• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Text. Product Homepage

About G-Box Midnight:
G-Box Midnight delivers Android 4 on TV in stunning full HD. G-Box Midnight brings a whole new dimension to TV entertainment on Android! Supports XBMC with uPnP, Local File Play and Video Streaming! Watch live streaming through XBMC, YouTube and more!

G-Box Midnight Features:
G-Box Midnight lets you install your favorite apps directly from the Play Store. G-Box Midnight plays full-screen games in 3D smoothly with it's performance Mali400MP graphics processor. G-Box Midnight delivers the web in a high definition experience that the entire family will enjoy. Stream movies from YouTube and more in Full HD. Stay connected with all of your favorite social networking sites. Plug in a flash drive and watch movies and home videos in HD. Download free productivity apps from the Play Store and work from your couch! Developers can build the next greatest apps on an Android 4 HD platform!

G-Box Midnight Specifications:
* NEWEST Revision 2.2 Motherboard
* Mali400 High Performance 3D GPU
* AMLOGIC Cortex A9 Neon CPU
* 1GB RAM (DDR3)
* 4GB Total Internal Storage
* USB Storage Extendable (Flash Drives/HDD)
* SD Storage Extendable (Up to 32GB!)
* 802.11b/g/n internal Wifi
* HDMI v1.3 1080p Output
* 10/100 Ethernet Port
* Audio/Video Out (Composite)
* 4x USB 2.0 Ports
* Android 4 ICS installed, Linux is available to install
* Supports Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse (Recommended!)
* Supports 3D Gyro USB Wireless Mouse
* Google Play Store installed
* Supports side-load apps installation
* Fully Rooted!

G-Box Midnight Support:
G-Box Midnight firmware is updated frequently. Support is available online. Please Note: This is an advanced device the requires Android OS or Linux knowledge to set it up properly.

Member Summary

G-Box Midnight Android/Linux XBMC Streaming Mini HTPC Player
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Some notes:

G-Box Midnight forums

XBMC for Android is still in early beta, so stability is not the same as ATV2/PC versions that have been around for years. However, I haven't had any significant problems with my box that makes me want to go back to an ATV2.

New XBMC build this week for Android that supports this hardware - discussion here - I haven't tried this yet, but has got good response in forums as being the best version available for this hardware. I believe this version (and future versions) are moving away from amlplayer.

Recommended Android firmware 1/11/13 (should be installed on latest hardware already, you can check in Android Settings menu at bottom)

XBMC APK installation file for MALI GPU - this is beta XBMC 12 (Frodo) release from December. stable/nightly Frodo releases don't do hardware decoding yet (stutter on HD content)

Alternate Linux build discussion (Static 0.2b) - boots straight to XBMC, doesn't have full functionality (ie no SFTP and had issues mounting USB HDD) so I reverted back to Android

HDMI v1.3 specs but I've been able to play 1080p HSBS movies on my 3DTV without problems

Most limitations I came across on 1080p playback were wi-fi based. All of my <20GB MKV's play fine but I did experience stutter on a 35GB 3D MKV file via wired connection.

Remote isn't the best, but I use iPhone app for remote once in XBMC so that doesn't bother me. Might be able to use universal remote, never looked into that though.

Does XBMC for this support unconverted .wtv files?
I have a WDTV Live and that's the one format it won't, and likely will never, support.
I would love to have that support though.

GnatGoSplat said:   Does XBMC for this support unconverted .wtv files?
I have a WDTV Live and that's the one format it won't, and likely will never, support.
I would love to have that support though.

Short answer, Yes.

Do you know if your WTV files are copy-once or copy freely? I have an Infinitv4 CableCard via Time Warner. Unfortunately all non-broadcast channels are copy once, which means Windows encrypts the so only an official Media Center Extender, tied to that specific PC, can use them. For copy-freely content, I have been able to play broadcast recordings through XBMC by linking the Recorded TV folder via a SMB share. That was using he ATV2, I assume this works on the G-Box but haven't tried. I can test that for you this weekend. I believe Comcast is much more lenient and most non-premium (SHO/HBO) channels are copy freely.

I'm looking to replace a Boxee Box and wanted to know if this is a good solution or is it better to wait for the Ouya?

gbox or ouya?

mistadeal said:   Do you know if your WTV files are copy-once or copy freely? I have an Infinitv4 CableCard via Time Warner. Unfortunately all non-broadcast channels are copy once, which means Windows encrypts the so only an official Media Center Extender, tied to that specific PC, can use them. For copy-freely content, I have been able to play broadcast recordings through XBMC by linking the Recorded TV folder via a SMB share. That was using he ATV2, I assume this works on the G-Box but haven't tried. I can test that for you this weekend. I believe Comcast is much more lenient and most non-premium (SHO/HBO) channels are copy freely.

Most of my recordings are OTA of network TV. Those should be copy freely, correct?

OTA recordings are almost certainly copy freely, so that shouldn't be a problem with compatibility.

The $99 Ouya is not out yet, and I'm not sure when it will be available to the public who did not commit to the Kickstarter project, so I cannot comment on whether you should get one or the other. I imagine that although the Ouya garnered some attention over the last 6 months with its XBMC announcement, the Android- and Linux-based set top boxes will continue to come out faster and cheaper, and thus, likely have a broader support base of developers. There will also be the likely few months up front where beta testing gets out the big kinks in the software that are already mostly worked out for Android. Right now, the Pivos Xios and the G-Box seem to be the top contenders for XBMC STB's. Some prever Pivos because of its more active role in funding XBMC development/hardware, but that unit has a slower processor and less memory than the G-Box. In a year, that will all change as more dual/quad-core processors with more RAM and faster GPUs come out. It's a pretty dyanmic landscape right now, but the hardware is sufficient for me in that it handles 99% of my files without a hitch.

This article describes a quick comparison between Ouya and G-Box.

Regular price so its NOT a deal, secondly, if you want to try these type of Chinese Android device at least go for a dual core processor like this sells for $45 LINK

flyhighutah said:   Regular price so its NOT a deal, secondly, if you want to try these type of Chinese Android device at least go for a dual core processor like this sells for $45 LINK
Regular price on Amazon is $129 for this unit.
The Mk808 does not do hardware acceleration since hardware is not open source. CPU gets very hot during XBMC running for this reason.
Wifi has known issues with being very slow.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

mistadeal said:   flyhighutah said:   Regular price so its NOT a deal, secondly, if you want to try these type of Chinese Android device at least go for a dual core processor like this sells for $45 LINK
Regular price on Amazon is $129 for this unit.
The Mk808 does not do hardware acceleration since hardware is not open source. CPU gets very hot during XBMC running for this reason.
Wifi has known issues with being very slow.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

No you are incorrect, take a look again the regular price on Amazon is $179.99 with three and half shinning stars out of five. LOL

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014