• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Rapid Rack 4 Shelf All-Steel Storage Unit @ Kmart.com - $17.99

Buy Online, Pick Up In Store

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Kmart.com
See Kmart.com promo codes that earn 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

What is the shelf weight capacity? Any idea on the steel sheet thickness / gauge? specially of the shelves?

Looks quite flimsy and might be as similar to one I have owned but not so sure -- as could not find such details

Size: 30" x 60" x 12"
Weight Capacity: 200 lbs (That has to be total capacity = 50 lbs/shelf)

great deal

I bought a house that had a bunch of these in the garage. They are ok, if you don't plan on putting heavy things on them. Make sure to tighten everything down, especially the rear cross bracing, once I did that they felt more sturdy. I had a case of beer on a middle shelf and it rocked back and forth, so I ended up anchoring these racks to the walls and now they don't move.

For similar money I would recommend these, if you can find them in stock
HDX shelf from Home Depot

breaux124 said:   I bought a house that had a bunch of these in the garage. They are ok, if you don't plan on putting heavy things on them. Make sure to tighten everything down, especially the rear cross bracing, once I did that they felt more sturdy. I had a case of beer on a middle shelf and it rocked back and forth, so I ended up anchoring these racks to the walls and now they don't move.

Wow thanks! those are in stock @HD near me for $19.88 so barely 2 bucks more, and very sturdy at 150 lb/shelf ...

I am a bit leery of Kmart ones, got them but will likely cancel due to the one I already have as they need to be securely fastened at back wall and despite cross braces not that even when loaded to under max capacity, now confirmed by size per purvis.

invisible said:   breaux124 said:   I bought a house that had a bunch of these in the garage. They are ok, if you don't plan on putting heavy things on them. Make sure to tighten everything down, especially the rear cross bracing, once I did that they felt more sturdy. I had a case of beer on a middle shelf and it rocked back and forth, so I ended up anchoring these racks to the walls and now they don't move.

Wow thanks! those are in stock @HD near me for $19.88 so barely 2 bucks more, and very sturdy at 150 lb/shelf ...

I am a bit leery of Kmart ones, got them but will likely cancel due to the one I already have as they need to be securely fastened at back wall and despite cross braces not that even when loaded to under max capacity, now confirmed by size per purvis.

The HDX shelves are much stronger and larger, but the few I bought did require trimming some of the molded plastic parts before assembly. If you don't trim them, then they might not sit even in the end. And these HDX shelves are sturdy enough to put some weight on, I've got a middle shelf that has about 7 cans of used paint and that one shelf doesn't flex and the entire unit is solid.

When I bought these, online it said my local HD had 5 in stock, when I made it to the store they had an entire end cap full of them, at least 20. So I'm not sure how accurate their online inventory is for these items.

breaux124 said:   invisible said:   breaux124 said:   I bought a house that had a bunch of these in the garage. They are ok, if you don't plan on putting heavy things on them. Make sure to tighten everything down, especially the rear cross bracing, once I did that they felt more sturdy. I had a case of beer on a middle shelf and it rocked back and forth, so I ended up anchoring these racks to the walls and now they don't move.

The HDX shelves are much stronger and larger, but the few I bought did require trimming some of the molded plastic parts before assembly. If you don't trim them, then they might not sit even in the end. And these HDX shelves are sturdy enough to put some weight on, I've got a middle shelf that has about 7 cans of used paint and that one shelf doesn't flex and the entire unit is solid.

When I bought these, online it said my local HD had 5 in stock, when I made it to the store they had an entire end cap full of them, at least 20. So I'm not sure how accurate their online inventory is for these items.

online inventory seems absolutely pathetic. I ordered 2, and order got canceled after confirmation!

even now inventory shows 2 in stock at same store -- makes no sense ... will need to call them to see what is going on ...

purvis said:   Size: 30" x 60" x 12"
Weight Capacity: 200 lbs (That has to be total capacity = 50 lbs/shelf)

Wrong it turns out: it is 125 lb per shelf so quite sturdier than I imagined.... keeping it

Anyway I also went with suggestion from breaux124 for HomeDepot shelf: got 2 from one store and 3 from another, both orders got canceled but each place offered to upgrade me to a MUCH nicer higher shelf since that product number is inactive and is their system glitch -- so each Homedepot manager on their own has offered shelves that are in one case $57.xx retail and other at $47 retail .. but at the paid proces of $19.xx each ... so really made out like a bandit ... paid off on politely venting the frustration of order cancellation

Now my home is complete with all the shelving I need, thanks FW, OP and breaux124 !!

Note the 'evenly distributed' shelf rating. That's a big key in accomplishing that load.
Still might be a ok price for light stuff.

anybody know how these stack up compared to the two shelves previously mentioned?

Menards

Currently on sale @ 19.99

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014