• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Not for everyone.

Very high-quality hot chocolate in tin

Reg. $20; on sale at store $15
There are 2 product numbers one starting with 61 and priced at $10 and the other starting with 9, at this price, for "special customers" via email.

Shipping could be expensive.

Member Summary

Guittard hot cocoa (31.70kB)
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary

stardent said:   

Shipping could be expensive.

Shipping is expensive...and should be clearly noted in the title.

Two things:

1) Not having tried this stuff, is 12 oz really better than the excellent Starbucks Cocoa, 2 1/2 lbs tin for $11 at Costco?

2) This is another of those merchants who charge shipping by the dollar amount of the purchase, not the product weight which actually determines their cost. It's sufficiently infuriating that in my thriftyness I won't buy from such people. In this particular case, one can will cost $5.50 shipping regardless where it's going.

Yes, shipping is steep but no sales tax for me in WA, FWIW. $6.50 for 2 tins. This makes an excellent gift.
I don't know anything about starbucks hot cocoa so cannot comment on that. This is what you might call premium or gourmet product. Along with their peppermint bark (which also costs $20+ a pound) is a hot seller at Christmas time.

stardent said:    This is what you might call premium or gourmet product.

No, this is what I call a hyped-up product. Yes, I've tried it...and yes, it doesn't taste "bad"...but just because it has a fancy label on it....didn't make it any better than other decent hot cocoa's out there and nothing that separates it as "premium", "gourmet" or "very high quality" (per your generic marketing terms).

As shown in real world tests......plain tap water also "tastes" better when served at a fancy restaurant.

Unless you're buying this in bulk...$5.50 shipping on a $8.00 product is excessive.

This is similar to the debate about three-buck chuck versus $25 a bottle Merlot. This is why I said THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Please stay away from threadcrapping.

stardent said:    Please stay away from threadcrapping.

I always try to stay away from threadcrapping. Stepping in that stuff takes forever to get off of my shoes.

stardent said:   This is similar to the debate about three-buck chuck versus $25 a bottle Merlot. This is why I said THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Please stay away from threadcrapping.

Seems you really have trouble with details and word definitions. Threadcapping would be saying something along the lines of: "This product suckz. Period."

You have been explained why this product is not a hot deal based on price since shipping is so high.

You have also been explained why it does not seem to merit the increased cost.

Your rebuttal by using 1950's marketing adjectives to explain the rationale for the high costs...speaks for itself.

Wow, "you have been explained"?! Yes sir!
It is a hot deal because it is now at about 50% discount.
This is not a cheap deals thread.
Of course, the hottest deal is if you buy nothing and that would save you 100% on everything.
I should mention this is not for respdoc.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014