• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Michelin Energy Saver All Season Tires - at Tire Rack
Size: 235 x 50 x 17" $99 @ + shipping, etc.
Other sizes in same Michelin Series are the $170@ range

LINK

-- or (better), get local B&M stores to pricematch -- NTB, Pep Boys, Sears, etc.

Member Summary

Michelin A/S Energy Saver Tires
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

My SUV takes 245/65R17. Would these work?

Any rebates??

I bought Michelin Energy Saver for my sonata last year @ $85+rebates to lock in a Great deal. Still haven't mounted them though.

Apparently they're lighter so they save on gas.

The short answer is yes, they will physically mount to your wheels, but in my opinion there would be too much of a difference in the overall diameter of the tire.
Here is a handy tire size calculator http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
These would make your car sit about 1.5" lower than it does now, and make your speedometer read 7mph faster than you were actually going (good if you want to trick a spouse into driving slower)

vickh said:   My SUV takes 245/65R17. Would these work?

Any rebates??

I bought Michelin Energy Saver for my sonata last year @ $85+rebates to lock in a Great deal. Still haven't mounted them though.

Apparently they're lighter so they save on gas.

Tires have a 6 year life from manufacture date, not install date. Rubber degrades from exposure to oxygen. You should install them soon.

EradicateSpam said:   

Tires have a 6 year life from manufacture date, not install date. Rubber degrades from exposure to oxygen. You should install them soon.

thanks for that. They're still @ discount tire. I'll make sure I get new stock!

GregL2 said:   The short answer is yes, they will physically mount to your wheels, but in my opinion there would be too much of a difference in the overall diameter of the tire.
Here is a handy tire size calculator http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
These would make your car sit about 1.5" lower than it does now, and make your speedometer read 7mph faster than you were actually going (good if you want to trick a spouse into driving slower)

I actually want the suv to be a little lower. how about RPM/ handling/safety/fuel efficiency?

will discount tire/ WalMart install??

You want to stay within 3% of the oem size. Wider tires are more noisy and wear out quicker imo.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator
WalMart here does all 4 tires with lifetime balance and rotate for about $50 on carry in tires.
BJs wholesale fills them with nitrogen which supposely will give them more life but they dont do carry in tires.

Thx. Great link.. Mentioned brake failure

Speed Variance: 12.52% too fast.
Diameter Variance: 11.13%

I'll still try to get a PM. Not sure if Michelin even makes 245/65R17 energy savers??

Closest I could find is

P225/65R-17 100T BSW

Speed Variance: 3.59% too fast.
Diameter Variance: 3.47%

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/245-65R17/22...

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/michelin/product/byName.d...

Do yourself and your fellow road mates a favor and only buy the tire size(s) that are recommended for your vehicle. Today's vehicle systems (ABS, stability control, suspension, steering, AWD, etc) are designed to work with OEM sized tires. While you can usually get away with Plus-Zero or Plus-One sizing, you really need to know if your vehicle is compatible with a non-OEM, alternate, size.

BTW, most tire installers will not install non-OEM recommended tire sizes; too much of a liability risk.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Do yourself and your fellow road mates a favor and only buy the tire size(s) that are recommended for your vehicle. Today's vehicle systems (ABS, stability control, suspension, steering, AWD, etc) are designed to work with OEM sized tires. While you can usually get away with Plus-Zero or Plus-One sizing, you really need to know if your vehicle is compatible with a non-OEM, alternate, size.

BTW, most tire installers will not install non-OEM recommended tire sizes; too much of a liability risk.

I agree, that's why I was trying to be within 3% of OEM. still R17, just width and profile difference.

EZ enough to figure out what same rolling size is though.
OEM tire for my car is 215x55x17
Since we're not talking about changing wheel size, ignore the 17" portion
multipy 215 x 55 = 11,825
size up calculates as 11,825/50 = 236.5 (thread width for 50 series sidewall)
or-- 235 x 50 - 11,750

11,825 / 11,750 = 1.0063 -- pretty close.

Here is the math for actual rolling diameter, use it as an approximation only. Tires from different manufacturers will almost always vary in actual size, even if they are the same tire size. Using the above sizes for example:

215/55/17

215 x 0.55 x 2 / 25.4 + 17 = 26.31 inches in diameter

235/50/17

235 x 0.50 x 2 / 25.4 + 17 = 26.25 inches in diameter

So your diameter is very close, the only thing you should factor in is your wheel width. The 235/50/17 needs a 6.5" to 8.5" wide wheel to fit properly. A 215/55/17 needs a 6" to 7.5" wide wheel.

are these a new budget line or something? there seems to be a distinction between these and the more established energys.

Neurotic1 said:   are these a new budget line or something? there seems to be a distinction between these and the more established energys.

I was curious too, 2 good a price for Michelins. Salesman said they were just as good, only lighter?? Rating are mostly A

I would like to know what the difference in comfort is compared to the stock 225????

avani733 said:   I would like to know what the difference in comfort is compared to the stock 225????

My tires were 215x55
- these ride a little harder -- due to lower profile, probably
-- but handling (for me) is substantially better, immediate response to steering input - good trade-off IMHO
(grin)

Now even cheaper ...

Get a $70 MasterCard® Reward Card*

Buy any set of four (4) new MICHELIN® brand passenger or light truck tires, and get a $70 MasterCard® Reward Card* after submission. Offer valid on tires purchased from Tire Rack’s in-stock inventory between 12:00 a.m. EDT March 14, 2013 and 11:59 p.m. EDT April 15, 2013.

Appelski said:   avani733 said:   I would like to know what the difference in comfort is compared to the stock 225????

My tires were 215x55
- these ride a little harder -- due to lower profile, probably
-- but handling (for me) is substantially better, immediate response to steering input - good trade-off IMHO
(grin)

My Tire 225x50
is 235 going to rubbing on Wall ???

>> My Tire 225x50
>> is 235 going to rubbing on Wall ???

Lemme see here... 235 -v- 225 235/225 = 4% wider in the tread
..... you better not risk it.

price still good. + Get a $70 MasterCard® Reward Card*

Buy any set of four (4) new MICHELIN® brand passenger or light truck tires, and get a $70 MasterCard® Reward Card* after submission. Offer valid on tires purchased from Tire Rack’s in-stock inventory between 12:00 a.m. EDT March 14, 2013 and 11:59 p.m. EDT April 15, 2013.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014