Error

The message you are trying to link to is not in this topic.

• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Cree LED 9.5 W (60w) light bulb for $12.97 only at Home Depot. 10 year warranty. Available in Warm White and Outside Light versions. 40w version is only $9.97. Currently available online only but free shipping for store pick up. It is suppose to be in stores in a few weeks too.

Home Depot Link

Home Depot
Need a Home Depot coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Cree LED 9.5W Light Bulb
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This bulb will work fine with older Craftsman Garage Opener 139.53964SRT. Have you consider swap out with another LED b... (more)

speedy777 (Jul. 03, 2013 @ 8:35p) |

My garage door has the ability to set channels .. and it is 15 years old. Yours might too.

rjr311 (Jul. 04, 2013 @ 8:12a) |

I put in a CFL, which also has a switching power supply in it, but it works fine. I'm sure I could find an LED to use in... (more)

HappyScrappyHeroPup (Jul. 08, 2013 @ 2:31a) |

So this is a:
1)well reviewed bulb
2)Cheaper than other bulbs
3)Apparently made in the USA!

Per this article, they are made in the USA:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/05/2727881/cree-unveils-10-led-bulb-for-consumers.html

"The new residential bulbs are being manufacturing in Durham, where Cree employs 2,335 people. About 200 people were hired to manufacture the new bulb, Watson said."
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

"Backordered Online Until: 03/20/2013" Still a decent price to give LED a try.

Thanks, OP!

Surprising a light bulb would be reviewed, but it had a positive one on the verge: http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/5/4068174/cree-10-dollar-led-ligh...

It's strange Cree is local, but I have never seen their products in the local HD stores.

Last night the local news had a story about Cree's $10 40&60W LED bulbs which they said should be out soon.
Maybe these are those bulbs. But they did say $10 for the 60W, and $13 is not $10. Ah, just notice the ones linked above are 2700K, the news had also said the new ones are "daylight" which I take as meaning 6500K. But I know marketers use the term for down to 5000K, 2700K is a stretch even for those in brain dead folks in marketing.

I would use these when my cfl burn out. From an energy save perspective its not enough to warrant the cost going from cfl to led.

Here's a recent and informative article on Cree: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/05/2727881/cree-unveils-10-l...

they also have the daylight (5000k) version for a dollar more at $13.97: link

our electric bill is lower by a third since switching to leds in december. our payback period is about ten months. thank you cree and Home Depot for bringing affordable led technology to the consumer.

This bulb looks like a good bulb for use in garages, etc. But at an 80 CRI it doesn't have the best quality of light. If you are using an LED in a place where you at all concerned about color rendition (bathrooms, perhaps living/familiy/den where you spend a lot of time) you might be better off with the slightly more expensive Philips and its 90 CRI.

I'm going to get one for sure to check the dimmability, because CREEs claims for dimmer compatibility are extraordinary.

Note, this isn't actually a hot deal, these are list prices. Great list prices though.

Nice to see not only the price drop but also and increase in efficiency these are rated at 9.5 watts vs the more usual 13 watts for similar lumen output from most other 60 watt equiv. If my math is right these are about 84 watts per lumen. Worth grabbing a couple. Also like the daylight version as I am getting less enamored with warm whites these days.

dodotion said:   why would anyone pay this price for a lightbulb,,the old time "good bulbs are 25 cents a piece..i stocked up for a lifetime...

sendslim said:   our electric bill is lower by a third since switching to leds in december. our payback period is about ten months.

Very true beatme, these and CFLs pay for themselves in less than a year. Also you will probably never need to replace these LEDs.

On the other hand, I do wish the gov would not FORCE us to stop using incandescent. If they understood free markets, they would know that no action was necessary and the change would happen on its own.

beatme said:   dodotion said:   why would anyone pay this price for a lightbulb,,the old time "good bulbs are 25 cents a piece..i stocked up for a lifetime...

sendslim said:   our electric bill is lower by a third since switching to leds in december. our payback period is about ten months.
Use incandescent in the winter, LED in the summer, you get to wipe down the bulbs twice a year, bulbs last twice as long, unless you drop them.

sendslim said:   our electric bill is lower by a third since switching to leds in december. our payback period is about ten months. thank you cree and Home Depot for bringing affordable led technology to the consumer.

How large is your home, what is your electric bill, and how many lights did you replace?

I recently replaced about 30 cans with CFL bulbs, installed about 12 new LED cans in my kitchen, replaced all my ceiling fixtures with LED bulbs, and just about all my fixtures with CFLs.

I have yet to see a significant decrease in my electric bill.

For some reason it is not letting me do free shipping for store pick up as an option. I guess I'll wait until they stock these locally. Thanks OP.

outtawhack said:   sendslim said:   our electric bill is lower by a third since switching to leds in december. our payback period is about ten months. thank you cree and Home Depot for bringing affordable led technology to the consumer.

How large is your home, what is your electric bill, and how many lights did you replace?

I recently replaced about 30 cans with CFL bulbs, installed about 12 new LED cans in my kitchen, replaced all my ceiling fixtures with LED bulbs, and just about all my fixtures with CFLs.

I have yet to see a significant decrease in my electric bill.

The key is how often you use the lights you are replacing. The payback is measured in on hours, off hours don't matter.

If you replaced incandescent bulbs you use a lot with LEDs you use a lot, you should see payback in not too long. Of course it matters how much your electricity costs too.

You'll save 1kWh per 20 hours on time. In your family room/den a light can be on 40 hours a week. 10 months payback seems like it'd be hard at average electric rates, 18 might be more workable.

If you installed new lights ("new LED cans"), then of course you can raise your electric bill.

If you really replaced the majority of your normally used lights in your house, then unless you never light your house you should have seen a noticeable decrease in your electric bill.

dodotion said:   why would anyone pay this price for a lightbulb,,the old time "good bulbs are 25 cents a piece..i stocked up for a lifetime...
New Bulbs
old time "good bulbs

My condo has about 30 bulbs in it (a large house could have 60+).
"Old" bulbs cost $7/year, for $210 a year.
"New" bulbs cost $1/year, for $30 a year.

Yearly savings: $180
Savings over 10 years: $1,800
Initial cost: $390
New bulbs have an estimated life of: 22.8 years
Even if the new bulbs die 1/2 way through their life, your "old time" bulbs will cost you $1,410 more to use.

Here's another advantage of LED bulbs - bugs are not attracted to LED light since there really isn't a UV component. So the CREE bulb is perfect for your front or back porch as it won't attract a bunch of bugs. Please note you would want the warm white not the daylight version.

Mastayau said:   I would use these when my cfl burn out. From an energy save perspective its not enough to warrant the cost going from cfl to led.

I switched out a bunch of my CFLs for LEDs because I got tired of "waiting" for my CFLs to turn on (to full brightness).

Kaadamson said:   Here's a recent and informative article on Cree: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/05/2727881/cree-unveils-10-l...

Thanks for the link.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   This bulb looks like a good bulb for use in garages, etc. But at an 80 CRI it doesn't have the best quality of light. If you are using an LED in a place where you at all concerned about color rendition (bathrooms, perhaps living/familiy/den where you spend a lot of time) you might be better off with the slightly more expensive Philips and its 90 CRI.

I'm going to get one for sure to check the dimmability, because CREEs claims for dimmer compatibility are extraordinary.

Note, this isn't actually a hot deal, these are list prices. Great list prices though.

HappyScrappyHeroPup, which of the Philips are you talking about? Is that the new L-Class bulb? I didn't think the standard 12.5W 2700K (which is under $15) has those specs. The L-Class bulb retails close to $30.

Order the 6-pack for $74.82 and use the HDMAR05 coupon code for $5 off $50...also get free shipping since it's over $45.
Ends up ~$11.64/bulb plus tax.

Anybody compared these side by side with the philips?

Great Calculator to figure out the payback period.

Payback Calc.

for question 5, I used $10 as the cost difference between CFL and the CRE LED.

For me its right around 2.5 years. Might invest in a few when the right coupon comes around.

sendslim said:   our electric bill is lower by a third since switching to leds in december. our payback period is about ten months. thank you cree and Home Depot for bringing affordable led technology to the consumer.

Highly unlikely

Can either this or the daylight version be mounted in an enclosed fixture like the frosted glass half dome ceiling fixtures that are fairly common?

Im just too cheap. Cant do it. $8 and some change if you buy the 6 pack of 40W Cree with the HD $5 off code, but still can't do it.

neal126 said:   Great Calculator to figure out the payback period.

Payback Calc.

for question 5, I used $10 as the cost difference between CFL and the CRE LED.

For me its right around 2.5 years. Might invest in a few when the right coupon comes around.

Living in Florida, where we have to use a lot of A/C (almost year-round, not quite), I think another big factor to consider is energy saved on cooling costs that would have to offset the heat of traditional bulbs....much less heat generated = don't need to run A/C as much to offset the heat generated by the lighting.

I'm thinking putting these in the p.i.t.a. places in my house - the thought of not having to replace them for 10 years works for me - whether they save electricity or not.

This is definately possible. My electric bill was lowered by about 25% by using led's in places that we have the lights on frequently - i.e. outside lights, living room, kitchen, hallway. I was replacing incandescent bulbs with led's. If you are replacing cfl's with led's it might not add up to much savings.

Replaced every incadescent bulb in my house about a year ago with CFL. No savings on electric bill...it actually went up!. It's all marketing hype.

Also I've had 5 of the CFLs die during the year that I've had them...so much for the long life crap the marketing department talks about. I've replaced them with incadescents and the first time you switch the incadescents on you realize how poor the light from the CFLs really was. I just replaced a CFL in my kitchen with an incadescent and it's like I have a new kitchen!

I think I'll buy a couple of these LEDs just to test them before committing to a total swap out again. Might cut down on how hard the A/C has to work in the Summer.

Thanks OP!

Thanks OP I'll wait a couple weeks and look in-store so I can use my 10% off. Been waiting for a more economical solution than the Phillips - which I only use in dimming fixtures since CFLs are horrible for that (even dimmable CFLs)

djscal said:   This is definately possible. My electric bill was lowered by about 25% by using led's in places that we have the lights on frequently - i.e. outside lights, living room, kitchen, hallway. I was replacing incandescent bulbs with led's. If you are replacing cfl's with led's it might not add up to much savings.

You must heat your house, cool your house, cook your food, wash and dry your clothes, and heat your hot water with gas then....

Our Electric Company will love these. Does this sound familiar to anyone:

Our revenues dropped due to conservation, so we increased rates to make up the shortfall.
Our usage increased so we had to buy more power, so we increased rates.
Nothing really changed, but we need to increase rates to cover potential changes.
You're screwed no matter what, so we increased our rates.

You can't win!

mrhineh said:   Our Electric Company will love these. Does this sound familiar to anyone:

Our revenues dropped due to conservation, so we increased rates to make up the shortfall.
Our usage increased so we had to buy more power, so we increased rates.
Nothing really changed, but we need to increase rates to cover potential changes.
You're screwed no matter what, so we increased our rates.

You can't win!

Your so right but I'm still switching to LED. Not having to change the light in the 10ft high hallway for a very long time is a plus in my book.

Dang't. They are backordered now, and they also don't have free instore pickup (might be related). I wanted to try one of each.

vanheve2 said:   dodotion said:   why would anyone pay this price for a lightbulb,,the old time "good bulbs are 25 cents a piece..i stocked up for a lifetime...
New Bulbs
old time "good bulbs

My condo has about 30 bulbs in it (a large house could have 60+).
"Old" bulbs cost $7/year, for $210 a year.
"New" bulbs cost $1/year, for $30 a year.

Yearly savings: $180
Savings over 10 years: $1,800
Initial cost: $390
New bulbs have an estimated life of: 22.8 years
Even if the new bulbs die 1/2 way through their life, your "old time" bulbs will cost you $1,410 more to use.

But those new bulbs dim with time. Figure that into your equation.

Does anyone read from their news release/s if they will be producing Bright White bulbs? (3500K).
That's the type I'll be looking forward to purchase.

I wonder how many lamp manufactures are going to stick with the standard bulb sicket going forward? I'm seeing a lot of ceiling / wall lights that are going to a candleabra / alternate socket fitting that would render these bulbs useless if you replaced your lamps.

wjwj, yes they are producing bright white bulbs too. They call it Daylight which is 5,000 K and it cost $13.97

Skipping 84 Messages...
speedy777 said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   CreveCoeur said:   Thank You Sir!

I have been replacing batteries and buying new remotes for 2 months. It was so frustrating the door would open but never close with remote. Put in 2 CFL and it works great now.
Seeing as they operate at 315 MHz maybe Alex Jones is on to something about the LED bulbs spying on us.

Yeah, the no close but open thing was what tipped me off too.

I could press the button to open the garage door from 80 yards away, but I couldn't press the button to close it from 15 feet outside my garage? It took a while to notice the difference was the light was on when trying to close it and off when opening.

I'd like to use an LED bulb in my garage door opener and the Crees are the cheapest good one, maybe I'll try to contact Cree and see if they want to work out a fix with Chamberlain somehow.

This bulb will work fine with older Craftsman Garage Opener 139.53964SRT. Have you consider swap out with another LED bulb to see if it is the same thing? It may have slightly different frequency, which may not interfere with your garage opener.

I put in a CFL, which also has a switching power supply in it, but it works fine. I'm sure I could find an LED to use in there, but I don't really need an LED there badly enough. I'll use the CFL until it burns out.

As to changing frequencies, no opener does that anymore. Your 15 year old one probably didn't either. You probably can just change the code sent, not the frequency it is sent on.

Either way, changing frequencies a few MHz probably wouldn't cut it. When these CFLs burn out, I'll find some LEDs that work, I have 4 other kinds of good LED bulbs in my house right now, I just can't be bothered to switch them all around.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014