• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
thx! loved sc2k way back when, hope they successfully captured the same charm in this iteration. the trailer looks promising.

Bah, you kids...why, back in my day SimCity was protected by an "uncopiable" sheet with symbols that you had to type in to prove you owned the game. If you tried to photocopy the sheet, which was black type on a dark red paper, it came out all black. Now that was some serious DRM.

I didn't mind DRM that required you to just be online when you launched the application. This goes a bit far, though.

I remember the days of code-sheets. Used a lot because the gamers of the time would accept it a lot easier than driver based DRM. At one point the leading DRM system had such a bad rep that it immediately cut sales when it was known to be on a title. (Starforce) It was a resource hog, for one thing.

rdnzl said:   Bah, you kids...why, back in my day SimCity was protected by an "uncopiable" sheet with symbols that you had to type in to prove you owned the game. If you tried to photocopy the sheet, which was black type on a dark red paper, it came out all black. Now that was some serious DRM.

Color copiers had just surfaced at the time. $4 a sheet at Kinkos. IIRC there were two pages.

yakky said:   rdnzl said:   Bah, you kids...why, back in my day SimCity was protected by an "uncopiable" sheet with symbols that you had to type in to prove you owned the game. If you tried to photocopy the sheet, which was black type on a dark red paper, it came out all black. Now that was some serious DRM.

Color copiers had just surfaced at the time. $4 a sheet at Kinkos. IIRC there were two pages.

back in my day, they put blood in the ink of comic books

SimCity is the #1 game on Amazon, so although the 'Always Online' requirement is really terrible, it doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent.... I just want to create my city!!!

Has this worked for anyone else? I put the code in the promo box and it says this code is not valid. I tried a few days ago too.

The necessity to always be online to play the game is likely to be quite a bother, but I support software companies and their employees getting paid for their hard work.

I ordered the disc and will make sure all of my tasks are done by the day it's suppose to show up. Amazon locker delivery. Huge fan of the Amazon locker

advocatus said:   The necessity to always be online to play the game is likely to be quite a bother, but I support software companies and their employees getting paid for their hard work.

I ordered the disc and will make sure all of my tasks are done by the day it's suppose to show up. Amazon locker delivery. Huge fan of the Amazon locker

Did you just order tonight?

advocatus said:   The necessity to always be online to play the game is likely to be quite a bother, but I support software companies and their employees getting paid for their hard work.

Again, I don't know where anyone suggested not paying for the product. People are just disappointed that EA decided to limit the utility and value of the game for players who aren't always on the internet. People with no intention of paying for this game probably already had a cracked version a week before launch.

rdnzl said:   Bah, you kids...why, back in my day SimCity was protected by an "uncopiable" sheet with symbols that you had to type in to prove you owned the game. If you tried to photocopy the sheet, which was black type on a dark red paper, it came out all black. Now that was some serious DRM.

Haha - I'd totally forgotten about that. Thanks for the blast from the past.

When will EA learn? Steam figured it out, they found a way to make gaming so convenient that it wasn't worth pirating (constant updates, quick downloads and installs on another PC, constant sales, ability to play offline, etc.). EA just puts in draconian anti piracy measures which will be defeated, in which those on a pirated game will end up having a more convenient game to play the a the people that shell out $60 for it. I was excited for this, but learning about the always online looks like I'll be searching for it in a bargain bin in a year or two.

Last chance to preorder... goes live tonight at Midnight.

I guess the code expired.

I'm interested and don't mind always online. However, for various reasons, I will not use EA's Origin. Does this require Origin or can it be installed without?

Origin is the always online part. You need to login to play.

Code is not working for me.

djklmnop said:   I read a discussion about this game on Reddit about a month ago. People were complaining that you need to be connected to the internet at all times in order to play this game--even though it is a SINGLE PLAYER game. Interesting to say the least.

If the "always on" requirement wasn't bad enough, it's been reported that if the servers are full of players, then you actually have to wait in a queue for a spot to open before you can even play the game.

Yeah the Amazon reviews report that. Folks couldn't even play at launch.

Looks like they did not make larger maps since the beta . Waiting in a que to connect to a game is also a major downfall . All the comments on Amazon are making me glad I cancelled my pre-order .

Yuyak said:   mistadeal said:   For the 99%ers who actually have full-time internet access and plan to play this on their home PC, this is a good deal. Thanks OP. For those that are complaining, you might as well just come out and say you want to pirate it. I doubt all of you who mentioned airports really want a game like this that they can play for an hour or two when they infrequently travel. You can make as much baseless accusations about people you don't know as you like, but that doesn't make it true.

I'm perfectly fine with reasonable measures of anti-piracy (Steam), but this goes a step too far. Why couldn't they just have a system than checks your license via internet every few days? I commute by train every day and this game would've been worth a lot more to me if I had the option to play offline mode. As is, it's simply not worth $40-$60 to me. I still want to play it, but I'll wait until it drops in price.

Gotta side with Yuyak here. The amount of people that have legitimate gripes about always needing to be online (frequent travelers who want to play this exact game when they travel) are far out numbered by the people that would pirate the hell out of a non-multiplayer game. It is what it is. Either allow for the internet connection or single player only games won't be produced anymore.

frog01 said:   derrickjon said:   Will not buy because it is EA and also required to be online always.

Though I don't like being forced online to play, I don't let something like that deprive me of an otherwise potentially great PC Gaming experience.

I must admit that I have egg on my face. I ordered the game to ship on launch, and it arrived on time on Tuesday. It is now Friday, and I still cannot play. The always online wouldn't be such a huge problem if it actually worked. As of now, EA's servers have not allowed me once to start a city - and I have tried for several hours. This is DRM at its very worse, when it actively restricts the paying consumer from actually playing the game.

Amazon now has a warning about the problem. I heard they are processing Refunds, so let's see if they will honor mine. Not sure how they will deal with the $20 Amazon credit, maybe only refund the difference of what I paid and the Credit?

Again, Egg on my Face for my quote above.

man, that sucks. I've been reading all the server issues and just shaking my head. You would've thought they had learned after seeing what happened with the Diablo 3 launch. They must've had some idea of the launch week load based on preorders.

It's a shame since all the pre-launch reviews were fairly positive. Basically with this always-online requirement, players lose (limits playability), developers lose (otherwise great game is marred by these unrelated issues), and the retailers lose (poor Amazon).

I've been able to play the last 2 days (Wednesday took some effort but it worked flawlessly Thursday). The game is a lot of fun and definitely a winner. I managed to get it from GameFly for 20% off. It would be a shame if the game is only remembered for a poor launch.

As for the DRM issue, it seems like a lightning rod. I know I would've been absolutely pissed about it and complaining about how EA dumps on legitimate customers back in the day when I was pirating games. Now that I have a real grown up job and haven't pirated anything in years I don't mind the DRM or the always on feature. Once the game actually works I can see how they might use the data to really improve the game over time and probably create an even better iteration for the inevitable sequel or Sims tie in.

BEWARE-- If it hasn't been stated enough already, there are reportedly massive problems with the online servers... Reports of people having to wait 30 minutes just to play the game... I read an article and some reviews this morning... Hopefully they get their connectivity issues fixed before the game is tanked by bad press..

BUYER BEWARE:

Following Poor Reviews, Amazon Suspends SimCity Sales

EA Disables Numerous Features As SimCity Servers Are Crippled Under Load

EA Sticking It to Ticked Off Purchasers Wanting Refund

UPDATE:

There are some reports coming in that Amazon is making exceptions for refund requests given the backlash on this game. Update available via 3rd link above.

Even though few can actually play this game, the hilariously negative reviews this game managed to solicit may be enjoyed by all. The news of this "disastrous" release is even making it to mainstream media. Hopefully it will serve as a warning to other companies considering such restrictive DRM.

Skynet is here.

If you bought (or buy) the game and register/activate by 3/18, EA will apologize for the game's poor shipping state by offering you a free game from its catalog for download:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/ea-offers-free-catalog-game-to-apologize-for-simcity-server-woes/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014