• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
link to upgrade

Verizon FIOS is offering an upgrade to 50/25 mbps internet for $10 a month without requiring a new contract.
At my last contract renewal I downgraded to the slower speed to save money & quickly realized (read- kids informed me) I needed to go back to the higher speed. When I tried to change it I found that the service prices had increased & they were requiring me to start a new contract with all the prices increased (tv, phone) before they would do the upgrade which really raised my monthly total. This special does not require a new contract & does not extend your current contract. If anyone else was in a similar situation, this special might be good for you too.

Member Summary

verizon
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Id say don't bother with it . Existing FIOS customers will usually NOT get the new pricing (even worse by doing it over ... (more)

stereo55 (Mar. 02, 2013 @ 7:00p) |

Two words:

Screen Capture

nostalgicgeek (Mar. 02, 2013 @ 8:44p) |

If you have newer TV with QAM tuner, then you do not need the the digital adapter for local channels. (You can choose t... (more)

Stranger2 (Mar. 02, 2013 @ 8:54p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice option

In the NY Market turn to Channel 500.
You can select the option from there to upgrade.

I got the upgrade just a couple of months ago, from the standard 15/5. I'm in NYC and it cost me only $5 more, at the start of a new 2 yr contract. But be warned, the 50 download is only valid when hardwired. Wirelessly, it's only approx. 20 download depending on possible interferences in your home. I confirmed this with several FIOS employees and they agreed this was a real world speed. I confirmed this with a tech who was at my house while fixing another issue related to the installation. However, he did say that the higher ceiling I now had was beneficial if I had multiple devices connected wirelessly, implying that there would be less of a bottleneck due to multiple devices, which I don't know how I can prove. He also said that the upload speed was of major benefit to those who need it, such as songwriters, designers etc. It's true that the upload speed greatly increased, as it's now about 20. So it's really now 20/20 according to my tests, which is still too much of a difference to me from 50/25, whereas when it was 15/5, it was pretty close to that wirelessly. So think about that before you chuck up an additional $10/mo thinking you're getting 3x the speed...unless you connect by ethernet.

Maybe their unfortunate Actiontec routers can't push wireless data that fast (or you don't have an 802.11n network segmented off of your 802.11g network and slow devices are causing the performance to drop down a tier), but there is no change in service level whether you're connecting wired or wirelessly.

Mitch said:   I got the upgrade just a couple of months ago, from the standard 15/5. I'm in NYC and it cost me only $5 more, at the start of a new 2 yr contract. But be warned, the 50 download is only valid when hardwired. Wirelessly, it's only approx. 20 download depending on possible interferences in your home. I confirmed this with several FIOS employees and they agreed this was a real world speed. I confirmed this with a tech who was at my house while fixing another issue related to the installation. However, he did say that the higher ceiling I now had was beneficial if I had multiple devices connected wirelessly, implying that there would be less of a bottleneck due to multiple devices, which I don't know how I can prove. He also said that the upload speed was of major benefit to those who need it, such as songwriters, designers etc. It's true that the upload speed greatly increased, as it's now about 20. So it's really now 20/20 according to my tests, which is still too much of a difference to me from 50/25, whereas when it was 15/5, it was pretty close to that wirelessly. So think about that before you chuck up an additional $10/mo thinking you're getting 3x the speed...unless you connect by ethernet.
I have the Fios 75/30 plan... I was having the same issue as you when connecting wirelessly (I wasn't getting over 20 speed). The problem is that the wireless modem that Verizon Fios gives you doesn't support anything faster than that. It is actually a simple fix. I turned off the wireless on the Verizon supplied modem, then connected an Ethernet cable to one of the Verizon modem's port to a wireless modem that I bought that supports the faster speeds. (You need to keep the Verizon modem as the modem that I bought can't connect directly to their network, but no problem just daisy chaining it off the Verizon supplied one). Viola! Fixed! I just ran a Speedtest.net session and I just got 83mb down and 28mb up. I am connected wirelessly and I am about 20 feet away from the wireless modem (which is sitting ontop of a bookshelf near the ceiling).

Last I knew Verizon was barely rolling out "N" routers, so don't expect much out of the one they gave you. That is why I bought a MoCa adapter and a switch for my home theater devices needing internet.

Wired isn't always faster. I have seen reports that the Wii U (and possibly the Wii) have better throughput on wireless than with the wired USB adapter.

Interesting. I was talking to a Verizon business office guy last week and he offered to upgrade my 15/5 to 25/10 for an extra $5/m but with a 2 year commitment. The link in the OP does not mention any commitment.

I wish they would bring this to Phoenix or Google gigabit fiber

When I upgraded, they brought out a new rev router that supported GigE LAN connection. That alone was worth the upgrade.

wagnerism said:   Wired isn't always faster. I have seen reports that the Wii U (and possibly the Wii) have better throughput on wireless than with the wired USB adapter.Key word here = "USB". a USB wireless interface would suffer the same problem.

FYI if you are on one of the higher tiers you may want to check your upgrade options because if I just go into my account and try to upgrade from 25/25 to 50/25 it is only $5.00/month difference. Now what is really crazy is I have a phone/FIOS doubleplay (I keep the phone because wife works from home and that is her primary "office" number and I'll pay the extra for a reliable line vs. VoIP). Anyway if I upgrade to 50/25 and add FIOS local 15 channels of TV (I don't have video right now) my rate *DROPS* $10 a month. They seem to want to pay me to take their local channels. I'll have to try to figure out the taxes on the video, I have no interest in it but if it would save me $10/month I"d be all over it.

smahs said:   Mitch said:   I got the upgrade just a couple of months ago, from the standard 15/5. I'm in NYC and it cost me only $5 more, at the start of a new 2 yr contract. But be warned, the 50 download is only valid when hardwired. Wirelessly, it's only approx. 20 download depending on possible interferences in your home. I confirmed this with several FIOS employees and they agreed this was a real world speed. I confirmed this with a tech who was at my house while fixing another issue related to the installation. However, he did say that the higher ceiling I now had was beneficial if I had multiple devices connected wirelessly, implying that there would be less of a bottleneck due to multiple devices, which I don't know how I can prove. He also said that the upload speed was of major benefit to those who need it, such as songwriters, designers etc. It's true that the upload speed greatly increased, as it's now about 20. So it's really now 20/20 according to my tests, which is still too much of a difference to me from 50/25, whereas when it was 15/5, it was pretty close to that wirelessly. So think about that before you chuck up an additional $10/mo thinking you're getting 3x the speed...unless you connect by ethernet.
I have the Fios 75/30 plan... I was having the same issue as you when connecting wirelessly (I wasn't getting over 20 speed). The problem is that the wireless modem that Verizon Fios gives you doesn't support anything faster than that. It is actually a simple fix. I turned off the wireless on the Verizon supplied modem, then connected an Ethernet cable to one of the Verizon modem's port to a wireless modem that I bought that supports the faster speeds. (You need to keep the Verizon modem as the modem that I bought can't connect directly to their network, but no problem just daisy chaining it off the Verizon supplied one). Viola! Fixed! I just ran a Speedtest.net session and I just got 83mb down and 28mb up. I am connected wirelessly and I am about 20 feet away from the wireless modem (which is sitting ontop of a bookshelf near the ceiling).

Using your own wireless router is one fix, but the first thing you need to do is make sure you have one of the newer revision routers - the red ones with dual antennas. Note that you cannot request these routers for free - they will try to charge you if you do that. However, the work-around is simple - call tech support, say there is something wrong with your router (when in reality there is - the speed), and get them to send you a replacement. Voila - the replacement will be one of the newer revisions. I found this out through some other forums when I first signed up for FIOS a few months back and was utterly disappointed to get an old revision router that didn't even support Gigabit ethernet. I tried and tried to request the gigabit better-revision router through multiple customer service reps and supervisors with no luck. So I requested a replacement router - and got the newest one free of charge. And the wireless speed instantly went up - I am on the 75/30 plan, and that's exactly what I get with both ethernet and wireless. Prior to the newest FIOS router I'd only get around 20 on wireless.

secstate said:   They seem to want to pay me to take their local channels. I'll have to try to figure out the taxes on the video, I have no interest in it but if it would save me $10/month I"d be all over it.You'll need to get a set top box, which will be a minimum of $5.99 a month for the digital adapter. Depending on where you live, you'll have to pay up to a 5% franchise fee on the video portion. Of course, until you get the bill you won't know how they allocated the pricing to make it $10 a month. I'm sure it won't be just $10 on the bill, the other components will probably be cheaper. So you'll probably save something, but not a significant amount.

billrubin said:   secstate said:   They seem to want to pay me to take their local channels. I'll have to try to figure out the taxes on the video, I have no interest in it but if it would save me $10/month I"d be all over it.You'll need to get a set top box, which will be a minimum of $5.99 a month for the digital adapter. Depending on where you live, you'll have to pay up to a 5% franchise fee on the video portion. Of course, until you get the bill you won't know how they allocated the pricing to make it $10 a month. I'm sure it won't be just $10 on the bill, the other components will probably be cheaper. So you'll probably save something, but not a significant amount.

Yeah I figured taxes would eat up a chunk. Hadn't thought about the set top box but wouldn't need it since I wouldn't actually watch their feed but I bet they won't let you opt out of at least one. Honestly probably not worth the hassle but it was interesting.

Heres a link and info for the new GigE FIOS router LINK (pdf) .

The new GigE router "should" come to all those that have or upgrade to 50/25 or better . These seem to be in limited supply though , so ymmv .

To be honest , the new GigE router is one of the best routers Ive used in years , as I no longer feel need to use my own except in certain circumstances (duel band) . The only down fall on the GigE it is NOT duel band Wifi .

If anyone is so inclined , you can purchase these on your own for $80 HERE. Even at $80 , I find this router to worth it and much better than many regular consumer grade routers . Also the GigE would make a great Moca devise at $80 .

Lastly , if your lucky enough to have Verizon let you keep your older FIOS router(s) (as they did in my case ,as they do NOT want them back at all) , you can also use those as Moca devises and they are very compatible with the new GigE's for that purpose .

Dual (unless you're using pistols)

Thanks OP, getting 58/32 now, up from 23/4

stereo55 said:   
The new GigE router "should" come to all those that have or upgrade to 25/50 or better . These seem to be in limited supply though , so ymmv .

To be honest , the new GigE router is one of the best routers Ive used in years , as I no longer feel need to use my own except in certain circumstances (duel band) . The only down fall on the GigE it is NOT duel band Wifi .

If anyone is so inclined , you can purchase these on your own for $80 HERE. Even at $80 , I find this router to worth it and much better than many regular consumer grade routers . Also the GigE would make a great Moca devise at $80 .

Since the upgrade is not a contract, you could upgrade and get the better router, and then downgrade and keep the router.

Using your own wireless router is one fix, but the first thing you need to do is make sure you have one of the newer revision routers - the red ones with dual antennas. Note that you cannot request these routers for free - they will try to charge you if you do that. However, the work-around is simple - call tech support, say there is something wrong with your router (when in reality there is - the speed), and get them to send you a replacement. Voila - the replacement will be one of the newer revisions. I found this out through some other forums when I first signed up for FIOS a few months back and was utterly disappointed to get an old revision router that didn't even support Gigabit ethernet. I tried and tried to request the gigabit better-revision router through multiple customer service reps and supervisors with no luck. So I requested a replacement router - and got the newest one free of charge. And the wireless speed instantly went up - I am on the 75/30 plan, and that's exactly what I get with both ethernet and wireless. Prior to the newest FIOS router I'd only get around 20 on wireless.

Did the tech guy ask what kind of router your were using first, or you had to request for the newer model, before he sent you a replacement one?

Upgrade to 75/35 for $15 for me.

I upgraded from a month-to-month 25/25 and Extreme HD package, to Prime HD and 75/35, for $10 more a month. (Not this deal, I signed up at the beginning of the year.) I did NOT get the new GigE router. I was offered a chance to purchase it for myself, for $80.

It doesn't really matter, I don't use that router for wireless, I have several others connected. Using E2500 Cisco routers, running Tomato, on 5Ghz band.

Mitch said:   I got the upgrade just a couple of months ago, from the standard 15/5. I'm in NYC and it cost me only $5 more, at the start of a new 2 yr contract. But be warned, the 50 download is only valid when hardwired. Wirelessly, it's only approx. 20 download depending on possible interferences in your home. I confirmed this with several FIOS employees and they agreed this was a real world speed. I confirmed this with a tech who was at my house while fixing another issue related to the installation. However, he did say that the higher ceiling I now had was beneficial if I had multiple devices connected wirelessly, implying that there would be less of a bottleneck due to multiple devices, which I don't know how I can prove. He also said that the upload speed was of major benefit to those who need it, such as songwriters, designers etc. It's true that the upload speed greatly increased, as it's now about 20. So it's really now 20/20 according to my tests, which is still too much of a difference to me from 50/25, whereas when it was 15/5, it was pretty close to that wirelessly. So think about that before you chuck up an additional $10/mo thinking you're getting 3x the speed...unless you connect by ethernet.

I was able to grab on their promotion of 75/35+Ultimate HD on 01-22-13. Tried to test with different connections in several spots, I still could get 80~82 download wirelessly should I be close to the modem.

stereo55 said:   
Lastly , if your lucky enough to have Verizon let you keep your older FIOS router(s) (as they did in my case ,as they do NOT want them back at all) , you can also use those as Moca devises and they are very compatible with the new GigE's for that purpose .

I agree with everything you say, though I still prefer to use my own router but I have somewhat unique needs. That said the Actiontecs (at least the older ones--I don't have a new one to measure) are something of a power hog. Mine pulls 16 watts per my Kill-A-Watt and while that is not bad for a powerful router it is a bit of a guzzler to use as a Moca bridge in my opinion at least depending on your electric rates. At the national average of 11 cents per KWH that is $16 a year per Actiontec running 24x7. In places like CA or NY where you are paying north of 20 cents per KWH that is going to cost you closer to $30 per year per Actiontec. I was going to use two as a MOCA bridge in my house till I measured the power consumption. It was cheaper in the long run for me to just run CAT5E which is what I ended up doing (I can do it myself). At my electric rates it was going to cost me around $32/year to operate two as a bridge.

Thank you for your interest in FiOS Quantum. The speed upgrade is not available to you at this time.

I pay for 75mbps and consistantly get 90mpbs over wifi.. I have a time capsule plugged into my Verizon router, I disable the wifi on the Verizon router and only use the wifi from the time capsule.

In my area, they haven't brought FIOS in yet. The top speed offered is 7 M up. I have no idea when FIOS will be available to me.

I think verzion is playing with me. I saw a plan for the triple play bundle with prime tv, unlimited voice, and 50/35 internet. Their new quantum fios. for $89.99. I went to their site and saw that it was 89.99. comparing to mines I was paying the same price for my triple play but my internet was 35/35. So I chatted with verizon to see if I can upgrade to the new bundle without getting charge. Then they ask to check my account. So I gave me info and then they said that there is no bundle price that I mentioned. So I went back to the page I had loaded to see the price and now it wasn't at that price anymore for the their quantum fios. Did verizon do that? now i can't prove I saw that deal online.

Tanik1 said:   I think verzion is playing with me. I saw a plan for the triple play bundle with prime tv, unlimited voice, and 50/35 internet. Their new quantum fios. for $89.99. I went to their site and saw that it was 89.99. comparing to mines I was paying the same price for my triple play but my internet was 35/35. So I chatted with verizon to see if I can upgrade to the new bundle without getting charge. Then they ask to check my account. So I gave me info and then they said that there is no bundle price that I mentioned. So I went back to the page I had loaded to see the price and now it wasn't at that price anymore for the their quantum fios. Did verizon do that? now i can't prove I saw that deal online.

Id say don't bother with it . Existing FIOS customers will usually NOT get the new pricing (even worse by doing it over the phone as there is NO proof that what price the rep quoted you will appear on your bill = many complaints about this situation for years now) . Also once you change anything on your existing account (under contract) it will extend your contract back to a full two years from the date of change . Unless your service is brand new (or out of contract) , I would leave it alone as its really not worth it just for the upgraded speed . FIOS is great in certain aspects , but for existing customers things are not so peachy unless your out of contract .

I used to have 35/35 till I renewed my account , but 35/35 was no longer an option only 25/50 or 35/75 . At the time of my renewal 35/75 was $15 more a month upgrade (not worth it) , so I opted for the 25/50 instead (and was pissed about the package downgrade) ; even though my new contract says 25/50 , my speeds are actually 35/50 which seems they did not downgrade my past upload speed at all probably because I was a continued customer with no shut off of service for 9+yrs ; but ymmv . To tell you the truth , there really is not that much noticeable difference unless your constantly downloading huge files .

Long story short .... keep what ya got !

Tanik1 said:   I think verzion is playing with me. I saw a plan for the triple play bundle with prime tv, unlimited voice, and 50/35 internet. Their new quantum fios. for $89.99. I went to their site and saw that it was 89.99. comparing to mines I was paying the same price for my triple play but my internet was 35/35. So I chatted with verizon to see if I can upgrade to the new bundle without getting charge. Then they ask to check my account. So I gave me info and then they said that there is no bundle price that I mentioned. So I went back to the page I had loaded to see the price and now it wasn't at that price anymore for the their quantum fios. Did verizon do that? now i can't prove I saw that deal online.

Two words:

Screen Capture

billrubin said:   secstate said:   They seem to want to pay me to take their local channels. I'll have to try to figure out the taxes on the video, I have no interest in it but if it would save me $10/month I"d be all over it.You'll need to get a set top box, which will be a minimum of $5.99 a month for the digital adapter. Depending on where you live, you'll have to pay up to a 5% franchise fee on the video portion. Of course, until you get the bill you won't know how they allocated the pricing to make it $10 a month. I'm sure it won't be just $10 on the bill, the other components will probably be cheaper. So you'll probably save something, but not a significant amount.

If you have newer TV with QAM tuner, then you do not need the the digital adapter for local channels. (You can choose to decline the tuner during order)

According to my bill, the tax on the local TV was about $1.50 (Philly suburb Area)

My double play with quantum internet 75/35 with local TV is $69.99 with 2 yr agreement. I was paying $63/mo for 20/5 so it was no brainer for me.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014