• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Start Configuration/Purchase Here (Thanks mbruns for better entry point)

These are heavy laptops, meant as workstation replacements. They're not super-portable; the 15" units weigh over 6 pounds.

Don't be put off by the 2nd gen i7. The main improvement of the 3rd generation is in HD graphics; since these systems have dedicated GPUs, that's not important.

I bought a system with the following specs, for around $1900. The only thing I'm not happy about, is GDDR3 instead of GDDR5. I'm really psyched about the 128GB miniSSD for booting/applications paired with the 750GB HDD for data storage.

==========================
i7-2860M Quad Core 2.50GHz 8MB Cache
NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB GDDR3
15.6" 1920x1080 Display w LED backlight and Premium Panel Guarantee
2GB RAM (I've got 2x8GB sticks of my own)
128GB mini SSD card as primary boot drive
750GB 2.5" HDD 7200 RPM as second drive
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 with installation media
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013
E-Port Plus, Advanced Port Replicator for docking
8X DVD Burner
5 YearProSupport & Next Business Day Onsite Service
==========================

Member Summary

Dell Precision Mobile Workstations
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
the M4600 is gone, M6600 is still available (clearly selling them out)
If you would still like a M4600, there is a 25% of... (more)

doctorevil (Mar. 26, 2013 @ 9:48p) |

Green for OP.
For me personally considering the weight/price etc I would like a Latitude E6430.

Mercx (Mar. 26, 2013 @ 10:47p) |

Cancelled original reordered with gift cards the whole process is painful but they made additional price mistakes, makin... (more)

watchtower77 (Mar. 28, 2013 @ 5:44p) |

  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Dell
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

what would be the cost of their cheapest setup?
$2000 is definitely not a deal

I found $890 to be the cheapest. Killer deal for an i7 Quad with 2GB video card.

I configured one for $1060 with all the options I'd want at a minimum.

ramtor said:   what would be the cost of their cheapest setup?
$2000 is definitely not a deal


If you're looking for a budget system, then this is definitely not the system for you. This is a portable workstation for people who need serious computing power. Not everyone needs a GPU with 384 cores....I intend to use them for some FEM simulations.

Sold out? Dell page tries to send you to the M4700.

stinhoutx said:   Sold out? Dell page tries to send you to the M4700.

When I click on the link I provided in the OP, it still takes me to the config page for the M4600.

When I bought my system, the M4700 was also on sale [link to config/purchase for M4700]. They had the 3rd Gen i7s and newer graphics cards (like the AMD M4000 w 1GB GDDR5); but the prices weren't nearly as good. For example: adding M$Office Home/Student 2013 to the M4600 only cost me another $65....the least expensive M$Office option on the M4700 costs $189.

As another example: on the M4600, going from the 320GB HDD alone to the 128GB SSD with 750 GB HDD cost an extra $240 (just about the same cost as doing it yourself). Getting the 128GB SSD with 750 GB HDD would cost an extra $380 on the M4700....so the exact same upgrade on the M4700 is $140 more expensive than it is on the M4600.

.....

.....

Yeah, I just configured an M4700 in the same way I configured the M4600 and it's over $1000 more expensive than the M4600.

Just bought 2 of the M6600's for my business. Similar specs but a 17" screen.

I'm setup as a Dell Reseller. While I don't sell much, I occasionally use them in the products I manufacture. The Dell phone reseller team COULD NOT resell this laptop, their system gave them a "SIGNIFICANT Negative Margin" warning based on the cart. They advised me to purchase on the web.

They also asked where I found the deal. I didn't reply.


mbruns said:   Just bought 2 of the M6600's for my business. Similar specs but a 17" screen.

I'm setup as a Dell Reseller. While I don't sell much, I occasionally use them in the products I manufacture. The Dell phone reseller team COULD NOT resell this laptop, their system gave them a "SIGNIFICANT Negative Margin" warning based on the cart. They advised me to purchase on the web.

They also asked where I found the deal. I didn't reply.


How about a little Green Love for the OP? ;0)

Great price and a great desktop replacement. I gave some green and can't believe someone gave red...

These are heavy duty, well built commercial machines. These aren't the all plastic $399 Compaq specials.

I bought an M4600 from the Dell outlet two weeks ago and received it last Friday. Absolutely love it. It's got an older processor than the one listed here and so it's hard to do an exact apples to apples but for anyone that's interested below are the specs. Total price after tax: $924. It's a scratch & dent model but that didn't really matter to me (works perfectly and no issues with the screen + 3 years NBD Service).

Dell Outlet Precision Mobile WorkStation M4600 Laptop
Information
Internal Backlit Keyboard - English
Wave Systems Software
9 Cell Primary Battery
Service Software
Software
Shipping Material
15.6 inch FHD (1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED with Premium Panel
Software
Fingerprint Reader Internal
LCD back cover
Label
Label
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Operating System DVD
Documentation
Software
Bezel
Information
AMD FirePro M5950 Mobility Pro Graphics with 1GB GDDR5
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Operating System DVD
12 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Operating System DVD
Trend Micro 16.6 PC-cillin 30 Day
Scratch & Dent
320 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
180W A/C Adapter, 3P
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate
Slot Load Bezel
Processor: Intel Core i7-2720M Quad Core Processor (2.20GHz, 6M Cache)
125V Power Cord
Intel 6300 Wireless-N (2x2) Half Mini-Card
Heatsink
8X Slot Load DVD+/-RW Drive
Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module
Label
Documentation
INTEL VPRO TECHNOLOGY ADV MGMT FEATURES

Never seen so many people get excited about workstations...lol.

I configured one for 1386.90....with tax it is $1550ish, and I'm not sure I could beat the price for this kind of quality. While I have no need for 5 year support, 3 years is typical (our laptops don't stick around for more than 3 years). Put on Microsoft 2013 Home and Business (cheaper than we could get a business license for) for that price, the 128GB SSD and the 750GB 2nd hard drive, slot load DVD drive. Only thing I would add later is memory, as 8GB for an extra $108 just didn't seem like a deal.

You can get around to get some lower end processors if you click on the want Office 2010 (which doesn't offer Office 2010 but does give access to dual core processors instead of quad core). The positive is your overall system can be cheaper. The negative is all the upgrades are through the roof in price. So, if you want a solid base system and to do your hd and memory upgrades after market, it isn't a bad way to go.

docjoo said:   Never seen so many people get excited about workstations...lol.

The dedicated GPU really streams p0rn smoothly!

[ While I have no need for 5 year support, 3 years is typical (our laptops don't stick around for more than 3 years).

I upgrade my personal system about every 3 years and I retain the old system as a backup/auxiliary. That way, I've always got 24-7 access to a working system. Having all those computers often comes in handy: for a 6-week period last year, I had every computer in my house running applied math simulations in MATLAB....even an old Pentium-4. The P-4 was able to process the least computationally intensive scenario.

XYNZ said:   [ While I have no need for 5 year support, 3 years is typical (our laptops don't stick around for more than 3 years).

I upgrade my personal system about every 3 years and I retain the old system as a backup/auxiliary. That way, I've always got 24-7 access to a working system. Having all those computers often comes in handy: for a 6-week period last year, I had every computer in my house running applied math simulations in MATLAB....even an old Pentium-4. The P-4 was able to process the least computationally intensive scenario.
So did you calculate the endtime of the world or solve the GUT? Maybe you found the cure for cancer or the 47th Mersenne prime.

Please elaborate.

docjoo said:   Never seen so many people get excited about workstations...lol.

the m6600 is the best pc laptop on the market IMO. Max RAM Supported 32 GB, no junky HP or Toshiba gonna do that.
I was looking at it here link

I'm Sooo tempted cause I want, but just bought laptop.

delzy said:   XYNZ said:   [ While I have no need for 5 year support, 3 years is typical (our laptops don't stick around for more than 3 years).

I upgrade my personal system about every 3 years and I retain the old system as a backup/auxiliary. That way, I've always got 24-7 access to a working system. Having all those computers often comes in handy: for a 6-week period last year, I had every computer in my house running applied math simulations in MATLAB....even an old Pentium-4. The P-4 was able to process the least computationally intensive scenario.
So did you calculate the endtime of the world or solve the GUT? Maybe you found the cure for cancer or the 47th Mersenne prime.

Please elaborate.


Get in line. My PhD is based on the results of those simulations: my > 500 page doctoral dissertation has been provisionally accepted. I have to submit the final version of the dissertation (incorporating amendments based on the reviewers' critiques), by the end of April. After that, I'll be submitting journal papers for publication.

I can tell you this: my topic deals with eigenanalysis of hyperdimensional time series data.

XYNZ said:   

I can tell you this: my topic deals with eigenanalysis of hyperdimensional time series data.

Not a night goes by that we aren't discussing this very topic down at the corner bar.

miqie said:   XYNZ said:   

I can tell you this: my topic deals with eigenanalysis of hyperdimensional time series data.

Not a night goes by that we aren't discussing this very topic down at the corner bar.


It's because of Clavin ....he always thinks he knows everything.

Sooooo tempted, but I just bought an 500GB SSD to avoid upgrading my laptop this year. If you order this with only one hard drive, can you self install a drive in the other bay? I need a good laptop for virtual machines - studying for the GPEN and hopefully GCIH this summer.

BassPlayer said:   Sooooo tempted, but I just bought an 500GB SSD to avoid upgrading my laptop this year. If you order this with only one hard drive, can you self install a drive in the other bay? I need a good laptop for virtual machines - studying for the GPEN and hopefully GCIH this summer.


There is only a single 2.5" drive bay. The motherboard has an additional port for connecting a mini-SATA SSD drive: it is much smaller than the normal 2.5" HDD form factor.

XYNZ said:   BassPlayer said:   Sooooo tempted, but I just bought an 500GB SSD to avoid upgrading my laptop this year. If you order this with only one hard drive, can you self install a drive in the other bay? I need a good laptop for virtual machines - studying for the GPEN and hopefully GCIH this summer.


There is only a single 2.5" drive bay. The motherboard has an additional port for connecting a mini-SATA SSD drive: it is much smaller than the normal 2.5" HDD form factor.


XYNZ is correct for the M4600, it has one standard drive bay. However, the M6600 has 2x standard 2.5" drive bays. I'm doing the same as you, BassPlayer. 500GB M4 SSD I bought a few months ago as a primary drive, the 750gb drive here as a secondary. Plus 32GB of ram from other deals.

Again for everyone looking at this thread, these are NOT light laptops. They're around about 8 pounds fully loaded. If you need a portable just for email or web browsing, buy an iPad/Kindle Fire or something cheap.

But for serious Engineering/CAD/Math use, you're not going to find better price/performance.

Sweet deal if I had the money I would get one.

I got a configuration of $915 with self-supplied SSD and more RAM in mind -- Drooling. If the deal can last to April then I may be able to arrange a budget for it ...

I have a little workstation envy. I used to be an Avid editor, and the last time I bought for myself was a new outlet M series for @$1100 with a Centrino processor. I bought 2, sold one for +$200 to reduce cost of a new 24" Dell monitor when they finally broke the $600 level. Makes me drool to see whats up. I think this is 10x better than the $50k HP system we purchased in 2005/6.
edit
broke down ordered 1 for a friend, just so I can touch it lol.
Thanks OP.

Dell is currently offering their gift card bonuses. If you buy $400 they will add a promotional gift of $75.
I have a system specced out for $990 shipped and was hoping to buy two gift cards to make it $840 out of pocket.

Does anyone have experience with how long it'll take Dell to send the bonus gift card codes?

https://dell.cashstar.com/gift-card/buy/?delivery=EM&ref=dell1

mbruns said:   XYNZ said:   BassPlayer said:   Sooooo tempted, but I just bought an 500GB SSD to avoid upgrading my laptop this year. If you order this with only one hard drive, can you self install a drive in the other bay? I need a good laptop for virtual machines - studying for the GPEN and hopefully GCIH this summer.


There is only a single 2.5" drive bay. The motherboard has an additional port for connecting a mini-SATA SSD drive: it is much smaller than the normal 2.5" HDD form factor.


XYNZ is correct for the M4600, it has one standard drive bay. However, the M6600 has 2x standard 2.5" drive bays. I'm doing the same as you, BassPlayer. 500GB M4 SSD I bought a few months ago as a primary drive, the 750gb drive here as a secondary. Plus 32GB of ram from other deals.


the msata slot is only sata 3gb/s. this'll be fixed with the haswell architecture (series 7 chipsets support two sata 6gb/s ports, series 8 supports 6). I was disappointed after putting a 180gb intel 525 into my refurb m4700. what you can do is swap out the optical disk drive for something like this.

the M4600 is gone, M6600 is still available (clearly selling them out)
If you would still like a M4600, there is a 25% off coupon via Dell Outlet (I just purchased a loaded system for < $1000):

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/precision-laptops?~ck=anav

Dell Precision M4600 mobile workstation
Take 25% off any Dell Outlet Dell Precision M4600 mobile workstation with coupon* code below!
Limited time, while supplies last!

Coupon Code:
0BHZCQ355S3T25

Green for OP.
For me personally considering the weight/price etc I would like a Latitude E6430.

Cancelled original reordered with gift cards the whole process is painful but they made additional price mistakes, making it worthwhile.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014