• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Lenovo® Laptop Computer with 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i3 Processor
Save $120
Reg. $479.99/$359.99
Valid 3/3/13 through 3/9/13


DescriptionItem #983-842
• 15.6" screen
• 4GB memory
• 500GB hard drive
• Microsoft Windows 8
• HDMI Port
• Model G580

www.officedepot.com

Office Depot
Need a Office Depot coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Lenovo Laptop Computer with 3rd Gen Intel
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Just downloaded windows classic shell. Problem solved!

hendog (Mar. 07, 2013 @ 9:44p) |

Is this a better deal
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/983671/Toshiba-Satellite-C855-S5194-Laptop-Computer/
It has th... (more)

FireDragon064 (Mar. 07, 2013 @ 11:25p) |

Caveat emptor!!!

If you have not heard about the G series hinge problems, read up first!!! I am living the nightmare and... (more)

redgtxdi (Mar. 10, 2013 @ 3:11a) |

  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I got a scratch and dent G570 from the Lenovo outlet a few months ago. It's pretty nice. Looks like the main difference with this one is the generation of processor. The "brown" color is more like rosewood or cherry wood. It has an aluminum palm rest, which I did not see advertised.

It shows $399 not $379.

Note that the OP states that it begins on 3/3...today is 3/1

Nice looking deal when it happens.

in the ad or just online?

pricematch?

lordoffire said:   in the ad or just online?

pricematch?


it's in the ad for week of 3/3

Fry's has the i5-3230M version of this for $448

http://www.frys.com/product/7532956

Is it worth the $90 to get the i5?

usernamemax20charact said:   Fry's has the i5-3230M version of this for $448

http://www.frys.com/product/7532956

Is it worth the $90 to get the i5?

Depends on what you need it for. Not many applications use more than 1-2 cores. This laptop is good for email and surfin the web, maybe watch some movies, you don't need i5 for that.
If you use applications that will use 4 cores, then it would be worth it.

Looks like a good deal for grampaw or mom!

omg...


a freaking pentium 4 can do email and surf the web, but something as simple as a FB game shows just how much the cpu matters...

Dasterdly said:   usernamemax20charact said:   Is it worth the $90 to get the i5?
Depends on what you need it for. Not many applications use more than 1-2 cores. This laptop is good for email and surfin the web, maybe watch some movies, you don't need i5 for that. If you use applications that will use 4 cores, then [the i5] would be worth it.

The Office Depot model has an i3-3120M, which is a dual-core, but with Hyperthreading, so it will appear as 4 cores in the OS. The Fry model has an i5-3230M, which is also dual-core with Hyperthreading. So in terms of number of cores (either real or apparent), they're the same.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-3120M-Notebook-Proces...
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-3230M-Notebook-Proces...

The i5 does have better performance in benchmarks though:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
chip			score	rank
Intel Core i3-3120M 	3492	348	
Intel Core i5-3230M 	4069	264


So it's about a 17% increase in performance for a 25% increase in cost. They both have the same HD 4000 integrated graphics, at similar clock speeds, so that's not going to change much between models. Everything else looks the same.

if this laptop is good for emailing, surfing web, and watching movies, then why not just get a chromebook starting at $199?

wwon717 said:   if this laptop is good for emailing, surfing web, and watching movies, then why not just get a chromebook starting at $199?

I don't know much about chromebook but that its from google. Tracking, marketing, blinged up advertisements are undesireable at that price point. It has no dvd drive and a small screen.

Another thing is grampaw can use his existing applications that he has used for 20+/- years. He will have a hard time with win8 but I'll mod it out so he can use it, and decrapify it to make it less annoying.

The most important reason is that I do not support google and do not want to deal with it for relatives/customers.
You are welcome to buy and support the products of your choice, and so am I.

wwon717 said:   if this laptop is good for emailing, surfing web, and watching movies, then why not just get a chromebook starting at $199?
It's not only good for those things, and Dasterdly may have been understating this laptop's capabilities.

The CPU and graphics specs are on par with the Surface Pro, and that can play a fair amount of games (although granted not at the highest settings). It's a decent mid-range laptop.

The Chromebooks have a lot of limitations. They have very little local storage, expecting everything to be stored in the cloud. This has 500GB of storage. Chromebooks don't have an optical drive, this does. Chromebooks have smaller screen sizes of 11-12", this has a 15.6" screen. Chromebooks run Chrome OS, which has a limited selection of apps. This will run most any Windows app.

I have this machine. Although its not a powerhouse I have been very happy with it.
It seems like the more powerful the shorter the battery life. this machine has decent battery life

i got this laptop 2 weeks back with Staples 75$ off coupon. which came out 285+tax

Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll ship when available. discouraging

In for one earlier today to replace my Dell Vostro 1000. Thanks OP.

In for 1!

out the door for $302, oh yea


that's less than I paid for a BF laptop 4-5 years ago

lordoffire said:   out the door for $302, oh yea
How did you get it for that price? Did you pricematch with Staples or something?

marsilies said:   lordoffire said:   out the door for $302, oh yea
How did you get it for that price? Did you pricematch with Staples or something?


yuppers

$75 competitor coupon



keyboard report: it's a little noisy, but almost no flex, and the keys have enough "push" to them that it's decently comfortable

Recommend as starter computer for 9 year old?? He is uses my Mac and an old Dell laptop now, need to upgrade lap top and he could use his own. Mostly use it for mine craft and surfing the web. Any thoughts?

bitterle said:   Recommend as starter computer for 9 year old?? He is uses my Mac and an old Dell laptop now, need to upgrade lap top and he could use his own. Mostly use it for mine craft and surfing the web. Any thoughts?

inb4 you get a ton of red


9 year old doesn't need their own computer, and SHOULDN'T have one

/endofstory

lordoffire said:   bitterle said:   Recommend as starter computer for 9 year old?? He is uses my Mac and an old Dell laptop now, need to upgrade lap top and he could use his own. Mostly use it for mine craft and surfing the web. Any thoughts?

inb4 you get a ton of red


9 year old doesn't need their own computer, and SHOULDN'T have one

/endofstory


But what if the 9 year old is Tanishq Abraham?

Bought one on Sunday. No problems except for windows 8, which after 3 hours of trying to learn it I wiped the hard drive and installed Windows 7. Why they would inshetall an OS designed for use on a tablet on a regular laptop is beyond me. Ive been using Microsoft products since early version of DOS, and can easily say this is the hardest of any of their products to learn.

aoverify said:   Bought one on Sunday. No problems except for windows 8, which after 3 hours of trying to learn it I wiped the hard drive and installed Windows 7. Why they would inshetall an OS designed for use on a tablet on a regular laptop is beyond me. Ive been using Microsoft products since early version of DOS, and can easily say this is the hardest of any of their products to learn.

Did you run into any problems with Win 7 install such as with finding compatible drivers for everything?

what is good extra RAM for this machine? Thanks.

Willy said:   what is good extra RAM for this machine? Thanks.

Comes with 4GB so double it with another 4GB.

I can't figure out exactly how much ram this box will handle. All the written information for the G580 says 8Gb is the max. But when you run the Lenovo Solutions Center software is says you can go to 16GB. Also- Cruicial web applet says 16Gb as well. I called tech support last night - not sure what country I got- but they were very confused and basically hung up on me when they could find an answer.

got mine today. It's a decent beater lappy but I agree that Windows 8 is annoying.

usernamemax20charact said:   aoverify said:   Bought one on Sunday. No problems except for windows 8, which after 3 hours of trying to learn it I wiped the hard drive and installed Windows 7. Why they would inshetall an OS designed for use on a tablet on a regular laptop is beyond me. Ive been using Microsoft products since early version of DOS, and can easily say this is the hardest of any of their products to learn.

Did you run into any problems with Win 7 install such as with finding compatible drivers for everything?


they're on the website

snafu said:   I can't figure out exactly how much ram this box will handle. All the written information for the G580 says 8Gb is the max. But when you run the Lenovo Solutions Center software is says you can go to 16GB. Also- Cruicial web applet says 16Gb as well. I called tech support last night - not sure what country I got- but they were very confused and basically hung up on me when they could find an answer.

my guess would still be 8....not that someone would likely ever need 16 anyway

even on desktop builds, 8 is usually plenty

1. Windows 8 is what MS sells, so the world must follow. You can always install 3rd party, free classic menus in win8 and get basically win7 back.
Other features include Skydrive integration for file backup, touchpad works fine as a virtual touchscreen, etc.

2. http://outlet.lenovo.com/
IF it's not a rush, check frequently. Picked up a new Z580 i5 new $599 for $400 in Dec =D on their 60% sale.

3. i5 is ok vs. i3 as a minor bump up, but it shouldn't be the factor that'll prevent you from buying at this price range. It's a minor improvement - 15% or so in most benchmarks, but nothing worth $$ over.
i7 quad-core, 8 threads is DEFINITELY the bump up you'll want to think about vs. the $$ you spend on a laptop.... IF you're playing games, doing 3D rendering, video encoding, etc. These CPU HEAVY happy, even GPU Quicksync encodes, will go 2x faster on the i7 alone vs. i3/i5. Definitely worth saving up for if you need a heavy-hitter.

DON'T forget - YOU CAN UPGRADE the CPU later at any time to an i7!
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/G580-Intel-Celeron-B830-what-cpu-upgrades-can-be-done/m-p/969447/highlight/true#M40641

4. Check the technical manual for max ram upgrades.. and forums.Lenovo.com for other users that have done the same if it's not in the book. But keep in mind your chipset limitations. Can't get around that.
16GB works fine!
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/G580-Intel-Celeron-B830-what-cpu-upgrades-can-be-done/m-p/969447/highlight/true#M40641

megachacker said:   

Comes with 4GB so double it with another 4GB.


Any suggestions on which particular piece of RAM? Or maybe a slickdeal for the right RAM? Thanks.

Willy said:   megachacker said:   

Comes with 4GB so double it with another 4GB.


Any suggestions on which particular piece of RAM? Or maybe a slickdeal for the right RAM? Thanks.


particular piece?

get the same kind (PC3-12800), that's it

adorable said:   1. Windows 8 is what MS sells, so the world must follow. You can always install 3rd party, free classic menus in win8 and get basically win7 back.
Other features include Skydrive integration for file backup, touchpad works fine as a virtual touchscreen, etc.

2. http://outlet.lenovo.com/
IF it's not a rush, check frequently. Picked up a new Z580 i5 new $599 for $400 in Dec =D on their 60% sale.

3. i5 is ok vs. i3 as a minor bump up, but it shouldn't be the factor that'll prevent you from buying at this price range. It's a minor improvement - 15% or so in most benchmarks, but nothing worth $$ over.
i7 quad-core, 8 threads is DEFINITELY the bump up you'll want to think about vs. the $$ you spend on a laptop.... IF you're playing games, doing 3D rendering, video encoding, etc. These CPU HEAVY happy, even GPU Quicksync encodes, will go 2x faster on the i7 alone vs. i3/i5. Definitely worth saving up for if you need a heavy-hitter.

DON'T forget - YOU CAN UPGRADE the CPU later at any time to an i7!
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/G580-Intel-Celeron-B830-what-cpu-upgrades-can-be-done/m-p/969447/highlight/true#M40641

4. Check the technical manual for max ram upgrades.. and forums.Lenovo.com for other users that have done the same if it's not in the book. But keep in mind your chipset limitations. Can't get around that.
16GB works fine!
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/G580-Intel-Celeron-B830-what-cpu-upgrades-can-be-done/m-p/969447/highlight/true#M40641


Just downloaded windows classic shell. Problem solved!

Is this a better deal
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/983671/Toshiba-Satellite-C855-S5194-Laptop-Computer/
It has the same CPU
6GB memory and • 640GB hard drive for $399.99?

Caveat emptor!!!

If you have not heard about the G series hinge problems, read up first!!! I am living the nightmare and wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Mine is a G570. If they fixed it in the G580, great, but the way they've treated G570 members...... https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/Problem-w... .......is shameful at best, if not fraudulent!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014