Republic out again when they release their new phones this summer. No word yet on what will be offered, but it's expected that there will be 3 phones (all with the most current version of Android) offered at 3 different price points.

Roaming is a big deal. Even in this metro area I go into buildings and "roam". I'll have to checkout Republic in a few months with the new phones.

Stupid engineers. Can't they design cell phone signals that penetrate stuff like my walls/metal/buildings/brains/concrete better?

toenailsmasher said:   Roaming is a big deal. Even in this metro area I go into buildings and "roam". I'll have to checkout Republic in a few months with the new phones.

Stupid engineers. Can't they design cell phone signals that penetrate stuff like my walls/metal/buildings/brains/concrete better?


Haha! I'm holding out for direct brain-to-brain reception!

If you are considering RW and you know a current RW subscriber, you can save $19 for the first month. RW started a referral program for new accounts. Both the referrer and the new subscriber get a $19 credit.

Don't forget the $50 in free Google Play credit, so the phone is really $249-$50 = $199. $199, which would be "penciled out" in as little as 10 or so months.

greling said:   Don't forget the $50 in free Google Play credit, so the phone is really $249-$50 = $199. $199, which would be "penciled out" in as little as 10 or so months.

This promotion actually expired last month.

thx said:   If you are considering RW and you know a current RW subscriber, you can save $19 for the first month. RW started a referral program for new accounts. Both the referrer and the new subscriber get a $19 credit.

I posted about that yesterday (here) as well: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1237781/?newest=1#last

It's a very generous referral program! (And, a smart way to get their members working for them...lol)



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014