• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Madagascar Vanilla Beans
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Beanilla is an awesome source for high quality beans. However, if you're just looking for Madagascar vanilla, try Amazon for better pricing.

Here's 1/4 lb for $16 for those with Amazon Prime:
Bean me

If you have a vacuum sealer I would recommend buying a full pound at once.
pound

I ordered from them back in late Oct 2012. I was going to make vanilla extract for Christmas gifts. It wasn't quite enough time to get whole beans to release their flavor, but the beans I split did. The extract is amazing, far FAR better than store bought.

If I remember correctly 10 beans should be enough to use in a full fifth of vodka. Also, make sure you buy the cheapest vodka you can find...the alcohol bakes out during cooking!

kdn102 said:   

If I remember correctly 10 beans should be enough to use in a full fifth of vodka. Also, make sure you buy the cheapest vodka you can find...the alcohol bakes out during cooking!

Wouldn't you want something like Everclear?

You can also use food grade glycerin.

When making Kahlua I always add the alcohol (everclear) once the mixure has cooled down, you shouldn't add it hot or even warm....

Overzeetop said:   Wouldn't you want something like Everclear?

I have no idea. Every recipe I read called for vodka. Most grocery store extract is around 30-40% so I would imagine that vodka definitely makes a more comparable result. If you use Everclear you may need to adjust each recipe for the higher concentration.

I'm sticking with vodka for more than one reason...it was also cheaper than Everclear. 750ml of the bottom shelf stuff was $6 on sale...750ml of Everclear was $16. To make the vodka hit 190 proof, you need 2.375 more booze (190/80), so it has an effective price of $14.25 (190/80 * $6).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014