• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I recently came upon this site and I don't think too many people know about it.

Go on www.goodrx.com

Put in the prescription medication you need to get and your zip code. It will come up with a list of pharmacies nearby and list it by price. It also shows you a discount card you can print out for many drugs.

I recently used it at CVS and got Augmentin for 24 bucks instead of around 65 dollars so I know it works.

Your best best is to go to big name pharmacies. I tried using it at a mom and pop pharmacy and although it was listed on the website they couldn't get the discount to work and finally called in to be told they aren't members.

I hope this saves some people some money.

Member Summary

GoodRx
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Unfortunately unless you make less than $40K, the "affordable" part goes out of the healthcare act.
Essentially it expand... (more)

robby69 (Mar. 18, 2013 @ 10:00a) |

So when I spoke with a pharmacist a few days ago I was told that the generic for augmentin with the same compounds was a... (more)

badboi (Mar. 18, 2013 @ 9:48p) |

+1 for Goodrx.

Price for my meds without insurance $61
With my insurance $22
With goodrx $8

Very easy and this was at a loca... (more)

AaG12 (Mar. 25, 2013 @ 9:57a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Hey there - GoodRx works at small pharmacies as well - if it's listed on the site, it should work. If it doesn't, it's a grumpy pharmacist who doesn't want to use the discount and you should let them know, as they'll resolve it for you.

Have the indy's match the price if possible. They may do it.

Generic name for Augmentin is Amoxicillin / Clavulanate. It's four dollars at WalMart.

badboi said:   Generic name for Augmentin is Amoxicillin / Clavulanate. It's four dollars at WalMart.

Amoxicillin may be but Augmentin is a whole different beast unfortunately. Not a cheap med at all.

If anyone is curious about Wal Mart's 4 dollar meds here's a searchable site.

http://www.walmart.com/cp/PI-4-Prescriptions/1078664

http://antibiotics.emedtv.com/augmentin/generic-augmentin.html

One more time....augmentin is the brand name....generics are available and cost significantly less.

http://www.goodrx.com/augmentin - all the prices you'd ever want for augmentin. go nuts.

famewolf said:   http://antibiotics.emedtv.com/augmentin/generic-augmentin.html

One more time....augmentin is the brand name....generics are available and cost significantly less.

I know augmentin is a brand name. I prescribe it for my patients as an optometrist. amoxicillin/potassium clavulanate is a COMBO drug and is not the same thing as amoxicillin. Amoxicillin can be had for 4 bucks at WalMart. But the generic for augmentin (as you stated correctly) can not. I even double checked to make sure I'm not mistaken and searching wal mart's online rx search there is no mention of 4 dollar amoxicillin/clavulanate. Although there is for amoxicillin.

If I'm confused and you see it for 4 bucks at WalMart (Amoxicillin/potassium Clavulanate) please show me as I know my patients would be ecstatic to know they do not have to pay so much for what is a pretty good drug.

Another example. Look up cosopt. It is a combo drug of timolol/dorzolamide. Timolol is only 4 bucks. But cosopt (even the generic) can not be found for that place.

Which brings up a great point for others using sites like this. Make sure you are searching for the EXACT drug. Because there are a lot of either look alike medicines, combo drugs, or variable dosages which could vary a drug's price very drastically.

Isnt everything supposed to be free yet?

Any way to get reduced diabetes medicine? My uncle is on it and my grandma pays and doesn't have a lot of money

I just spoke with a pharmacist and amoxicillan does include clavulanate potassium. llvisionll must work for a pharmaceutical or that website. lol

jessthewinner said:   Any way to get reduced diabetes medicine? My uncle is on it and my grandma pays and doesn't have a lot of money

generic for insulin - no
generic for actos - pioglitazone not yet available at WM
may also use metformin discuss with your Dr. Four dollars at WM.
Glyburide four dollars at WM

Generic Actos - Pioglitazone is available in the US, however, it is still generally costly due to few manufacturers making it currently (6 month exclusivity).
Augmentin has clavulanate in addition to the amoxicillin to allow it to be effective against bacteria that is resistant to amoxicillin. Certainly, sometimes amoxicillin by itself is all that is needed, but more and more commonly, the additional ingredient in Augmentin (or its generic) is needed for killing the bacteria.

badboi said:   I just spoke with a pharmacist and amoxicillan does include clavulanate potassium. llvisionll must work for a pharmaceutical or that website. lol

Sorry, but you are backwards. Amoxicillin is NOT the same as Augmentin... Augmentin is Amoxicillin + Clavulanate... the Amoxicillin available on the WalMart list is NOT the same as Augmentin

Clavulanic acid is not an antibiotic itself. It is combined with Amoxicillin to overcome certain types of "resistant" bacteria that cause skin, ear, sinus infections etc. These "resistant" bacteria secrete an enzyme that inactivates Amoxicillin. When Clavulanic acid is added to the Amoxicillin, it tricks the "resistant" bacteria by inhibiting that enzyme from attacking the Amoxicillin, which then allows the Amoxicillin to do its job.

badboi said:   I just spoke with a pharmacist and amoxicillan does include clavulanate potassium. llvisionll must work for a pharmaceutical or that website. lol

Might want to get a new pharmacist. Amoxicillin is the antibiotic. Amoxicillin itself does intrinsically include clavulanic acid. Augmentin is the brand name for the amoxicillin formulation that includes the clavulanic acid component. You can get Augmentin or you can get the Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid formulation as a generic, but it it not the same as Amoxicillin by itself.

Most generic anti-hypoglycemics are free from some local grocery/pharmacy. Just check it out which grocery/pharmacy offer it locally.

Also, try this site..I use this program for my generic ambien. I tell Wegmans to go through this program instead of my health insurance and I can get 30 tablets at half the cost of what it would be if I went through my insurance. My insurance also allows me only 15 tablets a month...

http://www.unarxcard.com/index.php

robby69 said:   Clavulanic acid is not an antibiotic itself. It is combined with Amoxicillin to overcome certain types of "resistant" bacteria that cause skin, ear, sinus infections etc. These "resistant" bacteria secrete an enzyme that inactivates Amoxicillin. When Clavulanic acid is added to the Amoxicillin, it tricks the "resistant" bacteria by inhibiting that enzyme from attacking the Amoxicillin, which then allows the Amoxicillin to do its job.

Hence the name "Augmentin" -- The antibiotic effect has been augmented by the second compound.

Jeez, some of you are just not good material for advanced degrees now are you? Tell me again why you vote. Oh yeah, so you can think you're gonna get free health care. Suckers.

Hey lex in case you haven't heard the Affordable Health Care Act is law of the land. You lost get over it.

badboi said:   Hey lex in case you haven't heard the Affordable Health Care Act is law of the land. You lost get over it.

Unfortunately unless you make less than $40K, the "affordable" part goes out of the healthcare act.
Essentially it expands public aid, and is a tax on the middle class to wealthy.

Family of 3 making
$40K would have a 6.5% of gross pay insurance premium of $2,596
$50K would have a 8.2% of gross pay insurance premium of $4,116
$100K would have a 20% of gross pay insurance premium of $20,116 !!

And if you didn't want insurance for whatever reason, you would pay a tax on your 1040 at the end of the year if you
couldn't provide proof of health insurance.

This calculator estimates the premiums and subsidy's:
http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/healthpolicy/calculator/

So when I spoke with a pharmacist a few days ago I was told that the generic for augmentin with the same compounds was available (amoxicillan/clavulanate). What they didn't say was that the cost of the generic would be $4/pill of 400mg /57mg not $4/prescription.

+1 for Goodrx.

Price for my meds without insurance $61
With my insurance $22
With goodrx $8

Very easy and this was at a local pharmacy... Can't believe how cheap it is

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014